Chapter 5

ICE: Thaw the Frozen Heart [EDITING]

Chapter 5

 

Yesterday

"Now go!" Sehun dismissed her. Yeojin bowed slightly and walked out of the room. He gathered his papers and arranged them neatly. He then turned to walk for the door when he suddenly stopped as he stepped on something. He backed away a bit and looked down at a golden ring lying on the floor. Sehun crouched to pick up the ring and examined it as he stood up.

/Whose ring is this?/

Something on the inside circle of the ring caught his attention. It was an engraving of a symbol. A symbol of a dragon spreading both of its wings magnificently. Seeing the symbol, Sehun felt familiar with it. He knew he had seen the symbol somewhere before, but he couldn't remember where.

The next day, he asked his student council members of the ring, but none of them claimed it theirs. He was confused for a moment because the only ones who could enter the student council office were him and s. He wondered who was the owner of the ring as he leaned on his locker waiting for Yeojin to come. He had waited for a few minutes and had even called her several times, but she didn't pick up her phone.

/Aish! Where is that girl?/ He groaned and started tapping on his phone typing a message to her. /I should've kicked her out of the committee- Wait. If that ring doesn't belong to any of the council members, does that mean it belongs to her?/

 


A wu in her house? Suddenly he was reminded of the symbol engraved on the ring. Ah! So that's why I felt familiar. It's the Wu family symbol. Then how is the ring hers? Could it be--? He glanced at Yeojin.

"A.. Umm... This is... This is...," Yeojin stuttered.

"I'm Sehun." Sehun bobbed his head. "Oh Sehun."

So this is him. Kris thought.

"N-ne!" Yeojin added. "Sehun. He's the school's student president." Kris glanced at her uninterested before looking back at the younger guy in front of them.

For a moment they stared at each other in the eyes trying to figure out one another. It was only a few seconds, but Yeojin felt as if a cold war had just been waged between the two guys.

"I'll talk to you tomorrow then." Sehun averted his gaze to the girl who was beading sweats. He bobbed his head back to Kris who turned around to walk inside the house. Sehun mounted his motorbike, put on his helmet, and rode away.

Yeojin sighed in relief as she watched Sehun rode away. Never did she imagine that the two would actually meet. And she was sure she didn't want them to meet ever again. They didn't say anything to each other, but just the mere presence of the two in one space froze her. She swore she didn't want to ever feel that intense coldness ever again!

Yeojin closed the door of the gate and walked inside the house.

"Ya! How did he know this house?" Kris asked with a glass of water in his hand while he leaned on the wall that separated the kitchen and the living room.

"I told you he's the student president. He could easily get anyone's address."

Kris scoffed hearing her answer. "Why would a student president visit you though? Is he hitting on you or something?"

The question made Yeojin flustered as she waved both of her hands frantically in front of her. "A-ani!"

DING DONG
Just then the doorbell sounded again. Yeojin whipped her head towards the door. Again? She let out a deep sigh. Why does the door bell ring a lot today? Yeojin grumbled in her mind.

"I'll get that." Kris put down his glass on the counter in the kitchen and walked to the door. "It must be Mr. Lee with our dinner." His statement made Yeojin's eyes widened in surprise.

"Our dinner?"

"I ordered us dinner," Kris answered simply. "I thought you were still too tired to prepare dinner. But looking at those papers on the coffee table," he pointed at the coffee table in the living room on which textbooks and assignment papers are lying, "I guess I should've just ordered you to make dinner." He added coldly before walking out of the house. Yeojin watched him went out with her widened eyes.

He ordered us dinner? She couldn't believe what she just heard.


Sehun sat on his bed; his back leaned on the bed's headboard. He stared blankly at the turned off TV in front of him as his fingers played with the ring and his mind tried to analyze the informations he just gathered.

Is she really what I'm thinking she is? No way! He shut his eyes and knitted his eyebrows. But there is no other legitimate reason for him to be there. He said it himself that he has a wife. He slowly opened his eyes.

Few Months Ago
Dressed in a tuxedo, Sehun stood leaning on one of the round bar-height tables with one elbow on it while his other hand was holding a glass of cocktail. He felt relieved to finally be able to escape his father's supervision for awhile as the old man was at the moment talking with some other important businessman. Sehun inwardly cursed his brother for having a girlfriend because now he has to reluctantly follow their father to this party full of powerful businessmen slash potential in-laws.

