Chapter 18

ICE: Thaw the Frozen Heart [EDITING]

Chapter 18

 

Yeojin bit her lip seeing the circled number on her accounting quiz paper.

40?! Seriously, Yeojin? She hit her own head, feeling frustrated of herself.

"So, now you have seen your grades," Miss Moon, the accounting teacher, said. "I have to say that I'm happy to see your grades - well at least almost all of you," the lady made sure to make eye contact with Yeojin before beaming at the others again.

The girl wished she were a turtle right then so she could just hide in her shell while the others cheered at the compliment.

"Don't be too happy just yet. You still have the upcoming midterm exam. So you better not slack off." The students groaned at the announcement. "You may now have your break before proceeding to your next class."

The class president cued the others to greet her. Soon after, they all stood up and went out of the class.

"Hey," Sunhee slung an arm around Yeojin's neck, "cheer up, kay?" She lightly pinched Yeojin's cheek and Yeojin just sighed. Sunhee had not seen Yeojin's grade, but judging from her slumped shoulders, she knew it must not be good. "Come on, let's get some snacks before the class starts." Sunhee said, pulling Yeojin's hand.

"Miss Kwon," Miss Moon called just as they were at the door. "I need to speak with you for a minute."

Yeojin sighed again and Sunhee looked at her worriedly.

"It's okay," Yeojin gave her a small smile. "You go on. It'll just take a minute."

"Okay," Sunhee finally answered but only after hesitating a few times and giving her friend a little hug.

Yeojin walked up to the front where Miss Moon was taking a seat again.

Her eyes automatically gazed down on the floor, her head bowed, feeling embarrassed of her grade. She wasn't a genius in her class like a certain ice block she knew, but she was never the plankton of the class either. She had always been a pretty good student.

But when it came to numbers, specifically accounting... Even her private tutor almost gave up on her.

"Yeojin," Miss Moon started, "I know you struggled with this subject, but you never scored this low before. And your homework grades are getting worse each week too. Is everything all right, Miss Kwon? Is anything bothering you at home as of late?" She questioned.

You mean other than having a husband (who's currently acting weird) at such a young age , and being tangled with another confusing guy? Yeah, nothing's bothering me. My life is just perfect! Except for this accounting score. Yeojin ranted sarcastically in her mind.

Noting her hesitancy, Miss Moon let out a sigh. "Look, I'm not trying to pry on your personal life, but if it causes you to flunk in my subject, then as a teacher I'm responsible to help you."

Yeojin abruptly lifted her head. "Nothing's bothering me, Ma'am," she quickly said. "Everything's fine at home." She forced a smile and bit down her lip. "I just find the subject getting harder."

"Alright," the teacher crossed her arms. "Either way, I have decided that you need some tutoring for the subject."

Oh lady, you have no idea! I need more than a tutor when it comes to accounting. I need God to do a miracle for me.

"I've found a tutor for you," Miss Moon announced.

Wait. She's serious about this? Yeojin's eyes grew wide. "Actually, Miss, I do have a private tu-"

Miss Moon stood up gathering her books to be cradled in her arm. "Come to the teacher's office after school."

"But I already-"

"The midterm exam is only two weeks from now. So, I do hope you get yourself together and study well with your tutor."

"But I-"

"No buts, young lady. This is an order." With that, Miss Moon gave her a pat on the shoulder and exited the class.

Oh boy! Yeojin deflated with a sigh.


KNOCK KNOCK.

"Come in," Kris replied without looking up from his laptop.

He heard the door being opened and  shut before footsteps approached him.

"Mr. Lee, can you get me the document on-," Kris looked up only to shut his mouth the next second.

The guy who just entered chuckled seeing his expression.

"Suho, why are you here?" Kris questioned when he finally found his voice again.

"What? I can't visit my friend and my chairman?" He asked back over a chuckle as Kris stood up and approached him.

Kris chuckled along as they gave each other a little hug and a pat on the back.

"Well, it's been awhile since you last visited the HQ just for the sake of visiting me."

Suho laughed. "Wanna go for a coffee break?" He offered.

"Sure." Kris went back to his desk to turn off his lapptop. "Let's go." 



"So, everything good?" Suho took a sip of his coffee and placed down his cup.

"If by good you mean a lot of papers to work on, then yeah. Life's good." Kris shrugged, taking a sip of his coffee as Suho chuckled.

"What about your marriage life? How's Yeojin?" He cocked his head to the side.

Kris narrowed his eyes at him before brushing the question off. "Let's not talk about it."

"Why? No progress whatsoever?"

Kris was suddenly reminded of what happened last night. And when he found Yeojin still asleep in his arms this morning, he couldn't help but to smile at the warmth he was feeling inside. But he soon snapped himself out of it and pried himself away from her. Why was he even smiling? Why did he even decide that a hug from her can ease his pain? He couldn't understand it himself.

Kris cleared his throat, remembering the presence of his friend. He loosened his tie a bit, suddenly feeling the temperature in the cafe rose, and raised his cup to his lips again.

"I see..." Suho nodded with a mischievous smirk. "There is a progress, huh? Something happened between you two? Probably...," he dragged, raising a brow, "last night?"

Kris choked on his coffee at the question. "Ya! What are you talking about?! Aish!" He coughed and Suho just laughed at the reaction.

