Just Like Any Other Day

Tutoring an Idol

 

It was like any other Thursday.  Wake up at 7 am.  Chi Tea Latte from Starbucks by 7:45.  Apples of Gold Daycare by 8:10.  To Gianna Solecki, being a daycare intern her entire summer was starting to get redundant and tiring, but it was a job, so she committed her day to not complaining about it.
 
She walked into the daycare at 8:08 (almost late!), grabbing her “Miss Gianna” nametag and punching in for her usual day at the preschool.  Though she wished it was, Gianna’s work wasn’t as fun and glamorous as the rest of the workers’ jobs.  While everyone else was teaching the kids, playing games, and eating snacks, Gianna was stuck in the back office covered in giraffes and apples, being in charge of calling parents and companies for donations of supplies.  And almost every day, at least three preschoolers came back to Gianna’s office complaining of a tummy ache.
 
10 am.  She made her usual phone calls to major companies asking for a donation for supplies.  Crayola and RoseArt had already said no, so she almost decided to quit and start her attendance report.  Suddenly, a little boy walked into her office.  “You have a tummy ache?” she asked.
 
“No,” he replied, “I’m just bored and wanted to come back and say hi.”
 
She smiled.  None of the kids had ever come back just to say hello before.  “Well, hi.  I’m Miss Gianna.”
 
“My name’s Ethan!  Do you have any paper and crayons?”
 
“Why, yes I do!  I always have paper and crayons for the kids that wait back here!”  Gianna grabbed some paper from the copy machine and crayons from her desk, handing them to Ethan.  “Thanks!” he yelled in excitement, and started drawing on the paper like a young Picasso.
 
Her office phone started ringing.  Noticing the extension, it was her boss, Bev.  “Why would Bev be calling me?” she thought out loud.
 
“Are you in trouble, Miss Gianna?” Ethan asked, dropping his blue crayon.
 
“I don’t think so,”  Gianna picked up the phone.  “Hey, Ms. Calkins.”
 
“Gianna, you need to come to my office.  Your university advisor called and didn’t know your extension number.”
 
“Okay, I’ll be right down.”  Gianna hung up the phone and looked at Ethan.  “Hey, I have to go to Ms. Calkins’ office.  Are you okay with being alone for a few minutes?”
 
“Yeah, I’ll be good!  Cross my heart!” he replied as he continued drawing.
 
Gianna walked out of her office and down the hall to Bev’s.  As she opened the door, Bev was sitting at her desk with the phone at her ear.  “Wait, she’s here now!”  She put the phone down and walked over to Gianna.  “Listen to what he was to say.  And I think it’s something you should take.”  Gianna furrowed her eyebrows and thought, What is she talking about?  She walked over to the phone and picked it up.  As she put it to her ear, she could hear her jolly advisor speaking to a few people in the background.