Chapter 16

ICE: Thaw the Frozen Heart [EDITING]

Chapter 16

 

He entered his room and tossed away his bag before taking off his leather jacket. He then plopped on his bed, finally feeling relieved. He just lay there, bringing an arm over his eyes. For a moment, Sehun seemed like a sleeping stone if it weren't for his adam apple that bobbed up and down when he softly gulped.

He squeezed his covered eyes even more trying to erase the image of her pout, her frown, her smile, her. He wanted to not think about her. But she just seemed to invade his mind whether his eyes were opened or closed. He couldn't stop thinking about why he couldn't take his eyes off of her when they were eating at the street vendor earlier. She just kept on coming back into his mind. It started ever since that day he saw how free she was when she ran. It started since that day she made him laugh.

Sehun knew all he had to do was to avoid her and just end the dating game. Yet, he couldn't bring himself to do so.

Why?

That was the very question he kept on asking himself.

Why her? Why couldn't he just avoid her? Why did he even start this dating crap? Why was it so easy to be around her? And why was he stupid enough to ask her on a... date tomorrow?

He finally uncovered and slowly opened his eyes with a sigh. He got up from the bed, and from his bag, he took out the shirt she returned to him when he dropped her off. He stared at it for awhile before putting it aside.

He remembered that telling her to be his girlfriend was a way to prove whether she was Kris Wu's wife or not. But why did he even care about that? At first, he was sure that it mattered to him because he wanted to prove that there was at least one flaw in the man his father always told him to be like. Concealing his marriage won't be too much of a flaw, but marrying a minor would be one big flaw.

His dad had always told him to be better than Kris or at least be like him ever since he was in junior high. He always heard of how people viewed the said guy as perfect. Sure people knew that he might have flaws too, but they overlooked them because of the power and wealth he would inherited. And since then, Sehun despised those that people viewed as perfect.

However, there was this nagging feeling in the back of his mind that told him what he started with Yeojin was never about Kris in the first place. Kris was just an excuse. It was all because of Yeojin.

Yeojin was the girl everyone thought as the smart scholarship student. She was the girl that didn't fight back when some looked down on her. She was easy going, friendly and kind and loved by those closest to her.

She was perfect.

Too perfect. And this was not other people's opinion. This was how Sehun himself thought of her. He thought he hated 'perfect' people, but he found himself drawn to her. Maybe it was because he was the one who thought of her as perfect. And he hated that feeling; that feeling of being drawn to her. And he didn't want to fall for her. He didn't want a repeat of history.

But he couldn't help it. A part of him was already liking her. And as much as he hated to admit it, he was already falling for her. So now, he needed to prove to himself that the girl was not perfect. She might have a lot of little black dots in her life, but the only black dot that could repel him from falling for her was if she really turned out to be Kris Wu's wife.

Something was telling him that his suspicion was the truth, and that was why he wanted to stop himself from being drawn to her. But he needed a proof. Getting her to admit it wouldn't be easy, nonetheless. Thus - although this sounded paradoxical to his goal - the only way he could do was to insist on keeping her as his girlfriend unless she admit it to it right away. He knew that it would just be a matter of time before she grew tired of the dating game and spilled the beans herself.


"You. I see you as too perfect."

His words earlier kept on resounding in Yeojin's mind. She could feel again that uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach. She remembered how she couldn't utter a single word.

"I have to prove to myself that you're not."
That was the biggest nonsense she had ever heard. She told him that he didn't have to go through the hassle of being her boyfriend if that was his intention because she could just tell him herself all her imperfections. So they didn't have to date.

Sehun asked her why she wanted to break up so much. It wasn't like he tortured her, anyway. She got nothing to lose. And he pointed out that if she insisted on breaking up that just show that she was indeed Kris Wu's wife. Not that he would complain about it because, frankly, that was his goal. His words just confused her and she retorted with asking why he sounded like he wanted to keep this relationship so much? Sehun stayed silent for awhile, staring at her right in her eyes. Yeojin swore there was something he was holding back.

"It's your call though," he finally spoke with the tiniest smirk on his lips. "I'm not pushing you. If you wanna break up, let's do so. But you know what message you're telling me."

