-O6

Way Back Home

might contain typos

 

“I have to do something!” Ken roared as he walked inside his office and tossed all the folders that he was holding to his desk. He angrily sat on the chair and all his anger began to intensify every passing second. His assistant entered the room with a terrified expression. Seeing Ken in this state wasn’t new to him but every time it happens, it wasn’t that easy to shrug all the fear away.

His assistant, Hyuk, went closer and picked up some of the papers that were flown out of the folders. Suddenly, Ken stomped his fist strongly against the wooden table followed by an annoyed screech. “When will the board members realize that Mark is a hell of a disappointment?!” he yelled before grabbing one of the folders to re-read one of Mark’s stated resort proposals. It was so perfect; but as expected, Ken would still call it a failure since he is Mark’s no.1 hater.  

“I’m pretty sure that his brother, Jinyoung, helped him.” Hyuk lowly muttered.

Ken calmed a bit and closed the folder. He remembered his cousin; his new cousin. Jinyoung is a typical man that’s obviously not interested in any form of business. It was weird for Ken. As a Tuan, it has become a family tradition that all of them should enter the business industry whether you like it or not. The fact that their grandfather agreed with Jinyoung’s plea to take a different path and Mark’s support for his brother’s decision brought some questions in his mind. “Why did grandpa allowed him to step out of the presidency race?” Ken asked.

Hyuk stood up and scratched his nape. “Maybe because they want to grant all his wishes since they haven’t been together for 20 years.”

Ken stood up as well. “Oh. Nonetheless, I still want him and Mark out of this company. I want the position so bad and I’m willing to do anything for it.”

The clock struck 2PM and Hyuk checked his planner. There’s a meeting schedule today for the additional evaluations for Mark’s proposal. Ken was assigned to lead for today’s meeting with the board members and he’s more than excited to crush all the hope and determination in Mark’s heart. “Sir, the board members are waiting. Shall we?”

Ken grabbed a folder and smirked. “Come on, boy. I still have some people to disgrace.”

 

 

Jinyoung sat on a familiar seat in the conference room. All the board members are quietly talking and they also started some topics involving him. It was still awkward but somehow, Jinyoung was working on it. Mark was beside him, reading some papers calmly. The atmosphere was so tranquil and proper before Ken came in.  He was bringing his arrogant aura that instantly killed the pleasant vibe.  No nice words were said aside from a very displeasing ‘Good Day.’

 

The meeting started. Mark and Jinyoung remained silent as Ken began talking about the project and not stopping to highlight all the possible negative outcome. Some points, the board members would react and counter off his words. He would shut the issue and open up a new one. It was really obvious that he was trying to convince everyone that Mark’s idea is a huge mistake.

 

“And as we all know, there’s a follow-up meeting tomorrow. Same time, same place. With that, we are all expecting Mark to show a physical model of his proposed resort plan.” All the people glanced at Mark who was currently in shock. He wasn’t expecting that to happen that soon. No one can finish a resort model overnight. His face was to inexpressible that it left a satisfied smirk on Ken’s lips. “Am I right, Mr. President?” Ken added while looking at their grandfather who seems to be hating all the attitude that Ken was bringing in.

Their grandfather gulped and gazed at Mark. “Yes. We will be expecting it tomorrow, Mark.”

And at the moment, the fear in Mark’s heart intensified. Clearly, his grandfather showed his support for Ken’s hasty moves and once the president gave his words, there’s no going back. But his grandfather agreed because deep inside he knew that Mark can do it. He believes that Mark can finish it and give a very pleasing presentation the next day.  Beneath the table, Jinyoung reached for Mark’s hand and gave it a light squeeze; a sign that he’s there to help.

“Well, I just hope that we can get a decent presentation tomorrow. I want to see if you all trusted the right person for this project. Anyway, I wish you all the best Mark.”

 

The other just sat there and controlled his emotions like how he usually does that. Being too affected about Ken’s words won’t do any good so after all these years, he completely mastered how to remain calm. Jinyoung wanted to speak up and defend Mark but then again, he’s not in the place to do it. “Oh and Jinyoung, how I wish you can do something to help your brother. But I will give you something that your IQ can accommodate.”

That was the time when Mark’s ears perked up. It was getting worse. “Excuse me?” an unfamiliar voice rose. Jinyoung never spoke that way. This is going to be the first time that he’ll be raising his voice a bit. His voice was always gentle and full of joy but when he heard how Ken talked, it was too harsh to ignore. He may not be that rich but he was raised to be brave and outspoken. Mark admired how Jinyoung stood for himself. He really is one of a kind.

Ken chuckled. “I mean, I will give something that’s easier. I don’t think reading all the books overnight would make you that smart and knowledgeable about things. What were you again before you became a Tuan?” he teased and rolled his eyes. “Oh… someone who is jobless that runs away from his debts and sleeps in random places, right?” he added as all the board members got surprised and started whispering against each other.

