Chapter 6

ICE: Thaw the Frozen Heart [EDITING]

Chapter 6

 

4 Years Ago
Yeojin entered the newly opened cafe. This cafe was unlike the usual cafes. It was a cafe, a music CD shop, and a bookshop all in one place. It had two stories. The first level was for the CD shop and cafe while the upper level is for the book shop. A lot of curious youngsters came on that first day the cafe was opened.

Yeojin walked through the row of the CD shelf looking for the album of her favorite band. Her index finger trailed the CDs one by one, but she couldn't find the CD she was looking for on this shelf. She craned her neck to look over the shoulder-height shelf. Her eyes glinted with excitement when she spotted the album she was looking for on the shelf on the other side. And apparently, it was the last one. A lot of people must have bought it. She immediately jogged to the other side. Her hand was about to reach for the album, when another hand casually took it first.

She glanced at the guy standing in front of the shelf. He was smiling happily at the album.

"Hey! I was about to take it! " Yeojin cluck her tongue and glared at him. The guy turned his head to her in surprise. He didn't notice a girl standing beside him before.

"Ah! Sorry then." He bobbed his head apologizing and Yeojin rolled her eyes. "But first one to take it is the keeper!" He smirked mischievously.

Yeojin scoffed. "Fine!" She exclaimed through gritted teeth. She then turned around and headed upstairs for the book shop.

After walking around for some time, she saw the best-selling novel her friends had been talking about from afar. And again, it was the last one on the shelf. She walked to the shelf and saw the same guy from downstairs walking to it too. She quickly ran and snatched the book just before the boy could take it. The guy was surely taken aback as he blinked at her; his hand was still hanging in the air after wanting to take the book.

"First one, keeper!" Yeojin stuck out her tongue at him.

A little chuckle escaped his mouth when she turned around and his lips formed into an upward curve as he watched her walked away.
 


Yeojin sat down after finding an empty seat in the cafe. The coffee scent made her feel relaxed. She loved how the large glass window made it possible for natural light to enter and lit up the whole building. If only she could sit near the window; she thought. But all the seats were already occupied. She sighed a bit, but smiled anyway and started reading her newly bought novel. She was definitely in her happy bubble. Yet her happiness didn't last long. Someone just decided to pop her happy bubble.

"Mind if I sit here?" A voice surprised her and she lifted her head only to find the same guy from earlier standing in front of her with a smile. He immediately took a seat in front of her when she just stared at him.

"Ya! I didn't say you can. Go sit somewhere else!" She grumbled, but the boy just smiled and took a sip of his drink. /Aish! Jinja!/ Yeojin gritted her teeth and glared at the stranger in front of her.

"Sorry for back there." He finally spoke after putting down his cup of cappuccino. "You got the book though. So we're even." He smiled again. His eyes formed into crescents and his mouth formed a rectangle.

"Yeah whatever!" Yeojin rolled her eyes and went back to reading.

"I'm Baekhyun." The boy suddenly extended his hand. Taken aback, Yeojin stared at his hand and took a breath before finally shaking his hand.

"Yeojin." She introduced herself. /Wait. Why am I introducing myself to this guy?/ She mentally slapped herself, but what's done was done. He smiled again and let go of her hand taking another sip of his cappuccino.

Silence soon captivated them as Yeojin's gaze fell back to her book. Baekhyun, on the other hand, couldn't seem to take his eyes off of her. He propped an elbow on the table and leaned his head on his hand as he watched her silently reading. He watched slightly parting every now and then, and admired her long eyelashes that casted a soft shadow below her eyes as she looked down.

"Stop staring at me." Yeojin broke the silence without looking at him. He was startled, but chuckled soon after.

"You know...," Baekhyun started, "I can lend you the CD after I copied the songs to my computer and maybe you can lend me the book after you finish reading it?"

His suggestion made Yeojin lift her head. She thought for awhile before slowly nodding. "Sure! Not a bad idea! Let's do that!" She gave him a small smile and resumed her reading.

"Ah!" Baekhyun suddenly exclaimed startling Yeojin. He then took out a portable disc player.

Yeojin's eyes widened seeing the round thing. /Who still has that thing today?/ She giggled in her mind.

"Wanna listen to it for awhile now?" He asked raising his earphone after putting the CD inside. Yeojin froze and only blinked at him. Baekhyun let out a breathy chuckle seeing her cute surprised expression. He leaned forward and Yeojin's heart suddenly picked its pace at the close distance between their faces. He moved back and smiled at her after plugging in the earphone on one of her ears. The music played and the corner of Yeojin's lips curled upward.

