-12

Way Back Home

warning; long chapter, swearing and typos 

 

"I’m sorry about my cousin. He shouldn’t have done that." Mark apologetically said as he looked at Youngjae. He visited the boy in his university during his lunch break and by coincidence, it’s also the younger’s vacant period. Youngjae smiled and stared at the nice view of the school ground in front of them.

"It’s okay, Mark hyung. There’s no need to worry." he replied. After all, nothing bad happened between him and Ken. But the mere fact that he’s still scared whenever the image of Ken coming back to his apartment and filing some deeply rooted questions hits his mind. "How’s Jinyoung hyung? Is he eating well? Is he sleeping on time?" he asked.

Mark smiled, sending a generous amount of assurance to the boy. “He’s fine. As far as I can remember, he is currently having a meeting with some board members back at the office.”

The boy nodded. He tried to smile and deal with the reality that maybe his brother was enjoying his present life as a Tuan. It made him think that Jinyoung might not come back for him. At the end of the day, they’re the only ones left to stand by each other forever. “I miss him. He’s too busy nowadays.”

He heard Mark giggling. The elder took a sip on his icy cold lemonade. He placed a hand on Youngjae’s shoulder and he gave it a light pat. “It’s because your brother is such a great architect! All the investors were impressed by his performances.” Mark cleared up as he watched how the younger’s face brighten up. Youngjae always believed that his hyung is a great one. He’s the epitome of awesomeness. “Don’t worry, he misses you so much too.” the elder added.

The air suddenly blew on their direction. “Please take care of him, Mark hyung. Please make sure that he’s always safe and happy. I trust you.” Youngjae pleaded. Of course, Mark is the best person to entrust his brother. “I will.” the elder responded.

"I have one more wish." Youngjae scratched his nape as he gathered all his courage to say them. He also made a sip on his drink and looked back Mark who was smiling at him.

"Tell me."

 

He took a deep breath. “Sooner or later, you two are going to be a couple. He’ll love you completely and unconditionally. He’s going to take care of you and make sure that you’re fine. He’s willing to give up everything for your happiness. Hyung is so selfless. Loving him is the best decision that you ever made. So please don’t hurt him, okay? Don’t you ever try to make him cry or I’ll do something that you’ll never like. I’m serious, Mark hyung.”

Mark smiled widely. He was right. Loving Jinyoung was the best decision that he have done so far. Even if the other drops the idea of vocally proclaiming his affection for Mark, Jinyoung makes him feel loved in every that he can. Action speaks louder than words. “I love your brother so much. I’d rather see myself hurting instead of seeing him in pain. I’ll be a good partner because my future brother in law is kinda scary.” and they both laughed from their hearts. As a younger brother, Youngjae only wanted the best for his elder brother. Jinyoung sacrificed his freedom and accepted a risky job to be a fake son just to claim him from Mrs. Jang and give him a better a life.

 

"Youngjae!" They glanced onto the same direction, seeking for the owner of the voice. Yugyeom came rushing towards the guys with his same old red bag pack. He was tired and panting but he still managed to show respect to the elder guy that caught his attention.

Youngjae stood up. “Mark hyung this is Yugyeom, my friend. Gyeom he’s Mr. Mark Tuan.”

Yugyeom beamed and reached for the elder’s hand. “Nice to meet you, Mr. Tuan! I’m Kim Yugyeom.” he introduced himself after shaking the hand and bowing. Mark can’t help but smile. This kid is so jolly and polite. He also looks good and he seemed smart as well.

They remained like that for seconds. “What course are you taking?”

"Accounting too."

 

Mark nodded and lets go of Yugyeom’s hand. “It’s nice to meet you too.” he glanced at his wrist watch and noticed that his break is about to end in few minutes. “I seriously want to talk more with you guys but I have to go. I’ll try to come back next week with Jinyoung.” and the youngsters understood. They bid goodbye to each other.

"Goodbye Mr. Tuan! Have a great day ahead!" Yugyeom shouted as Mark opened the door of his car. He looked back and waved before leaving.

