Chapter 71

ICE: Thaw the Frozen Heart [EDITING]

Chapter 71

 

LONG CHAPTER ALERT!
And this chapter is rated [M] for the references in the conversation.

_____

Suho swore he would do anything for Kris. He owed his friend a lot! Kris might act cold, but he really had been the most loyal and generous friend to Suho. Kris could ask him anything, and he would do it right away.

Except that night's request.

"I swear if you're doing this just because you're bored, I'm gonna strangle you," Suho threatened right when he entered the small bar sandwiched between closed shops. His eyes still felt heavy from lack of sleep. He was finally able to sleep when he received a call from Kris beckoning him to come to this bar.

No one else was there except for his friend who was sitting alone at a round table for four. He then took a seat across Kris. 

"Don't you know what time this is?" He complained before hollering for a beer to the bartender.

Kris only chugged down his beer. He was lightly dressed, Suho noted. He was only wearing sweatpants and a winter coat covering a grey sweater under it. Those were probably his sleepwear.

Seeing this, Suho sighed. "What is it now? Did you and Yeojin fight again?" He thanked the bartender who gave him his beer before turning his attention back to his friend.

Kris weakly shook his head. "We didn't." His finger tapped the glass of beer and he bit down his lip. "She cried though." He finished the remaining beer in his glass in one go.

"What?! What did you do this time?" Suho almost choked on his drink. "Did you hurt her again?"

A strangled groan escape Kris' lips as he wiped his lips with the back of his hand. "I didn't. We were just— I was—" He groaned again and tousled his hair before ordering another glass of beer. "You know that feeling of almost? Like when you're making a deal with an investor and he already gave out signs of agreement, but he suddenly bail at the last minute?"

"Huh?"

"That's what I'm feeling right now." Kris chugged some of the new beer that the bartender just gave to him.

"What? What are you talking about? How is this related to Yeojin?"

"We were...." Kris looked like he was searching for a word before he continued, "Just opening up to each other, okay? Everything was going great, but right before—" He suddenly stopped himself with a groan and pressed the heels of his palms to his eyes. "She just suddenly cried. And I-of course-stop for her sake. I can't bear seeing her cry. So I stopped. I don't know why she suddenly cry like I was about to murder her considering she was okay with everything at first. Anyway, I stopped. But it's stressing me out now!"

Suho blinked with mouth slightly agape. He couldn't believe this man of few words in front of him just ranted. He had seen Kris delivered long speeches in front of a crowd a lot of times. But this was something pretty new. His usually ice-coated words were full of emotions now. Frustrations, to be exact. He wondered if this was the effect of alcohol. Unfortunately, Suho didn't understand a single thing his friend was saying. What did he stop doing?

"Dude. Kris. What the hell are you talking about? How many glasses of beer have you drunk?" As far as Suho remembered, Kris had high tolerance for alcoholic drinks. 

"I love her so much, but—god!—I'm tortured right now!" Kris mumbled more to himself. 

"Hey. I was asking you—"

"Suho! Yifan!" A familiar voice greeted them.

"Oh, hey!" Suho waved back to the person but paused when he saw another person trailing behind. He then turned to Kris who was already staring at him with raised brow. "Luhan was sending me progress on the project when I was on the way here. So I thought of inviting him to join us. But I swear I didn't know he would be bringing his brother."

"Is that so?" Kris didn't sound like he believed him, but Suho didn't have the chance to defend himself because Luhan and Sehun was already taking seats at their table. Luhan to Kris' left and Sehun to his right.

Kris chugged down his beer another time while Suho rubbed his nape already feeling some tension in the air.

This is going to be one awkward night.

"Hey, Yifan!" Luhan greeted again earning a simple nod of the head from Kris. "Oh! I hope you don't mind me bringing Sehun. I was going to treat him a late night round of soju as a graduation gift when Suho invited me to join you guys."

"I told you I don't want to drink alcohol," Sehun tiredly stated with a roll of his eyes.

"Oh right! You and Yeojin are graduating soon, huh? Congratulations!" Suho patted the younger guy's shoulder. "Come on! You should at least try a glass of beer." He chuckled then called for the bartender's attention.