It was supposed to be an exhibition party held by one of the most respected companies, but Sehun felt like he was attending a match-making party of some sort. His father had been dragging him here and there introducing him to several girls whose parents are owners of various businesses. Girls with dresses and jewelries of unimaginable price attached to them. The kind of girls he disliked. Well at least, he could have some time alone now while his father was busy conversing.

Sehun took a sip of his cocktail as his attention was drawn to a young man standing alone beside one of the bar-height tables not far from him with one hand buried on his pocket. The young man whose black hair was styled in a spike was sipping his wine while gazing around at the other guests with his sharp - and somehow intimidating - eyes. Even as a man, Sehun had to admit that this guy was somewhat attractive. So he wondered why no businessman in the party tried to kiss his into marrying their daughters yet. Could they possibly not notice that he is the chairman of Titan Wu, the host of this party?

As if on cue, some businessmen with their daughters approached the young chairman with grins plastered on their faces while the one approached kept his cold countenance.

/Ha! Finally! Some show to watch!/ Sehun mused in his mind. /I wonder how these ers will try to win him and how he would react./

"Good evening, Mr. Wu!" One of the businessmen greeted and the said chairman nodded in reply.

"What a splendid exhibition you have!" Another chirped in. "Your late father must be very proud to have his son leading the company!" Kris Wu only nodded to whatever the older men said to him.

"Ah! These are our daughters!" The businessmen introduced their daughters and Kris shook their hands while forcing a smile. "We're very honored to be invited here."

"I have to thank you for coming," Kris replied. It was obvious to Sehun, though, that he was just saying it out of formalities. No sincerity was added.

"It would be nice if our companies can work together in the future," one of the men said cheerfully. "Or maybe if our companies can merge through marriage," another joked - well, half joked - as they all laughed heartily with their daughters. Kris chuckled dryly as he slowly hung his head down. He then let out a sigh.

"Working together is one thing," Kris spoke when the laughter died down, "but merging through marriage...," he lifted his glass of wine showing the ring encircling his right ring finger, "I don't think it's possible anymore." He smirked and took a sip of his wine while the others were exchanging glances of widened eyes.

/He's married?/ Sehun straightened his back and his lips parted in surprise.

"You're already married?" One of the older men asked surprised. Kris only replied with a smirk. "At such a young age? Wow!" The men chuckled. "Young kids now days are fast!" Kris let out another dry chuckle. "We do hope we can still work together in the near future." One of the men tapped his shoulder.

Sehun looked at the ring held between his thumb and index finger. "Kwon Yeojin. Just who are you?" His thought was cut off with a knock on his bedroom door. He got up from his bed and unlocked the door. He opened it revealing an elderly woman smiling at him.

"Dinner is ready, young master. Your parents are waiting downstairs."

"Mm," Sehun nodded. "Tell them I'll be down in a minute." The woman bowed and walked away. Sehun went back to his room and placed the ring inside the drawer of his bedside table. He then walked downstairs to the dining room and greeted his parents before taking a seat beside his father.

"So how's school?" His mother asked after they have been eating silently for a few minutes.

"The usual," Sehun shrugged coldly and his mother giggled a bit.

"Sehun-ah, how are you going to get a girlfriend if you keep on being cold like this?"

"I'm not interested in having one right now."

"Aigo this boy," his mother sighed. "I'm going to set you up on a date with my friend's daughter then."

"Mom~" he sighed as he stopped eating and dropped his spoon. He then slouched on his chair.

"No buts, young man." His mom giggled yet again.

"If you don't want your mom to set you up on dates, why don't you look for someone from your school. There are a lot of girls from prominent families there." His dad suggested. "Ah! What about that girl-- umm what's her name? Ah! Wu Lin!" Sehun's ears perked at the name and he sat up straight.

Right. She's a Wu. Does she live there too then?

"I heard she's a nice girl too. And not to mention she's a Wu," his dad continued.


"Thanks for the foods all day!" Yeojin bobbed her head before she took up her chopsticks.

