-23

Way Back Home

might contain typos

 

It was a scorching hot Saturday morning when Jinyoung made it a must to be extra productive. It’s his day off since Mrs. Shin took Peniel to the dentist for his quarterly dental check-up. The apartment was tranquil and noiseless; and it made Jinyoung miss the boys who were once there. It’s been a week when Youngjae and Yugyeom both decided to rent a dorm inside their university for it’s a lot more convenient instead of traveling every day. Of course, Jinyoung said yes and supported his brother’s decisions although it somehow crushed him inside. He’s parting with his brother again which seems like they’re not really meant to be with each other for a longer period of time. As an elder brother that only wants the best for his younger sibling, it’s a choice that requires a strong heart and mind. And he wonders why he always end up in that position.

 

He was all ready to go to a nearby supermarket and get some groceries when the doorbell rang. Not wasting any time, Jinyoung immediately made his way towards the door and opened it. His eyes widen upon the sight and his heart somehow stopped functioning for a couple of seconds. His hands stiffen yet his legs were getting weaker as time passes by. He wanted to say something or even do something, but his brain went blank that it can no longer generate a single thought. Bottom line, he never saw this day coming. He never imagined that he’ll be seeing this man again.

“Good morning, Jinyoung!”

 

Jinyoung blinked his eyes, breathing hardly. “G-G-Good morning, Mr.Tuan…” he replied with a low and stuttering voice.  The old man smiled at him like nothing’s wrong; just like how he smiles before. Jinyoung was surprised to see him in a wheelchair who’s handled by a chubby guy wearing a white scrub suit, probably his personal nurse. “Come in!”Jinyoung blurted out of the blue. The nurse pushed the wheelchair in and they all settled in the living area. A long moment of silence; within the given interval, he observed how the old man changed. He got thinner and obviously became weaker. Jinyoung’s heart clenched at the sight but he still tried to smile. “H-How are you, grandpa? I mean…Mr.Tuan.” he sadly said.

The old man reached for his hand and gave it a light squeeze. “Grandpa sounds better, Jinyoung.” Then he retreated his hand and placed it back on the arm rests of his wheel chair. “I’m still that old man who takes care of a gigantic company yet cancer cells start to eat up my remaining strength. I would be lying if I’ll tell you that I’m completely fine, but I’m trying, though. I’m a fighter just like you.” he beamed to ease out the worry that’s building up inside Jinyoung. “You? How are you?” he asked back.

Jinyoung sighed. “I’m okay, grandpa.” said the younger. Nervously, Jinyoung sat there, thinking about what topic or matter to bring up. He looked around in his unit just to avoid the gaze of the old man. He knew that the man still treats him as a part of the family but he can’t ignore the fact that he left his favorite grandson, Mark, in pain. It made him question himself if Mr.Tuan is aware about that incident.

 

“I’ll get straight to the real deal, Jinyoung.” Mr. Tuan seriously declared, shocking the younger boy. Averting his sight, he faced the old man. “We need you back in the company.”

Jinyoung was taken aback. Am I hearing the right things? He was out of words. The idea of coming back to the Tuan Corporation is an issue that buzzed him out instantly. Its not that he never wanted to go back and help, but what happened between him and Mark was something that can never be mended by an 8-month separation. He’s terrified, thrilled and shocked. His heart can’t take another painful glance, another hurtful word, another piercing act from Mark.

He had his eyes wide open, yet it was starting to water as thoughts of random possibilities begun to float around his mind. “G-Grandpa, you know how I wanted to go back but–”

“Mark has nothing against this.”

Seriously? That statement somehow beated his heart a little harder. Mark moved on that fast? he asked himself. Good for him. But on the other side, it cleared all his negative suspicions regarding his sudden entry in the company. “Why is it so sudden? What happened?” he inquired out of curiosity.

The old man nodded. “We are investing with a Japanese company, H. Enomoto Incorporated. The team already sent some of our proposed floor plans and building structure for multiple times, yet the company kept on rejecting them. Jaebum mentioned that you’ve worked for them before and the officials liked your performance. Mr. Enomoto gave us our last chance. It’s now or never, Jinyoung. We need you to lead our architecture and design department. We can’t just let go of this deal. I hope you understand.” he said, almost using a begging tone. Jinyoung was obviously hesitant. His plan of avoiding the Tuans will surely fail from this day forward.

Jinyoung stayed silent, thinking if he’s good enough to accept this offer. He looked at the old man and he couldn't feel any guiltier. He needs to give back all the help that this family gave him.After all, the Tuans became his second family and the company became his playground for a short while. He closed his eyes and made a deep inhale.“When will I start?”

