Chapter 24

ICE: Thaw the Frozen Heart [EDITING]

Chapter 24

 

Sehun had been meaning to ask her if anything was troubling her ever since they chose a table at the Burger King. But seeing how she was eager to study, he decided to put his question aside and answered her questions about the subjects to be tested instead as they chewed their burgers. They ended up staying at Burger King for hours before they hopped to a cafe and continued studying there until it was almost dinner time.

Sehun was going to drop her home right away, but Yeojin suggested eating dinner together which surprised him. Honestly, he didn't mind one bit to spend more time with her. Yet, the fact that she was the one who initiated it raised more questions in his mind. They settled with convenience-store food for dinner. Yeojin was awfully quiet throughout dinner unlike when they were studying. She obviously had something in mind. 
 

"We're here," he announced as the motorbike stopped in front of her house. 

Yeojin weakly alighted with a sigh but gave him a small smile when she handed him the helmet. "Thanks." Her gaze fell to the ground before she turned around to head for the door.

"Wait." Sehun took off his helmet. Yeojin turned to look at him with raised brows before he asked, "Are you okay?"

Her eye brows were lifted higher before they went down, and her lips curled upward. "Yeah. I'm okay." She shrugged. "Thanks again." She turned back around, but Sehun grabbed her hand.

Yeojin looked down at her hand in his and then at Sehun. She opened to ask, but he beat her to it.

"I know we got off the wrong foot," he started as his eyes held her gaze, "but I'm still your boyfriend." Yeojin felt her heart did a little jump at that, and without realizing, she held her breath. "Just know that whatever it is...," he paused trying to find the right words. He wanted to say 'you can trust me' but that sounded like a lie considering how they started. "I'm here," he decided to say that instead.

Yeojin was taken aback by his words. She could only blink at him. She couldn't understand why every time he did or say little things to her recently, it made her want to stay beside him a little longer. She then felt the warmth that was engulfing her hand left. 

Sehun let go of her hand. "Study a bit more." He wore back his helmet. "But don't sleep too late." He ruffled her hair and she ducked her head at his touch.

"T-thanks," she stuttered.

"Go inside." He nodded his head toward the door.

Yeojin slowly nodded and walked toward the door. She looked back at him and saw him smiled before he swiveled down the visor of his helmet and rode his motorbike away. She sighed and opened the door of the gate. Her heart suddenly picked its pace as she passed the garden and headed to her house. She paused in front of the door to her house and bit down her lip.

Is he here already? She questioned in her mind. Idiot! Of course he's home, it's already past seven. With trembling heart, she opened the door.

"Where have you been?" Kris immediately stood up from the couch when he heard the door open.

Yeojin lowered her head when Kris approached her. She tried to walk past him, but he blocked the way.

"We need to talk-"

"Not now," she immediately spoke; her tone was biting. She glanced up at him, but the thought of him touching her body suddenly made her self-conscious; thus, she immediately looked away. "I... I-I need to study for the exam tomorrow, and I'm really tired right now, and-" She gulped when she looked up and found him staring at her. She looked away again. "And I don't want to see you right now." Kris still stood in front of her. She took a deep breath to calm herself down. "Please," her voice came out croaked.

Kris sighed and stepped away. With ducked head, Yeojin quickly went to the bedroom. She let out a sigh of relief once she closed the door behind her. She wasn't sure if she was still angry or if she was just plain embarrassed. One thing she knew for sure was she couldn't face him just yet.

The next day, Yeojin came home earlier and Kris found her studying when he came. He wanted to talk, but seeing how she was busy with the exam week, he decided not to bother her for now. 

Yeojin was glad that Kris didn't bother her for the next two days. There was one thing that bothered her though: that urge inside her to call, text, or look for Sehun. 

Now she tossed and her bed, not being able to sleep. She felt all warm and fuzzy inside as she remembered Sehun's little gestures.

She then shook her head. What is wrong with me? She closed her eyes trying to sleep, but it was to no avail. The thought of her issue with Kris was not helping her at all no matter how hard she tried to push it to the back of her mind. Just sleep, Yeojin. Sleep. She told herself.

It was as if everything was against her today. She was finally just about to slip into slumber when a low rumble in the sky was heard. Her eyes shot open at that and she pulled the duvet to cover her more. She closed her eyes, trying harder to sleep, but the moment she closed them, flashes of that memory came flooding her mind. Her eyes flew open again in horror. She checked the clock on her bedside table. It was already past nine and there was no sign of Kris in the house. 

Is he purposely coming home late to not bother me? She gulped and mentally cursed herself for ignoring him.

Yeojin felt her cheeks were wet, and she just realized that she had been crying. She squeezed her eyes shut, balled the duvet in her hands and took a sharp breath as thunder clapped. Within seconds, she felt her heart painfully beating fast and images of blood and knife flashed in her mind. Oh god, no! She moaned in agony.


