-28

Way Back Home

A faint knock was heard inside the empty architecture and design quarters. Normally, Jinyoung would lift himself up from his chair and head towards the door to open it since he’s the only person inside. But now, he was too occupied by all the work that he didn’t even heard the continuous banging sound. The door slowly opened without him noticing. He heard that it locked afterwards and light footsteps echoes inside the cold room. His eyes were focused on the structure outline that he was making and it seemed like no one can pull his attention away from it. “In case you’re not aware, it’s already your break time.” a voice said. Jinyoung was about to conclude that it was just a junior architect who’s constantly reminding him about his breaks but being a clever man he is, he recognized the owner of the deep, husky yet calming voice right away. 

All of a sudden, a tall glass of store-bought green tea latte was placed on the upper right part of his table; just few inches away from his papers. It was followed by the crinkling sound of plastic wrap as a pack of chewy chocolate biscuits landed on the side of the beverage. A hand run along his shoulders and a very familiar guy sat on the chair beside him. Jinyoung must admit that he’s greatly touched by the deed, but he can’t be distracted at the moment; he’s currently working on the most complicated part of his craft. It’s all about focus, for now.

Mark moved closer. He pulled the chair nearer to Jinyoung and sat sideways; completely facing the younger who’s facing front. He loves to see his lover in this kind of state, when he’s too serious and concentrated. Oddly, a part of him hurts because he can’t get the attention that he’s craving for. He wrapped an arm around Jinyoung’s waist and observed how the man draws perfect straight lines using his fine pen. “Hey! I’m here.” Mark whispered and Jinyoung just hummed in reply.

“Why is my Jinyoungie ignoring his Markie?” Mark asked using a cute voice as he rested his chin on top of Jinyoung’s right shoulder. It was still inappropriate to do that for it may affect Jinyoung’s grip and handwriting but Mark can’t think of a better way to get his attention. The younger remained silent and tried to adjust his arm with the pressure that Mark gave. The elder noticed how Jinyoung coped with it so he tried a better stint. He carefully brushed his nose on Jinyoung’s neck and held him tighter by the waist. “Baby~” Mark whined. Jinyoung can’t be moved and the struggle is getting realer after every try.  Lastly, he placed his head on top of Jinyoung’s forearm and looked up with an extremely adorable expression. “Notice me, baby!” he said.

Jinyoung was still emotionless and quiet. Few more lines, Park Jinyoung! Few more lines and you’re done! He said to himself as he controlled his feels regarding the cringe-worthy things that Mark was doing. He was not reacting but he loves it. All of it. Mark stared right into Jinyoung’s eyes and admired the splendor before him. It was indeed a jaw dropping, heart stopping and bone melting sight. He can’t wish for more.

 

Making the last line, Jinyoung seriously held his pen and started making it. Mark was feeling hopeless yet he stayed at his current spot since Jinyoung isn’t complaining at all. Once Jinyoung was done, he finally glanced at Mark. He swore to the heavens up above, Mark’s eyes glistened upon the eye contact. His lips were pouted and his hair was messy. Surprisingly, Jinyoung lowered his head and planted a deep kiss on Mark’s needy lips.

“You should’ve brought egg tarts.” Jinyoung said after pulling his lips away. He pushed his things aside and took the pack of biscuits. Mark stood up and beamed. “Wait for me! I’ll buy you some.” He said in a hurry as he tried to move away from his position. Jinyoung held his hand and pulled him back on his chair. “I’m just kidding.” Said the younger as he kept the closeness between them. His lover leaned closer to him and rested his head on the other’s shoulder. Jinyoung made a bite on a soft biscuit. “Have you eaten?”

Mark nodded as he run a finger along Jinyoung’s free palm. He was enjoying the closeness and the warmth that the both of them shares; it’s perfect. He s his arms around the man’s body as he made light kisses on his neck. “Mark, we’re at work!” Jinyoung said, moving a bit away.

“But it’s your break time! No one will come in. And if you’re worrying about the door, don’t you worry, I locked it.” Mark declared and beamed before kissing Jinyoung’s plump and flushed cheeks. “It’s my department’s break time. You better go back to your office and do some work.” Jinyoung suggested, ruffling Mark’s hair in a very loving manner. His man frowned. “But I—“

 

All of a sudden, his phone rang. Mark picked it up lazily and read the message. “I bet that’s Bam, telling you to head back to your workplace.” The younger made a swift gulp of his drink before taking another bite on his snack. Mark rolled his eyes and sighed. “By the way, are you free tonight?” Mark questioned, his hands on top of Jinyoung’s thigh.