 

The old man smiled wide. He wanted to thank Jinyoung in all the possible way that he can. He’s just so thankful. “I’ll meet you at the office tomorrow!” He muttered as he felt that tears of joy were beginning to form on his eyelids. Really, this guy never fails to amuse him. On the other hand, Jinyoung was silently hoping that he made the right choice. He’ll give it a try, and if it creates a conflict, a single tiny conflict, he promised himself that he’ll directly drag his self out of the company, out of the Tuans’ lives.

“We’ll go now, Jinyoung. Thank you so much! This is the last favor that I’ll be asking from you, I swear! I’m looking forward to working with you in the coming days. Again, thank you! We owe you a lot.” the old man was brightly smiling. He was just so amazed by the reality that Jinyoung is helping them during the crisis. And what made him happier was the possibility of his grandson and Jinyoung to get back together again.  From the start, Mr. Tuan knew that Mark and Jinyoung were made to love each other.

The nurse bowed at Jinyoung before gripping on the wheel chair handles. Jinyoung stood up and walked them towards the door. “Take care, grandpa! I’ll…I’ll see you tomorrow.” he bid goodbye as he leaned on the frame of his door.  He old man nodded enthusiastically. Few more steps away from Jinyoung’s unit and they disappeared. Jinyoung rushed back inside and started to reflect on his decisions. His heart caved in, realizing that there’s no way that he could avoid Mark. But it was too late when he recalled that Mark and Jaebum works in the same place and a little worse, they’re brothers.

“I’m screwed.” He whispered within the cool morning air.

 

 

Night time; when everyone in the Tuan residence is now deep in their slumber, Jaebum peeks within the dark yet calming hallways of their floor. He was from the kitchen, carefully walking with his hands both occupied with something that he prepared. He passed through a number of doors, and he must admit that he’s still apprehensive with all the parts of this house. It’s been weeks, even months, that he’s staying here, but he can bravely say that he’s not yet fully used to it. It was like living in an apartment for almost all of your life, and then you’ll be in a palace-like mansion in a blink of an eye.

He stopped in front of a certain room. Using the side of his right foot, Jaebum tried to knock on the wooden door. He did that for a couple of times, hoping that the person inside will hear him. He can see a small beam of light coming from the sides of the door; which clearly means that the person inside is wide awake. He was standing there for less than 30 seconds when the knob twisted and the door opened, welcoming him with a blinding light. “Hey, Mark hyung!” Jaebum smiled.

Mark grinned a little. He was wearing his black framed eyeglasses, which made him look younger, according to Jaebum’s own mental analysis. “Hi! Come in!” he asked and his younger brother did. This was not the first time that Jaebum will be entering his brother’s nook but it always felt like he’s going into another dimension. It feels uncanny. He heard his brother locked the door behind them. “I made some sandwiches and a mug of coffee for you. Just in case you’re hungry.” Jaebum awkwardly spoke, holding the tray with both hands.

The room was really neat and organized. Jaebum thought. Although his study table was a total mess. Papers were scattered across, two of his MacBooks are being used, lots and lots of manuals piled on the side and other materials that only the future CEO will understand. Mark scratched his nape and reached for the tray. There was a clean white plate containing two sandwiches and a mug of coffee. There was nothing too special about it, but it was visually appealing for someone who’s starving; and that’s Mark. “You made these for me?” he asked and his younger brother nodded. “Thank you!” he replied. Touched by his brother’s deed, Mark used a free hand to pat his back. 

 

Jaebum sat on Mark’s bed as his watched his elder brother walked towards his study table with the tray on hand.  “Hyung, can I stay here for a while?” Jaebum asked. He heard the plate colliding against the wooden table. “Yeah.” Mark shortly replied. Once the tray was empty, he went back to Jaebum and placed the tray beside him. “Not yet sleepy?” the elder teased.

“Not yet. I want to see how the future CEO does his magic within this mess and come up with a jaw-dropping proposal tomorrow.”

Mark chuckled. “Well, it’s some sort of black magic. More like a weird sorcery.” And they laughed loudly.

Jaebum was contented with that kind of conversation. He never imagined that having an elder brother will make him feel more cherished. It was like having a personal protector. Mark would sometimes teach him about the basic concepts of business and other things. They would work hand in hand in doing some chores at home. Jaebum is thankful. He is always thankful. But sometimes, it’s inevitable to think about their level of comfort. At some points, Jaebum feels like Mark was forced in doing those things. He was having that painful feeling that deep inside, Mark hates hanging around him. Maybe really Mark hates him, a lot.

They were at the midst of laughing when Jaebum suddenly stopped and glanced at his brother. “Hyung…” he softly said. Mark was bursting out with joy yet he managed to reply. “Yup?” Jaebum hardly gulped and smiled. “Nothing. Eat your food and finish your work!” he ordered. Mark nodded and went back to his desk. He went back on reading some reports cautiously. 

