-25

Way Back Home

typos / long chapter 

 

Dealing with a huge amount of work wasn’t new for Jinyoung. After the successful partnership with the prestigious foreign company, more investors from different parts of the globe decided to file their business proposals to the Tuans. Mark, being the currently acting CEO of the company, was in charge of taking all the needed calls, meetings and other business matters. Jinyoung still does his part; he leads his team and motivates them to work hand in hand in order to meet deadlines and meticulously pointed details that their customers demand. With the combined hard work from all the departments, they always come up with the best outputs and result, which left their resident partners in awe. Truly, the Tuan Corporation becomes a little more successful after each and every day.

Jinyoung was heading out for lunch during a scorching Wednesday afternoon. He asked Jaebum to join him, but the guy declined since he has to attend a very important meeting with the newly hired engineers. Jinyoung was all alone and it wasn’t a big deal at all, he’s used to it. He was about to enter the elevator when someone from his back called him loudly. “Jinyoung!”

He turned around swiftly and caught a glimpse of the man’s ever so alluring image. “Yes Mr.Tuan?” Jinyoung asked as he decided to step back from his current spot. The elevator door opened yet he chose not to head in. It would really be an inappropriate deed to ignore the CEO’s call. Mark was just standing few inches away from him, still looking at him with his signature tantalizing stare. Jinyoung calmly faced the elder, hoping that their upcoming conversation will not be as cold as how they usually do. 

“Let’s talk in my office.” Mark said, emotionless as always. He turned back and started walking while Jinyoung followed along. 

 

 

Whenever Mark asks Jinyoung to proceed to his office, the younger can’t help but to feel nervous. Despite the fact that he’s starting to get comfortable around Mark, his heart still runs wild every now and then.  As the both of them stepped in the tranquil room, Mark went straight to his table. He sat on his chair without moving a single muscle in his face. “I need the new floor plans and interior proposals for the Song Group of Companies and the revised versions of the 3D presentation requested by the J.P. Incorporated.”

Jinyoung widens his eyes. “When do you need them?” He asked nervously, knowing that the department that he was holding will be submerged in a sea of endless paperwork and plates. Mark took a bunch of papers from his side drawer and tossed it on his desk. Jinyoung slowly walked towards the table to pick them up. “What day is it today?” He asked nonchalantly. Jinyoung looked up as he seriously recalled the current date. “Wednesday.” He replied as he took the papers off the table and securely hugged them in his chest.  The things went smooth, Mark was still quietly thinking and Jinyoung was just waiting for Mark’s reply then he’s finally out go get something to eat before dumping his whole crew into a truckload of work.

With a low hum, the elder looked back at Jinyoung. “I need all of those on Friday morning.”

And with that, Jinyoung almost lost all the strength in his body. His brain went blank and he asked himself if he just heard the right words. “P-Pardon?” Jinyoung demanded with his face all scrunched up.  Mark raised a brow and rolled his eyes. Still having an extremely intimidating expression, he managed to reply. “I need them on Friday morning. This coming Friday. I hope I made everything clear. I’m very strict with deadlines, you know me Mr. Park.”

Jinyoung broke his silence. “Are you serious? These tasks are too much! I know that this is a team effort but these can never be done in two days!” Raising his voice a bit higher, Jinyoung immediately caught Mark’s attention. His boss shot him a piercing glance. “Then seize every second! It’s no longer my problem, Mr. Park.  You’re the department head, remember?” He mocked as the placed his legs on top of his desk and comfortably lied back on his leather chair.

It’s getting worse. Jinyoung said to himself as he angrily watched Mark from a short distance. Mark was not like this before but he’s acting quite colder and weirder every passing day, not to mention, a little more ruder to Jinyoung. “And I’m speaking up in behalf of my entire team! Mr. Tuan, we can’t rush all these to make sure that they’ll be passed on time! The quality of our work will be greatly affected. All I’m asking is to extend the deadline and we’ll give the best results that we can do.” Jinyoung declared as his heart started to ignite with great anxiety. He’s scared not just for the outcomes, but for the entire team as well. He’s afraid that the architects and designers might get sick and stressed because of the workload.

