Breathe

Turmoil

                This divorce was supposed to be freeing, new beginnings and all that. Yet Ken was feeling dissatisfied, Leo was talking less and less and Ken knew had never been great between them but now Leo was not even trying. Ken loved Leo so much he used to put all these problems at N's door. Yet, here they were, in bed, the papers signed and Leo was on his tablet. He obvioulsy had forgotten Ken who was beside him. Ken shook his shoulder, "Leo?"

"Yeah?" Leo turned to look at him expectantly. His eyes were blank and Ken still loved them as he shivered at Leo's stare. He did not give up though,

"Put that aside", he encouraged as he drew closer to Leo. He kissed Leo's shoulder and ran a hand down his chest to his abdomen and below. But Leo was unresponsive. Ken tried again and finally he gave up, flung the sheets and got up angry. "What is the matter with you?' N has moved on with Ravi and you remain here like this".

Leo only looked at Ken, unmoved by his words and Ken added, "I don't know how I fell for you. I should've fallen for N when I met you both".

Leo still did not react and that hurt Ken very much. He grabbed the top sheet off the bed, leaving Leo stark and marched out. Leo simply resumed work on his tablet. He didn't even hear when Ken started his car and zoomed off.

              N had cooled down considerably since scolding Hyuk and warned him to focus on his upcoming exams. "How can I ?" Hyuk muttered to himself, "When you and Leo are scaring me like this". Hyuk was still finding it hard to admit to himself he was also bothered by Hongbin. He had to go see Leo anyway. He arrived his brother's house to find the place eerily quiet except for a steady thump. It was the weekend, Leo should be watching a football match if he was home and his car was in the driveway, indicatiing he was.

Hyuk rushed inside and made straight for Leo's bedroom. He found his older brother on the floor, stark and wet, from sweat or his shower, Hyuk could not tell. His towel had come off and his face was twisted in pain as his fist thumped the floor.  Hyuk did not waste time, he closed the drapes to prevent any light coming in while dialing emergency with the cordless phone. Then he called N and left a message when he did not get him. By that time, he was kneeling beside his brother and struggling not to sob as he covered Leo with a bathrobe lying nearby and tried to make him as comfortable as possible while rubbing Leo's back. And he waited for help to come. N had been showering when Hyuk called. He listened to the message, "N, N, It's Leo. It's bad". There was a hitch in Hyuk's voice.

         By the time N arrived Leo and his old home, the paramedics were already there and had settled Leo comfortably. One was lecturing Leo about vigilance on his refills and compliance with his prescriptions. Then she reminded him not to forget his scheduled Dr's appointment. They thanked the paramedics before they left. Hyuk was lying beside Leo on the bed, watching him very closely. Leo twitched under his little brother's scrutiny, ":I am fine ok? I am fine" He reassured him, "You always make a big deal of it. They pass away, remember?" Then Leo looked up and saw N who was still standing at the door. He spoke to Hyuk without looking away from N, "And why did you call N?" But Hyuk only grabbed Leo's arm and held on tightly while scooting closer and crowding him. N finally found the strength to move and came to stand beside the bed on Leo's side. He looked down at Leo, then suddenly hit his shoulder. "Hey!" Leo exclaimed but N was not listening as he hit him again, "Idiot. Do you know how scared I was. Last time you ended up in the E.R. You could have died!" Saying it out loud redoubled N's fears and now he was trembling. His voice rose as he continued, "You are never careful with your own self as you are with others". N was preparing to hit him again when Leo grabbed his arm and pulled him to himself and N stumbled into his arms. N's eyes were red and his voice wobbled as he kept at it, "You are not careful Leo. You have to be". Leo pulled N to the other side of him so now he was between him and Hyuk and he laid N's head on his shoulder. Both did not notice when Hyuk scooted away to leave them alone. N finally let go and cried unashamedly.

         N remembered clearly, very clearly, last time Leo's crisis was this bad. His parents knew it was the end for their son. Hyuk had argued that it could not be and N had been in a daze. If Leo had died, N knew he would have followed. That was how close he felt to Leo and this doofus could not see it. It frightened N just how attuned he was to Leo. That was the real reason he wanted out. To have such a strong tie to another human being could not be normal. He got under the covers and lay in Leo's arms listening to his heartbeat. He was still fully dressed and hoped Leo could not tell how much he was shuddering. But Leo held him tighter and they stayed like that for a long while.