-13

Way Back Home

warning; typos/un-edited

 

“Hey there, cutie!” Jackson whispered as he reached Bambam’s desk. The younger was scribbling some notes on Mark’s planner and encoding them right away. It was a very demanding week for the whole Tuan Corporation. The most awaited and anticipated resort renovation will start in less than 5 days. All of them were tensed yet hoping that this plan will be successful. Bam looked up with his eyes wide open. His mouth formed into an ‘o’ as his parted dry lips appeared really luscious for Jackson’s sight.  

Bambam began blinking his eyes for seconds with the same shocked expression.  “Mr.Wang! G-Good day!” He greeted, stuttering. It wasn’t a right deed to trip over basic salutations, but who wouldn’t feel a sudden attack of butterflies in their respective stomach after being called ‘cutie’ by one of the most droll-worthy guy in the block.  Of course, Bam has this little adoration for the elder ever since he entered the company almost 4 years ago. Jackson was always smiling and totally filled with humor; a thing that Bam highly considers when it comes to selecting people that he needs in his life.

 

Jackson let out a small grin. “Good day to you too, adorable little thing.” He said as he went closer to the desk and sitting on the edge of it with his body slightly twisted; enough to see the younger. Unexpectedly, he extended his hand and pinched Bam’s left cheek. Jackson’s fingers seemed to move in their own accord. There was this strange urge of making a light act towards the other. He felt the coldness and the tenderness of his cheeks and he’s pretty sure that he’ll do this often.

“M-Mr.Wang, i-it hurts!” Later did Jackson notice that he was too lost with all the sensation that he was getting at the moment. His grip on the boy’s cheek was getting too hard and it’s starting to form a red spot. He lets go of it, apologetically. But he loved how it turned out; cherry red and standing out from the light pink blush of his face. “I’m sorry, Bam!”  he stated while lifting himself up and facing the younger’s desk once again. “Is Mark inside?” he added.

With a nod, Bam gathered himself once again and answered. “Yes. He’s with Jinyoung hyung.” Addressing Jinyoung as his ‘hyung’ is a normal thing for Bam since it’s just Jackson that he was talking to. Jackson knows about the whole pretending stuff slash job anyway.  The elder scrunched his face and bobbed his head. He went further and was about to turn the knob but he took 3 steps backwards.

“Do you think it’s safe for me to come in?” He asked with his famous ‘if you know what I mean’ look.

 

Bam scratched his nape. “They’re not doing anything ual, I suppose.” Jackson was taken aback by the younger’s usage of words. It came out innocently and not even a dash of malice was there. “And besides, they’re not yet official. And another thing, I think Mark hyung will always prefer a large bed over a long black couch. “

“So it’s safe?” Jackson asked once again. “Yeah.” The other responded simply as he tried to focus on his work. After all, his world shouldn’t stop just because ‘the ever so glorious Jackson Wang’ pinched his cheek and gave him a couple of heart fluttering labels. Jackson beamed again and decided to knock on the door but after few seconds, he took 3 steps backwards again.

“Are you free tonight?”

“Are you asking me out, Mr. Wang?” Bam asked without even averting his sight from the computer monitor. He’s kinda sure that Jackson was starting to flirt with him; he’s confident enough to say that.

“I’ll see you at the lobby after work.” And he winked before finally entering Mark’s office.  

 

 

Jinyoung was tightly hugging Mark with his head buried on the elder’s shoulder. He never cared about his top if it’ll get wrinkled or what. All that matters at the exact moment was the comfort that Mark was able to give him; a type of relief that he’ll always yearn for. Mark on the other hand returns the warm hold that Jinyoung was doing. It feels great to have the love of his life in his arms. Things are starting to be complicated but Mark promised that whatever happens, he’ll never leave Jinyoung and his unconditional love for the boy will never fade.

Jinyoung looked up and saw Jackson standing near the door with a small smile visible on his lips. He made a small wave to greet the younger. He hated that he was there and he had to interrupt the precious moment, yet he’s pretty sure that Jinyoung would stop the skinship and prioritize Jackson’s intents.

 “Hey Jackson!” Jinyoung said as he pulled away from Mark.