The younger pouted. “It depends on who’s asking.” Then he raised his eyebrows.

“Park Jinyoung, I’m serious.”

Chuckling, Jinyoung struggled to reply. “Fine!  I don’t have anything to do. Why?”

Mark smiled. “Since it’s mom’s birthday today, we’ll be having a small dinner at home. I want you to be there and you can spend the night there as well. We don’t have work tomorrow because of the holiday, remember?” he spoke and waited for Jinyoung to reply.

“I will surely be present on the dinner but I don’t think it’s a good idea for me to stay there until the next morning.” He nervously concluded as he stared at the plain view before him. He thought of the possibilities, negativities and risks. Who doesn’t want to have more time with his Mark but there’s always a huge ‘what if’. “What!? Why?” Mark intrigued, voice quite louder than the usual.

Jinyoung scratched his back and shifted his position to fully face the elder. “Jaebum.” He mumbled. “He might doubt again or something.” After knowing the news about Jaebum’s inquiries regarding his closeness with Mark, Jinyoung became extra careful with his actions and words. He can’t let everything unfold before them. It’s still under their control and as of now, they all have to hold it in.

Mark’s mind went blank. “Why can’t we just tell him the truth? Sooner, he will know it anyway! Jinyoung, let’s not make everything more complicated. It’s for his own good after all.”

“We’ve agreed to tell him everything when the right time comes, right? I can see that he’s still affected by the rejection that he experienced. It takes a lot of time and willingness to move on. I’ve been there too; I know how hard it is. Mark, please understand your brother. Jaebum is still in pain and revealing our secrets in a blink of an eye won’t make things a lot easier for him, for us.” Jinyoung explained as he intertwined his fingers with Mark’s. It was true that sooner or later, Jaebum will know all that they’ve been through. But there’s always a perfect timing for everything, right?

Not fully understanding Jinyoung, Mark still nodded. Maybe Jinyoung knows more when it comes to matters like this, so he just believed the man and his plans. “Okay. I got it.” he replied with a subtle beam. Jinyoung smiled back. “You should go now! I’ll see you around.” Jinyoung cupped Mark’s cheeks and kissed his forehead gently.  Mark stood up and bid goodbye before entirely leaving the room.

 

 

“As far as I can remember, I’m done with signing all the papers that the Yeun Lands and Enterprises sent.” Mark annoyingly said as he walked inside his office. Bam followed, carrying some folders on his thin arms. His boss sat on his chair and frowned. “I’m spending time with my man downstairs, just in case you don’t know.” He added and stubbornly took a folder that his assistant placed on his table.   

Bam was truly apologetic; he looked down knowing that his boss was really irritated by his abrupt call. But he can’t let this issue pass before him. As Mark played with the edge of the hard folder, Bam cleared his throat and tried to talk. “I’m so sorry but you have to study all these, sir.” He answered, passing another folder to Mark. The CEO took it and flipped the first few pages. “What should I do with these?” Mark firmly asked, not trying to spend time in scanning all the numerals and letters written.

“That’s the full list of our company’s transactions and expenses for the past 9 years.” Bam said, sitting on a chair in front of his boss.

Mark looked at him. “9 years?! Bam, these transactions were done way back when I’m still in high school! Why do I have to read it? And in fact, the audit, accounting and the finance department does a regular updated list of our dealings and trades.” he closed the folders and handed them back to the boy but Bam was determined, he pushed the folder back and placed it before Mark.

“Here are the lists that those departments passed. They were checked and signed by your grandfather. You even signed some of the papers that they recently passed.” He gave another folder and Mark saw his sign. “So?” he asked, quite calmed down now.  His assistant sighed and flipped all the folders open. “Compare and see the difference.”

Mark silently followed his assistant. Looking at the words and numbers written in the papers, Mark instantly noticed something. There’s a huge difference in every column. He furrowed his brows as his heart pumped fast. “They’re not matched. Where did you got this? Are you sure that this is true?”

