-22

Way Back Home

might contain typos

 

Despite of the sudden revelation, the Tuans decided to settle everything first. They all want to assure the accuracy of the tests and other information before taking their son back. Of course, they’re all once disturbed by the incident involving Jinyoung and Mark, no one hopes for that pretending thingy to happen for the second time. Mark’s parents got the chance to talk to Jaebum’s foster parents. They’ve agreed to uncover the truth to their son since they all believe that Jaebum has all the right to be with his legitimate family.

It took them a month to finalize every needed detail. Still, Jaebum was unaware that his life will change in the coming days. His foster parents chose to hide the truth and allowed the Tuans to do all the needed talking when the right time comes. Weeks after the boy arrived from Japan, Jaebum decided to take a break from all the work. He stayed at home to spend time with his family, some ‘me time’ and he would drop by Jinyoung’s apartment whenever he misses the younger.

 

“Jinyoung-ah!” Jaebum immediately said after knowing that his friend already took the call. It was almost lunch time and he’s pretty sure that the man is free during that hour. Jinyoung replied. “Hi Jaebum! What’s up?” he asked. It was quite strange for Jaebum to call at this time of the day. Normally, he would do it during evening. Nonetheless, Jinyoung answered it.

Jaebum made a deep inhale and pushed the door of the hotel that he was about to enter. “I’m going to meet my real family in a few minutes!” He excitedly replied. The hotel lobby was bright, with a touch of elegance in every corner. The chambermaids and other staffs were walking from one corner to another just to satisfy their customers with their needed service. The hotel was different from all the other inns that Jaebum visited before. The ambiance, the environment, everything feels so foreign. It was like he’s in a brand new dimension. He glanced at the side and saw a huge ‘Tuan Hotel and Lounge, Seoul‘  sign. 

Jinyoung refrained from stirring the stew that he was cooking for Peniel. It’s been a month, and Jinyoung decided to work for the Shins again. He wanted to have an extra income for their other expenses so going back to one of his past jobs was indeed the best option. Plus, keeping himself busy kicks away the thought that Mark and him was now breathing the same air. “This is not a late April Fools joke, right?” he said, turning the stove off. 

“Of course not!” Jaebum walked towards the counter and brightly beamed at the receptionist. He handed her a blue card that served as his pass. It was given to him by his parents the day before since the Tuans’ used a private room of this hotel to make the reunion a little more solemn than it could be and the only way to get there is by using that said material. The receptionist called someone from the back. Sooner, a guy wearing a cyan uniform stood beside Jaebum and asked him to follow. Jaebum did. “But I don’t understand myself, Nyoung.” he added. “Is it normal that I’m kinda nervous right now?”

The younger on the other line giggled. “I think so. Anyway, I’m so happy for you. You’ve waited too long for this day to happen!” he happily responded. Jaebum nodded as he walked on a long hallway. The smell was addicting; the smell of luxury and splendor. No wonder, the Tuans are really rich. “Okay, okay. But it doesn't mean that I’m not glad. Honestly, I’m a bit scared as well. What if they don’t like me or anything close to that? I can never take the rejection from my own family. “

 

The man and Jaebum proceeded to a small door that probably heads to the exclusive room proper. The rhythm of Jaebum’s heartbeat was no longer having its previous pattern. “Since when did you start to be so negative?” Jinyoung intrigued, knowing that his friend was not like this at all. “And how would a family reject their own relative, specifically their son by blood, which they haven't seen for the past 20 years?”

“Fine. I’ll try to relax. You know, if you’re here, I bet you’ll feel the same way too. They even chose to meet me in this upscale, top class and high end hotel at the middle of the city. It’s strange! Does that mean they’re so damn wealthy!?”

Jinyoung sighed and scratched his neck. “Who knows! What if the owners of that hotel are your real parents?! By the way, what’s the name of that hotel?’ he asked as he turned the stove on once again. But before Jaebum could answer, the man that accompanied him all the way to the suite tapped his back and told him that they already arrived and he has to enter right away. “I’ll call you later, Jinyoung! Bye!” he rapidly replied before stuffing his phone in his pocket.

 

 

Jaebum took a very deep breath. The door in front of him was huge. The fact that his life will finally change as soon as he entered this room gave him chills. Reuniting with his real family was one of the things that Jaebum always wanted, even though he’s hurt by the reality that he was left in front of someone’s house in Ilsan. He wants to know the truth. 

Slowly and carefully, Jaebum pushed the door handles. He was welcomed by a cold sensation and numerous pairs of eyes. An old man on a wheel chair, a couple and a man, probably the same age as him. Jaebum froze. His legs seemed to weaken. Is this my real family? he asked himself. 

“Jaebum...”

 

The woman called as she instantly rose on her seat and rushed towards Jaebum. Mrs. Tuan pulled him into a hug and Jaebum was caught off guard. It all happened in a blink of an eye, that he wasn’t able to react appropriately. Mark was standing there quietly. His heart was close to exploding. Meeting his real brother is simply a wish come true, but knowing that it was the guy who loves Jinyoung was enough to make him regret that he pursued looking for him.

