-O4

Way Back Home

might contain typos

 

Jinyoung scanned his surroundings. The walls are painted white, there’s a long oak table and office chairs on the sides of it. He can also see a huge metal logo of the Tuan Corporation. He’s certain that this is the conference room of the company but what bugged him the most was the reason why he was there. Mark came along with him when Bambam instructed that the president was expecting them inside the room in less than 10 minutes. Mark isn’t nervous, of course. Jinyoung sat on a chair beside Mark as they anticipated the arrival of their grandfather. “Why are we here?” Jinyoung asked, looking at Bambam who was standing near the door.

“I don’t have any idea as well.” The Thai lad said while scratching his nape. It’s been a week since Jinyoung became a Tuan and until now, he’s still adjusting with his environment. It’s not that he’s having a hard time dealing with his new family but the way of living that he was currently following was too far from what he grew up to. He stays at home most of the times and spent more time with their mom. They started gardening, cooking and other things that a mother and child could enjoy. Mark can see the progress in his family’s attitude when Jinyoung came. Probably, it was the best decision that he ever made so far.

 

Sooner, the president came alongside with the board members and Ken. Mark and Jinyoung stood up and bowed at them before smiling. The nervousness inside Jinyoung’s heart never wavered. Ken sat across Jinyoung and gave him a smirk. All the events made him feel weird that we wanted to throw up right there at his spot. Mark noticed how he tensed up and it is not good considering that they’re in front the high officials. He gave his friend a light pat at the back to give a little comfort. And with that, Jinyoung tried his best to gather himself and act appropriately.

The president instructed them to sit down. As they all settled down, Jinyoung begun shaking his legs due to the tension but Mark observed how he trembled so he placed his hand on top of Jinyoung’s left knee. “Good morning.” Their grandfather started. “First of all, I would like to introduce my grandson, Jinyoung Tuan.” He added.

Jinyoung stood up and stared at the board members. They aren’t really scary at all; in fact they clapped their hands and smiled at him as he remained still. “It was a pleasure meeting you all. I’m Jinyoung.” He introduced himself before sitting down and looking at Ken, who’s having this stiffened face. Mark was just silently observing how things are flowing. All of a sudden, their grandfather spoke again.

“As we all know, Tuan Corporation is in need of a new president. Three years from now, one of these three young men will take my place and be the new CEO of this company. Ken, Mark and Jinyoung, I want the three of you to prepare yourselves and show me what you’ve got to deserve the presidency.”

 

Jinyoung’s ears perked up upon hearing the word ‘three’. It means that he’s included in the race for the most wanted place. He never wanted to a president of a company; never in his whole 21 years of existence. He’s allergic with all the analysis and reports and other weird stuff. And besides, he’s not even the real grandson. Mark stared at him with worry as he can see Ken raise his brows and giving Jinyoung a different look.

 

The boy cleared his throat and stood up. “With all due respect Mr. President, I would like to pull myself out of this competition. I know it would be a shame for the entire clan but I know that I won’t be able to do all the needed responsibilities. Mark and Ken are the most suitable for this position. But despite of this, I promise to extend my help and support the company as much as I can. I hope you all understand.”

Jinyoung stated without even tripping off his words. He was so nervous but he has to push that feeling away to give a positive impression to everyone. All the words that came from his mouth were all truth. He never wanted to join the battle and he’d rather help Mark to reach his goals. All the men were left silent. All of them are taken aback with Jinyoung’s decision. As he sat back down, he glanced at their grandfather while biting his lips.

 

“I understand, Jinyoung. We respect your decision. Thank you.” The president declared with no sign of anger or disappointment. The board members also gave their encouraging words and wished Jinyoung a good luck in his chosen path. Sooner, the men left, leaving Ken, Mark and Jinyoung inside. “Did your brother asked you to do that?” Ken annoyingly said to Jinyoung as Mark shot a sharp glare at his cousin.

Jinyoung shook his head vigorously. “No. It’s my own decision, Ken.” He answered. Jinyoung can feel the anger that Mark was feeling at the current moment. If Ken continued his rough attitude, he’s sure that Mark would burst out and start something that the both of them will never like. Ken rolled his eyes before standing up and turning his back against the two, facing the door.

“How dirty can you still play, Marky dear?” he teased as he exited the conference room.  Mark clenched his fist and attempted to follow Ken, but Jinyoung dragged him back to his chair and held his hand. “Just let him think what he want. We all know the truth.” the younger assured, giving a small amount of relief to Mark’s heavy feeling. He tried to breathe normally and let go of Jinyoung’s hand. “B-But how’d you came up with your decision?” Mark softly asked, reaching for a glass of cold water that Bambam gave earlier.