“I accidentally printed a wrong file at the audit department and that came out. I looked closely and tried to look for more files. They’re all hidden but I found them. I printed them all.” Bam proudly proclaimed. Mark was startled. “And here’s the official status of our company’s bank account. You can see the huge loss, but if you check the list of transactions and made a serious analysis, all the expenses were too small compared to the lost amount.” Bam gave him a small passbook and Mark snatched it rapidly. He looked closely and sees how the numbers differ. This can’t be.

“Someone’s making illegal transactions and steals money from the company’s fund.” He concluded angrily. His fists clenched and his blood begun to boil. As the currently acting CEO, he needs to take immediate action to this. He needs to find out the person or the people behind this unsuitable behavior Bam nodded. “Exactly.”

“We need to make further investigations about this. But Bam, let’s just keep this between the both us for now. I mean, dad’s too busy with taking care of grandpa. I don’t want to add more stress in their lives. ” Mark begged and luckily his assistant agreed.

“You can count on me, Sir.”

 

 

 

That night, Mark, Jinyoung and Jaebum arrived at the Tuan residence after a long, tiring day at work. As usual, the brothers head up to their rooms to change while Jinyoung went straight to the kitchen and greeted Mrs. Tuan. “Happy birthday, Mrs. Tuan!” he said and hugged the lady. Mrs. Tuan hugged him back. “Thank you so much Jinyoungie! I’m so happy that you’re here!” she said, pulling out from the hold and pinching Jinyoung’s cheek. Neither did they know that Jaebum was looking from a far. Before, he’s completely enjoying the closeness between his mother and Jinyoung. Now, it felt different; like there’s something that only the both of them know. It’s weird but Jaebum can’t settle with the previous answers regarding Mark and Jinyoung’s genuine connections.

The family gathered around the table and sat on their respective chairs. Jinyoung sat beside Mark while Jaebum sat across them as he observed every movement. After a short greeting, they decided to eat. Mark, being a naturally caring person he is, took some of the food and placed them on Jinyoung’s plate. He did it over and over again. In short, he was serving his boyfriend. Jaebum watched them with a jealous heart. “H-Hyung…” he called and Mark looked at him. “Yes?” he asked with a smile.

“Jinyoung can get food for himself. There’s no need for you to serve him.”

Mark and the rest of the family were taken aback. Jinyoung sat there with a frozen expression. He doesn’t understand Jaebum’s sudden stuffiness. Mark let go of the serving spoon and glanced at Jinyoung, asking for an approval. Jinyoung nodded and held Mark’s free hand underneath the table.  “I’m sorry, Jae-ah. Some dishes are far from me so I asked Mark to get me some.”  Jinyoung explained which led to a total silence.

“Where’s the cake? I want to see the cake!” consistently being a savior, their grandpa said it to clear the awkward silence. Mrs. Tuan added more spice in the conversation as they all try to ease the discomfort within the area. Jinyoung soon joined the discussions, even Mark did the same.  They all had fun, except for Jaebum who would rarely move a muscle and talk. The dinner ended and Mark volunteered to wash the plates. Jinyoung was staying in the living room and played with their dog, Melon.

 

The peaceful aura in the kitchen was bugged when someone stepped in. “Hyung! Can I borrow some of the documents that we used in the resort renovation? I just need to copy the flow of construction for our upcoming deal.” Jaebum asked as he stood behind his brother. Mark tried to recall its place for a short while. He turned around and faced his brother. “There’s a box underneath my study table. Just find it there.” Mark replied casually. Jaebum nodded and went out of the area.

Jaebum entered Mark’s room. It’s dark and cold since he left the air conditioner on. After tuning the lights on, he immediately looked for the box that his brother said. Sitting in front of the desk, he saw two boxes of the same size below; one has a blue cover and the other has black. Not wanting to go down and ask his brother once more, Jaebum tried his luck and took out the box that has a blue cover. He sat on top of Mark’s bed as he opened the container. There were few envelopes neatly arranged and some more folders. Jaebum pulled one and flipped through its pages. He thought that he picked the right folder but unfortunately, the written words were way too different. It’s something that dragged him down into a pit of questions and confusion.

 

There were papers with ‘Jinyoung Tuan’ and ‘Jethro Tuan’ encoded into it. He can see some legal documents like birth certificates, passport documents, office clearance and more identification papers. He even saw a DNA Test result, saying that Park Jinyoung is matched with Mr. Tuan’s DNA. It was dated 2 years ago and was signed by Mark himself. Jaebum’s hand trembled in shock. He can’t understand everything. Lastly, he saw a candid picture of Jinyoung and Mark in which Mark looks at Jinyoung like he’s the only person present in his world. It gave him a different feel. His heart got filled with queries and anger. What are they hiding from me?!

