Stayover

The Story Only We Knew

Yoseob’s POV

 

“What would you like to drink?” Ji Eun asked once I settled down on the couch.

“Anything except cola” I blurted out.

 

I swore I heard her giggling at the back of the kitchen. I walked around the apartment, looking at all her photo frames. She had a really big family portrait hung on the wall, right on top of the couch.

 

‘How family-orientated’

 

“What are you looking at, oppa?” She joined me with a small smile.

 

She followed my gaze and her eyes too, landed on the portrait. I stole a glance at her and I saw her smile fall into a frown.

 

‘She must be homesick…’

 

“Ji Eun-ah…” I started.

“Yes?” She forced out a smile. “Here, your drink”

 

She held out the glass to me and I took a sip from it, wondering if I should say anything about it. With a determined face, I placed the glass on the console and held her shoulders.

 

“Ji Eun-ah, don’t bottle up your feelings, alright? You know you can always tell me anything”

“I…” She hesitated. “I miss them so bad… I didn’t even have a good talk with my oppa that day when he visited”

“Yah, don’t cry in front of me! I don’t want it to seem like I’m bullying you!” I tried to lighten the atmosphere as I wiped her tears away.

 

She sniffed and nodded.

 

“I don’t like it when you’re crying… Please stop…” I pulled her into a hug helplessly.

 

I know how hard it is to be alone, without your parents around you, fighting for fame and following your dreams. I had been away from home since I was young, staying in the practice room and sometimes in saunas. I couldn’t even afford to travel home often. It’s probably twice as hard for her, since she is much younger than me and what’s more, she’s a girl. My heart ached when I saw her acting this way. I wished there was a way for me to make things better for her.

 

“Shall we watch the television?” I asked in an awkward attempt to distract her.

 

She sniffed and I switched the television set on.

 

“It’s ‘Autumn fairytale’…” Her eyes glued onto the screen immediately.

“Why is fate playing with them? She shouldn’t have a disease like that… They finally could be together.” She sobbed even more than before.

 

‘Damn! What did I do!? ARGH’ I thought, frustrated.
 

“Ji Eun-ah, this drama is boring! Let’s switch!”

“What channel, oppa?”

“SBS? I don’t know! I normally watch only the 9 to 10 P.M. dramas…” I answered, laying my head on her lap.

“You watch dramas?” She looked amused.

“I don’t smoke, I don’t drink and I don’t take drugs either. But I watch dramas; it’s hard to quit keke”

“Did you watch the drama I sang the OST for?” She asked curiously.

“Which one? Road No. 1 or Queen Seon Deok? I heard both anyway, oh well keke” I chuckled a reply.

“Really? I thought no one would realize the Queen Seon Deok one since it's the ending title…” She trailed off.

“I heard all your collaborations too, with Key, Sung Si Kyung, Na Yoon Kwon and Yoo Seung Ho…” I stopped halfway, not wanting her to think I’m a stalker or something along that line.

“Really!?” She gasped. “Wow. I should start doing some research on you!”

“You don’t have to know my past! I’ll tell you something current~” I sang childishly.

“Tell me tell me” She squealed excitedly while shaking my shoulders.

“Stop moving around so much! I’m getting a headache!”

“Tell me first” She insisted.

“Nooooo…!”

“Yahhhh oppaaaaaaaa!” She pinched my cheeks and I sat up immediately.

“What was that for?” I pouted as I rubbed my sore cheeks.

“Tell me please?” She continued pleading me.

 

I settled my head on her lap again before answering.

 

“We’re having our solo concert in 3 days’ time” I said nonchalantly.

“Oh my! I haven’t had a concert before! That’s so fast… Lucky you”

“And I brought tickets… It’s in my bag. The VIP section.” I pointed out.

“You brought tickets? For me? I can go? Really?” She bombarded me with a string of questions.

“Of course, you’re my girl. You have to be there with me” I winked at her.

“Really? But wait! Shouldn’t you be practicing instead of visiting me?” She asked worriedly. “Work is more important”

“I had a day’s break, don’t worry about it” I her hair.

 

I always thought girls would willfully want the guy to place them as top priority instead of work.

 

‘She’s definitely different’


 

“Hurry, load faster!” I nagged at the monitor for the umpteenth time.

“Relax! We’ve got the whole night to load that song, oppa” Ji Eun laughed at my childish and futile act.

“Oooooh it’s done! Finally! Yayyyyy!” I squealed and punched a fist in the air victoriously.

 

I played the song immediately and urged Ji Eun to show me her first live performance for ‘Good Day’.

 

“I can’t! I need a male partner!”

“What!? You need a partner for this dance!? And the partner’s a guy!?” I pouted.

“Yes, why?”

“Nothing!” I lay on the couch with my back facing her.

“What happened? Why are you angry all of a sudden?” She asked innocently.

“Nothing”

 

Awkward silence.

 

“Okay, I changed my mind. I’m just jealous” I sat up with my arms crossed while giving her an intense stare.

“Why?” She stared back with curious eyes.

“Because you’re gonna be dancing with a guy in all those live performances!” I stated.

