Meeting the Team

Myth

   Jessica woke up early Tuesday morning at exactly 5 AM, in a cold sweat. Her heart pounded against her chest and her face flushed of its color. Reaching frantically for and mouth, she pauses and she sighs.

“Another dream.” She thought.

   Knowing it would be difficult for her to get back to sleep, she tossed her remaining blankets aside and sat up. She was getting sick of this. The more she thought about it the more it didn’t make any sense to her.

   Her dreams were becoming more frequent, most of them distorted fragments of memories she didn’t know existed. Others were clear and blank slates, where she could breath and choke at the same time. Tonight was no different.

   All she was doing was standing alone in an all white room. It had no windows or doors, just empty white that appeared to go on forever. She walked around, feeling the walls rub against her palms and cold floors under her bare feet. Suddenly the symbol of a snowflake and crescent moon would sketch itself on the floor, and the room filled itself with ice. Jessica had opened to shout, but the words were stuck on her frozen lips.

Then she’d wake up. Cold. Sick. Confused. Alone.

   The sound of someone shifting under thin sheets startled her.  She released the breath she didn’t realize she was holding as her eyes flickered over to the side of the room.

    Oh. Right.

   She was sharing a room with Tiffany, mostly due to the fact that Taeyeon ‘needed space’ as Tiffany wanted to put it. The girl had  stirred only for a moment before settling back down, her breathing even once more. Jessica eyes scanned over Tiffany’s face in the darkness of the room. The unbothered, calmness that was on her face made her jealous.  How could she sleep so freely with the weight of the world on her shoulders?

   TIffany puzzled her. This girl, who came out of nowhere, had showed her a world she never even knew existed. A world where the line between magic and reality didn’t exist. Where she was an important player in the potential leading up to the end of the world. Yet her she was. It was a miracle that she hadn’t gone insane.

   Jessica mulled the thought over in her mind once or twice. Why was she still here? Sure, there was the connection between her and Tiffany from some fade memories, but even Jessica knew those were limited at best. All this talk about Half-Breeds, and Training, it made her head spin. She didn’t run away however. She was a Jung, after all. Jung’s never run away.

“Keep telling yourself that.” She snorted softly before climbing out of the bed.

   She was going to change and maybe head out, but suddenly she remembered Yoona’s warning from a few days before.

“Some Half-Breeds around here don’t take too kindly to strangers. If you’re going to explore have either me or Taeyeon with you.” Yoona said.

“How come? Shouldn’t everyone be sticking together?” Tiffany asked.

“Yes...and no. With recent developments, tension about outsiders are gonna be higher than normal, if anyone asks you what Myth you descend from be wary. Some people won’t like what they hear you say.” Yoona replied.

   Jessica couldn’t blame them really. If she was a citizen suddenly learning about the fact that someone like her had such a large target on her back, even she would question the rationale of the higher ups.

   So going out was almost out of the question. What could she do then?

   You could do one of those little training exercises Yoona told you about.

   She paused when she heard Tiffany shift again. She waited for a moment before moving again.

   Quietly she changed into some different clothes, dark blue jeans and a gray sweater. Simple. This would be simple. She creeped out into the hallway, walking passed both Taeyeon and Yoona’s rooms and into the small living room. She decided sitting somewhere closer to the window would be the best, the more light the better.

   She moved a chair in front of the glass, staring out into slowly brightening city. The Underground, as explained by Yoona, was home to over a thousand different types of Half-Breeds and Half-Breed families. It was one of the few beacons of hope for them, one that accepted them wholeheartedly and without pause. A vibrant community filled with awe and wonder.

  Jessica wasn’t sure where exactly where she’d fit in it all.

  Pushing away those thoughts for now, she focuses on what Yoona had told her.

“It’s a simple task, one that helps you flex your powers to see what they really feel like.” Yoona said.

“First, try clearing your mind of everything.”

  Which she had did...or at least attempted to.

“Then focus on what you’re trying to do. Feel the energy rise from the bottom of your soul and push it out. Vague, I know, but you’ll know what I mean once you do it.”

