Chapter 2

ICE: Thaw the Frozen Heart [EDITING]

First of all, sorry for a slow update. Second, the first two paragraphs you're about to read might not make sense because I'm neither a business nor a law student. But please bear with it (or maybe comment on  it) haha. Anyway, hope you enjoy. It's a long chapter btw.


Chapter 2

 

"So now that Wu Yi Fan is married, the house will be given to Han Jieun as the wife of the late Wu Yi Huang. Everything else related to the Titan Wu company is inherited to Wu Yi Fan as Mr. Wu's son. Furthermore, Wu Yi Fan is to be the chairman of the company replacing Mr. Wu. However, it is to be remembered that Wu Lin, Mr.Wu's daughter, will be given a certain part of the company share, now held by Wu Yi Fan, once she is married and if she is willing to hold it. If Wu Lin refuse to accept the share, it will be given back to Wu Yi Fan." The Wu family lawyer read the will of Kris' father.

"One more thing," the lawyer reminded them, "Wu Yi Fan and his wife Kwon Yeojin are not allowed to get a divorce unless they have been married for 3 years. If they wish to divorce before the third year of their marriage, Wu Yi Fan is to step down from his position as a chairman and the position along with the company share held is to be handed to Park Changsun, the company's current Vice Chairman slash CEO."

 


Just one more year, Kwon Yeojin. One more year!
Yeojin kept on reminding herself as she downed another gulp of water. She then heard the sound of a car coming inside the garage behind the house. The sound of the car's engine soon died down and she could hear the door of the car being opened and shut. She put down the glass of water and walked out of the kitchen when the door of the house opened and in came the tall man.

She stopped in her step as he glanced at her. Their eyes locked for what seemed like only two seconds and he walked pass her afterwards heading to the kitchen. She froze for a moment before blinking her eyes and turned to trail behind him.

"Your family sent regards to you," she finally tried to break the silence. He didn't reply and just took a glass and filled it with water. Yeojin's eyes blinked a few times before she sighed as he started drinking the water.

Damn ice!
She grumbled in her mind.

"Your mom asked you to come visit her some time too." She tried to dismissed the awkward cold air hanging above them. Yet, she only heard a scoff from him as a reply before he downed the rest of the water in one shot.

Is he perhaps still mad at me because of the cold water this morning?
Yeojin wondered.

"A-are you still mad at me because what happened this morning?" She cautiously asked.

"You think?" He scoffed as he walked to the sink and put his glass there.

"Sorry for that." Yeojin rubbed the back of her neck.

He raised an eyebrow at her feeling annoyed. Yeah... You're sorry but you're going to do it again any time.

"Have you had dinner? I was planning to make ramyeon. I can make one for you too if you want."

"I don't wanna eat," he replied coldly.

Okay then. Suit yourself.
She hissed in her mind.
"Oh! By the way...," the girl rounded the island counter and reached inside her bag. She took out a long black box whose lid is engraved with gold letters of a brand's name at the center. "I... I was hanging out at the mall with Sunhee and...I passed this shop and I just thought of buying something for you," she said nervously while handing the box to him who is standing on the other side of the island counter.

He took it and and a smirk - one of despise - soon curled on his face. "Riiight~ because thinking of me and buying me something is just an everyday occasion," Kris said with sarcasm clothing his words.

"I-"

"You think I don't know you?" He raised and eyebrow at her and crossed his arms while his right hand was still holding the box. His cold countenance was never wiped away from his face. "You never buy something without planning before hand. You don't buy something just because you feel like buying it."

"Well...I-"

"You bought this because today is our so-called anniversary, didn't you?" He waved the box.

"Well...it wasn't really the reason..."
Kris rolled his eyes thinking that it was just her excuse. "Actually if you look inside- YA! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" Kris stepped on the trash bin's pedal opening the lid and threw the box inside. Yeojin's eyes widened until her eyes seemed like they were going to pop out of their sockets.

"Ya...," tears started welling in her eyes as he just walked away from the kitchen without any sign of guilt or care. She didn't know if it was tears of sadness or of anger. She was just too speechless witnessing this guy whom she knew once to be warm suddenly turned too cold to even regard her feelings. She stared at the closed trash bin for a while before finally storming out of the kitchen to catch him up. She stopped in front of him blocking him from entering the bedroom.

"Aren't you a bit too much?" She finally asked and looked at him in the eyes without any fear or nervousness. Annoyed, Kris tilted his head up and puffed a breath.

