-21

Way Back Home

 

"Mr. Tuan, we’ll be leaving in 10 minutes."

Mark was looking for a piece of paper within the messy stack of books and files on his desk. He was close to throwing all the things off his table just to see that damned sheet. Bam eyed his boss and shook his head. “What are you looking for? ” Bam asked, walking towards the table.

Mark felt so hopeless. “Remember that yellow paper that I was holding yesterday?” he asked and his assistant nodded vigorously. “That’s my speech for today’s event! I left it here last night.” he spoke, still searching through the brown folders and transparent envelopes inside his side drawer. The room becomes messier each time Mark would take out a bunch of stuff and look for his beloved paper.

"Sir, an impromptu speech will do."

Mark blew heavily. After hours of restlessly flipping things over, he gave up. Slumping on his leather chair, he closed his eyes and hoped that all the luck in this world would stay on his side for a while; just after the important ceremony. Mark stood up and swiftly took his jet black coat. “Wish me luck, Bam.” he said, walking towards the door with a very unsure expression. His little assistant chuckled and followed him out of his office.

"Good luck, Mr. Tuan." he sarcastically declared.

 

 

A cool breeze of air welcomed Jaebum as soon as he got off the cab. He went out and took their suitcases from the trunk. Japan is a nice place. The people, the places, the rich culture and everything about the country is simply remarkable. After paying for the taxi charge, they slowly walked towards the airport proper. “Are you sure about this?” Jaebum asked, pulling a blue luggage behind him.

"It’s been 8 months, Jaebum. Tons of things already changed. Youngjae already got a full scholarship and monthly allowance because of his outstanding grades. I can finally go back to normal my life in Seoul." Jinyoung softly said within the cold wind surrounding them. Staying in a foreign place was one of the greatest fears that Jinyoung somehow overpowered.

His best friend grinned a little, understanding Jinyoung’s situation. “The company officials really liked your performance! I mean… I think that position is really destined for you! Your salary was even bigger than mine!” and they both laughed. “Why’d you have to drop this?” Jaebum followed. He was not telling his friend to go back and work in that company again but he’s just curious about Jinyoung’s decisions.

"I don’t know. I think it’s already time for me to go home and have my old life back."

Jaebum pushed the glass door of the airport and lined up for the inspection. “Convince me that you’re really itching to go back.”

Jinyoung smirked. “Remember when Mr. Enomoto said that the head of the architecture and design department, Mr. Tadayuki, had resigned?”

The elder nodded. They walked side by side towards the baggage scanner. “Yeah. That was a week ago. Then they invited you for an urgent meeting at the middle of —” Jaebum stopped for a second. Slowly, he gazed at his friend and came into a huge realization. “Don’t tell me you’re offered to take his place?!”

"Yup. But I declined." Jinyoung shortly responded with a grin. Looking at how their bags go through a large scanning machine.

Jaebum raised his hands. He can’t believe that his friend would turn down an offer of a lifetime. It made him realize that Jinyoung badly, truly, madly wants to go back to Seoul and leave everything that he has in Japan.

"Okay, I’m done." Jaebum declared, making them giggle.

 

 


The car just increases its speed every time, Mark can feel it. He was quietly looking at the window and admiring how the nature looked that day. It was so relaxing and vibrant. Mark spent his past 8 months in Daegu. Of course it’s for work matters. And although he may not admit it, leaving Seoul is one of the thousand ways to forget Jinyoung.

The vehicle stopped. “We’re here?” He asked Bam as he noticed that the boy was already removing his seatbelt. “You’ve stayed here for 8 months, Sir. How come you forgot about this?” he mocked with a very cocky expression. Bam can see it through his eyes; Mark was lost in his thoughts, again. The elder just shook his head and unbuckled his seat belt. “Shut up. I’m just sleepy.” he answered.

"If that’s the case, I suggest that you should remain focused. You know how important this event is, right?" Bam said as he went out of the car, carrying some stuff, and waited for Mark to walk before him.

Mark eyed him suspiciously. “As far as I can remember, you’re my assistant. How come you already sounded like my dad?” the elder went in the venue and was greeted by numerous personalities in the business industry. There were also members of the media who wanted to take a picture or a statement but the security was so tight.

Bam rolled his eyes and followed his boss. “Whatever.”