 


"No! No! Stop!"

She saw the sharp object pierced through his flesh and he collapsed to the ground.

"NOOO!" Yeojin screamed.

"Ya! Ya! Yeojin!" Kris shook Yeojin's body to wake her up.

Yeojin's eyes flew open and she sat up on her bed panting for air.

"Ya! Are you- are you okay?" Kris asked her; worry written all over his face.

Yeojin gulped before her gaze moved to the guy sitting on her bed.

"W-why are you here?" She asked him in between pants with widened eyes. Kris sighed feeling relief and rolled his eyes.

"Your scream woke me up. You've been shouting, you know?"

"Mi-mianhe," Yeojin apologized looking down.

"Yeah! You should be!" He spat and looked away. He slowly glanced from the corner of his eyes back at her who was still hanging her head down and was now squeezing her eyes.

"Nightmare?" He asked softly making her open her eyes and look at him. She didn't answer and only chewed her lip. "That memory again?" He questioned again and she pursed her lips while hanging her head down. Kris let out a breath of scoff as he looked away. "He's not even that handsome to be remembered," Kris mumbled under his breath, but it didn't go unheard by Yeojin.

"I heard that!" She glared at him and pouted. Kris only glared back and pursed his lips. "What time is it?" Yeojin asked.

"5 am. Go back to sleep." Kris stood up from the bed and walked to the door exiting the bedroom.

He plopped on the couch and lied down bringing one arm to the back of his head as if it was a pillow. Was he that unforgettable to her? Kris sighed and closed his eyes drifting back to his interrupted slumber.



Kris' closed eyes twitched as his nose smelled something pleasant. He slowly sat up rubbing his eyes and yawned. He then stood up and walked to the kitchen hearing the sound of streaming water and something clanging coming from there.

"Oh hey!" Yeojin greeted as soon as Kris entered the kitchen while she was washing the pan. Kris nodded returning her greeting. "I've made you coffee and some pancakes too!"

"Thanks," he mumbled and she smiled before diverting her attention back to washing the pan. Kris sat down on the high chair of the island counter and took a sip of his coffee. "Did you just get up again?" He asked looking at her back and her lightly swinging pony tail while he poured maple syrup on his pancakes.

Yeojin paused for a moment before humming and nodding to answer him while she was now washing her dish. The truth was she didn't go back to sleep after Kris left the bedroom. No. She couldn't sleep. She had been cleaning the house and the kitchen to kill the time before she finally made the pancakes.

"By the way..." She shut off the water when she finished washing the dish and turned to look at Kris who was enjoying the pancakes. "I'm gonna take a walk and maybe buy some supplies. Do you want me to buy anything for you?"

"Hmm... No," he answered with mouth full of pancake.

"Okay then. I'm going!"

Yeojin picked her autumn coat and scarf that were hung on the hanger near the door and exited the house. She put on the coat over her long sleeves shirt and encircled her scarf around her neck while she walked towards the gate door.

Once she completely stepped out of the house, she breathed in the autumn air and walked leisurely. Autumn was actually not her favorite season. It always gave her that sad feeling - that mellow vibe. Not to mention it is usually accompanied by rainy season. And rain and Yeojin definitely didn't go together. But feeling the cold autumn breeze hitting her face this time made her feel refreshed.

 


Yeojin came out of the super market with a plastic bag in her hand. She walked pass a small cafe and stopped in her step. Through the window, she watched a couple happily conversing.

"I'm Baekhyun!" His voice echoed and his square smile and crescent eyes were painted in her mind. She quickly shut her eyes at the memory because that memory was always followed by a pang in her heart.

The sudden rumbling of the sky made her immediately opened her eyes. She looked up at the sky and saw dark clouds slowly gathering.

"Oh crap!" Yeojin quickly ran. She passed few other stores and restaurants and stopped when the traffic light turned red. She bit down her lip and tapped her feet waiting for the light to turn green and praying for the sky not to tear up just yet. But luck was not on her side today. Drops of water started falling lightly as she ran crossing the street with one hand covering the top of her head. But once she reached the other end, no drops of water touched her head. She tilted her head and saw an umbrella over her.

"Kris?" She gasped in surprise and Kris let out a deep sigh.

"You just can't take care of yourself and leave me alone in peace can you?"

"S-s-sorry," she apologized and hung her head low while protruding her lower lip. "I didn't ask you to come though," she mumbled under her breath.

"Yeah but you didn't remember to bring an umbrella either." He sighed. "Let's just go home!" Kris exclaimed as he took the plastic bag from her hand making her blink astonished. "Come on!" He gestured with his head and Yeojin followed him.