"I didn't make the breakfast for you." Kris replied without even glancing at her as he raised the jjampong with his chopsticks. "I made the breakfast for myself. I only left you with the left over."

Yeojin chuckled. "Righttt. A lot of left over," she mumbled with a grin and shook her head.

"I figure I will only be more burdened if I don't look after you." Kris continued after taking in a mouthful of jjampong. "My mom will nag me if anything happen to you. Or you will complain." He pointed at Yeojin with his chopsticks.

"Tsk. Thanks anyway," Yeojin repeated and started blowing her own jjampong.

 


The next day, school started as usual and Yeojin attended.

Lin sat by herself in the cafeteria while waiting for the older girls to come. It was not that she didn't have any friend from her class. She did have some good friends from her class, but she was more comfortable hanging out with Yeojin and Sunhee because she couldn't help but to feel that others might only want to be her friend because of her wealth and her family's social status. Maybe that was why she was drawn to Oh Sehun. He was the first guy in the school who didn't chase her; let alone noticed her.

Just then, a cup of bubble tea was placed in front of her on the table. She looked to the side and saw the student president taking a seat beside her. She looked at him with wide eyes and then at the bubble tea in front of her. Lin knew she wouldn't win against him if she refused to take the bubble tea, so she took it into her hand and thanked him.

"How's your forehead?" He asked her without a smile, but his voice alone managed to make her heart skipped a beat.

Lin rubbed her forehead and smiled shyly. "Thank you, sunbaenim. It's fine. You know it's just a small bump right? Nothing serious. So you don't have to keep on treating me bubble teas." She chuckled and Sehun nodded to her reply and he looked away. Silence befell over them and Lin awkardly cleared a throat before her bubble tea.

"By the way, what's your relationship with Yeojin-ssi?" Sehun suddenly asked her.

Lin raised her eyebrows surprised by the question. Ah~ so he gave me this bubble tea as an excuse to ask about Yeojin eonni, huh? Lin felt slightly disappointed. "Well..we've been friends since childhood," Lin answered and awkwardly drank her bubble tea again.

They have? Then she must be closed to the whole Wu family, which means my suspicion is not illogical. Sehun thought as he slowly looked away from the girl sitting beside him.

"Why are you asking, sunbae?" Lin's question snapped him from his thought and he turned to look back at her.

"Nothing. Umm... Are you living with your brother?"

Lin knitted her eyebrows feeling confused, but she slowly shook her head and answered him truthfully, "Err.. No." Her answer made Sehun's eyes widened a bit. "He lives near his office. Not far from here actually," Lin continued.

"Why don't you live with him then?"

"Well.. He's ma-," Lin stopped herself realizing that she almost spilled out the fact that her brother was married. "Ma-ma-mature enough." Sehun raised an eyebrow at her stuttering. "Mom thought he's mature enough to live alone while I'm not that mature to live without her," Lin quickly added and smiled awkwardly.

Suddenly, a ruckus happening not far from where they sat caught both of their attention. Before they could figured out what was happening, the next thing they saw Yeojin was about to fall on her knees.


Yeojin walked carrying her lunch tray with Sunhee beside her. They were just chatting as they looked for Lin. Sunhee placed down her tray on one of the tables and fished for her phone to call Lin. Yeojin was about to put her tray on the table too when suddenly someone bumped into her causing her food to be spilled all over her body staining the white shirt under her blazer. Both Yeojin and Sunhee gasped in shock. Yeojin looked up and saw one of the girls from the student council smirking at her.

"Sorry," the girl spat the words. Some of her friends that were with her snickered.

"I-it's okay," Yeojin replied as she tried to clean her shirt. Yeojin didn't really bother to pick up a fight, so she just let it go. But not Sunhee.

"Ya!" Sunhee exclaimed getting herself a glare from the girl. "You did that on purpose didn't you?"

"'Ya'?" The girl scoffed and walked to her with arms crossed. "Don't you have manner? Don't you know who I am?" She asked cockily. By now a few students gathered around them while others who were sitting down turned their heads toward them.

The girl expected Sunhee who was known to be an introverted girl to cower. And Sunhee really was introverted, but when it comes to injustice, you should expect hell breaks loose.