“It’s okay if you don’t like me as your brother. I…I understand.”

 

Mark refrained from all his movements upon hearing those words. He looked back and saw his younger brother who’s giving him a troubled look. Confused, Mark talked back. “What are you saying?” Mark is currently on his way to accepting his brother. He can’t do anything, though. Whatever happened, happens and will happen, Jaebum will remain as his brother and it will never, ever change.

“I don’t know…Maybe it’s just a feeling. But you don’t have to force yourself to talk to me or to smile at me. I know it’s hard to adjust with someone that you haven’t seen for 23 years. I can wait, hyung.” Jaebum sadly replied. His whole body was trembling.

Mark smiled at him. “Jaebum-ah, don’t you ever doubt about the way I treat you. There were times when I can’t talk to you properly or spend time to know you better but I promise, I don’t have anything against you. Actually, I’m grateful to have an awesome brother like you, so stop overthinking, okay?”

The younger beamed back and nodded. The room went silent once again as Jaebum was about to leave. “I’ll sleep now, hyung. See you at the office tomorrow.”

Mark looked at him for the last time. “Good night, kiddo.” And his brother fully left his room. It was all true. He was grateful to have Jaebum in their family but the fact that he’s in love with Jinyoung kicks him frequently and on that note, he can’t help but to feel jealous and hurt. Mark sighed; he placed his hands behind his neck and closed his eyes. “ just got real.” He mumbled.

 

 

 

The next day, Jinyoung woke up earlier than his usual time. Sunday and it’s raining outside. It seems like the weather was being one with his feelings. He can’t stay calm and collected. He was so nervous that he almost dropped the cup that he was drinking from, he wore his left shoe on his right foot, he left his tools inside his room and realizing it when he’s near the waiting shed, so he had to go back to his unit and take them all with him. He was practicing his lines if ever Mark fires back at him. Things will still get worse, Jinyoung said to himself. But a tiny chip in his heart says that everything’s going to be fine.

He rode a cab towards the Tuan Corporation. As he arrived, He was welcomed by the same air, atmosphere and people. Nothing much changed; the plants outside just increased and the trees became taller. He went in, tensioned. Meeting scary stares of old and new employees. Some did smile at him and greeted, some passed by like he’s a ghost and some gossiped. He gets in the elevator and went to the designated floor. Jinyoung went out and walked slowly, hoping to see Jaebum around but there was nothing. He headed straight to the conference room where he was asked to go.

In front of the door, he asked himself once again. After going in, there’s no going back. He can’t get his calm life back. He can hear Mark’s voice and it made his eyes wet. He wiped away his forming tears and tried to regain his focus. His shaking hands reached for the cold knob. Gently, Jinyoung twisted it and pushed the door open.

The frozen image of Mark was the first thing that his eyes recognized. The urge of dropping everything and running towards Mark was really strong. He wanted to hug him, to kiss him and tell him that he still loves him but his brain was telling the opposite. Jinyoung could feel his tears form once again yet he was trying so hard to hold his emotions back. His entire body went numb. Everything is pain, suffering and frustration.

Mark was stunned. Mixed feelings and intense emotions rushed within him. He was at the verge of breaking down but he knew that he can’t. Not now that he’s in front of the higher men in the company. Jinyoung was still that alluring man that he loves. His cheeks became a little fluffier than before and his hair grew a bit longer. His heart was beating fast and he wants all these things to stop. He can never let himself fall harder for the person that made huge, deep scars in his heart. Figuring out what to say, he stood there in awe.

 

“Jinyoungie!” Jaebum’s voice cleared the awkward situation. The man rose from his seat and smiled at his friend. Mark looked away as he watched how Jinyoung walked near his brother before occupying an empty seat beside him. It didn’t end there. Jaebum tends to be quite impulsive whenever he’s with Jinyoung. He abruptly hugged the younger tight, which left Jinyoung in shock. Mark was crushed into million pieces for the second time that morning. He can’t afford to look at it.

Mark gathered himself again. “Let’s continue.” He said, turning around to face the huge screen before them. He took some folders and asked Bam to give it to Jinyoung. Bam passed him the papers with a subtle beam. Jinyoung reached for the folders and secretly touched Bam’s hand. He missed this kid so much. The boy went back to his previous place and allowed Mark to go further with his discussions.

Mark faced them all, seriously. Jinyoung just can’t look at him. “As we all know, we are all in need of an architect that will head the architecture and design department for this enormous project. He’s Park Jinyoung, the new head. He’ll be working here from now on.” He soullessly said. Jinyoung uneasily glanced around and bowed at the board members. “I want all the final details today. Every department head is in charge of this, okay? Tomorrow, I will be talking to Mr.Enomoto regarding the improvements. Am I clear enough?”

 

And the heads agreed. “Hyung! Can I just ask something?” Jaebum spoke out of the blue.