"What a sweet couple we got here!" Jackson blurted out after earning an overly annoyed facial expression from his best friend. It’s completely obvious that Mark was somehow pissed. Jinyoung shyly smiled and went towards the couch to get his bag. "We’re not yet a couple, Jacks." he mumbled. "Anyway, I’ll go now! Tons of work to deal with today. See you around, guys!" And he marched towards the door. Jackson patted his back as he continued walking. He was about to turn the knob went Mark felt like there’s something missing. "Jinyoungie!" he called, quite loud.

The boy looked back with his same angelic smile. “Yeah?”

"I love you."

 

The smile on the younger’s face got wider as his heart began pumping faster than the usual. He left the area, leaving Mark and his friend inside. Mark sat on his chair as Jackson sat on a chair in front of his desk. “Wow dude! Thanks for ruining the moment! Mark sarcastically commented while taking a couple of files from the pile at the right side of his large table. 

The cold air from the air conditioner hit their skins. “Tell me honestly, do you really love him?” Jackson intrigued. The last time that they talked about Jinyoung was just a week ago; when the other got a mental breakdown from all the issues that he’s currently battling with. His friend shot him a weird look. “Seriously, Jackson!?” he asked. “How many times do I have to tell you that I really love him?! What’s so surreal about that?!”

"I just can’t believe that after years of never-ending flings, you’re finally in love with someone else and it’s a guy." Mark must agree. Back in L.A., he was engaged into some weird habit of flirting with random girls that he met in different clubs. It was not a big deal though that Mark already slept with them since it’s just or better be called as a one night stand; purely lust. Not even a single girl lasted for a month in Mark’s hands. Call him a player but that’s how his life goes when he’s still the typical high school student. Maybe time really does change people. Mark smiled all of a sudden. "I’ve never loved someone as much as I love him. I can’t imagine my life without Jinyoung." he stated.

 

Jackson shifted his position. He was happy for his friend and never in his life would he want to kill the vibrant vibe at the moment but he needs to say everything, once and for all. “What if your family discovers Jinyoung’s true identity and everything behind this sick pretending thingy? Can you fight for him?” It’s not an essential to talk about it but Jackson wants to hear it straight from his friend so if ever there’s a problem, he could help in the best way that he can. 

Mark locked gazes with Jackson. His heart sunk. Surely, he’s more than willing to fight for Jinyoung because in the first place, he’s innocent. Everything is Mark’s plan and he should be the one receiving all the blame. Sometimes it’s inevitable to think about the ‘what ifs’ of their situation. Jinyoung got deeply attached to the entire family and even with the company people. Parting with them will surely crush his heart. But then again, he can’t hold his family’s emotions. Mark can never tell them what feel and say. Although Jinyoung is just an instrument in the crime, he can’t escape the hate that he’ll get.

 

"That’s the issue, Jacks. Jinyoung was really bothered this morning. I talked to him earlier and asked him if he’s okay." Mark paused. His heart seemed to stop as he tried to trace all the words that Jinyoung mouthed hours ago. His friend was greatly anticipating his upcoming statements. This thing is starting to get serious.

Mark made a sharp inhale, tossed all the papers on the side and run his palms on his face. “He said that he can’t continue this anymore. His conscience was bugging him frequently that he can’t sleep properly for the past weeks. The love that he developed for us, Tuans, intensifies everyday and he’s scared that one day the strong bond between him and my family have to end in a very heart-breaking manner. I feel bad for him especially when I saw how he cried earlier, saying that he’s close to giving up. Jinyoung is a strong man, and seeing how his strong image was being flushed away by this ty agreement kills me inside.”

"I knew that Jinyoung would say that. He’s a good guy and he can never do such things; fooling, pretending and other immoral stuff. On the brighter side, you’re lucky. You got the right man. The way he hugged you, I can see that he loves you so much."

Just like how Jackson said it, Jinyoung is just too nice to do such wrong deeds but since he has no choice before, he accepted the offer for the safety of his brother and for the last land of their family. And yes, he’s utterly lucky to have Jinyoung. He’s truly a blessing not just to Mark but to the entire company and Tuan family. “I promised that I’ll fix all the damages first then I’ll let him live as Park Jinyoung again.”

Jackson snapped back to the darker side of reality. “You mean you’re going to reveal that you planned everything? Come on, Mark! Can you imagine you family’s reaction?!”