 

 

 


Jinyoung was quietly heading back to Mark’s office after a successful meeting with the board members. The discussions went well and they all agreed that the resort renovation and development should start in less than 2 months. The board members liked how Jinyoung created the floor plans and illustrated the new look, including the interiors of the resort. They’re sure that it can help raise the income; high enough to save it’s decreasing state.

He was just a few steps away from the office. His stomach was grumbling badly and all that he ever wanted at the moment was to eat. 2:00PM isn’t too late for lunch, anyway. One of the staffs from the advertising department gave him a quarter pounder burger, french fries and a bottle of soda. They all looked too delicious.

 Bambam welcomed him with a wide smile as he entered Mark’s office. The boy was getting some folders on his table. “Bam, have you eaten?” Bambam shook his head as he carried the folders on his arms. “Not yet Jinyoung hyung. I have a lot to finish and I can’t go down to buy some food. I’m so hungry.” he pouted as he walked towards the elder. “You? Have you eaten?” he asked.

Jinyoung beamed as he noticed that Bam must be really hungry. He seemed lifeless and tired. Without thinking twice, he handed the paper bag that contains the foods to Bambam. “Go eat! It’s bad to skip meals.”

The younger just can’t understand everything. It’s weird. It’s surreal. “But this is yours! You need to eat too, hyung!”

"You’re a growing man."Jinyoung ruffled his hair. "You need to eat well. Don’t worry about me. Eat well, Bam!"

Just like everyone, Bam totally believes that Jinyoung is a saint in his past life. He’s so selfless and he keeps on putting someone else’s needs before his own. Everything that Jinyoung does make him miss his family back in Thailand. “Thank you, hyung. I owe you one.” and the boy left the room to let the other have some rest.

 

 

Jinyoung sat on a couch as he listened to the weird noises coming from his tummy. All of a sudden, his phone rang. “Hello? ” he answered with a very low voice.

"Jinyoungie, its Jaebum. I just want to know if we can have lunch together." Jaebum nervously asked on the other line. "Sure!" the other replied, standing up and fixing his clothes, straightening some unwanted fold marks. This is going to be great.

 

 

 


Jaebum was the first one to arrive. The place that he chose was a place that Jinyoung would really like. It’s a vintage restaurant downtown that offers good food and good books to read as well. He smiled to himself as he glanced around. “Hey!” Jinyoung called from a far as he happily trudged towards his best friend. “I’m sorry, it’s really traffic.” he added while setting on a chair across his friend.

Then Jaebum called the waiter and the food came in an instant. A plate of buttered beef, rice and some stir fried vegetables. The other ordered the same. They started eating since they’re both starving. Jaebum watched how Jinyoung munched on his meal. “When was the last day that you’ve eaten? You look really hungry!”

Jinyoung gulped some iced tea before speaking. “I wasn’t able to grab anything for breakfast aside from coffee since I have a meeting to attend. So if you’re asking when was my last meal, its last night.” and they both giggled. “How’s your job?”

"Everything’s going well. We’re getting busier every passing day but I’m still happy. Everyone was so kind and I just love working with them."

Jaebum looked at him. “That’s great.” he commented and they continued eating. Just like how most if the best friends spend time together, the boys talked about random things about life, work and stuff. Time was something that both of them didn’t care about. All that they wanted was to chat and spend more hours together. Just like how they were during college days.

 

 

The sun was completely gone when Jaebum decided to send Jinyoung home. The hours passed like minutes. Jaebum wanted to say more, all the things that are bugging him for the past weeks. All the unsaid thoughts are starting to kill him slowly inside. While Jinyoung was just there, looking at his phone and waiting for another call from Mark. The elder called him for almost 30 times and he wasn’t able to reply because he’s too carried with the conversation. There were also truckloads of messages sent but he wasn’t able to reply. He felt really guilty. Now Mark was the one who’s ignoring him. A taste of my own medicine, maybe.

 


“Nyoung.” Jaebum abruptly said, breaking the silence as they got stuck in the heavy evening traffic along the boulevard. Jinyoung glanced at him with a weary smile. The signal light from the car before them was enough to make a nice hue reflecting on their faces. “Yeah?”