   She sits up straight and closed her eyes. Jessica could only remembered the last battle when everything seemed to be going out of control, and during the heat of the moment. Her life was on the line at the time. That power that ran through her veins was foreign and alarming. Tiffany was injured, they were endangered, Taeyeon and Yoona could've already been dead, Tiffany was trying to protect her-

   Something just clicked.

  An odd coolness pooled in her chest, then slowly began to branch throughout her body.

“It’s a rush the first go round, don’t try to control it. Let it rush through you, unbothered, free.”

    Quickly now, the coolness turned into frost. She could feel the temperature of the room drop dramatically, her heartbeat beat slowing.    

“The most notable thing that will change about you are your eyes. That’s how you can tell yourself apart from normal Humans. Your eyes reveal everything.”

   And they did. When Jessica opened her eyes her reflection in the glass stared back bright, ice blue. She felt excitement push through her. She did it! Freely this time, without the danger of someone knocking her down.

   She wondered what else she could do in this state.

   Jessica glanced down at her hands for a moment, before bringing them more than an inch apart from each other. Immediately, frost gathered in between her palms, building slightly.

“What if I…” She moved her right hand carefully and raised up one finger.

   The frost shoots up towards her extended finger, created a sort of pillar in the palm of her left hand. She marveled at the sight. Moving her fingers, the ice spiked, flatten, build. She smiled.

“Not Bad, blondie.” Jessica jumped in alarm.

    She had lost it, the ice turn solid, slipping from her palm, and crashing to the floor, sending shards skidding every where. Quickly she turned around and was relieved to only see Yoona standing there.

“Sorry, didn’t mean to scare you.” Yoona remarked.

“It’s fine. I didn’t hear you get up.” Jessica said.

“Heh, getting a head start on the whole training, huh?” Yoona asked.

“I wasn’t sure it was going to work.” Jessica admits.

Yoona smiled.

“Lucky for you, you’ll get to test it out more. Come on, we should get ready.” Yoona said before stopping, “Oh, and make sure you clean that up.”

   Jessica blinked before looking back at the floor, surprised. The Ice shards had impeded themselves into the wooden floor, spiking upwards slowly. She opened , before shaking her head. Focusing again, the coolness from earlier disappears, and Ice stops growing.

“That’s...going to take some getting used to.”


   The girls all gathered in the living room soon after. Tiffany was practically bouncing on her heels as they headed down to the elevator.

“How many people are we supposed to be teaming up with?” Taeyeon asked.

“Not sure, I don’t think I’ll be receiving the official roster till we reach the Oasis.” Yoona replied.

“Oasis…?” Jessica asked.

“Ah...it’s a nickname for the compound. When I was still a rookie every one of us involved with the resistance heard stories about the things that went on there. The missions, the training, the pay-grade...compared to the smaller training halls it was paradise, so we called it ‘Oasis’,” Yoona explained, “The stuff they use there is really high tech, and I’m sure it’s only gotten even more so in the last few years I’ve been gone.” Yoona replied.

   The trip down the elevator and out into the open was quick and easy. The girls watched Yoona greet old friends as a transit car with HQ’s insignia printed on the hood, came to a stop in front of the building.The doors of the vehicle slide open, revealing Sooyoung sitting inside. She smiled.

“Hop in.”  Sooyoung smiled.

   The girls glanced at each other briefly before climbing inside. Tiffany, Taeyeon, and Jessica all sat on one side while Yoona sat next to Sooyoung with an annoyed grunt. The door slid close, and the vehicle zooms off towards their destination.

“It’s great to finally meet you three, I’ve been told a lot about you.” Sooyoung noted.

“Not too much I hope.” Taeyeon replied, “We’re still getting used to this whole...situation.”

“I don’t blame you. While I wish it was under better circumstances, we can’t afford not to discuss exactly what you will be doing here.” Sooyoung said.

   Sooyoung extends her left arm out in front of her slightly, using her hand to press a series of buttons on what could be assumed as a communicator built into the door. A small digital protection materializes in between them, the title ‘Project Pawn’ being highlighted in blue lights. Jessica and Tiffany stared in awe at the display, while Sooyoung pushed another button.