"I'll have a can of soda," Sehun interrupted Suho's order for two glasses of beer.

"Tch. You're no fun," Luhan commented.

"I'm only being the sane sibling here. If you eventually get drunk, I'm not going to risk our lives drunk driving," Sehun plainly retorted earning a laugh from Suho.

"You're brother is smarter than you are, I see." 

"Hey!" Luhan clicked his tongue in protest.

"So, what major are you going to take?" Suho asked Sehun who immediately dropped his gaze.

"He's taking business. And he's going to the States," Luhan excitedly answered in his brother's stead.

"Oh, wow!" Suho grinned then glanced at Kris who was suddenly staring at Sehun. His friend lightly shook his head then downed his beer.
 

An hour later, Luhan excused himself to take a call from Areum while Suho left to the toilet, leaving Sehun and Kris alone at the table.

Kris finished his remaining drink before putting the glass back down on the table. "Your brother doesn't know?" His eyes were getting heavy, but Kris tried hard to stare at the guy sitting adjacent to him.

"Yeah," answered Sehun.

"You didn't tell him?" 

Sehun shook his head and mindlessly squeezed his emptied can of soda.

"So, you're just gonna run away?" Sehun shrugged as a reply. "You didn't tell Yeojin either." The younger guy finally raised his gaze to him while he continued to ask, "Why? Why did you tell me then?"

"So you know that I'm backing away."

What Sehun said should have made him happy and put him at ease; but remembering Yeojin's reaction just earlier that day, Kris couldn't be too happy with it. He wondered if Sehun was the reason Yeojin wanted them to stop...that.

"Even though I've told you that there's a possibility that Yeojin and I might—"

"Divorce soon?" Sehun finished, unintentionally squeezing the can harder. "Yeah. That doesn't matter to me. Whether she will divorce you or not, I'm still backing away."

With hooded eyes, Kris tried to stare into Sehun's eyes searching for any trace of doubt or lie. His mind was too hazy to discern, however. "Fine. Good for me," he decided to say. Massaging his temple, he closed his eyes with a sigh. "I still think you should tell Yeojin the whole truth. I don't want to see her cry if she ever find out the truth."

"That's why she doesn't have to know. And you're actually thinking too highly of me." He tossed the squeezed can to the table. "I'm not the one she's afraid of losing."

Kris bit his tongue staring at him a bit longer before looking away. "Fine. Whatever!"

Kris ended up being driven home by Suho because he was already a little more than tipsy. Good thing Suho came with a taxi earlier.

"Hey," Suho called Kris who was ready to drag his feet inside the house. The taller guy raised his brow and Suho continued, "Whatever happened between you two and whoever was actually wrong, remember"—he tossed the car key back to Kris then raised his index finger—"that women are always right." His lips curled into a lopsided grin, and he earned a snort from Kris. "I'm serious! Acknowledging you're in the wrong is the easiest way. Just apologize."

"Yeah. Sure. Whatever. By the way, you can just bring my car, you know?" 

"Nah. I've called a taxi."

Kris nodded. He raised a hand to bid goodbye and trudged his way into the house.

Once he settled beside the now-peacefully-sleeping Yeojin, he stared at her back for a long time. A strong urge to hold her , but he restrained himself. With much reluctance and a sigh, he turned to the other side and closed his eyes.


The feeling of bare skin on bare skin made her covered skin crawl, and she had to shake her head to drive away the memory. Unless she wanted her cheeks to get even more burned.

"Ya!" 

She felt something light hitting her head and noticed a used roll of tape rolling down on the ground. She glared up at Jongdae who was sitting on top of the ladder. One of his hands was holding three balloons to be stuck near the banner he and Sehun had hung. 

The seniors and juniors were currently decorating the indoor basketball court for the prom night that would be held the next day. Some were busy with arranging the snack tables, some with setting the DJ table, others with setting up the photo booth and some others with painting the backdrop.

"I've been yelling your name," Jongdae whined. "I need more tape!"

"And you cannot ask your girlfriend?" Yeojin asked with a frown as she pointed at Sunhee who was arranging paper cups at a table near them on which a stack of tape rolls were placed. Sunhee chuckled hearing them bicker while Yeojin snatched a new roll of tape.