"Aren't you the one who is too much? Buying me a present for the anniversary of a marriage you know I don't even want to remember exist?" She looked away in disbelief at his words and he rolled his eyes. "I'm tired and I wanna take a shower. Move!" He pushed her shoulder so that he could enter the bedroom.

"You're hopeless," she mumbled behind him and he momentarily stopped.

"No. You put too much hope in me," he coldly said without turning to look at her and entered the room heading straight to the bathroom.

 


The numbers on the digital clock changed to 5:30 and a loud continuous sound broke the morning.

Yeojin tossed and her bed covering her head with the pillow. But the alarm sound didn't stop. She groaned and turned to face the bedside table on which the clock sat. She pushed the button on top of the clock and the annoying sound finally stopped. She lazily sat up on her bed and rubbed her eyes. Being a student is hard. Being a wife is harder. But being both? That's the hardest. Well... At least for Yeojin it was.

She looked at her reflection on the mirror after she took a shower and changed into her uniform. She tied her hair neatly into a pony tail and walked out of the room afterwards. She passed the living room on her way to the kitchen and saw the person she called an ice block sleeping peacefully on the leather couch. She frowned at him remembering last night and stuck out her tongue.
Let's see if you can wake up by yourself without being late!

She walked to the kitchen and quickly made herself a sandwich before taking her bag and walked towards the door. She glanced back at the sleeping figure.
Just leave him be, Yeojin!
She reminded herself and sighed placing her hand on the door's knob.
But what if he really wake up late?
She worried. Suddenly a light bulb popped in her mind.

 

"What the hell!" Kris growled when loud annoying sounds suddenly slapped him from his dream land. He sat up and opened his eyes. He gritted his teeth when he saw three alarm clocks sitting on the coffee table. He turned off all three alarms. 7:00. He stood up abruptly and stormed to the bedroom.
"Ya! Kwon Yeoj- where's that girl?" He groaned when he found the bedroom empty.

Right after he finished getting ready, he went to the kitchen while fixing his tie. He was expecting that at least he would find a kettle of coffee prepared as Yeojin always did, but there was none. He found a piece of paper on the island counter.
Make your own coffee :p

Taking a revenge huh?
He let out a deep sigh and took out a sachet of instant coffee from one of the drawers.

He stepped on the trash bin's pedal to throw away the emptied sachet when he saw the box he threw away the other day. He paused for a moment looking at the box. He closed his eyes tightly before his hand finally reached for the box. He didn't exactly know why he was doing it. Maybe a slight feeling of guilt was the cause. He saw the brand that he didn't pay attention to yesterday.

Really, Yeojin?He let out a laugh of disbelief. You thought it will bring back memory? But he didn't realize - or maybe didn't want to admit - that it already did. He opened the lid of the box and found a deep blue tie.

Not a bad taste.
He pursed his lips and nod a bit before noticing a piece of card. He picked it up and opened it.

I don't know how to begin... I know it has been hard for you ever since we're married especially after we moved out of your parent's house, but we just need to go through one more year. So, let's be friends again? :)

"Was I too harsh on her yesterday?" He sighed

"OMG! He's so handsome!" Yeojin and Lin giggled looking at a poster behind the glass of a shop. They were standing outside the shop in front of the glass.

"Especially in that suit!" Yeojin exclaimed.

"Right!" They both squealed.

"Tsk," Yifan hissed behind them. "Seriously..." He shook his head, "That is handsome?" He put his arms around each of their neck pulling their head closer as he bended a bit placing his head between theirs and whispered, "Wait till you both see me wearing them. It will look so much better on me."

"Tsk." Both girls looked at the older guy with annoyed look.

 


"Ya! What's with the sour face?" Sunhee giggled at her friend as they put their trays on the table in the cafeteria.

"Nothing~" she answered lazily.

"Oh come on! What about the present? Did he like it?" Sunhee sitting across her leaned forward, her eyes glinted with excitement.

"I seriously don't want to talk about it." Yeojin propped an elbow on the table and leaned her head on the palm of her hand.

"Did you guys fight or something?"

"Hmm~" Yeojin slowly nodded.

"Eonni!" A voice chimed in and soon they found themselves another company - Lin! She sat herself beside Sunhee.

"Hi, Lin!" Sunhee greeted her cheerfully while Yeojin only smiled still leaning her head on her hand.

"What's with you, Yeojin eonni?" Lin asked worriedly.

"Noth-"

"She fought with your brother," Sunhee cut in.