“Officially being tilted ‘Project Pawn’,  Commander Leeteuk has developed a plan that will aid in the defense of Half-Breeds from our unknown-assailant in the form of a new team.” Sooyoung explained.

“Sooyoung and I will assume the role of instructors, doing most of the research and diagnostics of our enemy. The three of you along with four others will be going through intensive training to prepare you to rescue and or aid Half-Breeds that are being targeted.” Yoona said.

“You’re going to send me,” Jessica said, “On missions against the people who want to kidnap me.”

“Not exactly. You out of all of the project will be receiving extensive training and will be working with me and another member in hopes of restoring your memory.” Sooyoung said.

“The Commander believes that the holes in your memory have something to do with whatever these people are planning, rather than putting you directly in battle, he chose to see if you may know something important to this mission.” Yoona said.

    The explanation made the blonde’s shoulders slump.

“So I’m being interrogated for something that I no idea about, great.” She deadpanned.

“Don’t take it so hard, this could greatly benefit you in learning your history, something we Half-breeds need to be more proud about.” Sooyoung replied.

    The idea still didn’t sit well with the blonde.

“What about me and Taeyeon?” Tiffany asked.

“Since Taeyeon has more experience than you she will be more likely to be sent on missions with me and Yoona.” Sooyoung said.

“Are we gonna know who else is a part of the project?” Taeyeon asked.

“Of course.”

   The digital screen brought up a series of names and pictures. Tiffany and Jessica recognized one of them, Amber Liu, one of the officers they met about a week prior. Next to her name was her Half-Breed type: Kitsune. Following her was a few others, their Half-Breed type next to their picture and name.

“They’ll give you more direct introductions once we arrive.” Sooyoung said as the screen disappeared.

   The transit car stopped soon after, the door sliding open automatically.  Yoona and Sooyoung stepped out first, clearing the group for entry when approached waringly by the guards. Everyone must be on edge with the Commander up and angry like this. Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Jessica followed soon after.

   The girls marveled at the sight before them. The modern building was built into the face of a cliff, hanging above the underground’s central city. Various lights illuminated the surrounding area, making it stand out from the already vibrant and constantly moving city below it. It felt like they were sitting on top of the world to Jessica, the buzz of such a sight made her giddy for the first time in days, making her smile slightly. Tiffany practically beamed at her with a knowing glance.

“Come on, keep up!” Sooyoung called as they walked, making both Tiffany and Jessica scramble behind, “There’s much more to see!”

   The doors of the building slid open before them revealing the small interior of the lobby. The walls were almost a blinding white, with splotches of red here and there. There wasn’t too much other then a few guards and some attendants pecking away at holographic screens in their stations.

“Oh! Lieutenant Sooyoung! I didn’t know you’d be in so soon!” One of the attendants spoke, pushing her screen off to her side.

“Things have gotten a bit more urgent than before, has everyone arrived?” Sooyoung asked.

   The attendant paused, eyes clearly running down the length of Sooyoung’s neck before snapping upward like nothing happened.

“Yes! All members of ‘Project Pawn’ have checked in and are settling in quite nicely!” She smiled excessively, “I’m sure they can’t wait to be under your care. You are after all one of the best instructors ever known! It’s an honor to even be working with you!”

“Laying it on thick, huh?” Jessica whispered, which promptly made Tiffany smack her lightly on the shoulder.

“Shhh!”

Sooyoung cleared .

“Yes. Good. We’ll be on our way, if you please.” Sooyoung said stiffly.

   The attendant nodded pulling up another screen before her. The wall behind her disappeared much to the girls surprise, revealing the entire faculty from top to bottom. There was a large training area, wide and battered from what seemed to be repeated use judging from the dented walls, skid marks, and scratches. From there led a staircase up to what seem to be a common area that extending a variety of unseen rooms, loaded up with various monitors and tech. They saw quite a few unfamiliar faces they could only assume were other members.