Jinyoung bit his lips and clenched his fist. “So you have to make some floor plans for the resort. I’m not forcing you, though. But I hope that’s not beyond your capacities. As a Tuan, your needs to be lifted off the chair and your brain needs to used in order to help for the company’s progress. If you can’t do that then we don’t need you here.” Ken finished with his signature devilish smirk. Mark wanted to stuff all the papers inside Ken’s mouth at that point. He can feel all the tension that Jinyoung was controlling inside his physique and if he bursts out, Mark would never stop him because Ken deserves all the fury that Jinyoung can give. “Ken!” Mark called out and Ken never bothered to look.

 

Jinyoung surprisingly smiled and all the board members were taken aback. “Just so you don’t know, I graduated with a degree in architecture, Ken. Floor plans are just as simple as ABC’s. And besides, I’m willing to help and give all my time in this company without expecting any in return.” All the people were still shocked at how Jinyoung handled the situation. It was really a diplomatic way of dealing with misunderstandings. Deep inside, Jinyoung knew that he was right.

Ken was somehow embarrassed. He furrowed his brow as he stared at Jinyoung’s beam. The boy seemed to be bulletproof. It was so impossible that Jinyoung wasn’t affected at all. “Do you think your college degree will make you deserve a place here?” Ken remarked, not giving up.

“Do you think your attitude can help in the progress of this company?” Jinyoung replied.

 

Their grandfather saw how things heated up between the boys. “Okay, the meeting ends here. Mark and Jinyoung, we will be expecting your presentations and proposals tomorrow.” And as the boys nodded, all the board members and even Ken bid goodbye. Sooner, Jinyoung and Mark left the area and went straight to the car as they decided to go by the supplies store and buy some materials for the model. The car moved and as expected, Jinyoung was silently looking at the bright scenery outside.

 

“Nyoung?” Mark asked. Jinyoung snapped back and glanced at Mark with a subtle beam. “Are you okay?” he added.

Jinyoung nodded. “Yes! Half tired and half worried about the floor plans. It’s been years since I last made some for my college finals.” Mark smiled and focused on his driving. He can say how strong Jinyoung is; mentally, physically and emotionally. He was always smiling and shrugging all the anxiety inside him. “I’m so sorry about Ken.”

“It’s okay, Mark. You, are you okay? I wanted to speak up for you earlier but I don’t think I’m in the right place to do so.”

It was so sudden that Jinyoung just felt Mark’s hand on top of his. He blushed lightly and stared back the window to avoid the man’s gaze. “I’m fine. I’m used to it. Thank you, Jinyoung. Sorry if I wasn’t able to stop him. Sorry if I wasn’t able to protect you.” Jinyoung shook his head and gripped tighter on Mark’s hand. It feels so good to know that Mark cares for him. They drove towards the mall with their hands still clasped. It was too little to worry about since they both need a small out of peace in their hearts.

They arrived at the supplies store. Mark took a cart and Jinyoung begun grabbing the needed things. He picked some boards, paints and glues. It was a typical thing for Jinyoung to do physical models since they’ve done that during his college years. Being an architect really is a hell of a hard work. He was smiling throughout the entire shopping and he kept on explaining Mark all the needed things and how it should look like,

“I don’t have any idea, Jinyoung. I’m not a creative person.” Mark said as he search for the right hues of paints.

“I will help you.” Jinyoung offered. He shoots some brushes and glues inside the cart as they walked further to gather more things. “But how about the floor plans?”  Mark asked with a worried tone.

Jinyoung turned around and beamed before wrapping an arm on Mark’s shoulder. “It can make it less than 3 hours. Just let me help you, okay?” and Mark nodded.

 

 

Having Jinyoung by his side makes his life easier. Not just because of the project but it’s the way Jinyoung bring smiles and that fuzzy feeling every time he’s around. It’s how he makes everything look easy despite the utter truth that its way too hard.  Everything about Jinyoung is perfect and it made him wonder why Jaebum left him hanging. It must be really hard for Jinyoung to deal with his situation at that point but he was happy that Jinyoung got over him and finally he’s back to normal. After hours of roaming around, Mark and Jinyoung decided to go home. They paid for the things and drove back home. As usual, they weren’t able to eat dinner since they’ll be very busy. Jinyoung even doubt if they can sleep tonight.

Mark started with the physical model and Jinyoung got his hands on the floor plans. The tidy room became slightly messy in a split second. Scattered pieces of boards, papers and styrofoam are seen everywhere but Mark tries to gather them in a particular spot. Sometimes, Jinyoung would lift his ruler and pen off the papers and talk to Mark just to ease their stress.

 

Hours passed and not even half of the model was done. Mark never had a thing for these. He hates paining, cutting and measuring. Good thing Jinyoung was done with the floor plans so he went to Mark and gave some help. Jinyoung watched how Mark’s sweat rolled down from his temple to his chin. He admired how he breathe; so fine and steady. He liked how his lips pursed at some moments when he’s getting tensioned. He loved how Mark stutters whenever he’s getting too near.  If he could only claim Mark as his, he would really do it. But why was he feeling that way? Is he falling again? No. He can’t.

