Chapter 22

ICE: Thaw the Frozen Heart [EDITING]

Chapter 22

 

Ice Block 1 [5.34]: I parked outside the school. Hurry up!

Yeojin's eyes grew wide when she read the text message. She quickly shoved her books inside her bag and slammed her locker shut. She then immediately dashed away.

"Jin, why are you in such a hurry?" Sunhee shouted at the running girl.

Yeojin looked back and waved as she was still running. "I'll chat you later!"

Are we going somewhere again? She looked down at her watch as she ran. 

Kris had been tutoring her for a few days now. The day after their first tutoring session, Kris did this too. He suddenly picked her up at her school and brought her to a quiet cafe up a mountain overlooking the city. He said it was to refresh their minds and Yeojin found nothing to complain about it. Their next tutoring sessions took place at Titan Wu again. But this time, both the security and the receptionist lady didn't dare to question her anymore.

When Yeojin looked up again, she immediately came to a halt.

Sehun was leaning on the lobby's door frame with crossed arms. He was looking down and didn't notice Yeojin who was slowly approaching him. Yeojin bit down her lip, suddenly feeling a bit nervous. She didn't know whether he was mad at her or not, and why was he so if he were. All she knew was he had not been texting or talking to her ever since she got tutored by Kris. 

At first, she convinced herself that it was actually a good sign because that might meant he gave up on trying to uncover her secret. But then a part of her didn't really feel good about it. It didn't feel right to be ignored by him. It was probably because she had gotten used to him pestering her that not talking to him or being annoyed by him felt a bit off.

Sehun stood up straight at a second glance of her approaching him. She then arrived in front of him, not being able to look straight into his eyes. He uncrossed his arms and extended a hand to give her a bag of gummy bears. Yeojin briefly glanced up as she took it.

"New flavor," Sehun explained as he buried his hands inside his pockets. "Cherry."

"Oh." She blinked several times as she read the very word on the packaging.

They fell silent after that. Yeojin still couldn't look into his eyes, but she mustered enough courage to do so.

"Sehun, I-" Her phone went off and she saw the caller ID.

Ice Block 1

Sehun saw it too before he lightly tousled her hair. "Study hard."

Something about that small gesture sent warmth inside her and it somehow made her heart tremble. She looked up at him and saw him nodded toward the door, silently telling her to go.

Yeojin nodded and picked up her phone whilst walking out the door. "Yeah, yeah. I'm coming." She paused and turned back around giving Sehun a small smile. "Thanks," she directed to him before she turned back around. "Alright, alright," she half-yelled to the phone.

Sehun watched her leave and disappear out of the gate. Half a minute later a black car sped past the school and a sigh escaped his lips. Why does it bother me so much that I can't tutor her? It should be a good thing. Ugh! Why am I feeling this?

Sehun had been questioning himself that question over and over again this past few days. He knew that Kris' sudden interference might be a lead that Yeojin really is his wife. Yet, a part of him couldn't accept that for whatever reason.


Yeojin chewed the gummy bears to relieve that feeling in her heart, but it still didn't go away. What is wrong with me?

In her mind, she replayed the moment she looked up at him earlier. Areum told her to look at his eyes for her to understand his feeling. Yeojin wasn't sure what she saw in his eyes, but she would be lying if she said the way he looked at her wasn't different from the first time they met. 

Could he possibly... like me?

"Why are you so quiet?" Kris briefly glanced at her before looking back at the road ahead.

Yeojin tore her gaze away from the window and narrowed her eyes at him. "Tsk. You usually just tell me to shut up, and now you want me to talk?"

Kris snorted. "Just thought it's so not you to be this quiet. Not complaining though."

"Yeah? And picking me up and bringing me out is so you then?" Yeojin retorted with a smirk. 

Kris just scoffed at her remark. Yeojin smiled and looked out the window again. She had been doing so the whole journey, but her mind was in a haze then; thus, only now did she realize that they were on the highway leaving the city. 

"Where are we going?" She whipped her head to him.

"You'll know." He shrugged.

After an hour drive, they stopped by a rest area for early dinner. More than two hours later, they arrived in Sokcho and the car pulled over in front of a one-story cottage. The sky was already dark as it was almost 8 at night, but Yeojin could see a beach lying across the cottage. Her eyes were immediately widened.

"Why are we here?" She asked as she unbuckled her seat belt.

Kris was already alighting the car and Yeojin followed. "Changing environment to study." He shrugged and opened the car's back door, taking out two bags.

He wasn't doing this just for Yeojin. He was doing this for himself too. Suho called him when Chanyeol had reported for work as the hotel's general manager. He heard from Mr. Lee that Park Changsun had introduced his son to some members of the board too. Though it was just a friendly gesture, he didn't feel good about it at all. Something was definitely cooking up behind the scene. The matter had been stressing him out over the week and he needed a getaway even if it was short.

