Chapter 10

ICE: Thaw the Frozen Heart [EDITING]

WOW! Thank you for 100+ subscribers! You all made my day! So here's a new chapter :)


 

Chapter 10

 

Chuseok. One of the most important holidays when family members from near and far come together. That was exactly what Kris never really looked forward to. This year's chuseok was the worst for him. His plan had crumbled down. And it all started because of one girl that he had been stuck with for two years now. He thought that he would be able to bear one more year with her, but now he couldn't. Not when he felt like his world had fallen apart.

Hurt.

He was hurt. He needed some time alone.


Yeojin's laughter gradually died down as she watched Kris opened the door to the backyard. The family was still laughing, sharing stories and jokes. But Yeojin kept on staring at the door with white frame surrounding a large glass allowing a large amount of light to come through it. She had been feeling that something was terribly wrong. Kris had not been talking to her since yesterday. They never talked much, and he had always been cold towards her; but since yesterday, he had been completely ignoring her. He didn't even say a single word to her on their way here after Mr. Ahn picked them up so they could join the family for chuseok at the Wu's private villa in Jeju. And Yeojin was bothered by it, considering that she felt like they were in an 'okay' or rather friendly stage these past few weeks. Not to mention that two days ago he even looked like he was overjoyed with her dating Sehun. She wondered if she had done something wrong that had pissed him off so much.

Mrs. Wu, who was sitting beside her, noticed the deep furrow of her eyebrows as she gazed at the door. She placed a hand over the younger one's and leaned closer. "Is everything alright, darling?" She whispered and Yeojin turned to look at her with a forced small smile. "Are you guys fighting?"

"No," Yeojin softly answered shaking her head. At least I don't think so. "Nothing's wrong, Mother," she patted her mother-in-law's hand and turned to look at the others. "Excuse me for a moment," she smiled and stood up walking for the door to the backyard.

The villa was located on a cliff of the island overlooking the beach down below. A vast green grass covered by several orange, red, and brown leaves greeted her sight and cold breeze of the autumn sea hit her face as soon as Yeojin stepped outside the house. A tree whose leaves looked dry and crisp stood a few feet ahead. It wasn't tall, but it had huge trunk making the old tree look strong. A set of two ropes hung around one of its strong branches. At the end of the ropes was a thin wooden block.

Kris stood beside the swing facing the vast blue ocean and sky. The waves tossed themselves against the shore and retreated back the next moment. He was burying his hands inside his pockets and was closing his eyes. His brows met in the middle as he tried to banish the pang he was feeling.

Yeojin came closer and hesitated to tap him on his shoulder. She decided to just sit on the swing instead with her back facing the priceless view of the blue sky slowly turning orange. She heaved out a breath with a smile and Kris opened his eyes before glancing at her. He clicked his tongue and turned his head away from her again. Just her mere presence annoyed him so much. But something inside him prevented him from shooing her away and himself from walking away.

Yeojin stared at the house. It wasn't big. It was almost the size of her house with Kris. The only difference would be the amount of glasses which replaced almost all four sides of the wall and the fact that it was two-stories house.

"It's been long since the last time we visited here, huh?" Yeojin tried to break the ice, but Kris ignored her. He was treating her as if she was a ghost. "I think the last time we came here was when we were in... elementary? Right? I remember our dads wanting our families to spend the school holiday together." Yeojin giggled a bit before she looked up at the branch supporting the swing. "Can't believe the branch is still strong enough to withstand my weight! I remember you fought with Lin because you wanted to keep on pushing me on the swing while Lin wanted to take turns with me. Do you remember that?" She turned to look at him, but he kept his eyes on the breathtaking view.

The curve on Yeojin's face slowly turned into a straight line as she pursed her lips. "Kris...," she sighed. "Did I do something wrong? You didn't say a single word to me since yesterday. You were unsually ignoring Jinho too." Kris still didn't answer but he squeezed his eyes utterly annoyed by her. Yeojin stood up and pulled his upper arm to make him turn to her. "Kris-"

He flung her hand away making Yeojin flinch in surprise, and he turned around walking for the house. Yeojin was nearly exploding from frustration because she didn't know what happened to him and what she should do. She stopped him from walking away by pulling on his elbow. "Will you please tell me what's wrong?"

"What's wrong?!" Kris finally faced her. "You're asking WHAT'S WRONG?!" He raised his voice and Yeojin's eyes rounded in surprise. He clicked his tongue, "This whole marriage is wrong! Why did you agree on marrying me?"

"Ye? I--"

"Was it because my dad was ill at that time?"