“Are you complaining, Park Jinyoung?!”

Mark stood up from his seat and used a voice that he rarely uses, a loud and arrogant one. Jinyoung felt so small standing in front of Mark. He remembered the first time that he got into an argument with Mark. That night when he came home late from a lunch with Jaebum, and that’s almost 2 years ago. His body trembled yet in made him feel more determined. “Yes! I am complaining! This is not right!” He fired back.

“Then leave! That’s what you’re good at, right? Leaving people behind from your own good.”

 

For a few seconds, Jinyoung can feel his whole body went numb. He was never expecting those words from Mark. He never thought that a heated conversation about work and deadlines would result into something personal. Pain, misperception and fear. All the bad memories flooded up and consumed his mind right away. He tried to sweep those thoughts away to keep his mind straight to his job, but this sudden burst out of emotions made him feel bad once again. He stayed silent, speechless.

Mark bit his lips and clenched his fist. “If you’re tired of your work here, then go! But have you ever thought about the person or the people that you’ll be leaving? How they would feel after keeping him hanging?!” Mark spoke once more, now engulfed by the intense hatred that he was hiding in his heart for too long. He wanted to cry but have to hold it in. “Well, I can’t stop you if you’re going away. You can do whatever you want. I’m tired of begging for people to stay.” Mark said, sitting back on his chair and ignoring Jinyoung’s troubled stares.

 

Jinyoung gulped, finding the most appropriate words to say. “I know I left you before without any word, and I acknowledge my mistake.  But you’re not the only one who’s greatly affected by it! I did it for Youngjae. If I didn’t work in Japan, most probably he’s just at home and crying on the truth that he can’t go back and continue his studies. You can’t understand me because you’re rich! You don’t know the struggles of being a person from the slums.” He breathlessly replied as he watched how Mark listened to him. The other was sitting on his chair again and looking at him with no soul present on his eyes. ”I’m not expecting for your forgiveness but please, try to understand me.” He added, hurting more.

“Understand? Understand what? It made me question if you’re really true to your words and deeds before. Are you just showing off? Riding onto people’s perceptions and making them believe in you? Because if you’re really holding onto what you really want, you’ll never hesitate to stay. And now you’ll come back like nothing happened in the past?!” Mark responded.

Jinyoung told himself to be strong enough for this but he realized that he can’t. “Mark, I’m here to work, to help and to provide my service in this company. I’m trying so hard to put all our issues aside so stop bringing them up!”

The elder tilted his head and chuckled in a very annoying way. “I’m talking about work, Mr. Park. You’re the only one who’s relating everything with your life experiences. Honestly, I no longer care about you and your past problems. You’re here to work and we don’t give out salaries in exchange of drama.” Mark heartlessly muttered. Jinyoung controlled himself so much although the words cut down deep in his soul. Since when did Mark become his heartless? He’s very disappointed.

The tension strengthened. Mark looked for his laptop and turned it on. Quietly, he started working on some documents. “If you’re done with informally talking to the CEO, you can now go out and do your job. I’m not moving the deadlines, Friday morning and that’s final.”

Jinyoung wore a stiff expression and swallowed a chunk of professionalism. If this is how Mark wants it, then be it. “Alright. Thank you Mr.Tuan.” He replied with a more empowered voice. Jinyoung went out of the room and still locked the door gently. Mark sat on his chair and started pouring all his emotions out. His tears gushed down and he hated himself for letting Jinyoung down. But at that moment, he felt like it was the right thing to do; to let all his frustrations out.  Well, no one can blame Mark. It really hurts like hell to be left alone.

 

 

Few more hours, Mark left the office and decided to take Jackson out with him. They agreed to eat lunch together at a nearby pub. Of course, Mark would open up about the latest confrontation that happened between him and Jinyoung. Jackson took Bam with him and Mark was kinda happy about it. It’s been months since the three of them had a meal together. Using Mark’s car, they drove towards their favourite spot downtown and settled on a table near the window, because Bam likes to see the beautiful scenery outside. “Is it your treat?” Jackson asked, laughing.