"Ya!" Yeojin looked at her friend, who was sitting across her, with wide eyes as she put her hand which supported her head down.

"Mwo? You guys did?" Lin asked raising both of her eyebrows looking first at Sunhee then her sister-in-law. Yeojin only sighed in reply. "Don't worry, eonni! I won't tell Mom about it."

"Okay. Can we not talk about my marriage life?" Yeojin pleaded and the two other girls across her nodded while chuckling. She went back to leaning her head on her palm lazily and raised the spoon to .

Sunhee sighed and ate her food still curious about what actually the fight was all about when she noticed someone sitting behind Yeojin stealing glances. She then suddenly chuckled under her breath but it didn't go unnoticed by the other two girls as they raised an eyebrow at her.

"Ya!" She leaned forward and talked rather in a slight whisper, "I think someone might have a crush on you." She looked at Yeojin.

"Who?" Lin asked curiously, her eyebrows knitted.

"Promise me you won't look back after I tell you." She pointed a finger at Yeojin to which she rolled her eyes and nodded.

"I think Oh Sehun has a crush on you." Sunhee whispered excitedly and Lin slowly pursed her lips going back to her food.

"Mwo?" Yeojin sniggered. "You mean the Student Council President slash the cold guy of the school?" She forced a laughter and shook her head. "Yeah right." She then went back to her previous position.

Sunhee's eyebrows furrowed as she continued, "I'm serious! I've been noticing that he often steals glances at you whenever you're around." Yeojin only smirked and shook her head again without taking her eyes off her food.

"You're lucky he looks at you, Eonni." Lin suddenly said and sighed while glancing at the said guy dreamily surprising both older girls.

"What are you talking about, Lin?" Yeojin asked with a confused smile. "Don't everybody else always look at me ever since I entered this school because they thought I was just another scholarship student who doesn't deserve to be in this school?"

"Not him," Lin shook her head. "Sehun is not everybody else. The cold look he usually gives is different. He never looked at any girls no matter how hard they tried to seduce him. Actually, he never noticed anyone unless he is required to know them. His eyes are only glued to his text books."

"Lin's right, Jin." Sunhee nodded. "That's why I think he likes you."

Yeojin chuckled and shook her head again. "Well...he likes me or not, it doesn't change the fact that I'm married, does it?"

"It's still good for you to consider someone else so that you won't be left alone once you get a divo-" Yeojin quickly stomped on her friend's foot cutting her mumble which made Lin puzzled. Both Yeojin and Kris never told their families of their plan to actually get a divorce once they have been married for 3 years although their families know from the will that they are required to at least be married for that long.

"What did you say-" Lin was cut when a shadow of someone was suddenly casted over them as the person stood close to them blocking the sunlight that came through the glass window. All the three girls turned their attention to the blonde standing beside Yeojin with his hands buried in the pockets of his trousers. Lin gasped and sighed his name "Oh Sehun..." The said guy didn't bother to look at the other two as his eyes only looked down at the sitting girl who stared at him with puzzlement.

"Meet me at the student council's office after school." He shortly said with the kind of look Yeojin thought she would only see on Kris. His words too had that familiar coldness that sent shivers down her spine. Sehun didn't wait for her to reply and just walked passed them leaving Yeojin blinking confusedly.

"OMG! He just asked to see you!" Sunhee squealed once he is out of sight while Lin sighed looking at the direction he disappeared to.

"I wish I could be you, Eonni."

"Ya!" Yeojin squinted her eyes at her sister-in-law. "Do you like him or something, Lin?" Yeojin .

"Aniyo..." Lin flustered.

"You do not want to be with a cold guy like him. Trust me. I know," said Yeojin as she and Sunhee chuckled.

"His coldness is different than that of Gege though," Lin pouted and continued, "Gege's coldness is just...pure ice. Sehun's coldness is the cool kind of coldness."

"What?" Both of the older girls laughed as the younger girl blushed.

"So you do like him." Yeojin sister-in-law again.

"Aniyo, Eonni," Lin whined as the others continued to laugh.

 


The sun rays piercing through the glass window behind him shone on the pendant making the single stone sparkled beautifully. It was just a simple diamond pendant, but the kind of rock itself told everyone who laid eyes on it that its price was not to be underestimated. Kris stared at the necklace resting inside the black case.

Yesterday
Kris entered his office and his gaze immediately fell on the white haired plump man who was standing with his back facing him as he was staring through the glass window taking in the view of the city. Kris sighed and straightened his back.