 

 

“Nyoung! Spend the night here, please?” Mark begged as he sat behind his lover and nuzzled onto his nape. Jinyoung giggled and reached for Mark’s hands. “I have to go home now, Mark. It’s getting late.” Said Jinyoung while allowing their dog to sleep on his lap. A low whine was heard and Mark back hugged Jinyoung like they’re the only people inside. It made Jinyoung feel nice but it made him feel anxious as well. He struggled out a little. “J-Jaebum might see us!” the younger whispered.

Mark ignored his plea rapidly kissed Jinyoung’s blushing cheek. “He’s upstairs, doing some stuff.” And he kissed Jinyoung once more, now it’s on his shoulder.

 

“Hyung?! Jinyoung?!”

 

A loud voice made their eyes shot wide. Jinyoung breathed heavily as he pulled his own body away from Mark. He looked behind them and saw his best friend, staring at them with a much wrecked expression. Tears were forming around his eyelids and his body was shaking in despair.  Jinyoung’s brain went blank yet he hoped that he can hold everything properly. “J-Jaebum-ah” Jinyoung mumbled as he stood up, trying to drag himself towards his pal.

“What are you two – Why do you—” Jaebum’s voice was unstable. It was obvious that he was out of words, that he lost the things that he was supposed to say. He let go of a bunch of papers on his hand. Jinyoung picked them up. He read it with all his might and realized that Jaebum just found out the biggest secret that they’ve been hiding for too long. Jinyoung looked up as fear crept over his heart. The sight of Jaebum crying was just too much. It was somehow intolerable.

“L-Let me explain!”  Jinyoung said, worried.

Jaebum shouted.  “You better do it!” With that, his parents rushed down and saw the confrontation. Jinyoung felt weak in an instant. He can’t find the right words to make his best friend understand everything that he went through. “Answer me, Jinyoung!” Jaebum added.

 

“Stop it, Jaebum!” Mark suddenly yelled. He walked towards their direction and pulled Jinyoung behind him. He faced his brother with a stiff expression. “You want to know the truth?” he aggressively asked. Jaebum remained silent. “We’re in a relationship!” Mark added.

And that was enough to send Jaebum to his edge. He threw a strong punch that landed on his brother’s lower lip, making a small bleeding cut. Mark was hurt but he didn’t plan to get back. Pain was seen all over Jaebum’s face and he doesn’t want to add more.  His younger brother stormed to his room with a heavy heart. At the end, they’re all to blame.

 

Jaebum locked the door and cried at the corner of his room. He felt so bad. It felt like the entire world betrayed him. He thought that meeting his real family would make his life better but as of now, he realized that it didn’t. His heart shattered like a mirror and his bones crushed in a blink of an eye. Numb is an understatement. The pain was too much yet some questions remained unattended.  They still float in his brain which caused more turmoil and hatred. In a split second, he loathed everybody; including himself.

 

The door opened. “Leave me alone!” He shouted, not even spending a time to see the person who’s about to comfort him.

“I can’t.” a familiar voice said. He knew it right away. It was Jinyoung. As Jinyoung went closer to him, he can’t help but to cry harder. He can’t fully understand why Jinyoung likes to hurt him. This is going to be the fourth time that Jinyoung would be pushing him off into a deep, baseless sea.  He wanted to hurt Jinyoung, to get back and get even, but his heart speaks the opposite. He can never hurt the person that he loves. He’d rather receive all the pain instead of seeing Jinyoung suffer.

Jinyoung sat beside him. “I know you’re mad and I can’t call you out for that. You have all the right to hate me, Jaebum. I will accept your words and actions but please, let me explain.”

“What are you doing to say now? That you just followed your heart? That you kept everything for my sake? Come on, Jinyoung! I’m no longer a kid! I have my own brain and I can understand things just like how a normal adult does. Just…Just leave me alone!”