"I’m willing to accept all their words. Its all my fault anyway. After the resort renovation, I’ll tell them the truth."

"Well, good luck on that. Just in case your dad kicks you out of the house, my condominium is always open for you." And they both chuckled. Behind those laughs lies a stripe of anxiety. Jackson was scared for his friend while Mark, for Jinyoung of course. "Thanks dude."

"No worries." He replied. Jackson took his phone and scanned through the texts that he got. He stood up and walked towards the door. "Gotta go! Meeting with the advertising agencies in few minutes." he announced happily. What Mark likes about his best bud was the fact that he keeps on taking everything lightly yet it turns out to be impressive. "Dude!" Mark called before Jackson exits.

"What?"

"Take care of Bam or else I’ll burn your snapback collection."

Jackson smirked. “Sure thing.”

 

 

3 days before the resort renovation and Jinyoung was making another sample of a plant layout for a new hotel that the Tuans are planning to construct in the next 2 years. Most probably, the new president of the Tuan Corporation will be the one handling this. He glanced at the floor of his room and saw the scattered crumpled tracing papers lying on the cold ground. He’s been consumed with unhealthy thoughts and he can’t concentrate. Lines were never straight, curves were not perfectly done and his ideas are simply mediocre and old. Nothing seemed to be right. Well yes, everything’s wrong.

Mark was busy that day. He had a meeting with the engineering department so there’s no way he can make time for Jinyoung. And as far as he’s concerned, Mark is not yet home. Apparently, a low knock broke the silence inside his room. “Come in.” And the door creaked as their grandfather entered.

 

"Hi Jinyoung." He greeted. The old man noticed all the mess in Jinyoung’s room. "What’s with all these papers? What a waste!" he exclaimed, laughing as he glanced at the boy. Jinyoung was trembling. He was at the verge of saying the truth. He can’t take it anymore. "Grandpa, I have to tell you something." he blurted out with his low, shaky voice. He took a deep breath. It’s now or never. He needs his old life back; the peaceful one away from these people. Away from the people that he valued too much. "What is it?" the other replied calmly.

Jinyoung gulped. He opened his mouth and hoped that we’ll utter the right words. But how about Mark and his plans? After all, Jinyoung will try to make everything look like it’s all his fault. He’s desperate to sacrifice his own sake for Mark. He’s willing to stain his own name for Mark. He can digest it when this family might push him away but if they push Mark away, he’s not sure if he can forgive himself. “I am not—-“


“You are not a real Tuan, right?”

 

Ken suddenly came in with a couple of folders on hand and with Mark’s parents behind him. Ken was smirking at him as he felt so weak inside. Jinyoung wasn’t able to react immediately and it took him seconds to finally realize that it’s all over. His chest became heavy. “I… I can explain!” he protested while standing and walking towards Mark’s parents.

Ken butted in. “You accepted the offer of pretending to be the lost Jethro Tuan because you wanted money! You’re greedy! ”

His father was really disappointed and angry based on how Jinyoung observed his image. “We trusted you, Jinyoung!” he shouted and his wife calmed her down. That’s the point when the younger started feeling his tears running down. He tried so hard not to cry because he doesn’t want to look too defeated at all. “We treated you like a real son! You took advantage of our longing. How could you sleep at night knowing that you’ve completely fooled each and every one of us for almost 6 months? We gave you everything!”

All the pain was sharp enough to pierce his heart for a hundred times. He felt numb. It’s like being hated by his real family. So much pain. In between his heavy heart and unstoppable tears, he still managed to find the right words. But Ken interrupted him again. “It’s all Mark’s plan!” Ken announces, looking at their grandfather who was wearing a blank expression. “Can you imagine that your own grandson played an ill game with all of us? Would you let him do the same with the company?! He’s out if his mind!”

 

"Stop it! " Jinyoung shouted, leaving them all in great shock. Jinyoung never shout in front of them, just now. "It not Mark’s plan!" he said with more tears falling down. No, he can’t let Mark down. Jinyoung would rather intake all the hate and blame even if that means changing the whole story. "I suggested everything. I volunteered because I need money to claim my brother and to save our last land in Jinhae." he explained and Mrs. Tuan’s eyes watered as well.