“Just because of that?” She stifled a laugh.

“Is it funny? I’m jealous, Ji Eun-ah!” I threw my temper like a little kid who wants things in his way.

“It’s the choreography, I can’t do anything about it” She tried to reason.

“But still!”

“Oppa! I’m hungry!”

“Don’t change the topic…” I mumbled.

“I’m not, I’m really hungry” She pouted.

“Fine! Want me to cook you something?” I offered and walked towards the kitchen.

“Yes, please~”

“What would you like?”

“Anything would do; you know I’m not fussy about food~”

“Ji Eun-ah, where did you put the eggs? I can’t find them!”

“Manager oppa didn’t buy new ones?” She poked her head into the almost empty fridge.

“There’re no proper ingredients for me to start cooking!” I gave up and closed the fridge.

“Let’s go grocery shopping!” Ji Eun suggested.

“Now?” I stared at my watch. “Ji Eun-ah, it’s like 3 A.M. now…”

“I think there’s a 24/7 supermarket around in this estate! I remember!”

“Can we not go? Im tired and lazy” I grumbled.

“But Im hungry, oppa!”

“Oh well, anything for you, Ji Eun-ah...”


Third person POV

 

“Wheeeeee~”

“Oppa! Go slower!” IU chided.

“It’s fun!” Yoseob replied with all smiles.

“Accidents might happen due to your reckless driving keke”

“But there’s only us here, don’t worry!”

“I’m having a headache with all that drifts you did!”

 

After looking around the estate for a full hour, the couple finally reached the supermarket IU was talking about safely.

 

“Eggs, carrots, apples, pancake mix, honey syrup…” IU sat cross-legged in the shopping cart while reading off from the long shopping list they made before leaving the house.

 

She looked around her and realized that Yoseob was piling up the cart with loads of snacks which were not even included in their list.

 

“Oppa!” She pouted and pointed at the small mountain of snacks. “We could exceed our budget!”

“Don’t worry, Ji Eun-ah! I’m feeling generous today and I want to boost our country’s economy by increasing consumption~” Yoseob sang proudly.

“Let’s just get this over and done with, oppa; I’m tired already” IU complained.

 

Without a second word, Yoseob ran all around the place searching for the necessities listed on the shopping list.

 

“Oppa, are you okay? Why are running around?”

“Actions speak louder than words! Need to finish this fast so my Ji Eunie can get to bed as soon as possible”


 

“Do you need help?” IU poked her head into the kitchen carefully.

“No! Go get some rest! You need to practice for your comeback stage tomorrow!” Yoseob gave IU a slight push out of the kitchen and sat her down on the couch.

“I’ve got everything under control! Don’t worry!” Yoseob said confidently. “Just sit and wait, alright?”

 

With that, he ran back to the kitchen and got himself busy. IU lay on the comfortable couch and waited patiently. Soon, IU’s droopy eyes struggled to keep open. She’s been practicing for the whole day before Yoseob came over and she was dead beat. The comfy couch and soft cushions were not helping either.

 

“Ji Eun! I’m done!” Yoseob squealed excitedly as he placed his masterpieces on the dining table.

 

‘Why is she so quiet?’

 

Sensing something wrong, he walked over to the couch and found the fast-asleep IU. He gently poked IU’s smooth cheeks and button nose several times while chuckling at her cuteness. Looking at her sleeping was a lot of fun for Yoseob.

 

Not wanting to wake her up from her deep slumber, Yoseob silently pulled her into his arms with a firm grip. He carried IU into her bedroom, bridal style, and laid her on the bed. He knelt down next to the bed and continued staring at IU for what seemed like forever. But Yoseob never got tired of it. In fact, he would never ever get tired of looking at IU. It was the little things she did that charm him and every small action of hers captures his whole attention.

 

“Oh, I’m running late!” Yoseob exclaimed in shock as his sight left IU for a moment and landed on the clock on the side table.

 

He scribbled a short note and left the apartment soon after, heading for the practice for their upcoming concert without any sleep.


 

IU’s eyes fluttered opened as the rays of sunlight penetrated through the see-through curtain. She rubbed her blurry eyes and rolled in her bed for a while before noticing the note Yoseob wrote before he left. She picked it up from the side table and read it carefully.

 

“Ji Eunie! Rise and shine keke~ Sorry, I’ve got to go to practice so I have to leave early or else manager hyungs  might go to the police after realizing I’ve gone missing xD I left the breakfast on the dining table~ Have nice day ahead ^^”

 

After reading the short note, IU got out of bed to find inviting pancakes, sausages and scrambled eggs laid nicely on the dining table. She instantly grabbed her mobile phone and sent a text message while enjoying the breakfast Yoseob prepared for her.

 

From: Ji Eun

Oppa, please have a lot of sleep tonight since you haven’t slept a wink yesterday because of me ): The breakfast was yummy~ Concentrate on the practice for now! Fighting ^^


 

Sorry for the irregular flow :( I don't really know how to continue with this story anymore. My writing , OMG. Maybe I'll end it soon... But there's still so many events left to write! T^T Sighh.. Headache ;~~~;