“Oh Lieutenant,” the attendant began as the group headed inside, “I do hoped you enjoyed my little gift from yesterday! Those flowers only pale in comparison to you yourself, but they were beautiful nonetheless!”

Yoona loudly and visibly scoffed while rolling her eyes, marching ahead of the group as Sooyoung sighed.

“You don’t even know where you’re going.” Sooyoung said completely ignoring the attendants frown as she followed after Yoona.

   Jessica watched as the wall reformed behind them before trekking along with the group. Taeyeon made no efforts to comment on what she saw or what they spoke about, in fact she still seemed as dazed as she was last night, glancing at everything briefly before falling back into her own thoughts. Tiffany watched her sadly as Sooyoung gave a tour.

“Hey! It’s you three again!” Tiffany and the other girls blinked in confusion before realizing who it was.

   It was Amber; she wore a bright smile as she turned to acknowledge them, waving energetically. She appeared to be wearing some kind of uniform, a pair of black fitting jeans and loose tank top with combat boots. What really surprised them however, was the fact that Amber was effectively pining what looks to be an male with stark blonde hair to the floor of the training area with one foot on his chest. He wheezed, glaring up at her in a playful manner.

“Alright, alright I give!” He said slapping his hand against he ground three times, “Now let me get up before you injure my ego more.”

“I’d never do that to you!” Amber pointed out before moving and helping him up, “You do that enough on our free nights!”

    The man rolled his eyes, shoving Amber. The two stared at each other before wrestling each other to the ground, this time with the male as victor. Amber unwillingly taps out.

“Ha! King me Liu!” He said with a grin.

“Oh grow up Jonghyun!” Amber said.

   Jonghyun continues to smile even when realeasing her, watching Amber made her way up onto her feet again while stretching his arms. He looked back at the group greeting Sooyoung first.

“Lieutenant Sooyoung, I thought they were joking when they said you’d be over this project!” Jonghyun said, “Good to see you again!”

“As to you, Jong. You can drop the titles it makes me feel like an .” Sooyoung said accepting his small hug, “Can’t seem to not see you two anywhere without the other.”

“You know it! Us Elemental stick together!” Amber said.

“Uh...Hi?” Tiffany was the first to speak up, although her greeting was more of a nervous squeak then anything.

“Oh, hello! I don’t think we’ve met before, I’m Jonghyun local salamander at your disposal!” Jonghyun said.

“Tiffany, at this is Jessica and Taeyeon. And Yoona.” Tiffany said gesturing at each person.

   Jonghyun looked over and at Yoona for a moment looking her up and down. Yoona gave her best smile.

“Been a while hasn’t it? You were at my waist last time I saw you.” Yoona noted.

“Damn, I didn’t think you’d showed up, especially with…” Jonghyun stopped Sooyoung’s cough seemingly reminding him of something, “Ah don’t worry about it, bet you can still knock me around like back then huh?”

Yoona snorted.

“Probably.” She remarked, “We can find out later.”

   The two recruits nodded with small smiles before following the group up the stairs into the common area. Lounging on the couch was another girl with long brown hair and a pair of shades on. She was wearing a uniform similar to Amber only instead of jeans she wore black shorts and a jacket that Yoona found reminsince to the Commanders. She must be one of Sooyoung’s officers.

“Minzy? You awake?” Sooyoung asked once she made her way to the girls side, snapping her fingers in front of her face.

   Minzy jolted, letting out a small yelp as her sunglasses fell off her face. Jessica gapped when she saw the girls eyes, they were a hollow black, her pupils non existent. It was only for a split second before Minzy blinked, and they retorted to a natural dark brown.

“Huh?” She asked.

“Blanked out on us a little while ago, you good?” Amber asked.

   There was second or two pause before Minzy sat up scratching her head with a smile.

“Yeah, I’m alright! Had to let my powers run their course since it’s been a while since I was on an active project like this.” Minzy replied.

“It’s great to see you.” Sooyoung noted smiling slightly.

“Is this everyone?” Taeyeon asked.