Sunhee crossed her arms too and walked closer to her making the girl flustered a bit. "Yeah! You're a bratty student council member who--"

"Mwo?!" The girl uncrossed her arms and balled her hands into fists.

"Stop it, Sunhee!" Yeojin pulled her friends arm. But her friend refused to take her eyes off of the girl. So Yeojin pulled her arm harder forcing Sunhee to face her. "She just bumped into me, okay? I'm fine. And she has apologized."

"But-"

"Come on! Just accompany me go get new food, will you?"

"Fine!" Sunhee walked ahead but only after she glared at the girl who narrowed her eyes at Sunhee.

Yeojin sighed and turned around to follow her friend, but just when she took a step, she tripped and fell on her knees. Yeojin mentally groaned feeling the pain on her knees. The girl and her fiends sniggered while other students gasped. Sunhee looked back at her friend on the ground and her eyes widened. She jogged back to her friend to help her get up, but someone had come first.

"Get up!" A voice made Yeojin looked up and she was startled to find Sehun crouching down beside her. He grabbed both of her upper arms and made her stand up.

"Eonni, are you okay?" Lin worried beside her and Yeojin nodded.

Once they stood up, Yeojin stared at his displeased countenance. He glanced at the girl with her friends who was suddenly silent and tried to avoid his gaze.

"What did you think you were doing?" Sehun asked the girl with a calm tone, but with evident sternness.

"P-p-president-"

"Apologize." He simply ordered.

"N-ne?"

"I saw you tripped her. Now apologize." The girl shot Yeojin a look, which didn't go unnoticed by Yeojin, as she knitted her eyebrows and bit down her lip definitely feeling exasperated.

Seeing the stare she gave Yeojin, Sehun put an arm around her shoulders and pulled her closer to him surprising Yeojin while other students gasped and whispered.

"Apologize," he repeated.

Yeojin looked at the girl who gawked at them and at the other students surrounding them. They were whispering to one another. 'Ya! Isn't she that scholarship student?' 'Is she dating Oh Sehun? How dare she!'

Yeojin turned to look at Sehun whose eyes were still on the girl. She took a deep breath and yanked his hand off of her shoulder.

"You're over reacting. I just tripped." She then crouched and picked up her tray and plate. Yeojin walked out of the cafeteria after putting back her tray. Sunhee followed Yeojin with Lin jogging behind her.



In the toilet, Yeojin tried to clean the stain on her shirt from the food, but the the stain was still a little evident.

"Eottoke, eonni?" Lin asked in concern.

"It's okay. It's not a big deal." Yeojin smiled at her.

"You shouldn't just let them bully you like that, you know?" Sunhee sighed and Yeojin laughed a little.

"Ya! I just didn't think that girl deserves my energy enough for me to argue with her. And she surely doesn't deserve your energy."

"You're right," Sunhee sighed again. "Now what about your shirt?"

"I told you it's okay. It's not like I will be kicked out of class just because my shirt is stained." Yeojin chuckled.

Just then, the door of the toilet opened and in came Sehun. All three girls gasped in surprise.

"Ya! This is girls' bathroom!" Yeojin exclaimed, but Sehun just casually strolled in and walked to her.

"Here." He handed her a clean white shirt. Yeojin raised her eyebrows in question. "I always have a spare in my locker."

"But it's yours." Yeojin lightly pushed his hand away.

"Yes. And I'm lending it to you."

"It's yours," Yeojin repeated. "You're a boy, Oh Sehun. Why would I wear a boy's shirt?"

Sehun rolled his eyes and grabbed her hand putting the shirt on it. "It won't look much different when worn under the blazer." He then turned around to walk out of the toilet. Just before he walked out he added, "Wear it. I don't want to be an assistant to someone with dirty clothes." With that, he exited the toilet leaving the girls speechless.

 


The bell on top of the door jingled as someone came into the restaurant.

"Welcome!" Areum greeted while still being busy at the cashier counter.

"Busy?" A deep voice greeted her ears and she immediately looked up recognizing the voice.

"Hey!" She flashed him a smile. "You haven't visited in a while."

"Yeah... Been busy." He sighed and rubbed the back of his neck.

"As expected of a chairman!" Areum chuckled putting a smile on his face. "So what do you want to eat?"