Jaebum withdrew his hand from the stirring wheel. He rested his back comfortably on the soft upholstery of his car. “I already fall for someone.” he blurted out, making Jinyoung beam. He doesn’t know why Jaebum was suddenly saying it to him but nonetheless, he’s happy for his friend. “Really? Then who’s the lucky girl?” he intrigued.

"You mean who’s the lucky guy?"

 

Jinyoung was taken aback. Way back in college, Jaebum rejected him and made him feel like for the reason that he isn’t a girl. He clarified that he’s just attracted to girls and he’ll never like guys. But now, Jaebum was saying that he’s in love with a guy. That’s kinda unfair although his feelings for the other already faded. “Guy? Jaebum are you—”

"I know I shouldn’t be saying this. I shouldn’t be asking you out and for no good reason. I’m not supposed to feel like I’m on cloud nine whenever we’re talking, personally or just by through phone. I’m not supposed to thinking about you every minute of the day. I shouldn’t care too much. But I can’t help it, Jinyoung. I’m in love with you."

 

And now he’s in love with me. Jinyoung remained silent as he tried to absorb every word. If Mark’s confession made him feel combustions of different feelings, this one confused him a lot. Not that his feelings are coming back, but he never expected those words from Jaebum. “You should’ve said that when I’m still craving for your affection. Exactly 3 years ago. Things are different now. I’m so sorry Jaebum.”

A sudden pain in the chest made Jaebum feel weak inside. It might not be direct but it’s clear that Jinyoung just rejected him. It was so hard for his side since it was his first time to fall for a guy. He never thought that throughout the whole time, he’s in love with Jinyoung. Jaebum bit his lips to stop himself from crying. He held the stirring wheel again and focused on the cars in front of them. “Is he the guy that you’re with in the supplies store?”

 

He’s probably pertaining to Mark. But of course, Jinyoung could never say yes at this moment. He needs to protect Mark’s image although Jaebum seemed to be oblivious of Mark’s background. “No. Not him. “

If Jinyoung messed their friendship before, Jaebum did the same by now. You can never expect someone to act normal after hearing a confession of love from someone that you never thought would say it. It made Jinyoung feel uncomfortable all of a sudden. They remained silent. It was really awkward and both of them are just shocked and clueless.

"Thanks for the lunch and for your time, Jaebum. It will be better if I just take a subway since I’m in a hurry. Thank you again. See you around." and he unbuckled his seatbelt. He went out of the car, heading towards the subway station few streets away from the main roads. He can’t bear to stay any longer with Jaebum at that time. He’s out of words. Despite of the worry for his friend, Jinyoung believes that he’ll be fine

 

 

 

"Hi mom!" Mark came home with several of boxes of egg tarts on hand. He went straight to his mother and gave her a kiss on the cheek. Sooner, his father and grandfather went out of their rooms after changing their clothes. Office work is just to draining. They all settled on the living room as Mrs. Tuan continues to cook for dinner.

Mark glanced around. “Where’s my Jinyoungie? ” Mrs. Tuan shouted from the kitchen. So he’s not yet home? Mark nervously reached for his phone and scanned all the missed calls and messages. Jinyoung tried to contact him but since he raised his pride too damn high, he wasn’t able to reply. He was guilty. What if something bad happened? He tried to call Jinyoung as he went out of the area. He stood in front of their door as he waited for Jinyoung to answer. But the other dropped the call. Mark was starting to get worried. The fact that he already went home late and Jinyoung isn’t even there made his heart rage. I hope he’s okay.  He looked in front and finally saw Jinyoung making his way towards the door with a very blank expression. It was so lifeless.

 

"Where have you been?! Do you know what time is it already?! I’m so worried." Mark asked, almost shouting, as the other was about to turn the knob. Jinyoung glared at him. He’s too worn out and now this is what he’ll get? “My watch says that it’s now 7:56PM.” He rolled his eyes and went further the house, leaving Mark alone outside; clueless and upset in a way.

 

 

 

Jinyoung went to his room to change. He completely understands that Mark was just worried about him but the way that Mark said it was just too off. He entered his room and gets rid of all his garments before getting new ones. He’s too tired; emotionally, mentally and physically.  It seems like all his worries were balled altogether and was dumped inside his head. A knock from the other side of the door was heard. He went to it and opened the door.