"So are you going to stay here in Seoul now?" Kris asked the shorter man who finally turned around to look at him. The older man smiled and let out his unique deep chuckle as he spread both of his arms while walking towards him.

"Aren't you happy to see your grandpa, Yifan?" He gave his grandson a quick hug while the tall man only patted the elder's back. "Come let's sit down. I have ordered us a lunch." Grandpa Wu said cheekily as he sat himself down on one of the couches. Kris rolled his eyes and followed afterwards.

"So...have you bought anything for Yeojin?"

"Why am I kept on being asked to buy her something today? Is it her birthday today?" He tilted his head to oneside.

His grandpa chuckled like the good old jolly Santa Claus again. "Just as I thought: you forgot." He shook his head. "It's your second wedding anniversary, young man."

/Anniversary? So that's why. Sure. Because my marriage is something to be celebrated./
He scoffed internally.

"I knew you would forget. That's why...," Grandpa Wu slid a turquoise box on the table giving it to his grandson, "I have prepared this."

Kris opened the box and took out a black case inside it. He flipped opened the case and found a necklace with a diamond pendant. He looked at his grandpa. "And you want me to give it to her?" His grandpa nodded. Kris closed the box and handed it back. "She won't accept it - I guarantee you. She never likes this kind of things."

"So you do know about her likes and dislikes." The old man let out a deep laugh as Kris leaned back and sighed knowing he had just said something he shouldn't have. "Just give it to her."

"But Grandp-"

"No buts." He moved his index finger from side to side. Kris mentally groaned and gave up. If there was one person who can actually silence the cold guy considered as a dragon, it would be his grandpa. Although Kris didn't like his grandpa as much as he did back then, he still had that reverence for him.

"Sir," Mr. Lee popped his head opening the door. Kris looked up and closed the case and put it inside the turquoise box before putting it inside a drawer of his desk. Kris gestured his PA to come in.

"It's almost lunch time. Do you want to have a lunch somewhere or do you want me to order something for you."

"A beef bowl will do." He said leaning back on his chair.

"Okay, sir." His PA was about to go out when a thought suddenly crossed the chairman's mind.

"Wait. Mr. Lee!" He called and the older man turned back to him. "Actually... I'll just have a lunch somewhere."

"Very well then, sir." His PA bowed and walked out of the office.

Kris tidied up his workspace and stood up taking his suit jacket that was hung on the back of his chair. He walked to the door when it suddenly opened before his hand even touched the knob. Then in came a lean tall man (though he is still shorter than the chairman). Few strands of grey hair were evident on his hair. Wrinkles on his forehead and corners of his eyes told his age. Kris looked at him surprised but without a wavering gaze.

"Ah, Yifan - I mean - chairman!" The older man grinned.

"What is it, Mr. Park?" He asked impatiently.

"I just stop by to say hello and I wanted to ask if you want to join me for lunch. There are some matters I need to discuss with you," replied Mr. Park, the vice chairman of the company.

"I already have other plan. Maybe some other time?" Kris said while walking passed him towards the elevator leaving him there.

The older scoffed at the young chairman's attitude once the chairman disappeared entering the elevator. "Watch out, young man! Power has gotten into your head." He smirked.

 


DING DONG.
The bell rang as the door opened.

"Good afternoon and welcome!" The young lady greeted when she heard the bell and turned away from her current customer - after placing down the plate - to face the new customer. She gasped and her eyes widened in surprise. Soon the corner of her lips curled upward.

"Yifan!" She exclaimed cheerfully.

 

"Here's your jajangmyun," she placed the plate on the table and sat herself down across him.

"I see your business is doing well," he smiled at her while taking his chopsticks. She smiled back at him showing him her eye smile - the one that moved his heart then and even now. For once in a long time, he felt butterflies in his stomach.

"I'm just starting. I see you yourself is doing extremely well. I mean...look at you! A chairman of a very large company!" She laughed and he too laughed in return. He never liked his position nor the company. But hearing those words from felt different to him. It somehow made him proud.

"By the way, why are you personally serving the customers when you have your employees?" He asked out of curiosity.

"I just like doing it. It made me feel good when I can see for myself the smile on my customers face. But actually, I usually do it to new customers or regulars."

"Aah~" Kris nodded and started eating his jajangmyun.