Yeojin didn't know what to say then. She looked down avoiding his gaze. She wanted to end it already and just let him know the truth, but she wasn't sure of what he would do with the information if she did tell him the truth. She pondered for a long time before feeling his hand grabbing hers. When she looked up at him, his playful smirk had returned and all seriousness in his eyes were gone.

"Think about it later. Right now, there are still other artworks we haven't seen," he pulled her along with him as they explored the gallery.

I must've gone crazy. And what's with him saying I'm too perfect in his eyes? Isn't he indirectly saying he does kinda like me in a way? He must be crazy.

Yeojin heaved out a breath of frustration as she ruffled her hair with a hand.

"What is it?" Kris asked and Yeojin raised her gaze to him who was sitting across her.

"Nothing," she lowered her head.

"Nothing? You've been sighing for several times," he continued, "and you're only playing with your food," he pointed at her plate with his chopsticks. "I know I'm no chef, but shouldn't you at least appreciate my hard work?" He clucked his tongue.

"I-it's not that I don't appreciate it. I just...," she sighed again and Kris thought she looked like a deflating balloon.

Kris just shook his head. "Just eat first and think about whatever you wanted to think about later."

Yeojin pursed her lips and nodded. Silence ensued as they ate. And though it was clear that both wanted to say something, none of them uttered a word. When they both finally opened their mouths, they spoke at the same time.

"So-," Kris stopped himself when he heard Yeojin spoke too.

"Should I just tell Sehun the truth?" She asked in one breath.

"What? Why?" He asked, surprised.

And just those simple questions elicited yet another sigh from her as she lowered her head. "It's just that... It doesn't feel right to lie to him any longer."

"Oh, so you're thinking of his feelings now?" Kris asked sarcastically. The possibility of it being a 'yes' slightly irked him.

"Ani. It's not that. I just don't wanna fall into a complicated relationship with him."

"So why did you agree on being his girlfriend in the first place?"

Yeojin rolled her eyes. "I was put on the edge at that time. He saw the ring and the symbol."

"And why did you have to be so clumsy losing that ring? If it weren't for it, you wouldn't be in this situation. But what's done is done. And you made the decision to play his game, you gotta be responsible with it."

"I can end it if I tell him the truth," Yeojin pressed.

"And what? Risk him telling the world of us?"

Yeojin opened to say that she didn't think Sehun would do so, but then she remembered his admitting to disliking Kris, which meant he might spread the secret, so she didn't say a thing.

"Look," this time Kris was the one who sighed, "I don't like you dating him either, but the mess has been made and the only way to clean it up is to stick with his game. For now, that is."

He then realized that Yeojin was just blankly staring at him. The only words that were registered in her mind were 'I don't like you dating him either'.

He doesn't like me dating Sehun? She was taken aback by those words which Kris didn't even seem to realize he had uttered.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" Kris snapped her out of her thoughts.

"Nothing." She bit down her lip and lowered her head. "There is something bothering me though." She suddenly commented with furrowed brows. "Until now, I still don't understand how Sehun even had the slightest idea of you being married."

That actually got Kris to think too. It couldn't be their family or Yeojin's closest friends who leaked the secret. It couldn't be them either. Unless... He thought.

Unless the guy heard it from Kris himself. He did often admit to being married whenever businessmen tried to introduce their daughters to him.

Kris awkwardly cleared his throat, feeling guilty somehow.

"Oh! By the way," he looked back at Yeojin, "when you're done eating, just leave the plate. I'll wash it."

Yeojin lifted her head in surprise. Kris was not behaving like himself today. First, cooking, and now washing dishes? He didn't usually want to do the dishes or any other chores for that matter.

"What?" Kris asked brusquely when he caught her just staring at him again.

"Nothing," she slowly shook her head.

Little did she know that making himself busy with chores was his defense mechanism. It was Kris' way of pushing away the pang that was still lingering in his heart.

After Yeojin excused herself to the bedroom, Kris was left washing the dishes. His phone vibrated on the counter, but he ignored the incoming call. After doing the dishes, he proceeded to his desk to work.

It wasn't until he lay down on the couch, a few hours later, did he finally looked at his phone. He saw several missed calls and one message from the same contact.