They walked silently side by side under one umbrella. Every time thunder roared loudly, Yeojin would flinched and shut her eyes. It didn't go unnoticed by Kris. He shifted the umbrella so that it was now held by his hand that was carrying the plastic bag. Yeojin was squeezing her eyes when she felt an arm around her shoulders pulling her. She opened her eyes and looked at Kris puzzled and at his hand on her shoulder.

"Stop flinching will you?" He scoffed while looking ahead. "It's annoying!" She glared at him and pouted.

They continued walking silently. This time, every time the sound of thunder was heard, Kris would tighten his embrace around her not even giving her a chance to flinch. A smile crept on Yeojin's face every time he did so. It was beyond her own mind how he could made her feel safe. No, she didn't feel any butterflies in her stomach or her heart beating faster. She just felt... safe. And it certainly made her happy. To her, this kind of feeling was more meaningful than those kind of fluttering feelings. It made her feel like Kris was still that same Yifan she knew before. That Yifan who was a caring brother.

 


Monday. A word that can make people heave a heavy sigh of laziness. And when rain accompanies it, the laziness just multiplies.

"Eottoke?" Yeojin sighed looking out the window. She was ready to go out for school, but heavens weren't on her side. The sky just decided to rain before she even went out of her house.

"I'll drop you off," Kris suddenly said gloomily from behind and startled her.

"Ne?"

"It's raining." Kris pointed out at the window.

"It's okay. I can take the umbrella and-"

"And you will catch a cold later and our moms will nag me to take care of you. I'll drop you off." Kris took her bag and walked out with an umbrella toward the garage. Yeojin stood frozen for a moment surprised by his action. "Are you coming or not?" Kris asked standing in front of the door. Yeojin nodded and followed behind him.



"Just drop me off here." Yeojin told Kris to pull over just before the car reached the school's gate.

"Here?"

"I'll just walk with the umbrella." Yeojin unbuckled her seatbelt.

"Why? I'll just drop you off at the school's lobby."

She blinked at him. "Well...do you want people to know we're related?"

"Right." Kris cleared his throat. Why did I worry anyway? It's better this way. I don't have to endure having her in my car much longer.

Yeojin shifted on her seat and took her bag.

"Quickly! Get off!" Kris snapped and Yeojin glowered at him before finally opening the umbrella and get off the car.

"You were the one who worried in the first place," She sneered when the car ride off. She then caught some movements from the corner of her eyes, but when she turned to look to her left no one is there. She just shrugged it off and walked to the school.

 


The last registration sheet was pinned on the school's news board.

"That's the last one right?" Yeojin asked Sehun who was pinning his last sheet too. They both had been going around the school after school posting the registration forms for the track and field competition.

"Yeah! That's the last one." Sehun nodded and walked pass her. Yeojin eyed him raising an eyebrow.

"Why is he so much more gloomy today?" She mumbled before following him to the student council's office.

"Is there anything else?" Yeojin asked him as soon as they entered the room.

"No."

"Okay. I'll get going then." She bowed and turned around for the doors.

"Wait." Sehun stopped her and she turned back around facing him. "Is this yours?" He showed her the gold ring.

Yeojin gasped and her eyes rounded in surprise. "It is!" She took the ring from his hand. "Where did you find it?" She asked with a grin as she checked the ring.

"Here." He answered putting his hands in his pockets.

"Oh my! Thank you! Seriously! Thanks!" Yeojin jumped up and down a little bit.

Sehun suddenly bended his body a little and leaned closer to her. Yeojin immediately back away and pursed her lips. He then squinted his eyes at her.

"W-w-wae?" She blinked a few times. "You don't believe it's mine? It's really mine! I've been looking all over for this ring. You can ask the school's guard!" She ranted all in one breath.

Sehun straighten his body and crossed his arms. "I believe you."

"G-good." She quickly look away. "I'll get going-"

"I do believe you. That's why I can't shake off this suspicion I have."

Yeojin looked at him and bit down her lip. Confusion and anxiousness were evident on her face.

"So let me ask you something," he continued while walking closer to her. She slowly walked backward till her back finally touched the wall. Sehun placed his hands on the wall entrapping her. Sehun's eyes bored hers and he asked, "What is your relationship with Kris Wu?" Yeojin's eyes immediately widened. She thought he had forgotten about the whole meeting-Kris incident.

"Ye?"

"That guy at your house the other day...," he leaned even closer, "He's Kris Wu the chairman of Titan Wu, isn't he? Why is he at your house?" Yeojin stood frozen as she felt his breath on her face.