“Hmm, Seohyun said not to bother her for debrief. She said she already went over everything herself and had some work to do.” Amber noted.

   Everyone settled in, with Tiffany, Jessica, and Taeyeon sitting together across from Minzy and the others.  Sooyoung stepped up to the center, rolling her sleeve up to reveal a holographic folder projected by her watch. She presses it, syncing it with the monitor sitting in front of the couch, the mission's name blinking to life.

“Alright,” Yoona started, “You four should know already that when it comes to missions dictated by the Commander that any and all information can only be exchanged between those involved, anyone who breaks this commitment may lost their status and could be taken in for treason.”

“Amber, Minzy, Jonghyun as our resident mages, you will be paired with Jessica. Despite you’re powers being extremely different, the two of you should be able to provide her enough support to get her on her feet.” Yoona said, Sooyoung in turn pulled up each person’s image and grouping them together.

   She labeled the group as ‘Development Group.’

   Jessica glanced over at the who would be her mentors; the three of them eagerly smiled at her, easing the sense of dread building in her stomach.

“Tiffany you will be working with Seohyun” Sooyoung noted, pulling Tiffany and Seohyun into another group labeled as ‘Seeker Group, “Due to the nature of your half bread types, the three of you may or may not be used to gather information regarding the enemy once we deem you as fit.”

   Tiffany deflated a bit, the idea of being apart from either Jessica or Taeyeon bothered her, mostly because she felt the need to support both of them unconditionally. It didn’t help that it seemed her mentor wasn’t really keen on meeting her or any of the others. She took to memorize the girls face, short brown hair and doe-like eyes, and made a mental note to speak to Yoona about her.

“That leaves me, Yoona, and Taeyeon. We will be overseeing much of the combat training both physical and weapon based, however majority of the time we will be in meetings with other officials and doing recons in other bases looking for more info on the threat.” Sooyoung said labelling themselves as ‘Representative Group.’

“Wait, so our three strongest members aren’t going to be here half the time?” Jessica asked, “That seems a bit counter intuitive.”

“It’s for the sake of keeping appearance. ‘Project Pawn’ isn’t known to the public to prevent widespread panic, and to keep information internalized. We’ll be around, just not as much as expected. Don’t worry, you’ll be safe here regardless of what happens.” Yoona said.

“Tonight, use this as a time to get to know each other. Understand that while you are all different, we share a common goal: Protecting our own and Protecting Humans from our world.” Sooyoung added, “As of today you are a team. Taeyeon you can mingle as you wish, tomorrow we will discuss other plans. Dismiss.”


And there it is! It took me a minute and bunch of going back and forward making sure I was consistant, but there it is! I spent a lot and I mean A LOT of time trying to figure out who to put in the team arranged by our Commander Leetuek, Sooyoung, and Yoona, and I chose to pick idols who I thought would be interesting to mix with the girls. I started to realize half way through that I've only been using SM artists as my designated Half Breeds so far and it didn't quite feel right since they're so many groups out there with a variety of pesonalities, so I ended up adding Minzy cause I love her and thought it would be cool to have her. This is also, if you don't notice, the longest chapter I've ever written. I've gotten used to writing huge chunks of things so unlike previous chapters which came out to be 4 or 5 pages, this is at least 10 and half.

Now that 'Project Pawn' has official begun, between our main girls and our new cast there is bound to be some trouble ahead.Taeyeon will have to keep her intentions with Sunny hidden from Yoona and Sooyoung, but Yoona is already suspicious of her. Jessica and Tiffany will be seperated for the first time in a while since they've met, so expect some little moments here and there between them grow. Don't worry! They're not always gonna be apart, I mean what kind of JeTi story would this be if the main couple didn't interact; though it's gonna be a lot more of Jessica hashing out her feelings about Tiffany and Tiffany trying really hard to get Jessica to like her more. 

Anyway, we are now at 30 upvotes, 226 subscribers, and  9552 views! Thanks to those who upvoted:

TotoroLoverForever

Thank you all for reading this chapter and encouraging me to continue! See you later my Ghouls and Ghosts!

GHOSTKEEPER