Kris closed his laptop and gathered his suit jacket that was draped on his chair's backrest. He put it over his right forearm while checking his watch. It was already ten to nine and he still had to attend one last meeting for the day. Mr. Lee entered his office as Kris strode to the door.

"The car is ready, sir," the PA bobbed his head.

"And my car?" Kris asked as they both exited the room.

"I will bring it to you tomorrow morning." They walked to the elevator and Mr. Lee pressed the button. "The investor will arrive at the airport in 20 minutes, and so I've booked a table at a nearby restaurant for you."

While Mr. Lee was explaining, Kris noticed the dark sky when he glanced at the window. His eyes zeroed down to the floor as he suddenly felt uneasy. A minute later, the sky let out a low roar and Kris' head immediately snapped toward his assistant.

"Cancel the meeting and tell someone to get my car now," he spoke calmly though with urgency. 

"But the meeting is important sir. The investor-"

"I said cancel it and get my car now, Mr. Lee!" He now raised his voice and glared at the older man. 

Mr. Lee jumped in shock and fumbled for his phone with shaky hand. While Mr. Lee gave instruction over the phone to the valet parking boy downstairs, Kris couldn't stop staring at the dark sky. He quickly fished for his phone and dialed Yeojin's number. The line had rung twice when the elevator ding opened. He hurriedly stepped inside with Mr. Lee and the line was cut because of lack of signal in the compartment. He nervously bit down his lip as his eyes continuously darted to the descending numbers. 

"Sir," Mr. Lee tried to ask.

Kris looked down at his watch. "Shi- Ugh! It's been a few minutes already. I can come in 10 minutes if the traffic is cleared," he mumbled to himself. 

"Sir, may I ask what is wrong?"

"But she must've broken down into panic attack by then," Kris continued to mumble to himself as he grabbed a fistful of his own hair, not even remembering the presence of his assistant. "Unless... Unless she's asleep right now."

"Sir-"

The elevator ding opened on the ground floor, and Kris exited with long strides as he dialed for Yeojin's number again. He jogged to his car when he saw it in front of the lobby. He mentally cursed when the line kept ringing, but Yeojin still didn't pick up the phone. He opened the door to the driver's seat, but then he paused and turned to Mr. Lee.

"Call the Mansion. Tell anyone there to try call my house," he instructed before he quickly ducked inside the car and speedily drove away.

Seeing the look of worried on the chairman's face, Mr. Lee just realized that he canceled the meeting for the young miss. Thus, he quickly dialed for Mr. Ahn's number.


Kris practically slammed the bedroom door open when he arrived. His eyes rounded in horror when he saw Yeojin sitting on the bed, curling herself into a ball. She was hugging her knees and burying her face on them.

Kris carefully sat on the bed. He saw her shoulder rapidly moved up and down indicating she was taking short breaths. His hand reached to touched her, but he paused midway. He was afraid that touching her would only trigger the panic to escalate.

"Hey," he tried to call her calmly, but she didn't seem to hear him. "Yeojin." This time she responded with a choked sob before she slowly lifted her head.

Kris felt himself starting to panick inside seeing how red her eyes were from crying. However, he tried to stay calm. Yeojin only sobbed more, and her breath became shorter each time she tried to take in air. "Hey, hey. Calm down." Kris scooted closer but still afraid to touch her. Yeojin started gasping for air and it scared him seeing her like that. "T-tell me what should I do?" His own eyes were already shaking in panic.

Yeojin seemed to try to calm down though it only caused her to choke. She knew what she needed, but even in this state, she hated to admit it. And she hated the fact that she knew Kris was the only one who could give her what she needed right now. Yeojin hated feeling helpless, but she tried her best to fight through her pride and difficulty to breathe. "I- p-ple- h-ho-hold m-me," she pleaded over gasps of air. She dugged her nails on her arms as she hugged herself tighter.

Hearing her words, Kris wasted no more time and wrapped his arms around her to bring her close to him. Slowly rocking her, he gently her arm to calm her down as he rested his chin on top her head. "Calm down." He felt Yeojin gradually took longer breath. "I'm here. I'm here."
 

["Thank you, Kris."] Mrs. Kwon heaved a sigh of relief. ["So, is she still sleeping now?"] 

"Yes, Mother. She's still sleeping now." Kris checked his watch. "I'll wake her up in five minutes. She still needs to go to school." He scooped some of the soup to a smaller bowl. 

Mrs. Kwon thanked him again before they ended the call. Kris' phone lit up again and he sighed before picking it up. It was Mr. Lee telling him the investor he supposed to meet last night would call him later. He was just buttoning up his sleeves when the expected call from the investor came. As he was listening to the other line's pressing request to reschedule a meeting, Yeojin poked her head around before she slowly entered the kitchen.