"She's working and you're just spacing out," Jongdae retorted. "What have gotten into your head? You're blushing hard," he asked as Yeojin passed him the tape then paused. "Don't tell me you were having dirty thoughts."

"I was not!" Yeojin denied, trying to ignore the heat rushing to her cheeks.

"Come to think of it," Jongdae continued, "you look like you haven't gotten enough sleep. Perhaps... did you and Kris—"

"Ya!" The heat on her cheeks rose.

Jongdae laughed. "Perhaps you're hiding some love marks under the scarf?" He wiggled his brows.

"Jongdae!" Sunhee warned her boyfriend to defend her friend, but he just shrugged. He clearly wasn't planning to back down from teasing Yeojin. 

"I'm not!" Yeojin adjusted her scarf now feeling the heat spreading to her whole face, causing Jongdae to laugh harder.

"What love marks?" Lin suddenly appeared beside her with a paint brush in her hand.

"I think your brother and Yeojin— ouch!" Jongdae yelped when a roll of tape hit his head causing Yeojin and Lin to burst out laughing.

"Stop teasing her," Sehun, who was on another ladder beside his holding his own group of balloons, told him with a roll of his eyes.

"Tch. I was just joking. Just say you're jealous of them," Jongdae teased earning a scoff from Sehun.

Sehun ignored him and turned his attention to the girls instead. "Why don't you girls go get some snacks and drinks. You haven't rested."

"Alright!" Lin quickly agreed with a grin and hooked her arms with Yeojin's and Sunhee's after putting away her paint brush. "We'll get some for you guys too."

Dragged away by Lin, Yeojin glanced back at Sehun and silently mouthed 'thanks'. She saw a corner of his lips tugged up as he nodded. Looking ahead, she sighed and pursed her lips.
 

"So, is it true? Did you?" Lin leaning on the vending machine asked while Yeojin entered another bill to choose another snack.

"Did I what?" Yeojin glanced at her with knitted brows.

"Oh you know..." A grin spread across the younger girl's face. "Did you and Gege have s—" 

Yeojin loudly gasped and hit Lin's head with a chocolate bar she just retrieved from the vending machine. "Watch your thoughts, Lin!" 

Yeojin mentally cursed because she herself needed to watch her thoughts. The thought of his kisses on her skin burned her skin and she momentarily squeezed her eyes shut to drive it away. Lin pouted rubbing her head while Sunhee, who was carrying some of the snacks in her hands, giggled at the side. 

"I'm starting to think Jongin has corrupted your mind." Yeojin smirked then turned to her other friend. "And you! You better keep your boyfriend in check too."

Sunhee laughed. "Speaking of me and Jongdae, I have a news," she declared as they walked to the hot chocolate vending machine.

"What is it?" Lin beamed with excitement because seeing the smile on Sunhee's face, it had to be a good news.

Sunhee's lips slowly curled into a wider grin; her eyes smiling along. "Jongdae introduced me to his parents yesterday. And... We're not breaking up!"

"Really?" Yeojin's eyes rounded in surprise and her friend nodded in reply before she and Lin loudly squealed. "Oh my gosh! I'm so happy for you!" She hugged Sunhee tight. "See! I knew you two would work out if you two would just speak up," she proudly said lifting her chin and raising two cups of hot chocolote off the vending machine.

"Why did he suddenly decide to introduce you to his parents though?" Curious Lin asked. "What about his arranged marriage or engagement or something?"

Sunhee kept the grin on her face as she continued, "Jongdae said he's tired of worrying too much before even trying. So, yeah..." She shrugged with a grin that looked like it couldn't be wiped off no matter what.

"Ooh!" Yeojin sang. "Never thought Jongdae would be that gentleman type."

"You know he's always kind," Sunhee boasted. "Whiny. Annoying. But kind. And romantic too at times. Oh! And about his arranged marriage, I think his parents are actually still a little wary of me, but they're not against us either. They're calling off the engagement. For now. They implied that they'll be keeping an eye on us. On me."

Lin walked to her side to pat her back. "That's alright. At least it's something good. You both took a risk, and now you both can be happy. Just hang in there, Eonnie!"