"So... How's life? How's your marriage life?" She asked propping her elbow on the table and rested her chin on her hand. She smiled looking at him who was happily eating the jajangmyun. But soon his smile slowly faded away when he heard her question. He always hates being asked about his marriage life, and hearing that very question from her made him feel like his heart is being poked with needles.

"Let's not talk about it," he shook his head.

"Why~?" She asked with a teasing smile. "I thought your wife is your best friend."

"Was my best friend," he glanced at her before going back to his food. He really just want to enjoy this jajangmyun she made without any thought of his so-called wife slash ex-best friend. The girl opened to say something else when she heard the bell rang as the door opened.

"Areum-ah!" A cheerful voice called her and she turned to look at the person before she stood up and ran to hug at the person, a young lady, her friend.

"Aah!," she squealed, "I miss you!" They both hug and Kris who was left by her smiled again seeing her happiness.

"I miss you too," the other replied. "I have so many things to tell you!"

Areum chuckled at her high school friend and ushered her to an empty table before calling one of her employees to take her friend's order while she went back to Kris for a moment.

"Yifan... I'm sorry I think I-"

"It's okay!" Kris cut her sentence and smiled. "She's your friend and you two haven't met for a long time I assume. And I have to immediately return to the office after I finish this."

"Really? Is it okay?" She look at him apologetically and Kris nodded. "Thanks and sorry! I'll make it up to you!" She waved at him and went back to her friend.

Sure. I will love that.
Kris smiled to himself.


"Ya! Isn't he that young chairman of Titan Wu?" Areum's friend asked once Areum sat herself down.

"Yeah," she answered nonchalantly.

"And you know him?"

"Ah! He was my university friend."

"A friend? Or a boyfriend?" Her friend squinted her eyes at her.

"Ya!" Areum slapped her friend's arm, but she didn't say no.

"Ouch! The way he looks at you is different you know."

"Eyy~" she waved her hand at her friend dismissing her friend's thought. But soon she slowly glanced and smiled at the young chairman who was enjoying his food.

 


KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK.

"Mm~ come in!" Yeojin took a deep breath and opened the door after hearing the reply. It felt like she was going to dive into cold water.

As soon as she entered, she saw the guy sitting on one of the chairs that encircled the round table. He was so focused in reading a pile of papers in front of him. Somehow the view reminded her of the guy living under the same roof with her.

"What do you want?" He asked without even looking up. Yeojin puffed out a breath at the familiarity of the cold air surrounding him.

"Mm... You told me to see you. Remember?" She crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow at him. Sehun finally looked up at her.

"Ah! It's you!" He stood up and walked to a cabinet and pulled out stapled papers from one of the drawers.

"Our school is going to hold a sports competition against schools around here," he said while walking towards her. "Track and field will be one of them. And you will be the PIC of that particular competition." He handed her the stapled papers he took out earlier. "So you'll be responsible in selecting the participants from our school, taking care of whatever supplies you need, and finding yourself a team to help you if you need," he continued to inform her as she took the papers. "That will tell you the details on the event and your responsibilities," he pointed at the papers she was flipping through and went back to his seat afterwards. He had been the only one talking that she was left in a daze trying to digest the information thrown at her.

"Wait," she finally spoke, "why me?" Her question made him raised an eyebrow at her. "I mean... I'm not part of the student council, and I'm pretty sure the students in this council are capable of handling it." Does he perhaps really like me? the question pops in her mind at the same time. "So why did you choose me?" Her last question made him chuckled dryly which made her even more puzzled.

"For your information, I didn't choose you. The track & field coach did. He said you're our school's fastest female runner."

"Aah~" Yeojin nodded and felt stupid for thinking Sehun might actually like her.

"Actually, I disagreed with appointing you as the PIC. Because first, being an MVP or fastest runner has nothing to do with managing the competition. Second, as you said, my student council's members are - I'm sure - much more capable than you are." His last statement somehow made Yeojin's heart boiled. It wasn't the words that somehow ticked her off. It was his coldness and his cockiness that boiled her.

"So why did you agree on making me the PIC at the end?" She replied with the same air of ice.

"I didn't and still do not. I just simply relented because of the coach's persistence. I knew he would pester me if I didn't." He answered while going back to his papers. "Now go!" He dismissed her and she gritted her teeth while turning to the door.


"Ugh!" She ruffled her hair in frustration before opening her locker to take out her bag. "One more ice block added to my life! He thinks I'm not worthy of being a PIC, huh?" She ranted to herself. "I'll show him the coach's right about me! I'll show him that I'm capable!" She slammed her locker and shrieked in surprise when she saw a person leaning on the locker beside her.