"What? But it's already night now." She pointed up at the sky.

"That's why I rented a cottage for a night. Tomorrow's weekend anyway." He locked the door and rounded the car to where Yeojin was standing.

"We're staying here tonight? But I didn't bring any clothes." Yeojin frowned, pointing at her uniform.

"I've packed an autumn coat and some of your clothes for tonight and tomorrow." He shoved her a bag before sauntering to the front door of the cottage.

"You did what? Wait, what about my....underwear?"

Kris sighed and looked hesitant to answer as he inserted the key to the door. "I... packed 'em up too."

Yeojin instantly felt blood drained out of her body. She stayed frozen at her spot while Kris walked inside the cottage. "You.... what?" He did what?! Oh my god! Did he... does that... does that mean he saw my...? Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped at the thought of Kris actually packing her underwear. She suddenly felt heat rushing to her cheeks. Her stomach churned with embarrassment and anger. She then stomped inside the cottage and slammed the door behind her. "Ya! You invaded my part of the wardrobe?!"

Kris felt his cheeks heating up too but he chose to swallow the embarrassment in as he turned to face her. "Do you prefer wearing the same underwear as today's then?" He asked with crossed arms, trying to sound nonchalant. Yeojin could only gawk at him for she couldn't find a word to retort. "Don't be overdramatic." He turned his back on her and searched for a room. "I'm your husband anyway. You chose this life remember?"

"Wha-" Yeojin groaned at his comment. She sighed closing her eyes before glaring at the guy. "You've been saying that very often lately, you know?"

"Huh? What do I often say? Anyway, this would be your room." Kris opened a door. Yeojin walked past him to enter the room. "My room would be just right across-" she slammed the door in his face with a click of the lock, "yours." Kris just blinking before he clicked his tongue. "Girls." He rolled his eyes and walked to his room.

Yeojin wowed at the room for a moment. It was pretty big, and judging from the queen size bed facing the door, she figured it was supposed to be a room for two. She walked to the floor-to-ceiling window and was greeted by the sight of the beach. Between the beach and the cottage was a pavement. The sea reflected the dark color of the night sky. She could hear the distant sound of wave crashing the shore. She might squeal over this any other day, but the thought of Kris packing her underwear invaded her mind and she groaned again. 

She threw herself onto the bed and buried her face on the pillow to muffle her scream of embarrassment.


The morning came, but awkwardness was hung over the atmosphere. Yeojin felt herself blushing when she went out the room and saw a glimpse of Kris in the kitchen. The anger she felt last night had dissipated and now she could only feel embarrassment.

She entered the kitchen just when Kris turned around from the kitchen counter with two plates of pancakes in his hands. He looked startled but didn't say anything. He just silently sat across her and pushed one of the plates for her.

Pancakes had always been Yeojin's favorite breakfast since they were kids. Thus, although Kris didn't say anything, she knew it was his way of apologizing. She muttered a thanks and he just nodded. 

They took showers after the breakfast and came out of their rooms with less awkward atmosphere. At first, Yeojin studied by herself in the living room while Kris was reading a book at the veranda facing the beach. After awhile, he moved inside the living room and offered to help her. 

Yeojin was able to focus for awhile but the floor-to-ceiling glass window that offered her the sight of the beach wasn't helping at all. She asked Kris for a break so she could at least let her feet walked on the white sand, but Kris scolded her and told her to continue studying. Since the exam week was coming up on Monday, Kris ended up tutoring her on other subjects she admitted to be struggling with.

It wasn't until four o'clock in the evening did she finally finished the given tasks by Kris.

"Done!" She announced handing her worksheet to Kris who was watching the TV. "Now can we go to the beach?"

"We?" He quirked an eyebrow before checking her answers on the paper. "You go. I'll stay here."

"Why?" She frowned and then crossed her arms. "Oh, come on! It's not even that hot anymore outside."

"I am not going," he firmly stated as he stood up to go to his room. "Just go by yourself. Why do I have to come anyway?" He rolled his eyes and turned around, but his forearm was pulled by her. He turned his head to her and found her looking back at him with pleading eyes.

"It won't be fun alone."

"There are some people there." He pointed at the beach. "You won't be alone." 

"They're strangers, Kris. Come on! Just this once! You've drove all the way here, and we're going back tonight right?" She pouted. "Please."

He sighed. "Fine. But I am not going in the water if you do."

"Okay!" She grinned and strode out the cottage. 

Kris followed behind her with slumped shoulders. Why am I easily giving in to her lately?

Yeojin breathed in the salty air with a smile. She then took off her sandals and skipped to the coming wave. Kris sat on the sand, watching her from a distance. When the sea foam was reaching in land, she ran backwards with a giggle. But she chased the wave again when the water pulled back.

