Start Over

Snakes and Ladders

 

Start of Chapter 20

 

…………………………………………………………

 

As soon as your brain had registered what just happened and what Woohyun had just done, you immediately, ran to Dongwoo.

 

“Dongwoo-yah!!!”

 

Dongwoo tried to stand up.

 

You looked at Woohyun angrily. “What are you doing?!”

 

You helped Dongwoo stand up.

 

Woohyun was just as equally angry.

 

“Dongwoo is y—“

 

“It’s okay, ~~~~~~-ah. It’s my fault and I deserve this.” He stepped forward.

 

Like those mushy moments in dramas and movies, Dongwoo said, “Come one, punch me all you want. I know I deserve it.”

 

And Woohyun complied to that. He was just about to give Dongwoo another good hit but you quickly stood in front of Dongwoo, protecting him.

 

You bravely looked Woohyun in the eye.

 

Woohyun stopped his movement. He glared at you.

 

“Stop it.” You said with a firm voice.

 

Woohyun let out a frustrated sigh as he dropped his arm. Panting, he continued looking at you with angry eyes.

 

Dongwoo had an apologetic look, a look of obvious guilt.

 

Woohyun hissed as he grabbed your arm.

 

“Wh-what?”

 

He had a serious look—not an angry one, but determined.

 

“Let’s talk.” He dragged you out of the room, leaving Dongwoo clenching his own fist.

 

Once you and Woohyun were gone, Dongwoo thought, ‘Ah, and there goes my love being taken away. I didn’t even put up a fight.’ He sighed as he tried to ignore the aches creeping onto his heart.

 

Dongwoo wanted to punch anything—just anything to release the hurt. And he wanted to scream, curse, yell, but he knew that everything was his fault. Had he not drugged you and forced you to have with him, he wouldn’t have felt this guilt.

 

He wouldn’t have talked to Woohyun.

 

He wouldn’t have to let you go.

 

He wouldn’t have to give you back to… him.

 

Woohyun stopped at a balcony. He released his grip on you as he saw you with a sad look.

 

“~~~~~~~…”

 

You didn’t look at him.

 

“Look, I’m sorry…”

 

“About what?” You wanted to hear that. You;ve been wanting him to apologize for a lot of things.

 

Now that he was apologizing, you didn’t know which one he was apologizing for.

 

“About… About Dongwoo… I didn’t mean to punch him and to hurt him. It’s—It’s just that I got so angry.”

 

“It wasn’t any of your business.” You said, still not looking at him.

 

“B-but…” Woohyun sighed. “I just can’t let that happen.”

 

You were shocked at Woohyun’s suddenly caring words. You looked at him, “Wh-what are you saying.”

 

“~~~~~~~-ah. Let’s start over.”

 

Hearing him say those words, your heart started beating faster. It felt good… but you were still anxious.

 

“I’m sorry for what I’ve done to you. I’m sorry for doing a lot of bad things. I’m sorry for... everything.”

 

You couldn’t speak. You wanted to say something but words seemed to get stuck.

 

Woohyun looked at you sincerely and embraced you.

 

“Woo—“

 

“Shh…” He hushed you. His hug was warm and soothing.

 

You missed him.

 

Your heart was yelling that you missed him—his touch, his hug.

 

“I missed you.” You weren’t expecting him to say the words you wanted to say.

 

“Woohyun-ah…”

 

He gave you one last squeeze before releasing you.

 

“Will you… forgive me?”

 

Teary-eyed, you nodded. “I forgive you.”

 

“So can we start over?” He said with a sincere look.

 

You looked at him.


“Y-you mean…” You bit your lip.

 

Woohyun shyly looked down on the ground as he scratched his head, unsure of what to say.

 

‘Tell her you want to be together again. Tell her that you still love her. Tell her that you want her to be your girlfriend. Tell her that you can’t live without her.’ His subconscious said.

 

But instead, the wrong words came out of his mouth.

 

“C-can we be friends once more?”

 

You stared at each other.

 

‘Moron!!! Woohyun you, stupid moron!’ In his head, Woohyun was frozen and was breaking to pieces.’

 

“S-sure.” You said. You were disappointed. You thought Woohyun would ask you to be his girl again. ‘Well, maybe this means he really wanted me to let go of our love…’

 

“So… Err…”

 

“T-truce?” You said as you held out your hand.

 

“Y-yeah.” Woohyun shook your hands.

 

You smiled at each other as you start over again.

 

…As friends.

 

And nothing more.

 

……………………………………………………………

 

End of Chapter 20