My favourite, but you already knew

The Story Only We Knew

Yoseob’s POV

[25 August, 2010]

I closed the diary and laid my head comfortably on the pillow. Suddenly, an idea struck me.

 

From: Seobbie Oppa

Ji Eun-ie! Do you want a treat? Are you free today? ;)  

 

“BEEP BEEP YOU HAVE A NEW TEXT MESSAGE BEEP BEEP”

From: Ji Eun

Hi oppa! (: But why so sudden?

From: Seobbie Oppa

I got on a show and won some money. Although it had to be split, but I still can afford ice cream! I somehow thought of you immediately once I crave for ice cream :P 

From: Ji Eun

So I’ll meet you at the café we frequent in an hours' time? I want to try out the ice cream waffles there! :D

From: Seobbie Oppa

Sure! See you! :DDDD  

 

I jumped off the double decker bed and got changed immediately. Meeting Ji Eun was definitely something important and worth looking forward to (:


 

Third person POV

 

Yoseob walked out of the lobby of his apartment building. Clad in a simple and comfortable outfit, he strolled down the street into the café he and IU always went to.

 

‘Is it a little too early?’ He thought to himself.

 

He walked out of the café and continued down the street. It was then when he realised there’s a new florist 2 shop spaces away from the Chinese restaurant he and Ji Eun went to on ‘Black Day’.

 

“Should be newly-opened. Let me check this out” He peeked curiously into the shop and at the same time pushes the glass door open.

“Welcome!” The cashier lady welcomed him warmly and walked towards his direction. “May I help you?”

“I’m just taking a look.” He returned the smile.

 

‘Wow, these flowers are so pretty… Maybe I should buy some for Ji Eun?’

 

“Excuse me, ma’am” he tried looking for the cashier lady but she couldn’t be found.

“Yes sir!” She suddenly popped out of the store room and startled Yoseob with her re-appearance. “Sorry I was putting away some stuff at the back. Once again, may I help you?”

“Errr… I’m actually meeting a friend and I want to give her…”

“Girlfriend?” She interrupted with sparkly eyes.

“Erm… No.” Yoseob wasn’t comfortable with that question at all.

 

‘Not yet, to be exact.’

 

“So…” The cashier lady broke his thoughts before they could drift any further.

“Just flowers for a normal friend.” She nodded thoughtfully to herself.

“Yupp… And I don’t want her to by any chance feel overwhelmed or burdened by it”

“Does she happen to have any favourites?”

“Something light… Like champagne roses?” Yoseob suggested.

 

He heard IU mentioning something about champagne roses when they were chatting about random stuff in the past.

 

“Champagne roses it is!” She decided. “Now, how many stalks?”

 

Before she could start explaining the meanings, Yoseob stopped her.

 

“Up to you.” He shrugged.

 

He had totally no idea things work. He never understood how people cared so much about 1 stalk of rose being ‘love at first sight’ and things like that. Although him being romantic is an undeniable fact, all these seemed pretty lame to him.

 

“Since you’re friends, why not 13? It means ‘friends forever’”

 

‘But I don’t want to be only friends,’ Yoseob protested in his head.

 

“Any other choices?”

“You do like her, don’t you?” The cashier lady narrowed her eyes at him and stared hard.

 

He nodded and she gave a slight laugh.

 

“Knew it. How can there be platonic friendship when you’re buying roses for a girl?”

“…”

“7 means ‘I’m infatuated with you’. 20 means ‘I’m sincere’. Make your choice” She winked at Yoseob.

“20.” He said firmly. “Red for the wrapper and yellow for the ribbon. Those are her favorite colors.”

“Sure, anything for you, my dear boy. Do you want to write a card while I’m busy with these?” She held out her left hand and offered a light purple card to him, together with a pen.

“Thanks” Yoseob said with a grateful smile.

 

She was done wrapping and arranging the bunch of roses within minutes.

Yoseob scribbled in his prettiest handwriting:

 

‘Ji Eun-ah,          

                  Sorry for being a willful oppa and not being able to take care of you well at times ): Thanks for the utmost care you showed for me when I was hospitalized. I feel really bad that you made it a point to visit me every day despite of your packed schedules. I'll never forget you and the things you've done for me. Thank you very very much (:      

With love,                              

Seobbie oppa


 

Yoseob walked into the café once again and chose the table by the window. He always liked looking at the bustling streets with different types of people walking past him as he drank his americano. After he sat down, he hid the bouquet under the table carefully. He even stood up to make sure that IU couldn’t see it when she walked in from the entrance.

 

“Sorry oppa! I’m late again.” IU panted heavily as she ran into the café with her hair scattered around her face.

“It’s okay, take a seat first.” He said while patting her back and helping her push her hair to the back of her ears. “Serve it now! And an additional green tea please”

“Oppa, you ordered before I reached?”

“Yupp… Chocolate chip ice cream waffles. Correct me if I’m wrong” Yoseob smirked.

“Aww… How could you read my mind before I even reach this place? You’re impossible!”

“It’s called telepathy” He winked.

 

IU blushed and looked down shyly. There was complete silence for about a minute.

 

“Oppa, why are you so quiet out of a sudden?” She asked while raising her face.

 

When she looked up, all she saw was a bouquet of champagne roses being held out right in front of her face.

 

“Oppa…”

“Yah! Ji Eun-ah! Hurry, take it! My hands are tired” Yoseob pouted and gave his irresistably cute puppy eyes.

“T-t-thanks oppa…” IU said, still in her daze.

“Why? Are you not happy from receiving flowers?” Yoseob asked worriedly.

“These are my favourites – but you already knew…” She smelled the roses with a satisfied smile.

“There’s a card too” Yoseob stopped her. “Yah! Read it at home, won’t you? It’s embarassing”

“Here’s your order! Enjoy your desserts~” The waitress butted into their conversation.

 

Yoseob put the flowers away as IU tied her hair back into a ponytail.

 

“They really have chemistry”

“What a cute couple”

 

The staff at the counter were whispering to one another. Both IU and Yoseob heard them, loud and clear, but they pretended nothing happened. Both blushed madly, digging deeper and deeper into their ice cream without looking up even once throughout dessert time.