 

“Mark, we all know that I’m not the real grandson. And besides, I never had a thing for business. They’re dreadful.” He commented, making Mark laugh at the last sentence. At last, Mark found peace in his heart after the rage the Ken gave. Ken really is a tough one. Mark never acted cold around Ken ever since they’re young. But as usual, one should always be more competitive; which happened to be Ken. He wanted to be the best, the only one and the highest among all. He hates it whenever Mark’s abilities outshine his. Despite of all the words and insults he had given to Mark throughout the years, Mark still hopes that Ken would change for the better.

“We’re always here to support you. I’m always here for you, Jinyoung.”

 

 

 

 

 

It was now past 10PM when a knock from outside disturbed the tranquil state of Mark’s bedroom. “Mark?” someone called. Mark stood up from his chair and walked towards the door before turning the knob. With all his surprise, it’s Jinyoung. The boy was hugging a huge white pillow and light blue blanket. Mark beamed. “Hey!” he greeted.

Jinyoung smiled and peeped at the back of Mark. “Uhmmm.. Mark, can I sleep here? My room will be renovated tomorrow morning, so mom asked me to sleep here for a couple of nights. Is it okay?” he questioned, quite shy. The elder chuckled and placed and arm around Jinyoung’s shoulders. ‘Sure thing. Come in.” he softly spoke.

Mark’s room was so nice. The walls are tinted blue and it’s really huge. Frames were hanged on the walls. There’s a bed at the middle, a study table at the side and a huge closet at the far corner. He can say that Mark’s room is as big as his. But the elder’s room was so organized. There were lots of papers scattered on his table and a laptop; proving that he’s currently busy. “I will sleep on the couch or on the floor. Don’t worry.” Jinyoung spoke as soon as he’s inside the room. Mark closed the door and gazed at Jinyoung.

“No! No! Use the bed. We can share, anyway.” Mark insisted and with that, Jinyoung blushed. It’s not that he never shared a bed with someone else before. He did it once with his college friends when they’re reviewing for their finals. But this time, sharing it with Mark gave him a different feel. Maybe because he’s way to far compared to his past classmates. ”Are you sure?” he asked and for an answer, Mark grabbed his pillow and threw it on the bed. “We’ll sleep on the same bed, okay?” Mark stated as he lessen the space between their faces. Jinyoung covered his face and Mark finds it cute. Jinyoung is a cute one, after all.

 

Mark went back to his table and Jinyoung sat on the bed as he tried to calm his raging feels. There’s a part of him saying that he should start a conversation to ease the awkwardness but half of him was telling that he needs to shut the hell up and allow Mark to concentrate with his work. “You can talk if you want.” Mark broke the silence and it somehow surprised the younger. With a little bit of hesitation, Jinyoung cleared his throat and spoke. “What are you doing?” he asked, mentally slapping himself for telling a lame question. Well obviously it’s his work; stuff about the resorts and other transactions.

Mark didn’t bother to look behind, instead he reached for another chair and motioned Jinyoung to sit beside him. With his face still blushing, Jinyoung made his way towards the study table and sat on a chair next to Mark. He observed how Mark took everything seriously. How he comprehend with all the words and statements written on the paper and encoded on the laptop. “These are proposed plans for our resort expansion.” Mark said, pointing to the papers. Jinyoung just nodded and read the words written on it. He can say that Mark really is a very dedicated person.  He works beautifully and effortlessly. It seems like he’s enjoying all of these.  They remained silent for a couple of minutes.

“Have you ever given your heart to someone?” Mark asked out of the blue. The question left a great impact on Jinyoung as he started blinking for a couple of times; trying to repeat the same question over and over again. Mark was so focused on his work that he didn’t saw how Jinyoung panicked in an instant.

 

Jinyoung held his own hands and realized that they’re sweating badly.  “Well…” he started off with a shaky voice. “I poured my heart in my studies because the books, the papers, the notes; they will never hurt you, they will never leave you, they will never push you away.”

Mark stopped scribbling some notes and allowed his pen to roll off the table. The response was something that he never expected to hear from Jinyoung. It was too deep and with that he saw how Jinyoung’s face saddened. It pained him somehow knowing that he was the reason behind all the sudden grief. He wanted to stop asking but he also wanted to know more. “I’m willing to listen, Jinyoung.” He offered. He knew it right away; that Jinyoung’s troubled and consumed with a memory that he wants to get rid of. “Have you ever fallen in love?” he added as a follow up question.

 

“It’s not love, but it’s pretty close.”

