Achilles’ heels

The Story Only We Knew

 

Third person POV

 

[13 December, 2010]

 

“Since tomorrow is Idol Star Athletic Championships, I’m going to train for my running event and..” Yoseob started.

 

“Um hmm” IU grunted while nibbling at her biscuit.            

 

“And you’re coming along with me!” He ended his sentence with a tint of excitement.

 

“WHAT!? RUNNING?! NO! NOT RUNNING NOOOOO” IU dragged her voice in an attempt to exaggerate her unwillingness to run.

 

 

She hated running as a kid. She was good in her academics, almost perfect in composing, not too bad at dancing and she’s totally awesome at singing. Anything except running; it was her only Achilles’ heels --- and on that note, it means she’s really y at running.

 

 

‘I can’t even outrun an old granny..’ She shuddered at the thought as she remembered an encounter…

 

---

 

[Pre-debut when IU was still a trainee]

 

“Hey! Stop!” IU shouted in a desperate attempt to attract the bus driver and hopefully he’ll stop the bus for her.

 

She panted like a dog with drips of sweat trickling down her temple but she did not give up. She continued running after the bus. She can’t afford to miss that bus. If she missed it, by the next bus comes, she’d definitely be late for her auditions at LOEN entertainment.

 

As she was running, she gradually realized she wasn’t alone. She turned her head and she could see that there was an old lady chasing after the same bus too. That lady, seemingly 60 to 70 years old age bearing a head of white hair, was amazingly running at her pace. Scratch that; she overtook IU in the blink of an eye.

 

Eventually, thanks to that old lady (80%) and her determination (20%), IU managed to get into the bus and pass the audition successfully.

 

---

 

“You can do anything with determination” Yoseob placed his hands on her shoulders to encourage her.

 

“Sometimes, even determination alone is not enough,” IU sighed. “I’m just that hopeless in sports.”

 

“I’m not awesome in sports too, Ji Eun. But I try my best. How about you cycle while I jog?” Yoseob suggested.

 

“I can’t cycle… Argh, this is so depressing!” IU bursts out as she messes up her hair.

 

“I can teach you~” Yoseob sang as he pulled back all of IU’s loose strands.

 

 

He combed her hair with his fingers and re-tied her hair into a high pony tail.

 

 

“There, you look much more energetic now. Get changed quickly”

 

 

Yoseob tried to pull frowning IU up from the couch but she just wouldn’t budge.

 

 

“Get change now! Or do you want me to do it for you?” He taunted with an evil smile.

 

“You wouldn’t dare to.” IU crossed her arms in front of her chest and gave a triumphant smile.

 

“Oh really?” Yoseob started pulling up his sleeves and he closed the gap between the both of them.

 

 

With a gasp, IU ran into her room and slammed the door shut.


 

 

“WHAT?! YOU ARE PLANNING TO RUN ALONG THE HAN RIVER!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? YOU MUST BE MAD!” IU exclaimed loudly into Yoseob’s ears after he shared his ambitious routine for the day.

 

“Mad? No, I’m not. It’s definitely possible!” Yoseob pointed at the map he held whilst defending himself. And since the bicycle tyre went out of air, we gotta make do with our legs!”

 

“From this point to this point, it’s really do-able. It’s 10 am now and I’m sure we can complete the course by 3pm if we start right now. And we can make a turn here and run back to this point. See?” Yoseob’s fingers flew across the map from one end to the other end of the drawing of the river while persuading a wide-eyed IU.

 

“By 3?! NO NO NO I CAN’T EVEN COMPLETE THIS IF YOU GIVE ME 2 DAYS. OPPA NOOOOO” IU yelled desperately with both her palms cupping her cheeks.

 

“Let’s get started already!” Yoseob grabbed IU by her wrist and started pulling her towards the running track.

 

“Err… I’m not feeling well! I have a headache. Ah!” IU dropped to the ground on purpose and pressed her fingers against her temple.

 

“Ji Eunnie!! We can do it! You have to believe in us!!” 

 

“Hey guys, wassuppppppp! What a coincidence to meet both of you here!” Doojoon chirped from behind the duo.

 

“Oppa?” IU smiled widely at her savior.

 

“Ji Eun-ah, long time no see!” Kikwang patted IU’s head lovingly.

 

“Please tell me why am I here right now?” Junhyung asked Doojoon grudgingly.

 

 “Hyung! CEO wanted us to practice for tomorrow’s Idol Star Athletics Championships, remember?” Dongwoon reminded him kindly, earning himself a slap on his head.

 

“We could’ve been slacking at home, dude…” Hyunseung crossed his arms across his chest.

 

“NO NO NO. Our mission is to protect Ji Eun, you dummies!” Doojoon said insistently. “Oops, I just said it out loud, didn't I? Oh my...” 

 

“Correction. We’re not protecting IU now, we’re ruining Yoseob’s date yo~” Junhyung stated.

 

“The only thing we have to do is to practice for tomorrow’s championships. We have to get at least 1 medal! We can do it!!!” Kikwang punched a fist into the air.

 


 

Hey guise, I'm back from my hiatus! ....Well, kind of.

 

I know, I know. It's been kinda long but I was busy with school and work and some life drama. And my laptop died on me a couple of times and I lost the laptop charger, which is just dumb. Okay, the list of excuse is long but here I am now! Isn't DJ so darn cute?

 

P.S. And anyone noticed Seob's new song, Caffeine? The first line is "can't sleep tonight" and I set it as alarm. Ironic much hah. Kay, I'm out ^^