"I'd love to see you try," Sehun smirked and walked pass her. Yeojin bit her lower lip and followed him behind. They both walked out of the building and Sehun walked to his motor bike. He put on his helmet and mounted his bike.

"Ah! I forgot to tell her. Ya MVP!" He called Yeojin who was walking in front of him. She stopped and turned her head to him in annoyance. "There will be a meeting tomorrow. Don't be late!" With that he started his engine and rode off passing her.

"Different? He's no different than Kris! Wait till Lin knows about this."

 


Kris couldn't wipe the smile off his face remembering his visit to the shop. Areum's smile just kept on popping in his mind. He opened the door to his house still smiling thinking about her.

"Something good happened today?" Yeojin's voice snapped him back to his senses. Yeojin couldn't help but to snigger seeing that rare goofy smile of his.

"None of your business!" He replied with the sudden return of coldness and she just shrugged.

"I've taken shower. You can have one and I'll make us dinner." She walked to the kitchen. It was somehow weird that she didn't seem to remember that they were fighting just yesterday. It was as if she forgot how he threw away her thoughtful present. But then again, that wasn't the first time they fought. They - or maybe she - always acted as if the fight never existed the next day even though no apologies were exchanged. Maybe it was because they were too accustomed to it. Or maybe she was already used to that cold air of his.

That night they ate dinner together - something that rarely happened. But awkward silence was evident. The fight might seemed to be forgotten as usual, but deep down they both know the fight last night was different.

"Do you want me to wake you up tomorrow?" Yeojin, as always, was the first one to break the silence.

"No no no," Kris quickly answered as if he was traumatized by how she woke him up the past two days. Yeojin snorted a chuckle at his reaction. "I'll wake up by myself."

"Okay~" she shrugged happily. "I can just prepare the breakfast and coffee then," she said casually and Kris just stared at her. He just realized something: she always did things for him no matter how cold he was toward her. For once, Kris felt like she was a wife.

What am I thinking?
He dismissed his thought.

"You should find a boyfriend." He suddenly said, but still very plainly, without looking up at her. Yeojin lift her head and her eyes slowly widened in surprise.

"What are you saying out of the blue?" She mumbled.

"Well...we're not going to be together forever. This marriage is going to be over soon. So...you should start looking for someone." Yeojin blinked a few times wondering why he suddenly talk about it.

"Did you talk to Sunhee or something?" She blurted without thinking while chuckling.

"Huh?" He raised his eyebrows.

"Nothing. Forget it," she waved a hand. "Anyway... It's my business to get a boyfriend or not. Don't bother worrying about that."

"Ha!" He scoffed. "I wasn't worrying about you if that what you think. I was worrying about myself. I was worried that you get too attached to me that you will pester me once we're divorced."

"Yeah right!" she retorted. "Then I should be the one who is worried. What if you get too accustomed to me serving you that you keep on looking for me to do just that once we're divorced?" He chuckled at her dryly and went back to eating his food. Yeojin shook her head at their own childish bickering, yet somehow she enjoyed it. It was as if she could get a glimpse of the old Kris. No. It wasn't the old Kris; it was Yifan, the one she knew well.



"Here!" Kris, leaning on the door frame of the bathroom, handed Yeojin the turquoise box when she came out of the bathroom after brushing her teeth after the dinner. TIFFANY & CO. Her eyes widened reading the silver letters on the box. Kris grabbed one of her hands and put the box on her palm. He jerked his chin telling her to open the box and she did.

"It was supposed to be given yesterday," Kris said nonchalantly as she opened the black case inside the box. Her eyes widened even more when she saw the necklace.
Did he actually buy this for our anniversary? she wondered.

She looked at Kris and blinked her eyes before returning her gaze at the necklace. The pendant was beautiful - too beautiful actually - that she thought it wouldn't suit her.

"Kris, I couldn't accept this." She closed the case and the box handing it back to him. Kris refused to take it back.

"Don't get too excited. I didn't buy it." She raised her eyebrows wondering what he meant. "Grandpa did. So keep it. I don't want him to grab my ear if he find out I didn't give it to you." She sighed and relented. "Now, move! I need to use the bathroom."

Kris closed the bathroom door and Yeojin stared back at the box she was holding.
He was right. I put too much hope in him.

It wasn't a hope of him loving her she put on him- she didn't believe in that romantic love. Rather it was a hope that he will change back to his old self - the one she knew once to be her best friend.