They walked towards the main hall. The doors opened and Mark walked in with all smiles. He looked so respectable, honorable and admirable in his get up. His family; his parents and his grandfather, who’s still going through a series of therapies, was also there. All the board members and everyone who plays a part in the Tuan Corporation were seen inside the hall. It really is a huge event.

That day, their newly renovated resorts in Daegu will officially open for business purposes. It’s the resort that was designed by Jinyoung. His first project as an architect. And what hits Mark every time was seeing how every inch of this place was made. It was like seeing Jinyoung’s dream coming into life.

After the opening ceremonies, Mark was invited to do a small speech on the stage. As the new junior vice president of the company and the person in charge of this successful project, his words were highly needed. The people clapped and cheered as he climbed up the stage. He was so nervous.

 

"Good day. I want to make this short, not because I’m in a hurry. But I want to get straight to the point. I would like to thank everyone who came here today. It’s a great privilege to speak in front of you all. And most especially, to every person who poured their tears, blood and sweat in this project. The engineering department, headed by Mr. Seo. The finance department, managed by Ms. Bae. The advertising department and their head, by Mr. Wang. And the architect who’s behind this masterpiece, Mr. Park Ji—-"

Mark had to stop. Why would he acknowledge someone who is not even there? Someone who left him alone for the past months. Someone who gave up on him when he’s in need of a shoulder to cry on. Someone who created deep and painful craters in his heart. He was somehow numb by now but it’s inevitable to think about Jinyoung at certain times. Maybe that’s one of the hardest parts of letting go; remembering that he was once there and constantly reminding yourself that he’s all gone.

The short silence was enough to make the crowd curious. Mark was aware of it so he immediately swept all the thoughts in his brain and continued. “A big thanks to the whole architectural and design department. I hope that this new start will contribute a lot in our progress and development. Thank you.” and a round of applause followed as he went offstage.

 

Few more hours passed and the event finally ended. Mark headed straight to his car and asked the driver to take him back to his office in Seoul. Unexpectedly, Jackson went inside of the car and joined the ride. They were silent at first, both scrolling on the cellphone screens. “Dude, I heard that.” Jackson spoke out of the blue with his very intimidating expression.

Mark lifted his head. “Heard what? I’m not even talking! Are you crazy or something?” He said, looking back at his phone. He was browsing through a website of a Japanese company. Jackson chuckled and threw a moderate punch on his friend’s chest. “The architect behind this masterpiece, huh?”

"Let’s not talk about him, Jacks."

"You still love him, Mark. Trust me. You still love him."

"We’re done. He left me when I expected that he’ll stay by my side and help me go through my emptiest hours. Yes, I still love him and that ing kills me over and over again. Maybe he loved the way that I treat him, the way I care for him. He loved how I lose my sanity over him. And yes, maybe he loved the fact that I love him more than anything in this universe. But who knows, what if he never really loved me, genuinely?"

The baseless conclusions have been lingering around Mark’s head for a couple of weeks now. He tried to reflect on everything that happened and no matter how he set his thinking in a positive way, the outcome would always be excruciating as hell.  Jackson moved a little away from his friend. “Woah there, Shakespeare!” He joked. The fact that Mark talks like an author of a best-selling novel amused him a lot. But deep inside, he was shocked that his pal was able to spit those words. They giggled in unison. Mark stared back at the window and tried his best to regain his peace of mind. Broken thoughts of Jinyoung are stressing him up once again. The Hong Kong native sighed. “Time. Everything that happens in this universe is just a matter of time. One day he might come back and fix everything. Just wait until the right time comes. ”

Mark heavily breathed. “Have you ever thought about the idea of getting wrecked and fixed by the same person? That’s insanely terrifying.”

 

Two days after the resort opening, their sales instantly shoot high. It was quite unbelievable for everyone but now that it’s already laid before them, they just have to do all the chewing. Reservations and other inquiries kept on coming after every hour. Truly, it was a successful project.

 

Jinyoung was now back in Seoul. For two days, he was just in Youngjae’s apartment, sleeping and catching up with the months that they’re not together. He’s happy that he’s finally back although he was worried about tons of things. He heard that the resort renovation became a huge success. Jinyoung felt so proud, not of himself but of Mark. The fact that Mark was just a step away from the presidency made him feel so warm inside. After all that happened, Mark still managed to carry on. A heart-strong man, indeed.

 


“Mark, you don’t have to go with me. There’s a truckload of papers to do in the office. You have to review all of those! And besides, you have to monitor the improvement of the research department’s evaluation regarding our upcoming investment in the Japanese market.”