"Actually... I want to treat you for a coffee, perhaps? I mean.. If you're not busy and-"

"Okay! Let's go!" Areum told her employee to take care of the restaurant while she'll be away for a few hours.



"One americano," Kris ordered.

"And-"

"And one caramel ice blended." Kris cut her off knowing what she would ordered. Areum blinked a few times in surprise. Kris glanced at her and smiled.

"Surprised I still remember?" He wiggled his eyebrows making her laugh.

They chose a table for two near the floor-to-ceiling glass window and sat in front of each other. Soon after, their orders were brought to them and they started chatting catching up with each other's life. But they left the topic of Kris' marriage life untouched. Their conversation then turned into a walk down the memory lane. They laughed heartily as they remembered the first day they met.

"I almost died thinking i saw a lake ghost in a bright day!" Areum exclaimed with a wide grin. "Then when I realized it was you, I just thought that you're a weirdo." They both laughed.

"But you approached this weirdo anyway"," Kris pointed at himself.

"Yeah I did." She giggled.

"And you gave me warmth," Kris continued while placing one of his hands on hers. Areum's laughter slowly died down when he took her hand and caress it. She looked at her hand in his and then at him. He was already looking straight into her eyes.

"I must've hurt you a lot," Kris softly said. Areum's gaze fell back on their hands. "This hand is supposed to be the hand I held when walking down the aisle." Sadness decorated his gaze.

"Yifan...," Areum sighed.

"I'm sorry," he lightly give her hand a squeeze to show that he meant what he said.

"Yifan...," Areum lifted her head and looked at him again. "You're not the one at fault here. You know I was the one who took that decision. I was the one who wasn't ready. I was the one who let you go. "

Silence followed them after her statement. But she was the one who broke the silence soon after. "You know... You used to really treasure her."

Kris sighed and hung his head down knowing whom she was talking about. He let go of her hand and leaned back on his chair. "Yeah.. Used to."

"And i know you used to like her too!" Kris lifted his head and raised his eyebrows at her statement. Her statement took him by surprise. Areum only stifled a giggle. "You even ordered two jjampong yesterday. I'm guessing the other one is for her, right?" She asked with a smile and Kris looked away while blinking flustered by her question and simultaneously rubbing the back of his neck. "So you're actually doing fine with her, aren't you?" Areum and Kris groaned.

"Let's not talk about it." He gestured with his hand dismissively and took a sip of his coffee.

"You know...she must've had her own reason. Don't you think you should at least reconcile and be friends again? Maybe that way love will bloom again." She giggled to leaven the mood. But she actually didn't really mean what she said. At least, not the blooming love part.

How can I love her when the woman I love is you?

 


School is finally over for the day for Jaesan Highschool students. Yeojin tidied up her desk and gathered her things. She stood up and felt her phone vibrating in her blazer's pocket. She hugged her things in one arm and took out her phone.

From: Ice Block 2
Need to talk. Come to my office.

"Tsk. Even his text message sounds cold." She mumbled under her breath. Suddenly a horrifying thought crossed her mind. Wait. What if he asked about Kris at my house? Does he know who Kris is? Omo! Eottoke?

After putting her things inside her locker, Yeojin entered the office nervously. Please don't ask about Kris. Please, please, please. She wished in her mind.

"Ya! What are you doing standing at door?" Sehun's voice snapped her and she walked to him taking a seat beside him afterwards. "See. The shirt doesn't look bad on you."

Yeojin looked down on his shirt she was wearing. Ha! Except that it's too big for me.

"So we will post this sign up forms next monday and make a small competion to choose the fastest runner." Sehun slid a few copies of the sign up form on the tabel to her. "It's a pity you, as the fastest female runner, can't join since you're part of the committee."

"I can't?" Yeojin looked at him in surprise. He only nodded without looking at her as he was busy arranging some papers. "Did the coach know about this?" He nodded again.

"I told him when he suggested you as the PIC." He answered simply.

"Then why did he-"

"Without his knowledge, I found out he wanted his daughter to run for the 200m competition. He must've thought you'll be in the way."

"Ne?" Yeojin gasped in disbelief as she looked away. To be honest, she didn't really care about running. It was more of a hobby than a passion for her. However, she hated the fact that she was stepped on and tossed away so easily just because she's a nobody in the school.