Their eyes locked for a moment before Yeojin broke their gazes as she tucked a few strands of hair behind her ear and took a seat at the island counter. 

"Yes, we'll reschedule it." Kris told the investor as he pushed the bowl of soup to Yeojin.

She bobbed her head in thanks and avoided his eyes. She remembered very well what happened last night and she wasn't sure of what to feel considering they still had not resolved their Sokcho problem. One thing for sure was she hated herself for being so weak. She also hated the fact that Kris and what he did in Sokcho was kind of the trigger that made her panic attack worse, but he was also the only one who could calm her down and make her feel safe last night. 

"Tonight?" Kris took a quick glance at Yeojin who was starting to slurp a spoon of the soup. He looked away before making his way out of the kitchen. "Actually, I can't make it tonight. Let's just meet now." He entered the bedroom to take his car keys and suit jacket. "I'll be on my way now. Very well then." He ended the line and exited the bedroom.

He was going to just leave immediately, but he decided to stop by the kitchen. "I'll be going now," he announced to Yeojin who flinched in surprise.

"O-oh! Yeah." She avoided his eyes again. "Sure."

Kris pursed his lips, somehow feeling bothered. "You okay going alone to school?"

She shrugged. "Haven't I always been doing that?"

"Right." Kris nodded looking away. "I'll go now," he told her again and she slowly nodded. 

Kris turned around and headed for the door with steps he somehow felt heavy. Once he was in the car, he dialed for Mr. Lee's number.

He started the engine just as he heard the line being picked up. "I'm going to meet the investor now. But clear my schedule for the rest of the day. Wait, no. Clear my schedule till the end of the week."

He could hear the confusion in Mr. Lee's stuttering comply, but he chose to ignore it. He was not going to see another episode like last night again.


"I understand how you feel." Sunhee patted Yeojin's back caringly as they continued walking to the lobby. "But I don't think he had any bad intention either. If he did, he would've done something else to you, you know. He's a man after all. It must've been hard for him too. But he didn't disrespect you by doing something else." She smiled while Yeojin sighed.

"I know." Yeojin nodded and pouted a bit. "Which is why my feeling is now just all over the place!" She flung her hands in the air.

Sunhee giggled. "Just accept his apology." She nudged Yeojin's shoulder.

"I should, huh?" Sunhee nodded and Yeojin suddenly groaned and buried her face in her hands. "Now the problem is I couldn't even look at him in the eyes without images of his hands slithering on my body and- ugh!"

Sunhee burst out laughing. "Look who's having dirty mind now!" She laughed and Yeojin lightly pushed her in annoyance. "I should tell Jongin about this!"

"Ya!" Yeojin quickly put her friend in a headlock. "Don't you dare tell him!" She poked the side of Sunhee's limb to tickle her. Sunhee just laughed and tried to stop her.

"You seem to be in a good mood," someone suddenly commented.

Sunhee stopped laughing and Yeojin immediately released her. When she turned to the person, she saw Sehun already staring back at her; a smirk grazing his face. Yeojin straightened up and cleared .

"Wanna go now?" He asked.

"Actually, I'm thinking of going home with Sunhee." Yeojin locked her arm with her friend's and Sunhee just gave Sehun a grin.

"Alright." He surprisingly smiled. He understood that she needed girls' time, whatever it was she was currently facing. "Don't forget to study." He patted her head and Yeojin immediately slapped his hand away with a pout. Sehun chuckled a bit before he adjusted the strap of his bag. "I'll get going then." He walked ahead to the parking lot.

Yeojin clicked her tongue and then turned to Sunhee with a smile. But her smile soon turned into a slight frown when she saw her friend spacing out. 

"Ya!" He nudged her and she seemed to snap out of her daze.

"Did he just smile and chuckle?"

Yeojin raised her brows and shrugged. "Sehun? Yeah. Why?"

"Oh Sehun just smiled! That's why!" 

"So?" Yeojin frowned, not understanding.

Sunhee sighed. "Yeojin, you better know what you're doing or else that boyfriend of yours would really fall for you." Yeojin pursed her lips and lowered her head. Noticing this, Sunhee's eyes were rounded and she gasped. "Oh my gosh! You have already known that, haven't you?"

"I don't know...," she mumbled which made Sunhee gawk at her even more. "Speaking of boyfriend," Yeojin suddenly lifted her head as she continued, "how are things going with you and Jongdae?"

It was Sunhee's turn to purse her lips and look away. Yeojin saw how her cheeks were blushing.

"What about us?" Sunhee asked innocently while avoiding her eyes.

Yeojin narrowed her eyes on her best friend. "Yeah... You better tell me on the way."
 

"Thanks, Sunhee!" Yeojin hugged her. "Thank you, Ahjussi!" She thanked Sunhee's driver too before alighting the car.