The boy stood up from the couch and walked towards his grandfather. “Are you sure? I can leave it to Bam or just go overtime tonight.” He insisted impatiently, stomping his feet like a mad child. He was like a 5 year old kid pleading to be included in a trip. His grandfather shook his head. He can’t believe that throughout the years, Mark’s childish side still shows in certain situations.  “Bam is your assistant, not your clone.” He ironically replied. The old man scratched his neck and made a series of rough coughs. Mark passed him a glass of water, which his grandfather consumed right away. His personal nurse entered the room without any warning. He was smiling brightly and bowed at the Tuans.

“Good Morning, Mr. Mark Tuan.” Minseok, the nurse, greeted. Mark beamed and responded the same greeting. “Sorry to interrupt, but we have to go now. The check-up will start at 10AM and the therapy will be at 1PM. “ He gently held the push handles of the wheel chair. The old man gazed at his worried grandson. “Hurry up, kiddo! Go to work! You can’t be late today!” He cheered while the nurse starts to push the wheel chair, heading out of the room.

 

That day, his grandfather was scheduled to have a chemo therapy session. Mark wants to accompany him and stay by his side every day but they both know that it was not that easy. Both of them wear many hats in the company, although the old man’s works were already passed to the lower ranks, namely Mark’s father, Mark and even to Ken. As of now, the just have to be strong and hope that the therapies and medications would work.

Mark went to his office that morning. Normally reviewing all the papers and tracking some transactions from their resort in Daegu. It was past lunch when he attended an emergency meeting with a local manpower agency that provides half of the staffs in branches located within provinces. It went nice after all. The sun was about to set behind the thick dark clouds when Mark was finally able to go back to his office and grab something to eat. His assistant brought him a meal which he devoured swiftly. Few more hours and his required working hours will already come into an end.

 

A couple of minutes after the clock strike 6 o’clock in the evening, Bam knocked on his door. The young man entered and made his way towards Mark, who’s checking the Japanese company that they are rooting for. He looked up from his laptop and smiled. “Yes?” he asked.

Bam exhaled and brightly smiled. It was odd that it made Mark feel relaxed in a way. “Someone wants to talk to you.” He said and a man walked in. “Good evening, Mr.Tuan.” the man greeted. Mark bowed and asked the man to sit on a chair in front of his desk. Bam excused himself and went back to his desk outside the room.

Mark looked around the room. “What brought you here, Mr.Hwang?” he asked with a subtle beam. Mr.Hwang is an investigator who was hired by their family several years ago.  He was working with the case of the lost child for almost 4 years now. The whole family gave up and told him to just drop the case few months before Jinyoung came up to pretend. But Mark and his grandfather secretly asked the investigator to continue finding his brother.

 

“I found him.”

The time seemed to stop. Mark’s fingers stiffened and it started to tremble lightly. “H-How sure are you that it’s r-really him?” he intrigued, moving closer to the man.

“I talked to his guardian. She confirmed it. She said a baby was left in front of her house in Ilsan. The woman took care of him and raised him properly. She said that even the kid knows the truth. But he’s not aware that he’s from a rich, famous clan. I took some samples of his hair stands from his hair comb and his DNA matched with yours and your father’s.”

Those words left a deep impression on Mark. Lots of questions started forming in his brain. Why would someone took his brother and leave him somewhere in Ilsan? Who’s that person? His thoughts were ended as the man passed him a brown envelope. “See for yourself.” He muttered.

Mark slowly opened the folder that contains a couple of papers and documents. He saw certificate and a college graduation picture. His heart almost stopped in shock. He double checked his name, his face and everything about his image again and again. How can this be!? He asked himself as he tried to think if this was just some kind of a sick joke, but no. It’s real. It’s happening. Mark’s feelings were extremely jumbled. Holding the picture, he breathed heavily. Out of all the people. Why him?

He looked at the certificate and begun to read his name. His voice was shaking.

 

“Im Jaebum.”

 

 

 

 

 

an: heyaaaaaa! hahahaha surprise~ everyone expected for it to be youngjae or yugyeom but it's really jaebum hehehehe. to everyone who was expecting that it was jaebum since the start, congratulations! hahahaha the markjin moments will be back in the chapter so pls do anticipate :--) feel free to leave your comments, insights, suggestions and even questions below~~ that's it for now!! till next time! stay safe! love y'all ☺♥