 

Jinyoung sighed. “2 years ago, I met Mark while I running away from Mrs. Jang’s workers. During that time, Mrs. Jang was already desperate to get our last land in Jinhae and keep Youngjae as a permanent worker in her farm. Mark helped me pay our debts but I have to work for him in return.” Jaebum listened carefully yet his feelings stayed the same. Jinyoung looked at him and went further. “I pretended to be his lost brother to make grandpa happy. I abandoned my own life and lived the life of Jethro Tuan for a couple of months. I worked in the company, I stayed here and they all treated me as a real Tuan. I found a new family within these people. I’m really thankful. Mark even sent Youngjae to college and they get along well.”

Jaebum stopped crying for a while. After hearing those words, he realized all the hardships that he’s friend went through. “And you fell in love with him… There are billions of people around the world yet your heart chose my brother.” Jaebum mumbled looking at the plain wall with a tear rolling down his eye. Jinyoung nodded. “Your brother is a very nice person just like you. It’s impossible not to fall for him. He knows everything about our past. We got official after the Tuans found out the truth. At first, the relationship went well. But due to certain circumstances, it got rocky.”

“So he’s the person that you left when we went to Japan?”

“Yes. That’s him. I left him during the time that he needed me the most.  I was greatly surprised when you told me that you’re the lost son. I don’t know what to feel but honestly, I’m happy because you found your real family. Working back in the company and keeping my real feelings were just the hardest things to do. Memories kept on coming back. Many things happened and finally, we got back together.”

“Why did you all keep it from me?”

Jinyoung held his hand and smiled. “We are looking for the right time, Jaebum. We’re very sorry.” He said and without any word, he pulled his best friend into a tight hug, Jaebum hugged him back because he knew that it was the right thing to do. He can’t erase the fact that he’s hurt but it eventually lessens after knowing the real story. The door opened and Mark walked in, holding an ice pack and pressing it on his lip. “I’m sorry.” The elder apologized.

Jaebum stood up and embraced his brother. “It’s my fault. I’m so sorry, hyung.” He mumbled and Mark rubbed his back. “Don’t you ever doubt about our love for you, Jaebum. We love you so much. Please understand our side as well. We’re not forcing you to accept everything instantly. Take all the time that you need. We’re always here for you.” Mark replied as he gently comforted his brother.

As the younger Tuan escaped from the hug, he smiled and patted his brother’s shoulder. “Thank you, Mark hyung. Promise me that you’re not going to hurt Jinyoung or else –”

Mark chuckled and raised his right hand. “I promise! I promise!” and Jaebum beamed in return. Maybe this is where his life will finally start. A life where he will no longer see Jinyoung as his. A life where he has to support his brother and his best friend’s relationship. Life doesn’t stop for anyone. If you lost something good at the middle of walking, never look back and search for it. Keep going further because you might find something better.

 

“Hyung, maybe I should spend few days in Ilsan. I just need to clear my mind and do some serious thinking. Would you let me take a leave in the company?” Jaebum asked as he sat on the bed. Jinyoung stood up and went beside Mark.  “Of course! I’ll tell Mr. Kang to take your place for a while. Don’t worry.”

“Thank you, hyung.”

 

Mark and Jinyoung were about to leave the room but Mark’s phone rang. He picked it from his pocket and answered the call. “Hello Bam?” Mark said. He was silent at first but a very serious ‘what?’ followed. Jaebum and Jinyoung looked at each other. They knew that something’s not right. Mark ended the call with a very puzzled expression. “What did he said?” Jaebum asked.

Taking a deep inhale, Mark talked. “Did you guys noticed something different with Auntie Yewon and Ken for the past days?”

Jinyoung scratched his arm lightly. “Aside from being totally grumpy and annoying, they’re always busy! It’s quite unusual because they’re known for procrastinating everything and passing all their tasks to the lower ranks. But it seems like they’re working on something important recently.”

“Bam and I found out that a huge amount of money is missing from our bank account. Even the past and current transactions are not tallied with the legitimate list.” Mark protested.  I’m taking my words back, hyung. I’m not going to Ilsan. We have to investigate about this.” Jaebum offered as his brother nodded. Not that they’re jumping into conclusions, but this thing has to be solved before it gets worse.

 

Jinyoung sighed as a light hint of fear swallowed a chip of his heart. Why do I sense that something disastrous will happen?!

 

 

 

 

an; heyyyy!! it took me a week to update...again. hahahahaha i'll try to update this weekend if my schedule isnt going to be hectic hehe. so yeahhhh, feel free to leave your comments, insights and feels below! they're very much appreciated!!! till next time~~ stay safe! love y'all! ☺♥