"Ya! Remember that's the only clothes you have left!" Kris reminded her with a shout from where he sat.

"I know!" She grinned. "But there are people selling t-shirts and jumpers at the market there." She pointed at a market not far from the cottages.

With that, she braced herself to walk further into the water where it reaches her shin.

"Tsk. Bullhead girl!" He scoffed, but his lips soon curled into a smile.

Watching her playing by herself, he remembered their childhood days. Lin had always been that bubbly girl out of them three. But she wasn't always like that before. It was a result of her following Yeojin around and mimicking the older girl. Yeojin was the hard-headed girl who was always so energetic and vocal of her wants. She had always liked to take risks too - probably what led her to her current marriage with Kris. And Kris? He was that boy who liked to pull on pranks, but was afraid to take risks.

Kris' face suddenly turned solemn at the thought. He wondered whether his hesitancy to take risk was the reason why they ended being in a cold war after that incident one summer day.

"Kris!" He heard her distant voice, but he found no sign of her. He was watching her a moment ago, but he just realized that he was zoning out after that. "Kris!" He suddenly saw her head and raised arm popping from the water before they disappeared again. 

"Hey! Is that person drowning?" Some of the people muttered as they suddenly stood up.

Kris immediately stood up too and dashed to the sea. He kept on seeing her appear and disappear as she called out his name. As he swam, he felt his heart pounding hard it almost felt like it was going to burst out of his rib cage. Blood rushed to his head and made his body felt numb, but he fought through the feeling. He finally caught her as she was flailing her arms.

"Hey! Hey! Calm down! I got you! I got you!"

He was fighting through the panic that was building inside of him as he hold her in his arms. But he suddenly heard her laughter. He looked down at the girl in his arms who was still laughing. He frowned and knitted his brows when he finally realized that they were actually standing and the water just reached below Yeojin's chest. 

"You... you're not drowned," he stated while she was still laughing.

"Oh my gosh! I can't believe you fell for that!" 

Kris felt anger washing over him and he let go of her, pushing her away. He turned back around and struggled to reach the shore.

"Hey! Are you mad at me?" Yeojin tried to chase him as she was still chuckling. 

Once they reached the shore, Kris immediately headed for the cottage, ignoring Yeojin who was pulling on his arm.

"Are you really mad? Hey, I'm sorry okay? Kris!" He whisked his arm away from her grip as he strode inside the cottage and slammed the door shut, locking it too. "Hey!" Yeojin knocked on the door. "I'm sorry okay? You're seriously going to sulk like this?" She tried the door handle still chuckling because Kris' reaction just amused her. "Okay, fine!" She shouted over a chuckle. "I'll just wait here at the veranda." She sat down on the wooden chair provided there and shook her head amused. She looked back at the locked door. "Geez. Childish much." She then looked down at her soaked jumper and pants that were sticking to her body. "Okay, I was the stupid one. Great. Now I'm out of underwear."

 

Kris let out a sigh of relief after he clicked the send button in his email. After he entered the cottage, he took a quick shower and changed into his previous day's outfit. Mr. Lee then called him and told him that he needed to send a document as soon as possible. He worked on it in his laptop for more than an hour before finally sending the document.

He leaned back on the couch after putting away his laptop. He closed his eyes to rest, but they abruptly flew open again when a thought of Yeojin crossed his mind. He cursed himself for forgetting things when he was drowned in work. The girl was soaking wet when he locked her out and the autumn wind out there must had been pretty chilly too.

Aish! Why didn't she knock again? He opened the door to the veranda and found no one there. His eyes scanned the beach ahead and found no sign of her. 

He quickly went outside and locked the door to search for her. He walked along the beach for awhile to make sure she wasn't there. And she really wasn't. He ruffled his hair in frustration and put a hand on his hip.

Dang it! Where is she? Think, Kris! He told himself. Something clicked in his mind when he remembered her saying something about the market selling jumpers and t-shirts.

Kris immediately headed for the market. The street market was pretty crowded. Ahjummas shouted their goods on sale along the street as Kris walked past them. After minutes of searching her there, he stopped and groaned because he still could not find her. 

Could she possible already left by bus? That girl is crazy sometimes, so that's possible. Maybe I should just go back. He considered in his mind.

Just when he took a step to go back to the cottage, he heard a distant familiar giggle. He paused and slowly turned his head to the side. He finally let out a sigh of relief when he saw Yeojin sitting at a street food vendor at a corner. She was talking and laughing along with the ahjumma there. Seeing how care-free and happy she was, though, made him feel frustrated.

Here he was almost out of his mind looking for a girl because he thought she was lost. But the girl didn't even seem to care about how she had made him feel. Why was he even worried made him angry at himself even more.