“Nyoung, can we talk?” Mark requested and of course, Jinyoung nodded. They went in and locked the door.  “I’m sorry. I’m just tired.” Jinyoung started by sitting on the bed. Mark beamed, understanding the other. “Me too. I’m sorry. I’m just worried. Bambam said that you left during lunch so I tried to call you but you’re not even answering. What happened?” the elder asked, still standing few inches away from the younger.

“Jaebum invited me out for lunch. We had a fun conversation so I wasn’t able to notice that my phone was ringing. I tried calling you back but you’re not picking it up.”

“Jaebum?” Mark said. His heart clenched. He shouldn’t be feeling that way but he can’t stop himself. He’s still jealous. “What did he said? He should’ve sent you home at least!” he added with a dash of bitterness in his voice.  Jinyoung took a deep inhale. Thinking if he should let Mark know about what exactly happened. “He was about to send me home, but I refused.”

Mark raised his brow. “Why?”

“He confessed. He told me that he loves me.” Mark remained silent. He’s getting nervous for no clear reason. All the feelings that he was getting at that point was just a sum of unknown reasons. Jinyoung noticed how Mark tensed up. He knew that saying those words were not a very brilliant idea but he wants to be honest with Mark. “He asked me if it’s the guy that I’m with in the supplies store, that’s you.” He added. “I said no.”

 

The atmosphere sunk in a split second. “Jaebum is playing with your feelings. Better stay away from him.” Mark advised, obviously angry. He can’t tolerate this kind of crap. What if Jinyoung chose Jaebum? What if Jinyoung still loves Jaebum? All those crazy ‘what ifs’ entered his mind and its sharp edges are starting to drill holes.

“I won’t! He’s my best friend. I’ll just give him some time to think then we’ll be back too normal.”

“Time? Jinyoung, that guy rejected you once! He broke your heart into million pieces without thinking twice and now that he’s coming for you, you’re gonna give him time?! Let him experience your pain!”

 

Jinyoung hates arguments; especially with people that he treasures. He hates that he has to defend his side even if that means crushing other’s opinion. “Why are so mean to him? I can’t afford to lose a friend like Jaebum. I know how it feels, I’ve been there before. But I don’t want to let the wounds bleed again.” He protested.  That’s it. All that Jinyoung wants is to give Jaebum a plenty of time to think and move on but Mark keeps on bringing up his side.

Mark wanted to throw something to the wall due to his anger but no, he can’t do that to Jinyoung. “Oh come on! You don’t get my point!”

“Mark, I know that you love me, I know that you care for me! I asked you if you are willing to wait for me, you said yes. I even confirmed that I have feelings for you. Why do you have to act like you can control my feelings? Jaebum is my best friend!“

The elder was near to crying. It’s getting painful each passing second. “So you’d rather loose me?”

 

A series of knocks ended the scene. “Mark! Jinyoung! Are you guys fighting? Dinner is ready. Ken and his mom are here to join us. Come on.” They stared at each other as they watched how their heated conversation changed their way of breathing. Mark was the first one to step down and run out of the room. Jinyoung was all alone, he tried to remember any foul statement that he said but at the end he realized that he said the rights words.

 

 

He went downstairs after a few minutes. Mark was sitting beside Ken on the far side of the table and Jinyoung sat beside Mrs. Tuan. They’ve been sitting next to each other every dinner but for the first time, they’re on different directions. Mark was looking down and quite disturbed. They began eating. Jinyoung steal glances every time, hoping that Mark was looking at him too. But the boy was just too focused on his meal.

 

“Ken! Where were you earlier? I was looking for you back at the office.” Their grandfather asked. Ken smiled. ”I was reading a book at the city library. It’s about an identity thief.” He responded. Mark’s bugged thoughts lighten up. He gazed at Jinyoung who seemed to be stunned as well. Ken smirked again. “The main character pretended to be someone’s fiancée just for money. That’s really dreadful!” Ken commented.

Their grandfather nodded lightly. Mark checks on Jinyoung every single moment. Jinyoung took a heavy gulp on his water. “I guess those people are just after the wealth! Can they sleep peacefully at night knowing that they’re fooling a bunch of people?! I can’t believe those types of people exists.”