Mark smiled yet the sadness was still visible. “Nope. But the beers are on me.” he said as he took his wallet out. The other men remained silent, knowing that Mark was greatly troubled at the moment. Who will drink beer at this time of the day? And they still need to do some work after their lunch. “Bam and I are only up for a bottle, Mark.” Jackson said and Bam nodded. “I still have to settle some matters with the auditing department. I can’t drink too much.” The youngest added.

After placing their orders, Jackson noticed that Mark didn’t order a meal. It’s just 3 bottles of beer and a plate of mozzarella sticks. Bam started to munch on his pasta and Jackson on his steak. Mark took a bottle of beer and gulped half of it right away. “Let me guess,” Bam said while chewing his food. “It’s about Jinyoung.” He added, confidently.  Mark smirked and sadly nodded. “What happened?” Jackson intrigued.

“We had an argument. I know it should not have taken place but I wasn’t able to control my emotions.” Mark said, taking another sip on his drink. Bam slowly nodded and looked at him. “I bumped against him earlier and he looked really bothered. He said he’s just hungry and tired but I know there’s something more.” The Thai boy told and Mark felt guiltier.

Jackson made his move right away. He can no longer tolerate his best friend’s stupidity and insensitiveness. “I know it’s very hard for you to reconcile with him but Mark, we all know the truth! That chrome heart of yours still belongs to him. Are you okay with the fact that you make him cry? Does it make you feel lighter inside?” he asked aggressively.

Mark shook his head. “No, but I can’t help it. I’m not saying that it feels good to see him break down, of course it hurts me too but I want to let him know that I’m in pain as well.”

“And you’re not the only one who’s hurting, Mark hyung. Jinyoung hyung has been dragged down for a hundred times by different people during different situations. Yes, he’s strong but we don’t know his limit. I’m just worried for him. I heard he’s living far from his brother now, he must be really sad that he comes home after work with no one to comfort him or ask him about his day. That , big time.” Bam added, concerned for the guy that he treats as his elder brother. Jinyoung takes good care of him whenever they’re at the office and he’s thankful for it.

Silently, Mark sat there as he absorbed all the words emitted from the other guys’ mouths. “You’ve seen Jinyoung before the both of you became close, you’ve seen him when you two finally shared the same love, you saw how he struggled as your relationship got tested by raging currents and you see him now, when he’s completely drained and wasted.” Jackson looked at his best friend with a very worried face. “Now tell me, which Jinyoung is the best?”

Bam looked at him as boss as he anticipated his answer. “He’s perfect in every way.” Mark replied, unconsciously smiling.

Jackson clapped his palms and made the guys shocked. He exhaled happily and patted Mark’s shoulder. “I can feel the love, dude. I won’t push you to fix everything right now because I believe that it takes time to let all the wounds heal, but please, you two needs to happen again.”

“I strongly agree.” Bam butted in. “You can move on little by little, but you don’t have to be too cold or harsh on him. That will make everything worse. We need him, not just in the company but in our respective lives. You, I know you’re the one who needs him the most.” He added.

Realizing that his friends are right, Mark smiled and nodded. He knew that the right time for him and Jinyoung will come again, but that’s definitely not anytime sooner. He finished his second bottle and ate a piece of his snack. “What should I do now? I don’t feel like talking to him after what happened earlier.” He revealed and the two tried to think of the most efficient counter measure. “Let it pass for now.” Jackson suggested.

“Yeah. That’s better. I bet a little more distance will help.” The youngest chimed. Mark took a deep breath and hope that as days turn into nights, he’ll be able to find his way out in this cave of loneliness that he entered. Too much hatred is never good for someone, right?  He glanced at the boys in front of him and gave them a suspicious look. “Are you two dating already?” he asked, all of a sudden, causing Bam to choke on his food. Jackson panicked and handed him a glass of water. “I’m still on the waiting list.” Jackson joked.