He angrily strode his way to her and crossed his arm when he arrived beside her. Realizing, the shadow over her, Yeojin gradually stopped laughing and looked up. 

She broke into grin when she saw Kris. "Oh! You're here! Hey, hey, this sundae is really good!" She pointed at the food with her chopsticks while her other hand pulled on Kris' hand to make him sit. "You should try it! Oh and I bought a jumper for you too!" She pulled him down and he relented sitting beside her. 

Kris just realized that she had changed into a new jumper, but she was still wearing the same soaked pants and her hair that was tied into a messy bun still looked damp.

"Here, here! Try 'em!" She pushed her dish of sundae to him.

The ahjumma chuckled. "Is this the snack boy you think is liking you?"

Kris raised a brow and glanced at her from the corner of his eyes while Yeojin's eyes grew wide. "No, no, no, Ahjumma!" She frantically waved her hand and then smiled. "This is... my brother." She patted his shoulder.

Kris felt a little twist in his heart when she said that. He abruptly stood up with a groan and started walking away.

Yeojin was startled by his action. "Ya! Where are you going? Kris!" She felt a bit dizzy when she suddenly stood up, but she just shook her head. She paid for the sundae, apologizing to the ahjumma. She took the plastic bags containing her soaked jumper and the newly bought jumper for Kris before chasing after him. "Kris! Wait!" She finally caught up to him and hold onto his arm. "What's wrong?" Kris tried to pry her hand off, but she took his arm again. "Hey! I'm asking you."

He finally turned to her with a glare. "You asked what's wrong?" He raised his voice. "Well, what is wrong with you pretending to be drown and suddenly leaving without notice after that?!"

Yeojin flinched at his tone, and she pursed her lips before opening . "Well you were the one locking me out in the chilly weather. And I'm sorry for pulling a prank on you. It was just a joke. Geez. Why are you so sensitive?" She clicked her tongue.

"It was a joke- whoa!" Kris gawked at her, wanting to retort for her obliviousness; yet, he found no words to do so. Gritting his teeth, he looked away and pressed his thumb and index finger on the sides of his temple. He then turned to her again, grabbing her shoulders. "Did you even realize how scared to death I was thinking you were drowning and how worried hell I was because you suddenly left?! Damn it!" He ranted in one breath and let go of her shoulders.

Yeojin blinked at what he said. "You... were scared and... worried?"

Registering her question in his mind, he just realized what he said. He bit down his lip, closing his eyes. Damn it! Why did I say that? "Whatever." He turned his back on her and walked ahead.

Yeojin was still baffled. Her feet were glued on the ground. She regained herself when she felt the cold wind poking her skin. She ran after Kris while hugging herself. They walked to the cottage in silence. 

"I'm sorry," she quietly said, walking behind him when they were out of the market area.

"Just shut up." Kris rolled his eyes.

She bit her lip. "I... didn't know that would scare you. I was just-" She came to a halt and lowered her head when Kris stopped and turned to glare at her over his shoulder.

Kris looked back ahead and started walking again. Yeojin stayed behind him, hugging herself tighter. She suddenly felt the surrounding getting colder, but her cheeks were heating up. "Kris," she weakly called him.

Kris rolled his eyes and continued walking without looking back. "Just shut it. I don't want to listen to your talking. You've said enough." After taking a few steps, he expected her to say something again, but he didn't hear any of it. "Now that's more I like it." He smirked. "You should've just-" He turned to face her, but instead of finding her walking behind him, he found her sprawled on the ground. His eyes went wide and he ran to her. "Ya!" He crouched down and shook her shoulder. "Don't joke around again," he warned, but panic was slowly rising from the pit of his stomach.

He shook her shoulder again and felt her jumper was slightly damp. His hand brushed against her cheek and his eyes widened even more feeling the burning heat on her cheek. Realizing this wasn't one of her pranks, he quickly slipped an arm under her body and wrapped it around her shoulder while his other arm slipped under and around her thighs. He quickly stood up with a groan and tried his best to run for the cottage.
 

He paced around the room after he placed a towel on her forehead. One of his hand was on his hip while the other hand was gripping on his hair.

Should I do it? He had questioned himself the same question for the past minute now. No, no, no. She would hit me for that. But even the jumper is wet! He looked over the girl lying on the bed and decided to sit on the edge beside her. "Why are you so stupid?" He reprimanded the passed-out girl. "You could've knocked on the door!" He adjusted the towel on her forehead. "Now what should I do?" He chewed his lip. He thought over again on what to do and finally decided with a shaking sigh. "Sorry, bullhead, but I gotta do this. I swear I do not want to do this either, but this is for your own good." He slowly grabbed the hem of her jumper afterwards. He took a deep breath and muttered to himself, "She's so going to kill me when she wakes up!" 


I've made a list of characters for this story in case you get confused along the way. Just click here for the list :)