Without any words, Jinyoung went out of the room, leaving Mark clueless. After few minutes, he came back with a tray of cookies and 2 glasses of milk. He smiled and walked towards Mark. “Cookies and milk for dinner.” He giggled and Mark let go of the paint brush. He sat beside Jinyoung as they munched on their meal.  Anything shared with Jinyoung is perfect. “How’s Melon?” Mark asked, taking a cookie from the plate and shoving it inside his mouth.

Jinyoung smiled. “He’s fine! He’s inside the kennel for the entire day but I explained why. I said that his parents are very busy right now so we can’t play with him.”

“What did he said?”

“Arf! Arf!”

Mark laughed and Jinyoung joined in. For once, Mark believed in magic. The sparks and all the glitters that he saw after hearing Jinyoung’s angelic laugh, his eyes were beautifully crinkling and everything went right. In a short while, he realized how Jinyoung genuinely showed his true self in front of him and maybe that’s why Mark admire him a lot. He’s very true to himself.

 

After finishing the food, they went back to their duties. Since Jinyoung’s room is still under renovation, he still stays in Mark’s. They’re halfway done and Mark wished that they can stay like this for more hours. He doesn’t care if he’ll get extra tired as long as he can have Jinyoung that close to him. It was now 11:30PM and they’re both sleepy. The peaceful room was suddenly bugged when Mark heard a yelp. He snapped back to his senses and saw Jinyoung staring at his own finger. Mark went closer and saw that a small yet deep cut was done on Jinyoung’s index finger. The blood oozes and Jinyoung got nervous. Mark immediately stood up and looked for a bottle of alcohol, a cotton ball and a band-aid.  

 

“Let me do it.” Mark said, taking Jinyoung’s hand and putting the cotton soaked in alcohol on the open cut. Jinyoung tighten his hold on Mark’s hand when the stinging feeling intensified. Mark repeated the action for a few more times and pulled Jinyoung closer to him to provide more comfort. Mark was oblivious with the fact that Jinyoung was intensely staring at him. That Jinyoung was melting inside and he somehow wished that moment would never end because Mark’s hand against his just feels so majestic.

Mark finished it off with a band-aid. “Thank you.” Jinyoung mumbled. Mark smiled and let go of the younger’s hand. “Be more careful. I don’t want to see you hurting because of me.”

 

 

It was 1AM and they can still see that the project wasn’t even near of completion. Mark was still attaching some materials and Jinyoung was measuring all the needed details. “We need more paints and adhesives.” Jinyoung advised. The elder scratched his nape and looked for a jacket. He passed it to Jinyoung. “Come on, we’ll buy some. I know a 24-hour supplies store.” And with that Jinyoung wore the jacket and the aroma of Mark still lingers on it. It smells so good and Jinyoung loves it. It made him feel like Mark was all over him for the whole time.

 

 They reached the store and Jinyoung rushed to get all the needed materials. He looked for some paint and more adhesives. Mark also got more materials for the other details. “Jinyoung…” Mark called as they walked on an empty section where the boards were placed. The younger glanced at him. “Yup?”

“Thank you.”

“No problem, dude. This is a thing that ---”

“Thank you for everything. From the first day until now. Thank you so much.” And Mark pulled Jinyoung for a tight hug.

 

After they pulled out from each other’s hold, the younger requested that they should pay already and go home so they can finish all the needed work. Mark agreed and they walked towards the counter. Jinyoung took a book from a book stand and asked Mark if he could add it in, of course Mark said yes.

The younger was reading the synopsis written at the back of the book when suddenly he bumped against someone which made his book land on the ground. The man was holding a journal and it also dropped beside Jinyoung’s book.  Jinyoung picked up the book and the journal as he muttered his apology before standing up. “I’m so sorry!” he said, slowly standing up and handing the journal to the guy.

“Jinyoung?” the guy called.

 

Jinyoung’s eyes widen upon hearing his name. The voice seemed to be very familiar. With his feet badly trembling, he looked up and faced the guy. Mark was anticipating all their moments. It was truly surprising that the man knew Jinyoung but the one making his heart race was the fact that Jinyoung was frozen and puzzled.  Jinyoung took a very deep breath.

 

“J-Jaebum…”

 

 

 

 

 

 

an: heyyyyy guysssss! kinda late update lol im sorry. I got busier last week plus I got sick again so....yeah. Hahahahaha! Anyway, thank you for all the support! Hi to my new subscribers!!! *waves* so yeah feel free to leave all your thoughts, suggestions and questions below! Keep the love comin'! Hahahahaaha ☺ Stay safe guys! Love y'all! ☺♥

{!!!} follow me on twitter ; @pjyxcyj :))