Jinyoung bit his bottom lips as he tried not to get emotional. Apparently, it was a topic that he tried to bury deep down the deepest depths, but since Mark asked about it, he dug it all out and maybe find some closure before concealing it again. Mark felt like he’s already talking to a different Jinyoung; to a total stranger. He wanted to close the issue because it might bring pain to the younger but his curiosity won’t let him stop. “What happened?”

Jinyoung sat properly as he watched Mark’s eyes, carefully and lovingly staring at him. “There was this guy in our university named Im Jaebum. We’re in same year. I took interior design and he took engineering. We became friends and sooner, best friends.”

The story appeared to be a familiar one. Most of the people nowadays fall for the people who are really close to their hearts. “Our friendship…Well, I ed that one up.” Jinyoung added with a fake smile. Mark can feel the agony in every word that Jinyoung spits. “You fought?” Mark intrigued as Jinyoung shook his head slowly. Looking at random corners of the room to avoid Mark’s gaze.

 

“I confessed that I like him. And after that, everything became an awkward mess. I used to cry every night and ask myself that out of  7 billion people, why him?! He became cold and distant until our last year in college. What hurts the most was the fact that I lost my best friend. I wished to be the person that he wanted but I somehow realized that you don’t have to force the pieces that aren’t made to fit. I realized that my heart is in the wrong place.”

After all, Jinyoung didn’t broke down or cry. Jaebum is just a part of his past and maybe, opening up and releasing all the left feels made him feel a lot better. “So…you still have a special feeling for him?” Mark had the courage to ask. It was bringing a light pang in his heart and all he wanted right now is to hear that Jinyoung was completely over him.

“After a while, it stopped hurting.” Jinyoung answered and stared at Mark. Their gazes brought sparks as their smiles automatically showed. “I think it’s fate. We’re better off as strangers, again” He added with bright beam, uplifting the mood. Mark took it as a no; that he already trashed all his feelings for Jaebum. Mark pulled Jinyoung for a hug and the younger complied. A warm hug is something that he really needs. “I’m sorry for bringing that up.” Mark apologized.

“Nah. It’s okay. I’m through with it anyway. Now, finish your report.” Jinyoung ordered. They pulled out from each other’s hold and Mark went back to the paper. Jinyoung yawned, loud enough for Mark to hear. The elder laughed. “Go to sleep!” he giggled.

Jinyoung shook his head and rubbed his eyes. “I will stay here.  I will…” he yawned again. Mark chuckled. “…help you with this.”

 

And all of a sudden, Mark stood up and carried Jinyoung, bridal style towards the bed. Jinyoung blushed in a very deep red hue. He covered his face to hide it all. The feeling of Mark’s toned chest against his body was just too hard to ignore. His feelings are getting weirder every passing day. For his first week, this moment would be the most unforgettable. Mark placed him on the right side and it didn’t take to long for Jinyoung to feel a weight getting pressed beside him. He removed his hands covering his own eyes and saw Mark, lying beside him.

 

“I’ll make sure that you’ll sleep.” Mark smirked, pulling the blankets over Jinyoung’s body.

“I…I will s-sleep! P-Please just go back t-to the r-r-report.” Stuttering, he stated.  

“Okay! Good night, Jinyoung.” Mark declared as he stood up and went back to his work. Jinyoung watched him from afar. Mark really is a boyfriend material but Jinyoung warned himself. He can’t fall for the other. They have to remain as friends. Nothing more.

 

Mark finished around 2AM, his eyes are so tired. He rested his body on the soft bed and stared at Jinyoung for quite a long time with a same subtle smile on his lips. He doesn’t know but the impact that Jinyoung gave was no joke. He wrapped and arm around Jinyoung’s slender body and buried his nose on the hair of the sleepy boy. With all his surprise, Jinyoung responded and hugged him back. It was so breath-taking that Mark wanted to see if Jinyoung’s awake or not.

“I’m a cuddler. I hope you don’t mind.”  Jinyoung suddenly said in very sleepy yet cute voice.

Mark smiled and allowed Jinyoung to snuggle closer. “Nope. I’d definitely love this.”

 

 

 

 

 

a/n: hi guys!!!! hahhahhahahaha. so sorry if it took a while for me to update. hahahaha. actually, the jaebum  x jinyoung part in this story. i mean the story about jinyoung's past heartache is based from my personal experience lol ahhaahhaha yep, it happened to me few months ago.  :c i was like sharing my own thoughts and feelings in that part. hahahahahahaha nevertheless, i enjoyed writing this one!!! so yeah, stay safe! love y'all! ♥