"Yeah. I'm glad we get over our fear and just face it head on." Sunhee smiled.

Yeojin felt like an arrow went straight to her heart. It clenched.

"Are you alright, Jin?" Sunhee worried drawing her out of her reverie.

"Huh? Oh! Yeah." She forced a smile. "Let's go back to the court."


For five minutes, Yeojin had been pacing around in front of her house. Her heart beat just wouldn't slow down. She successfully avoided Kris in the morning by waking up earlier and immediately going to the school; but now, she had no other choice than to face him. 

"Oh god! I can't do this!" She ruffled her hair in frustration and stomped her feet on the snow covering her lawn. "No, you have to! You can do this, Jin!" Her hands curled into fists showing off her determination. "It's just Kris! Just Kris!" A visible breath escaped her lips. "Just Kris!" She repeated then paused. Then the next second, she whimpered when the memory of last night popped up in her mind. 

Her cheeks burned from both the cold temperature and the thought. She wished she could just bury herself right then. The embarrassment was eating her up. She just couldn't imagine looking at Kris at the moment and decided to go to the convenience store to calm herself down first.

"Jin?" Kris' voice whirled her around and she found him standing at the door with a raised brow. "I saw you pacing around from the window. What are you doing outside?"

Yeojin cursed inside. "N-nothing. I just got back." She bit down her lip and dropped her gaze. 

She heard him cleared his throat. "Come in then." 

Taking a deep breath, she followed him into the house. Having taken off her coat and scarf, she sat down on the couch as told by Kris. A minute later, Kris came from the kitchen with a cup of hot chocolate and a plate of double decker pancake.

"Have some," he told her then rubbed his nape as he walked backward. "Jin, I-I'll be going out for some air, okay?"

Yeojin opened to ask why, but Kris was already at the door wearing his winter coat. Watching him leave, she realized that perhaps she wasn't the only one feeling embarrassed. He must be too. 

Sighing, she averted her attention to the hot chocolate and pancake he had prepared. A corner of her lips tugged up when she saw the pancake decorated with chocolate paste on top that made it look like a smiley face. She took a sip of the hot chocolate and hummed feeling the warmth filling her chest and stomach. The smell of the pancake enticed her to have a taste, so she cut and ate a bite of it. 

Something caught her attention while she chewed the pancake. A piece of paper peeked out from underneath the plate. Knitting her brows, she slipped it out from under the plate. Turned out it was a small card. On the front was—she was sure—Kris' handwriting saying "I'm Sorry". Yeojin sighed than pursed her lips.

He must be feeling guilty because I suddenly cried last night.

Opening the small card, she found his handwriting again.

If you accept my apology, come outside.

Her eyes rounded in surprise and she blinked before running to the window. Outside was Kris heaving a breath with head tilted backward with hands buried in the pockets of his coat. When he caught sight of her, his lips curled into a small smile as he waved. 

"Geez! What are you doing there?" Yeojin wondered with a roll of her eyes. She put her coat back on before stepping outside to meet him. She repeated the question to him, "What are you doing outside? It's cold."

He silently approached her in front of the door and stared down at her; a smile decorating his face. Feeling his gaze on her made her want to hide herself. The way he adoringly looked at her like last night made her heart want to jump out. He rested a hand on the wall beside the door.

"W-what—"

With a click, garland lights came alive. She must have been so busy with her thoughts earlier that she didn't notice them before when she were pacing around outside. The garland lights outlined the edges of the gutters attached to the roof, illuminating the dimly lit front yard. The lawn now looked almost magical to her. Yeojin was too mesmerized by the beautiful lights she momentarily forgot Kris' presence.

"Kwon Yeojin." His voice brought back her attention. He dipped his hand inside the pocket of his coat and present a corsage of white roses. 

Yeojin blinked noticing it and bit down her lip.

"Will you be my prom date?" He asked.

Her heart was skipping a beat, but she couldn't help but to laugh. "Aren't you supposed to give a corsage on the night of the prom?"

"I should?" Kris asked back cluelessly. Yeojin laughed while he cleared his throat. Raising his chin a bit, he added with more confidence, "Well, I'm sorry for not knowing that because you're the first girl I have ever asked to a prom."