Mrs.Tuan cried on Jaebum’s shoulder as Jaebum hugged her back. The feeling of having your real mother close to you is just priceless. The man felt his eyes water as well. His father went a little closer to him as well, he beamed. “Welcome to the family, Jaebum Tuan.“

 

Tuan? I’m a Tuan?! The shock was very visible within his face. He can’t believe it. He’s a member of one of the richest clans in the country with countless properties and assets all over the busiest parts of the world. He also recalled that Jinyoung worked there before. But as of the moment, he allowed himself to digest all that he’s hearing, seeing and feeling. 

His father joined in the hug. Mark gently pushed his grandfather’s wheelchair towards their direction. “We are so happy to finally meet you, grandson.” The old man spoke in a husky voice. Jaebum smiled between his sobs and lowered himself in order to hug his grandfather. When he pulled away, Mark locked gazes with him.

“You look familiar! Have we met before?” Jaebum asked as Mark blanky stared at him. He was feeling numb at the moment. He was breathing yet he’s no longer living. “He’s your older brother.” Mrs. Tuan interrupted. Jaebum then beamed and hugged him lightly. “I remember you now! You are Jinyoung’s friend! We met in the supplies store many months ago.”

Mark kept in from everyone. Jinyoung did the same. He didn’t tell anyone, except Jackson and Bam, that Jaebum is Jinyoung’s close friend and that he’s one of the reasons why his heart was broken into million fragments. Mark doesn’t want to create any gap or issue within their family, especially now that they’re already complete. Jinyoung on the other side, kept the true identity of his ex-boyfriend from his friend. Also, the pretending agreement remained as a deeply buried secret. Jaebum was not aware regarding Jinyoung’s past connections with the Tuans. All that he knows is that Jinyoung once worked for them.

 

“You know Jinyoung?” His father asked.

Jaebum detached himself from Mark. “Yes. He’s a close friend of mine.”

His father eyed Mark. The whole family was informed about their break up but they never knew that it ended in an agonizing way. Mark kept it, again. He can’t let anyone hate Jinyoung. “Well, welcome to the family! It was nice to formally meet you. I’m Mark.” Mark faked a smile. Acting normal was the best option for now, forever. He believes that one day; he will have the nerve to face his brother without feeling a dash of uneasiness.

“I...I’m speechless. But I’m so thankful! I mean I’ve waited for a long time for this to happen.”

His grandfather smiled and held his hand. “Come on! Let’s proceed downstairs and eat. We have a truckload of things to talk about.”

 

 

Jinyoung was on his way home from his shift. He was calm walking through the narrow streets when his cellphone beeped. Jinyoung took it out from his bag and saw Jaebum’s name. He pressed the answer button. “Yes Mr. Im Jaebum?” he answered sarcastically.

Jaebum, on the other line, arrogantly chuckled. “Oops! Correction! I’m no longer that ‘Im Jaebum’.” he responded, earning a faint laugh from the younger. Jaebum was on a cab en route to his old apartment. He was so happy that he wanted to let the entire world know that he’s a Tuan. “My bad. Then what is it now?” Jinyoung mumbled.

“Jaebum Tuan.”

 

The younger felt his heart drop. How can this be?! His legs weaken that he can no longer make another step further. Stuttering for the right words, he still tried his best to respond. “A-A-Are you serious?” His vision became blurry as the bulbs of his brain started to bust out.

“It’s unbelievable, right? But I’m serious! It’s true! I met them all earlier at the Tuan Hotel. And the guy that you’re with in the supplies store before, that’s my elder brother. Mark hyung!”

 

Mark. He sighed. Jinyoung was trembling intensely as his free hand searched for a stable things to rely on. He can’t take the truth that Jaebum was the lost son that the family longed for too long. He can’t fully accept that the spot which he once took in exchange of money is now Jaebum’s. The world is indeed a small one for them. Jinyoung was greatly shaken by the truth. At the moment, he’s scared of what’s about to happen next. He knew how Mark hated Jaebum because of their past concerns. Tons of ‘what ifs’ and possibilities lingered in his mind; everything was damaging and terrifying.  

He was mainly lost in an island of thoughts when Jaebum spoke louder than the usual. “Hello? Nyoung, are you still there? Are you okay?”

“Y-Yes. What happened? Are they happy to see you?”

Jaebum laughed. “Weird question, huh? Absolutely! We were all happy earlier. I like them a lot! They’re sweet and kind hearted. Just like how I wanted my real family to be. You know, they’re too natural about themselves! Dad and mom and even grandpa! Mark hyung is quiet, though. But he said he’s just tired because of office works. He’s nice and caring. I never thought that it feels good to have an older brother.”

Jinyoung heavily breathed, still not moving from his current position. He was reclining on a light post with a hand on top on his heavy chest. He was craving to know more about their meeting but his other self was telling him not to for whatsoever reasons. “How’s Mark? Is he okay?” he asked absentmindedly.