From: Areum 
[19.04] Yifan, I know I've hurt you, but can we at least talk?

Kris just locked his phone and tossed it to the side. He did not want to think of the matter at the moment. He decided to sleep.

Just a few minutes after closing his eyes, he could hear light drops of drizzle outside. He slowly opened his eyes and wondered if Yeojin was already asleep. He weighed in his mind whether to check on her or not. He decided on the latter, considering the girl had been sleeping well these past few days even with heavy rain. So, Kris closed his eyes again. But a moment later, he heard the bedroom's door creaked open and sounds of steps approached him.

He opened his eyes and sat up on the couch just when Yeojin entered the living room. She was shuffling her feet and avoiding his gaze. He saw how she bit down her lip and scratch the nape of her neck.

"Umm...," she was hesitant to ask.

But, Kris knew what she wanted to ask. "You were sleeping alone just fine for a few days."

"I-I was?" She rubbed her nape and her gaze zeroed in on the floor. A disappointed sigh escaped her lips. "O-okay. Sorry for bothering you. I'll try to sleep by myself-"

"It's okay! I'll sleep with you!" Kris suddenly cut in and his statement made Yeojin's eyes widened. Seeing the look on her face, he belatedly realized what he just said. "I meant... I'll accompany you," he averted his gaze from her and abruptly stood up. "I don't wanna wake up to your scream again. Come on!" He walked past her and entered the bedroom first.



After half an hour, the rain didn't get any heavier and continued to just be drizzle. Yet, both Kris and Yeojin still lay awake. Though the rain was not heavy, Yeojin still flinched whenever low rumble in the sky was heard. She would curl into a ball under the blanket and squeeze her eyes shut. Kris had been noticing this, but he didn't know what to do. Yeojin had been lying sideways with her back on him once they were on the bed.

It was pretty awkward when they were lying down side by side. It wasn't their first time sleeping on the same bed, but the times they did before, either they were already too tired to argue or Yeojin was already asleep first. Thus, to actually crawled to bed together - when they were both still awake and conscious - casted an awkward atmosphere over them.

"Ya. Are you asleep?" Kris finally spoke up. Yeojin just shook her head. "W-wanna... hold onto my arm?" He offered hesitantly.

"No, it's okay," came her small voice. "I just need to know I'm not sleeping alone."

Kris stayed silent after that, wondering what he should do because Yeojin clearly couldn't sleep, but her pride was just too big for her to admit needing someone to hold her. They stayed like that for the longest time. Kris was gazing up at the ceiling while Yeojin still had her back on him.

As minutes passed by, the sound of dropping water hitting the ground outside started getting louder. The rain poured harder and flashes of lightning appeared along with a loud sound of thunderclaps.

Yeojin jumped a little at that and pulled the duvet to wrap around her even more.

Kris sighed and mumbled under his breath, "stupid hard-headed girl!"

Yeojin was squeezing her eyes shut when she suddenly felt an arm slipped under her body and another hand on her arm turning her around. When her eyes flew open, she was already facing Kris' chest. His arms were wrapped around her body.

"Y-ya," her voice croaked as she looked up at him, but Kris was having none of her complaints.

"Just shut up." He rearranged the duvet over them and finally closed his eyes with a contented small smile. "We both need to sleep and I can't sleep with your constant flinching and pulling of the duvet."

"But-"

"Shush! You need this." He tightened his arms around her as a sign for her to stop talking back. He rested his chin on top of her head, and before long, Yeojin could hear his steady breathing.

However, unlike him, she couldn't sleep just yet. And this time it wasn't because of the clamor of pouring rain and loud thunder outside. She couldn't even register those sounds in her ears anymore. It was like the sounds outside had been muffled. She now could only feel comfort and safety - something that she usually only felt from her mom's embrace whenever she was going to have a panic attack. The clamor outside had been replaced by the only sound she could hear in her ears: the quick beating of her heart.

She was not the only one feeling it though. Kris had not fallen asleep either. He too felt his own heart beating faster, and he could only wish she couldn't hear it.

 


A/N:
Sorry it's not as long as usual hehe
And just to be clear, the first part where Sehun was contemplating takes place after chapter 14 and before chapter 15.