“You’re the only one in that list, Mr.Wang. I hope you don’t mind waiting a little longer.” Bam teased with his innocent yet seductive glare that never fails to make Jackson blush like a typical high school girl. “No worries! I’m more than willing to wait.” Jackson replied swiftly. Mark was just watching them quietly with a subtle beam on his face. It looks nice to see his best friend and his unbiological brother lost in each other’s gazes.

“Cheesier than my mozzarella sticks, huh?” Mark blurted out, making everyone laugh in an instant.

 

 

The day went on; Mark and his friends went back to the office after two hours and continued their paused work. The skies started to get darker as every hour passed by. The employees started to go home and the streets got filled with busy people who were excited to go home. Mark didn’t realize that it’s getting late, he’s too attached to his presentation that he wasn’t able to check the time for a while. It was already 9:36PM when his phone rang. His mother texted and asked if he’s fine. At that point, Mark decided to go home and finish all his work at home to lessen that worry that his mom was feeling. He went out of his office, carrying his things and took the stairs since the elevator operator already went home. The hallways were dark; all the lights were already turned off. He reached the third floor when he saw a ray of light coming from one of the rooms. Mark got curious, so he slowly walked towards it to check if there’s still someone, aside from him, who’s in there. A man from the opposite direction appeared. The building janitor bowed and greeted Mark. “Hyunwoo, who’s inside that room? The lights in there are on, right?” Mark asked.

The janitor nodded. “The head of the architecture department is still there and it looks like he has no plans of going home.” And the janitor left. Mark gently walked and peeked at the small glass window at the middle of the door. There was Jinyoung, all alone; his head was on top of his arms as he peacefully sleeps. Papers, rulers and tools are scattered all over the table. His heart clenched. Mark took all the remaining courage in his body and walked in. Slowly pushing the door open and walking in. He sat on a chair located beside Jinyoung. He’s beautiful. Mark whispered to himself. Jinyoung sleeps beautifully and he breaths serenely as well. He can’t avert his sight because he missed this; seeing Jinyoung up-close and almost feeling every little movement that he does. Mark smiled when Jinyoung unconsciously pouted and shifted his position. Knowing that the younger was tired, Mark stood up and went out of the room. He sprinted towards the nearest vending machine and grabbed a can of cold coffee. He even ran back to his office just to get a pack of biscuits that Jaebum gave him few hours ago.

 

He went back to the room and saw the same image. Sitting on his old spot, Mark wasn’t able to control himself. He reached out to touch Jinyoung’s cheeks. Gently, he caressed it like how he does before. Jinyoung’s skin was still soft and milky. It was the skin that he got addicted to; the skin that his lips will always recognize. He pushed Jinyoung’s bangs away from his closed eyes to see a clearer version of his face. Mark’s heart wanted to combust every time Jinyoung unconsciously smiles. All of a sudden, Jinyoung’s eyes begun opening. Mark was taken aback and he retreated his hand instantly.

Jinyoung opened his eyes and balled his fists. After a long yawn, he rubbed both of his eyes strongly. Mark went closer and held his wrist. “Stop rubbing your eyes!” he warned gently, just like how he does it before. Knowing that Jinyoung has this weird habit of rubbing his eyes after waking up, Mark keeps on telling him not to do it for it may cause infections.  Shocked, Jinyoung pulled away from Mark’s hold. All the drowsiness vanished upon seeing the elder. “What are you doing here, Mr. Tuan?” he nervously asked.

Mark stood up and held his bag. “I just…I just came to see the progress of work in this department.” He lied, still trying to act stiff on the younger. Jinyoung reached for a folder and held it on his hands. “We’re doing our best to finish this on time, Sir.” Jinyoung coldy said. Mark didn’t assume that Jinyoung would return the coldness that he’s been giving during the past weeks.

“It’s getting late, you can go home and just continue that tomorrow. Let the team help you.” Mark advised as worry crept up his physique.