Sunhee rolled down the window. "Go on inside. And don't forget what I told you. Just accept his apology."

"Yeah, yeah." Yeojin rolled her eyes and waved her hand dismissively. "And you too. Give Jongdae a chance. He's a good guy."

Sunhee giggled at that. "I'll think about it. Bye, Jin!" She waved and Yeojin waved back as the car pulled away.

She entered the house and was surprised when she found Kris coming out from the kitchen. She blinked at him with rounded eyes. She was home early because it was exam week, but she was sure that Kris should've been in the office.

"Why are you here?"

"Oh! You're here already," he noted instead of answering her as he walked to the living room with a plate of spaghetti in his hand.

"Aren't you supposed to be at the office? Or are you here only for lunch?" She took off her shoes and approached him afterwards.

He just shrugged. "I'm the chairman, so I can do whatever I want. I don't have anything much to monitor at the HQ, so I decided to work from home. Problem?" 

Yeojin just shook her head and headed for the kitchen to get some water. She found a plate of spaghetti on the counter and bit her lip, suddenly feeling guilty.

She ate with him at the living room after thanking him for the food. They didn't talk though. Yeojin was busy trying hard not to look at him in the eyes. Later, she studied in the living room too while Kris worked at his corner. 

It rained around four in the evening. Yeojin was battling whether to ask him to accompany her or not when he silently walked to the living room with his laptop and sat down on the ground beside her. He didn't say anything, and neither did Yeojin; nonetheless, she was grateful he was there. She wanted to bring up their issue and told him she had forgiven him, but she wasn't sure how to bring it up.

The rain had stopped and the night came switching the time with day. Yeojin tidied up her books and gathered her things to be cradled in her arms as she stood up. She glanced at Kris who was yawning and still working.

"You know," she cleared he throat, "if you want to... you can sleep inside." Kris arched a brow at that. "I mean... this is your house too. So the bedroom is yours too, and I think you've slept too long on the couch. A-a-and besides, I know you won't do anything to me, so... yeah. I-I-I mean if you want to. Well, I don't have any desire to sleep on the same bed with you- I mean- uh- yeah. You know what I meant. Just... I don't mind if you want to sleep inside too." Yeojin shrugged to end her rant.

"Alright." Kris nodded before he focused back on his work.

"Okay," Yeojin breathed out and hurriedly walked to the bedroom.

Drained from studying, Yeojin immediately fell asleep. It was around midnight that she found herself jolting out of sleep because of the sound of thunder. She heard the cluttering sound of rain outside and figured that it had been raining for awhile when she was asleep. She turned to look beside her, but found Kris' side empty. She bit down her lip and tried to sleep by herself. She clenched the duvet in her fist when thunder clapped again. She squeezed her eyes, and flinched when she suddenly felt something s around her waist from behind.

"Sorry," Kris' voice stopped her from almost hitting him. He lifted his arm a bit. "Did I make you feel uncomfortable?" Yeojin shook her head, so he slowly rested his arm around her from behind again. He pulled her closer when he felt her flinched at the sound of rumbling sky. 

Yeojin felt her back touching his chest, and her body immediately stiffened. Kris could sense her being uncomfortable and he feared he would only trigger the panic attack. 

"Are you sure it's okay for me to hold you like this?" 

"Y-yeah. It's okay." Yeojin gulped trying to ease herself.

They fell silent soon after. Yeojin gradually calmed herself down and slowly closed her eyes to sleep despite the sound of rain outside. Kris tightened his arm around her while his other hand mindlessly played with her hair as he stared into space.

"I'm sorry," he breathed out.

Yeojin's eyes slowly opened for few moment before they closed again and she hummed in response. "I know. I'm sorry too. I know you meant well. It all happened because I pulled a prank on you anyway." 

Kris hummed as his other continued to play with few strands of her hair. Being in his arm suddenly, threw Yeojin back to their childhood days when they often would sandwiched Lin between them and hugged each other when she slept over at the Wu's house.

"I miss the old days," she suddenly blurted out as her eyes fluttered open.

Kris was surprised by her statement. "Which old days?"

"Just... the old days."

Kris his lips, unsure of what he was going to ask. "When Baekhyun was still around?" He could feel her stiffened in his arm again. Somehow, he felt nervous to hear her answer and at whether she would lunged into a panic attack again or not. He mentally cursed himself for asking that. But then, he felt her relaxed again.

Yeojin closed her eyes and the corner of her lips curled up into a small smile. "When you and I are still best friends." She snuggled her head deeper on the pillow and let herself be lulled to sleep.

Kris felt like he was just splashed with cold water. He stayed frozen for awhile before he felt Yeojin's body rising and falling at a tempo as she breathed. He lifted his head to take a peak on her face. She had indeed fallen asleep. He rested his head on his pillow again as he heaved out a sigh.

"I miss it too."