"But seriously, how's Yeojin?"

"Don't know, don't care," Kris answered brusquely.


"Miss Moon?" Yeojin approached the teacher after bowing to several teachers she passed by.

"Oh, Yeojin! You're here. Here, take a seat." She pulled another teacher's vacant chair for Yeojin and the girl complied. She then checked her watch before turning to Yeojin again. "Your tutor should be here any minute now."

"O-okay." Yeojin nodded. She bit down her lip thinking of telling Miss Moon that she actually had a private tutor. "Actually, Miss-"

"Miss Moon," a voice greeted and Yeojin's eyes immediately widened when she recognized the voice.

"Oh, you're here!" Miss Moon beamed.

Yeojin looked up at the intruder and found Sehun looking back at her with raised eyebrows.

"What are you doing here?" He asked.

"None of your business," Yeojin mumbled.

"I see you both are acquainted with one another already," Miss Moon said with a smile. "Well that's good then!" She clapped her hands once. "Yeojin, Sehun is going to be your tutor."

"Pardon me?" Yeojin looked back at the teacher. "He-he's my tutor?" She pointed at the said guy and her lips parted in surprise.

Sehun tried to hold back his chuckle at the information. "So she's the one you said got 40, Miss?"

Miss Moon nodded and Yeojin lowered her head in embarrassment, clicking her tongue.

Ugh! Why does it have to be him? "Miss Moon," she decided to protest, "actually I already have a private tuto-"

Sehun suddenly put an arm around her shoulders and swiftly brought her to stand up from her seat. Miss Moon blinked at how Sehun pulled Yeojin closer to his side.

"Don't worry, Miss. I'll take care of her."

His arm slid away from her shoulder only for his hand to take hers. He bobbed his head to Miss Moon before pulling her along out of the office.


Suho and Kris laughed as they recounted their high school days. Suho smiled at how the chairman everyone labeled as a cold person was at least still able to show his real self to him.

He then sighed and gazed down at his cup, running a finger on the brim of the cup. Truthfully, he had been wondering whether he should tell Kris about the matter that had been bothering him.

This didn't go unnoticed by Kris. He raised an eyebrow at him and placed down his cup.

"Okay. Spill it out." Kris crossed his arms. "You obviously have something weighing your mind."

Suho raised his gaze and a corner of his lips curled up. He just couldn't hide anything from the man.

"Actually, I didn't come just to meet you."

"C'yeah." Kris scoffed. "What a surprise there." He sarcastically said with a smirk.

"It's the hotel's performance review." Suho ran a hand over his face. "It's not really good." His shoulders slumped. "And your Vice Chairman isn't happy about it."

Kris hummed and nodded, lowering his gaze.

"But something's strange." Suho continued as he knitted his brows. Kris lifted his gaze, waiting for him to continue. "The guests' complaints, the management issues, and just all the hotel fiasco - they all happened just exactly a week before the performance review is due. And call it coincidence, but I heard the Vice's son is coming back to Korea. I'm not sure when exactly, but I heard it's this week." Suho clicked his tongue before raising his cup to his lips.

"What does it have to do with all this?" Kris tried to follow Suho's line of thought.

"Well, let's not kid ourselves here. We both know that as close as the Vice was with your father, he's not that fond of you being the chairman. But he knows he can't touch you, so he's messing around with the people you chose. And I just so happen to be one of them. Plus, he knows I'm your favorite." Suho grinned at the end and Kris scoffed shaking his head.

"'My favorite'? Yeah, dream on, dude!" Kris smirked at Suho before drinking his coffee again. "Well, don't worry. I'm not gonna let him do anything to you or the hotel. But I don't get it. What does his son have to do with all this? With you?"

"You didn't know? I thought you guys were pretty close." Suho's eyes rounded in surprise.

Kris rolled his eyes. "Need I remind you that he stole my girlfriend?"

"What?" Suho snickered. "The one back in junior high? You weren't even serious with her. You were just playing with her. Of course she fell for him instead, you idiot!"

Kris just shrugged. "Still." He sipped his coffee. "He stole her."

"Good for her," Suho commented just to annoy him. "Anyway, I was saying... He's majoring in hospitality business and hotel management. So yeah, it might just be my overthinking, but put the puzzles together, Chairman."


"Thanks," he winked at the immigration lady, who handed back his passport, before putting his shades again. He smirked at the tint of blush appearing on the lady's cheeks.

After getting his luggage he pushed the trolley. The glass door slid open revealing a bunch of people waiting for their friends, families, or loved ones come out from the door. He scanned the people and found a paper with his name on it held by a lady. She was wearing a white blouse and a black pencil skirt perfectly showing the curves of her body. Her wavy hair cascaded down over one of her shoulders.

He pulled down his shades a bit and a smirk curled on his lips along with a low whistle. He adjusted his shades and pushed his trolley, approaching the lady.

The lady looked up at the towering figure who then took off his shades and crossed his arms.

"Hey, pretty!" He flashed a smile. "Guess my dad has come to understand my taste now." He winked at her and she lowered her head to hide her reddened cheeks.

"Are you...," she slowly looked up at him again, "are you Mr. Park's son, Sir?"

"Please," he extended a hand, "just call me Chanyeol."


A/N:

Surprise, surprise! 
Haha

Happy early valentine's day, everyone!