Jinyoung took a paper, a ruler and a pen. He started working on another plate and ignored Mark. “I don’t want to put much pressure on them. I’d rather do more of this bull.” Jinyoung firmly stated, not caring about Mark’s reaction. He’s starting to feel stressed on and his hands are close to giving up. Mark was silently looking from the side. “If you’re done with your purpose here, you can go now. I have a lot of work to do and I’m not in the mood to talk as well.” Jinyoung added, hating Mark’s presence.

Mark blinked. He got a taste of his own medicine after all.  Mark sighed and walked towards the door. He twisted the knob and looked at Jinyoung for the last time before completely leaving. Upon Mark’s exit, Jinyoung let go of his pen and scratched his nape, he’s not sure if he did the right thing but it felt quite good to reciprocate Mark’s actions. His sight landed on a can of coffee and a pack of biscuit beside him. He knew that it was from Mark. He smiled and went back to work, and promised himself that he’ll be eating those later.

 

 

Friday morning and Mark went to work earlier than the usual. Yesterday, Thursday, he went to a business partner to settle some matters, he also dropped by their branch in Incheon. He wasn’t present inside the building for the entire day. For short, he wasn’t able to see Jinyoung. Today, Mark wanted to know if the architecture department finished their tasks. He calmly went to his office and sat on his chair. He noticed a tall pile of papers and folders on top of his table, a flash drive and more documents neatly placed inside a brown envelope. Mark was shocked when he saw that it was from Jinyoung’s department. He never thought that it would be done in such a short time. On the other side, he felt proud. He knew Jinyoung and his team can do it. He happily rushed out of the office but a great commotion welcomed him outside. He looked for Bam to know what’s happening. “What happened?” he curiously asked.

“Jinyoung hyung passed out! Good thing Jaebum hyung carried him to the clinic.”

 

Mark arrived at the clinic and saw Jinyoung on the white bed. His eyes were closed, he’s pale and his eye bags were big and dark. Even his hands were calloused and obviously hurting. Jaebum wasn’t there, so Mark sat beside the bed and caressed Jinyoung’s forehead. The nurse stepped in. “Mr. Tuan.” She called. Mark refrained from his actions. “Hi Ms. Jung! How’s Jinyoung?” Mark questioned, extremely worried.

The nurse went closer. “He’s stressed. His workmate told me that he wasn’t able to get enough sleep for the past two days. He’s not eating well too. All he had were coffee, energy drinks and snacks. I suggest that you should let him rest for a couple of days. He has to regain his strength.”

Mark nodded. “Okay. Thank you Ms. Jung.” The nurse left them there. Mark felt sorry for giving them a truckload of tasks. He never thought that it would result into this. Suddenly, Jinyoung opened his eyes. As usual he rubbed his eyes. “Hey! Don’t rub your eyes!” The elder mumbled as he pulled Jinyoung’s hands away from his eyes. Jinyoung groggily looked at him. Fatigue starting to win him over. “Why are you here, Mr. Tuan?” He asked with a very low voice.

“I want to check if you’re fine and I want to apologize as well.” Mark said, apologetically.

Jinyoung tried to sat up but his headache was too much so he ended up lying on the bed once again, Mark assisted him and pulled the blanket on his body. “Just rest.” He whispered as Jinyoung slowly closed his eyes. “But I have to work…” Jinyoung mumbled, tiredly. Mark smiled and played with Jinyoung’s hair. He wanted to take care of the boy but he just can’t. Not now.

 

“Shhh. Don’t worry about that. I’ll drive you home later, okay?” Jinyoung wasn’t able to reply for he was already sleeping. Mark smiled at the view; it made him feel light inside. The moment was interrupted when Bam gave him a text; asking him to sign some papers upstairs. Mark glanced at Jinyoung for the last time and before leaving, he lightly pinched his cheek.

“Rest well, Jinyoungie.”

 

 

 

 

AN: Hi guys!! still added some conflicts here bc some requested for it~ but i also put in some markjin moments as well. hehehe subtle moments to be exact. hahahaha kinda long chapter because im feeling feels!! hahahaha. i'll try to update soon if im not busy this coming week!! leave your insights below! Till next time guys! Stay safe! Love y'all!!! ☺♥