"No... I--"

"Oh... I know....," Kris crossed his arms and raised an eyebrow. "It was money wasn't it?" Yeojin's eyes grew wider - if it was even possible. Her eyes suddenly became moist. Her chest tightened making it hard for her to breathe. She was speechless. How could he even thought of that? "Ah~ so that was it, huh?" He scoffed to the side and Yeojin was too taken aback that she couldn't even answer. "How much did my dad pay you? How much?! Oh wait! He didn't need to pay you. You will inherit a lot through me right?" Yeojin balled her hands into fists trying to suppress the surge of anger inside her. "You were so desperate after your father died that you tried to gain a status for your family, huh? Well how much do you need? How much do you need for your family's living cost? I'll pay it all as long as I don't have to see you again!" That did it for her. Bringing her family into their fight snapped the last thread of patience inside her. "HOW MUCH?!!"

She raised her hand and was about to slap him across his face.

"YIFAN!" The voice of Mrs. Wu made them both whip their heads toward her. Yeojin slowly lowered her hand.

Mrs. Wu was glaring at him. In fact, she wasn't the only one standing at the deck. Everyone was there. Jinho looked angry and at the same time he looked like he was about to burst into tears and Lin quickly distracted him ushering him back to the villa.

Kris sighed and lowered his head seemingly regretful. Yeojin glanced at him before walking away. She wanted to enter the house, but was stopped when her mom lightly pulled her back at the door. "I need sometime alone," she mumbled giving her a small smile and walked inside going straight to her room upstairs.

Looking at his mother's angry stare, Kris belatedly realized that he had done something terribly wrong out of anger. Not to mention that Jinho looked so angry and disappointed too. He sighed and rubbed his temple while his mom stomped towards him.

Yesterday

Kris' gladness yesterday when he found Sehun taking Yeojin home yet again wasn't insincere. He was genuinely glad and felt relief. He didn't feel like a cheating husband anymore. Probably because his so-called wife was practically cheating too. Yet, there was this strange feeling inside him that lightly poked his heart. But whatever that feeling was, Kris just waved it off. He was too happy to be bothered by feelings he himself couldn't explain.

"Hey!" A sweet voice called and Kris turned to look at the owner of it. "Sorry. I'm late. The restaurant is crowded today since it's weekend, so I had to help the staffs," she said as she took a seat in front of him.

Kris chuckled, "It's okay. I should be the one who apologize for bothering you at work. Besides, I just got here too."

"You just got here and you're cup is almost empty?" Areum asked teasingly while he handed her her favorite drink which he had ordered earlier. She took it with a smile. "Thanks! Anyway, aren't you and your fam going somewhere for chuseok?"

"Yeah. We will. Tomorrow actually," he answered with a smile.

"Hm~," she nodded as she drink her iced caramel latte. "Where?"

"Jeju." Kris shrugged. "You? Are you going somewhere?"

Areum suddenly tensed a bit. "N-no. Something came up. Some...family event."

"Ah~," he nodded.

A momentary silence surrounded them. But it wasn't an awkward one. At least not to Kris.

"Actually Kris--"
"Ah! Before I forg--"

They both chuckled at how they were going to say something at the same time.

"Ladies first," Kris gesture for her to talk.

"No no. You first," she smiled. "You said you might forget."

"Okay then!" Kris laughed while dipping his hand into a pocket and took out the small box. "I was in China a few days ago, and came across this shop and I was reminded of you," he pushed the box to her.

Areum looked puzzled for a moment. She then lifted the box and opened it. Her eyes grew wide when she looked at the pair of diamond earrings. It was the most beautiful pair she had ever seen. But oddly, she didn't look much thrilled receiving it. The only look that could be seen on her face was surprise. She glanced at Kris as she closed the box.

"Yifan... I-I can't." Areum shook her head a bit while pushing the box back to Kris.

"Why?" Kris blinked several times in surprise.

"You shouldn't. Really." She looked down at her lap.

"I shouldn't? So I'm not allowed to give something for the woman I love?" He chuckled and Areum lifted her head at what he said.

"No. You are allowed to. But...that woman shouldn't be me."

She was saying it softly, but it felt like a stinging slap to Kris. "Why? Because I'm married?"

"Well yeah... Shouldn't that be a more-than-enough reason?"

"I don't love her, Areum. You know that. Don't you still love me?" Kris took her hands into his.

Areum was taken aback by his question for a moment. She felt like words were taken out of her. "Yifan...," she sighed closing her eyes and freed her hands from his.

"Actually we had been planning to get a divorce next year." That actually surprised Areum.

"But still, Yifan-"

"I only need to bear with her for another year and it's done."