"That was actually why I disagreed," said Sehun who was still busy with his papers. "But he kept on pestering me."

"Ne?" Yeojin blinked at him. She had always thought that he disagreed of her being the PIC because he merely didn't believe in her. But it turned out that she was wrong.

"You can quit the committee and join the competi-"

"No." Yeojin replied making Sehun lift his head. "I won't quit and leave my responsibilities just because of a menial matter such as this." She looked at the papers in her hand. "It's not like i want to pursue running anyway. Its not my life goal to be a runner unlike the coach's daughter. Maybe she really needed to prove herself." Yeojin lightly shrugged.

Sehun stared at her as she flips through the paper. Just who are you really? Why do you take people's unfair treatment toward you lightly?

After the short meeting, Yeojin went to her locker to take out her bag. She was putting some books into her bag when Sehun leaned on a locker beside her. She turned to look at him and he gave her a helmet. Yeojin looked around at some of the student in the hallway who were whispering and giving them a look. She then turned to him and cocked an eyebrow wondering what the helmet's for.

"I'll take you home," he said lazily.

"W-why would you?" Yeojin blinked a few times.

"You're going to arrive home late because of me. And the last time I hold you for a meeting, you didn't come the next day because of 'tiredness'. So I'm taking you home now."

"Y-you don't have to. I don't want to." She pushed the helmet away and took out her bag slinging it on her shoulder. "I-It's not that late. Plus. It's Saturday tomorrow, so even if I'm tired, I can take the whole day to rest."

"I'm just giving you a ride. Why are you so flustered." Sehun leaned closer to her and whispered, "Are you hiding a dragon or something in your house?"

Yeojin was surprised and she lightly pushed him. "N-no!" She stuttered.

Sehun shoved the helmet to her. "Then let's go."

Yeojin reluctantly gave in and followed him. Sehun hopped on his bike while Yeojin stood frozen for a moment hesitant to ride the bike.

"Quickly!" He exclaimed. She bit down her lip and mounted the bike holding on to his shoulders.


The motor bike finally came to a stop in front of her house. Yeojin got down from it and took off her helmet.

"Thanks." She handed the helmet to Sehun.

He glanced at the closed door on the wall as if expecting for someone to be standing there waiting for her before he looked back at her. "Just get in." He told her. Yeojin nodded and he then rode off passing a coming car he didn't pay much attention to.


"Isn't that that Sehun guy?" Kris thought as he saw a motor bike passing by. His car passed the front door and he saw Yeojin was just entering the door.


"Oh hi!" Yeojin who was just taking off her shoes greeted him as he entered the house. "You're pretty early today." She casually said.

"Hmm," he just nodded and went straight to the kitchen to take a drink. "You know...," Kris started as he wiped his lips after downing his drink when Yeojin came to the kitchen too. "You shouldn't let your boyfriend visit here too often."

"What? What boyfriend?" Yeojin asked in surprise as she filled her glass with water.

"Isn't that president guy your boyfriend? He just drop you off didn't he?" Kris asked as he raised his glass to his mouth again.

Yeojin snickered at his question. "Just because he drops me off doesn't mean he's my boyfriend." She shook her head amused and drink her water. "Wait. Are you jealous?" She grinned teasingly.

"You wish!" He scoffed at her and placed down his glass. "Do whatever you want just don't bring him here."

"Why~?" She asked playfully

"Ya! Are you actually asking me this? Do you want him to know that we're married?" He raised his voice feeling annoyed, but the girl only giggled.

"Well...we don't have any of our wedding pictures hung so he won't notice even if he come inside."

Kris' jaw dropped in disbelief at her statement. He huffed and crossed his arms while narrowing his eyes on her. "So you DID plan to bring him here."

"Ani~" She still grinned. "I was just joking. He's not my boyfriend. And don't worry," she walked to him and looked at him with a playful smile. "I'm not going to cheat on you." She playfully tapped his shoulder and walked pass him towards the bedroom.

Kris was left speechless as he gritted his teeth. "Seriously!" He scoffed. But hearing her last statement somehow made him feel guilty. He felt that if anyone between them was cheating, it was him.