Turmoil for emotions was felt inside the room. “I learned to love the people around me, here and in the company. It wasn’t easy for me to do this. You all are good people and it bothers me a lot that I have to fool each and every one of you. But I have to do it! I have no choice. It wasn’t about the money now. It’s about cherishing my new home. A home that I found within this family.” he added as his heart seemed to totally break.

"Liar! How long are you still willing to fool us? When you’re already rich with all the money that you stole from us?!" Ken uttered which intensified Jinyoung’s emotions. It was all lies and he shouldn’t be affected but he just can’t help it. Things are starting to get worse and he’s losing it. Well, he can never win this after all. "From now on, you’re no longer allowed to stay here and work in the company! We don’t need pretenders in our family! Get out!" Mr. Tuan said out of extreme fury. The couple walked out of the room, leaving Jinyoung with Ken and their grandfather.

The old man sadly looked at Jinyoung then he immediately went out of the room. “The door of the Tuan residence is widely open. Feel free to leave, thief.” Ken ended with his signature mocking voice and intimidating smirk. He won. He obviously won. Jinyoung wasn’t able to speak more. His heart breaks after each passing second. His face was wet and he can rarely see his surroundings. I guess this is where everything ends. He signed.

 

 

Mark arrived at home with his entire family waiting for him at the living area. 4 pairs of eyes were completely judging him. He was clueless yet he’s starting to feel nervous. “Hey.” he greeted. His father stood up and trudged towards Mark. “How can you do this to us, Mark?!” he asked.

At that point, Mark understood everything. His family already discovered his secret. “I did it because I want to make grandpa happy. Please believe me! I don’t have any bad intentions!” he defended himself.

"Is it true that all of it was Jinyoung’s plan?" Mrs. Tuan asked, curious.

 

Mark widens his eyes. He scanned the scene and yes, Jinyoung wasn’t there anymore. He trembled and definitely about to cry. He can’t let Jinyoung go. “No! I asked Jinyoung to pretend as my brother. He worked for me but I swear, he treated us all like his real family. Jinyoung and his brother lost their parents long time ago, he did everything to support their living. He felt so abandoned and miserable but when he met us, his life changed. Not because of our money or by his position in the company but he found a new family in us!” and Mr. Tuan found himself in a state where he questions himself. Maybe it was a wrong move to shade the younger’s life. He’s guilty; really guilty. His grandfather was just quietly sitting next to Ken. “Please don’t hate him! Hate me instead. It’s all my fault.” he added.

"It’s too late, Mark. He already left. You should’ve thought about this first before you plotted all these trouble." Ken advised and Mark just wanted to flip the table and let it land on Ken’s face. He’s so mad and he’s sure that the entire revelation is Ken’s plan. Mark was mentally cursing him. That’s the only thing that he can do.

Mark chose to stay silent and keep it all in. He took his phone and went out of the house. With shaking fingers, Mark dialled his number, hoping that he can bring the boy back. It started with a couple of rings. He was starting to feel hopeless. He loves Jinyoung so much and he can’t let the boy to break again. He promised that. Jinyoung must be really hurt right now and that pains Mark even more. Mark cried. His tears fell down like waterfall. Jinyoung, pick it up. I’m begging! His longing came to an end as a voice from the other line was heard.

 “Mark…”

"Jinyoung! Are you okay!? Where are you? I’ll pick you up! Let’s talk about this. Nyoung, please! Don’t leave us like this! Don’t leave me like this!"

"Mark, your family hates me. I don’t want them to hate you as well. Please tell your grandpa to always drink his medicines. Tell your parents to always be happy. Thank you for all your help. Thank you for loving me. Thank you so much. But I’m sorry, we have to end everything between us."

"What are you saying?! Why do we have to end everything? I don’t understand! I love you and even though you’re not saying it, I know you love me too! Why are you doing this –" Mark responded, realizing that he’s crying too much.

Jinyoung sniffed. “Just forget about me. Again, I’m sorry for causing too much trouble. Goodbye.”

 


And the call ended.

 

 

 

 

an: hi guys :---) sorry for the late update. im not quite in the mood to write for the past days since my schedule was really jammed and all. for short, i'm always tired hahahahahahhahaha. so yeah, light angst here. hahahaha. im feeling angsty for the past days so..tadaaaaah! hahahaha. leave your comments, suggestions, questions and insights below! :)) thanks guys! stay safe! love y'all ♥☺