Hearing that, Yeojin stopped laughing. "What? Really?"

A corner of his lips curled up into a smirk. "Aren't you proud?"

Again, Yeojin felt her heart skip a beat. She couldn't fight the curling up of her lips.

"So, will you be my prom date?"

She softly scoffed to the side, trying to ignore the butterflies in her stomach. "Do I even have a choice?"

Kris smiled and took her hand. "No." He put the corsage around her wrist then took out his phone from the pocket and a song.

"Kiss Me?" She asked with a raised brow, immediately recognizing the intro to the song.

"Gladly!"

Yeojin scowled while he chuckled. "Can I have this dance with you?" He pulled her closer by her waist.

The sudden close distance gave her heart a start. Her gaze strayed elsewhere. "I-it's cold out here, you know?" 

"Then"—he pulled her even closer—"we should stay closer."

Her heart was hammering against her chest and with her body pressed against his, Yeojin feared he could feel the fast rhythm of her heart beat. Nonetheless, she could only stare at him while he led one of her hand to rest on his shoulder as he held the other in his. The way he held her in his arms last night crossed her mind prompting her to take her eyes off of him. She stiffly followed his lead as he gently swayed to the song.

Gosh! Even the smell of his perfume was driving her nuts!

"I'm sorry," Kris softly uttered.

"For what?" She asked, keeping her eyes on her hand on his shoulder.

"Last night."

Yeojin gulped with much effort. "You didn't do anything wrong."

"No, I did. I should have restrained myself. I shouldn't have made you cry."

"N-no. I didn't cry because of you." Her cheeks burned and she ducked her head lower to hide them. "It's just me. I just— I wasn't ready, I guess. I was just scared. Not that I don't trust you. You weren't wrong. I gave you consent." She briefly glanced at him and again averted her gaze. "Actually, I should be the one apologizing. I must have put you through a hard time. I feel guilty."

"I have to admit you did put me through a hard time. Quite literally."

Yeojin scoffed and scowled before slapping his shoulder. "Don't make that kind of joke!" His laughter followed by a smug grin made her regret looking at him.

"Well, if you really do feel guilty—" Kris ducked his head lower and Yeojin could feel his lips grazing the tip of her ear as he whispered, "We can finish what we started last night."

Heat rapidly rushed to her cheeks. Yeojin pinched his waist hard causing him to let go of his hold around her. "Seriously! You're so disgusting!" She punched him repeatedly and he yelped in between his laughter.

Yeojin mentally cursed at him. Could he not understand what thoughts he was giving her?

She stomped her feet on the snow once she was done making him her punching bag. "How annoying! I hate you!"

Still laughing while holding his punched arm, Kris didn't miss a beat to reply, "How cute!" 

Yeojin swore she felt like dying inside just because of that.

As his laughter slowly died down, he approached her, "I'm just messing with you." 

Kris suddenly rested a hand on her shoulder. Gently, his thumb traced her neck as he stared at it. Yeojin felt self-conscious and cursed herself for not wearing the scarf again. She knew exactly what he was staring at. Then, he suddenly cupped her face and squished her cheeks with a smile. Yeojin silently wished he would just stop looking at her with those gaze. 

"I promise you, I won't rush us again."

Fudge! Stop looking at me like that! Don't give me those eyes!

He pressed his lips on her forehead, and Yeojin swore she hated her brain for bringing her back to last night. Quickly, she pushed him and took a step back. "Tomorrow's a big day. I have to rest." She dashed inside the house without giving him any chance to reply.

 


 

After thinking about it for a while, I think I have to rate the whole story as Mature for the occasional mature references in the conversation. Right? 

Also, was this chapter too long?

 

If you're wondering what song they're dancing to, it's Ed Sheeran's Kiss Me. I was inspired to write this scene after someone told me the song "Perfect" fits their story. So yeah the lyrics to Perfect inspired me. Though they can't dance with bare feet on the grass because it's covered by snow lol.

 

This story is such a mess, and sometimes I somehow feel like the story (or maybe just the writing) is getting crappy along the way. But we're nearing the end, so don't worry I'm not gonna stop writing it. Just want to thank you crazy people who have been reading this story up until now.