"I still can't-"

"And we can be together again-"

"I'm engaged!" Areum raised her voice while squeezing her eyes.

People around looked their way, but Kris didn't care about the gazes thrown at them. He couldn't even feel anything. His whole body felt numb. His heart felt like it stopped beating. Areum opened her eyes and was greeted by his widened eyes. She sighed and lowered her head. His gaze then fell to her hand. A diamond ring encircled her finger.

"Wh-who?" Kris' voice came out croaked.

Areum understood what he meant. "You don't know him. And you don't need to know," she sighed. "You only need to know that he's a good guy. So you don't have to worry about me. He's always there for me and he loves me and I'm happy, Yifan. And you should be happy with your life too. You can't keep on living in the past. We can't." Kris' eyes softened and he softly scoffed to the side more to himself. "Look...," Areum started again, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you about this earlier. But I really want us to stay good friends like before. Can we?" She stared at him who was still avoiding her eyes.

"Yeah. Sure," he answered shortly and stood up taking the box. "I...better leave now." His eyes were blankly looking at the table instead of her eyes.

"Yifan, I...," she called standing up too before he could walk away, but words died in .

He stopped and looked down at the box on his hand. He gave it back to her, but Areum didn't take it.

"I bought it for you, so it's yours now." Areum slowly took it. "They will look good with your ring," he tried to smile though the pain his heart was unbearable. "I've paid for the drinks. Don't worry." He bobbed his head and with that he turned around and walked away.

 


THUD

Kris fell to the ground again. He groaned awakened from his sleep. Yeojin had not come out from the room - which she supposed to share with Kris - since earlier and had locked it. She didn't even join dinner. Thus, Kris had to sleep on the couch. Again. And his mother thought that he deserved it. The problem is the couch was smaller than the one in their house.

"Can't sleep?" A voice startled Kris as he tried to get up.

Kris clicked his tongue and sat himself down on the couch. "Why are you still awake, Grandpa?" He rubbed his face.

The older man let out his signature chuckle as he descended the stairs. He then sit beside Kris. It was pretty dark and only the light of the moon and the small backyard lamps shining through the glasses lighted up the living room, but Kris could make out his Grandpa's face. And he looked like he wanted to have a talk with him.

Kris sighed and leaned his head back closing his eyes. "If you're going to nag me, please not right now, Grandpa. I know I was wrong. I get it. My ears are still hot from Mom's hours of chastening. So please spare my ears."

Grandpa only chuckled. "Don't worry. I know." He patted Kris' lap assuringly.

Kris relaxed a bit and tried to washed out all the tiredness, the guilt and the hurt by closing his eyes.

"I understand something must've happened for you to act that way," Grandpa said.

Here comes the talking... Kris rolled his eyes and internally sighed.

"But I won't judge you." That surprised Kris and he straightened his back. "What you did is still wrong, but I understand. It must be hard for you - whatever you're facing. I don't exactly know why she agreed on marrying you - though I have my guess - but you need to remember that as strong and mature as she looks like, she's still a high school girl. So it's hard for her too."

Kris exhaled loudly. "That's why she shouldn't have agreed on being married to me."

"I know you don't love her. And I know you both planned to get a divorce once the 3 years requirement is met. Oh don't try to deny it." He chuckled again while Kris was taken aback. "And though I wanted you both to stay together, I actually think it's better that way. Especially for her." That surprised Kris more, but he kept his mouth shut. "I do have a question for you though," Grandpa sounded serious now though his countenance was gentle as ever, "Are you going to keep on hating her even after the divorce?" Well that's one question Kris never really thought about. "You have been married only for two years, but you've been best friends for all your - okay maybe her - life before the marriage. Are you going to throw that just like that?"

That got Kris pondering on the answer. He hated her for being his wife, but he never considered what he thought of her as his friend.

PING
Kris's phone lit up indicating a message. He took his phone that was lying on the coffee table.

Kwon Yeojin
His phone flashed the name of the sender and he raised both of his eyebrows in surprise.

"Think about it," Grandpa patted Kris' knee as he stood up and walked back upstairs.

Kris watched his Grandpa until he reached the top and disappeared into his room. He sighed before tapping on his phone to read the message.

From: Kwon Yeojin
[23.48] I've unlocked the door. I know the you won't fit on the couch. If you want to, just come in 10 more minutes. i'll be asleep by then.

Kris was baffled for a moment. He then pondered whether to accept the offer or not. His guilt - AND pride - told him not to. But his aching body screamed 'yes'.

Sent [23.50] ok.
Sent [23.50] thanks.

Sorry|
He wanted to apologize but he deleted it.