The food seemed to stuck on Jinyoung’s throat. He felt really bad that he wanted to throw everything out and run away from this family. He’s a bad person. He’s dreadful. He’s disgusting. He shouldn’t have existed. If he could just stop everything, he’ll do it. He went back to the first day because that’s what he keeps on doing when a shot of guilt hits him hard. What if he declined the offer? Youngjae must be starving in Mrs.Jang’s place and their land is already owned by someone else. He just did the right thing yet it’s the other way for others.

With trembling hands, he took one last gulp on his water. “I’ll rest now. Excuse me.” and he run towards his room. Locking himself inside and hugging a pillow close to him as he cried his heart out. This day was just too exhausting. He’s too stressed about work, Jaebum’s confession, Mark’s pointless issues and now him, being a bad person in front of the people that he got deeply attached to. All that he ever wished was to disappear for a while just to free himself from everything. He needs it, badly.

 

 

After the dinner, Mark went upstairs and tried entering Jinyoung’s room but it was locked. The urge of making the younger feel better was really strong since he knew that he’s one of the reasons why Jinyoung was feeling down. With a heavy heart, Mark went back to his room and promised himself that in the next day, he’ll make Jinyoung happy. He took his laptop and started making some business research. It took him 2 hours to finally decide that he should take a rest already. But he just can’t sleep knowing that Jinyoung is hurting. He stood up and walked towards the door and downstairs to get the keys. He swiftly went back to Jinyoung’s room.

Jinyoung was facing the window while lying on his bed. He’s still hugging the pillow as low sniffs were heard all over the room. Mark’s heart caved in. “Nyoung…” he called. Jinyoung turned around and saw Mark standing next to his bed. His eyes were red, his cheeks are puffed and wet and he’s looked so inappropriate but Mark still sees the perfection in him.  The younger rose and walked towards Mark. It was so magical that they automatically run into each other’s arms.  Mark held him tight and close as the other cried on his shoulders. It really is tragic to see how Jinyoung falls apart but he hoped that he can pull all his shattered pieces back together. The younger wrapped his arms around Mark as well; firm and tight. His face was buried on his shoulders as he tried to seek for stability and strength. “I’m so sorry. I’m too insensitive. I love you so much, Jinyoung. I’m always here for you. I’ll never let you break again.”

His tears somehow subsided as Mark hugged him tighter and rubbed his back plus all the heart fluttering words. “Hug me tighter. I really need it.” he whispered, making Mark smile. Mark did what Jinyoung asked him to do. He’ll do anything to make the younger feel better.

 

“I hate you, Mark Yi-En Tuan.” Jinyoung whined as he felt Mark’s warm breath against his neck.

Mark giggled. “Is that your way of saying ‘I love you’?” Jinyoung remained silent as he completely immersed himself in Mark’s warm embrace. What caught them by surprise was when Jinyoung’s stomach suddenly grumbled. Mark laughed again. “My baby’s hungry?”

“Stop laughing! I wasn’t able to finish my dinner earlier, remember?” Jinyoung stubbornly said.

“Alright. Come on, I kept a box of egg tarts for you.”

 

True love really does involve food, isn’t it? Jinyoung thought as they walked out of the room.  

 

 

 

 

 

a/n: hey guys! hahahahaha. honestly, this chapter was supposed to be a little longer but since i wanted to give this one a '''cute''' ending, i decided to just add the remaining stuff on the next chap. i was listening to Fix You by Coldplay while  writing this so i recommend y'all to listen to it too while reading this chap.  btw, i MIGHT post a new markjin & 2jae stuff next week so pls do anticipate.hihihihihi :)) SO YEAH! THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HEART WARMING COMMENTS! Thank you for supporting this fic and my other fics as well. i'm so thankful to have awesome readers like y'all *cries* you can follow me on twitter! it's @pjyxcyj. :) Thoughts, questions, comments, insights and suggestions are whole heartedly accepted so pls do leave them belowwwww ;) and again, y'all can still leave your guesses regarding the true son hihihi :) bye for now guys! thank youuuuu! stay safe! love y'all! ☺♥