“Yeah. Like what I told you, he’s just tired. Why?” Jaebum curiously said. “And before I forgot, I’ll be working in the Tuan Corporation starting next week! Mark said that he already fixed my position as the new junior head of the engineering department! Isn’t that great?!” he added, not giving Jinyoung a single chance to talk.

Little by little, Jinyoung gained his strength. He can’t stay in that place forever. He tried to walk, very slowly with his baby steps. His phone still tightly pressed against his ear. “W-woah! That’s nice! I wish you all the best!” he muttered.

“Thank you, Jinyoung! I’ll pick you up tomorrow morning, okay? Let me send you to work.”

Jinyoung hesitated. “N-No need. I can go by myself. Just spend time with your family.” He answered. For now, this is the only thing that would make his heart and mind settle in peace. He needs to avoid the Tuans, and that includes Jaebum. He knew that it’s inevitable to escape from his best friend’s radar but he’ll give it a shot.

The car stopped right in front of Jaebum’s apartment. He got off and entered the building. “Are you sure? It’s Peniel’s field trip tomorrow, right? You have to be there before 5AM. I’m just worried about your safety.” Jaebum softly spoke. Jinyoung realized how lucky he is to have a friend like Jaebum. And at that exact moment, he knew that creating a gap between them is impossible. Losing a person like him is a not a good idea, not at all. “Seriously? I even used go home at 3AM when I was working at the club. I’ll be okay, dude. Don’t worry.” He assured.

“If you say so, then fine. Take care.”

“I will. Thank you.” And Jinyoung immediately ended the call.

 

 

 

The new chapter of their lives already started. Jaebum was now working in the Tuan Corporation. The staffs gave him a warm welcome and made friends with him. Adjusting isn’t a problem at all since he can easily cope with some situations. Ken would sometimes act tough on him, just like how he did to Jinyoung. But Mark backs him up every time. All in all, Jaebum enjoyed his position in the company. He fulfils his duties and follows the rules. The team liked his performance.

It was a hot Friday afternoon when Mark called an urgent meeting. All the heads of each department was called to contribute their thoughts and reactions. Jaebum was asked to join. He sat on a far corner of the conference room with a blue planner and a pen, expecting that he’ll be jotting down some notes. Quietly, he anticipated the higher officials.

Once they’re all complete, Mark begun discussing. “As we all know, we’re currently working on a huge deal with a Japanese company. For the past week, the head of the said company kept on rejecting our proposed building models and plans. They gave us our last card. If this one fails, all our hard work for this project will turn into nothing.” He seriously proclaimed. The staffs widen their eyes and whispered against each other.  Jaebum raised his hand shyly. “Hyung!” he did his best to get Mark’s attention. The elder looked at him. “Yes Jaebum-ah?” he asked, playing with his pen.

“May I know that name of the company?” he asked, getting the attention of the people.

Mark nodded. “H. Enomoto Incorporated.”

 

Jaebum’s mouth formed into an ‘o’. He smiled at his brother. “That’s where we worked before!” He cheered. Mark was taken aback. So this conversation will include Jinyoung again? He told himself. Mark bobbed his head as he pushed all inappropriate thoughts away. His younger brother was still brightly smiling at him. “I have a suggestion.” He launched. “Go ahead. I’ll listen.” Mark said, giving a subtle beam to make his brother comfortable in front of everyone.

He took a sharp inhale. Nervously, he spoke. “My close friend and I worked there for 8 months. My friend was about to replace the head of their architecture and design department, but my friend declined the offer because he said that he really wanted to go back here in Seoul.” Mark was out of words. Jinyoung is in Seoul? His heart pumped wildly. Nope, he can’t fall apart. Not now, not in front of everyone. All the people inside where attentively listening to Jaebum. “He also worked here before. And I think he’ll be perfect for this project. He knows what Mr. Enomoto likes. And maybe, it would be a plus that he once worked for them. They were very satisfied with my friend’s performance.” Jaebum added.

Mark was biting his lips. “So what are you trying to –“

Jaebum beamed wider. “You should hire Park Jinyoung, again.”

“B-B-But…” Mark wished he had enough guts to speak out but his heart prevents him from saying a word. All of a sudden, his grandfather interrupted. “He’s our only hope, kid. Do it.”  The old man insisted. He was giving a different stare. It has a different meaning at all. “Take Jinyoung back.”

 

He closed his eyes and silently wished for the best. “Fine. Let’s hire him.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

an: hey guys!!! ☺ kinda late update since im very busy right now:( sorry :(( i'm still on hiatus on twitter btw :((( this chapter is kinda....mehhhh lol hehehe still no markjin because jaebum needs to settle some issues with his real family first. but the next chapter will contain markjin moments hehe (finally!!!!) btw, the next chapter will be posted within this week too :) pls so leave your comments, suggestions and questions below! they're whole-heartedly loved hehehe so yeahhhhh till next time! stay safe! love y'all ♥☺