Mark blankly stared. “Go ahead.”          

Jaebum pouted a little. “There are a thousand of Japanese companies that we can merge or invest with. I searched some of them last night and I must say that they’re as good as the Enomotos’. In addition, their standards were toned down especially for foreign investors. I just want to know the reason behind these sickening chasing game. Why are we so into them?” he asked politely. Mark’s expression remained stiff. He raised a brow and glanced at the board members.

“The Enomotos knew a lot regarding this field. Only top companies in the world were lucky enough to work with them. They’re the leading group in Japan and I think that pretty explains why they set their standards above the average. I made this decision, and I’m not the type of person who quickly gives up on something for my own convenience. I’m not selfish, and I think it’s my weakness.” he tearfully said before shooting a swift look at Jinyoung who was looking at him as well. “If you really know someone’s worth, you will never leave them hanging just because you need to choose. You have to be brave enough to stay and continue what you’ve started.” 

A tear rolled down Jinyoung’s eye as he bowed down to face the tables. Cold droplets of water simultaneously land against the folders, creating a wet patch. He did his best to hold it in, but the pain written within Mark’s eyes was enough to make him feel bad, really bad. Jaebum felt uncomfortable all of a sudden. The air seemed to be very thick. “Oh...Okay. I understand. Thank you for explaining it well, hyung.”

 

“That’s all for today. Be reminded about the deadlines. Thank you. You can all go back to work.” Mark advised as the employees and other officials went out of the room. jaebum held Jinyoung’s hand as he stood up. “Nyoung, let’s go.” he said. Mark caught it; how his brother interlaced his fingers with Jinyoung’s. Dazed, Jinyoung sat like he didn’t heard anything. 

“Mr.Park,” Mark called, carrying his laptop and walking out of the room with a straight vision. “Meet me at my office.”

 

 

Jinyoung’s legs were wobbly when he arrived at the front door of Mark’s office. Good thing, no one was there at the moment. He had enough time to dry his eyes and regain his lost stability. With a weak knock, Jinyoung went in. Mark was just sitting on his leather chair and encoding some files on his laptop. The office itself changed a lot. Jinyoung must say that it became tidier and the furnitures got rearranged. It was so nerve-wrecking to stay in the same room with Mark. He wanted to cry it all out, but he can’t.

Mark glanced up and looked at him. He pointed to a brown envelope beside his table. “These are the previous plans that the team made. You can use them as references. Mr. Enomoto’s instructions and requests were also written there. I want to see the final layout tomorrow.” Mark coldly, bitterly said. 

Jinyoung slowly walked and picked it from its place. His hands are shaking. The way Mark talked to him was now different. It’s very firm, cold and emotionless. This is not the Mark Tuan that he met before. Mark changed a lot and maybe it’s because of him. It was more like a cliché; pain makes people change.

 

He took a couple of steps back. For the last time, Jinyoung looked at Mark. “Mark...” Jinyoung started off. The elder stayed silent. “I’m so sorry.” Jinyoung mumbled with a broken voice. He was crying, heavily.

Not spending a single second to look at the man, Mark replied. “I’m done with explaining your task. You can leave now. I have a truckload of things to do.”

As ordered, Jinyoung tried his best to walk. It hurts him a lot to know how Mark hated him now. Way back then, his heart can never tolerate an image of Jinyoung in tears. His battered heart becomes painful after each and every second. This kind of pain was worse than before. He has to accept the fact that as of now, Mark will no longer be a part of him. He wiped his tears with the back of his hand. “Thank you, Mr, Tuan.“ and he left.

Right after the door clicked, Mark broke down and cried his heart out. He threw all the things off his table and allowed himself to fall apart. He loves Jinyoung so much and seeing him crying, apologizing and hurting kills him slowly. But sometimes, a person uses his mind rather than his heart. Mark used his heart once, but Jinyoung broke it. 

 

I have to do this, Jinyoung. You made me do this.

 

 

 

 

 

an: HIIII GUYSSSSS!!! HIHIHIHI LATE UPDATE :< SORRY. I WROTE THIS ONE WHEN MARKJIN SEEMED TO BE FIGHTING SO ITS A BIT ANGSTY HEHEHEHHEHE I WAS REALLY SAD DURING THOSE TIMES :(( BUT OMG THEY HAPPENED AGAIN!!! WHAT A GREAT COMEBACK! MARKJIN 5EVER!!!!!! MY FEELS ARE GOING KSDJLAKSHFKJDSHKFJDSHFJKHDG!!!  HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA I'LL TRY TO MAKE THE NEXT ONE LIGHTER HEHHEHE :) FEEL FREE TO LEAVE YOUR COMMENTS BELOW! STAY SAFE! LOVE Y'ALL !☺♥