Stuck in Between the Void and A Hard Place

Myth

    Taeyeon had felt many things when it was revealed that Sunny was with the enemy. Disbelief. Disappointment. Anger. Confusion. Grief. Sadness. Such emotions were typically healthy and normal for someone who found out that their once best friend was now out for your head.  Though, those emotions never her left her in a place like this.

    She decided to call this place the ‘The Void’. A place where she was quite literally drifting in empty darkness with no sense of direction or recollection of what brought her here in the first place. All she can remember is Sunny’s descending figure and her fading steps into the unknown. She can remember feeling pain, more pain than she’s ever felt in her life. She only felt this once, and it was because of the same matter. Sunny had left her, alone, cold, and confused once again.

    The memory was faded, dull even, but it was there. Suddenly Taeyeon is in her youth, happy, navie making flower crowns for her mother, then roaming with her brother around their little forgotten home on the edge of a village plantation, shrouded by trees. The villagers were opted to stay away from the family for reasons that Taeyeon could not understand at her age, but Sunny...Sunny was different. She remembers it clearly, Sunny and her grandfather were traveling together as Merchants, and they had taking up residence in the town.

She was the same age as Taeyeon, boyish, childish, and bubbling with energy. There weren’t a lot of girls in the village that were willing to play the games Sunny wanted to play, the ones where you’d get dirty before bursting in laughter at the other. Yes, this place was much different from her old home, but she wouldn’t let her grandfather know that.

    It was a brief encounter, Sunny teetered at the edge of the village, giggling and squealing. But then something grabs her attention. Someone was humming, a slow and soft tune that was almost hypnotizing to the young girl. Sunny was determined to find out where it was coming from, so she walked. Following the sound, step by step, it got louder.

    Next thing she knew, she was deep within the grove, a place that the other children feared to tread. Some said that the grove would swallow lost children while, others said that it was just unmanned terrain riddled with monsters and traps. Though, that didn’t stop Sunny at all.

Then she saw her.

    There sitting on a tree stump was Taeyeon, smiling softly and humming. She was yet again making flower crowns, this one made of wildflowers that Sunny had never seen before. Taeyeon only looked up once, and that was because Sunny had fell forward trying to listen more. Sunny had opened to speak.

“Soonkyu!” Her grandfather's call had made Taeyeon flinched.

“W-Wait! I just wanna talk to you!” Sunny called out, but it was too late. Taeyeon had already gotten up and disappeared into the trees. Sunny pouted, before picking up the discarded flower crown that was left behind.

    That was only the beginning, Taeyeon remembered. Sunny would come time and time again, and Taeyeon would run time and time again. Hide-and-Seek, is what Sunny would later call it. There friendship was inevitable, and Taeyeon never felt her heart swell so much.  She had never had a friend from the village before. Actually she never stepped a foot outside the grove, it was all because of the fact that she was---

“You're taking awhile to wake up, you know."

    A familiar voice called out to her. Taeyeon opened before her lips curled up in a snarl. Venom dripped in her words.

“Traitor.”

    Taeyeon’s back was now pressed against a wooden chair. All around her were plain gray walls, then in front of her was nothing but another chair. She wasn’t quite sure if this was reality or a jail cell. She couldn’t move her limbs, it was almost like they were glued in place.  Then a single door was edged into the wall and it opens. Someone steps inside. She growls.

“Sunny.”

“Hey….” The girl’s tone was soft. Taeyeon narrows her eyes as Sunny approaches.

“It’s been awhile, I’m surprised you were even able to recognize me.” Sunny added. Taeyeon eyes scanned over her, without the hood and dark clothing she could see everything.

Sunny’s hair had grown far past her shoulders, her eyes hardened by what Taeyeon assumed was constant training. She wore nothing but a simple pair of black pants and a tank top, revealing various symbols that were permanently edged into white skin. They reached from the top of her shoulders down to her elbows. Taeyeon recognized most of them as spell markings, things that were only given to the most gifted of Magicians and Sorcerers. Half-breeds like the girl were rare, very rare.

“My, you’ve grown to be a beautiful women Taeyeon. I mean look---”

“Cut the bull.” Taeyeon said coldly.

“Well then, I can see your impatient as always.” She replied taking the seat in front of her.

“Before I can tell you anything, I need to ask…” Sunny said.

“How long can you wait for me?” Taeyeon simply stared.

“Ten years? A decade? Give me a number.” Sunny added. Taeyeon says nothing. Sunny eventually sighs.

“I came to warn you. There isn’t much time before everything ends.”

“What are you talking about?” Taeyeon asked.

“Oh come on you're not stupid, surely you know what a revolution in its making looks like.” Sunny said with a smile.

“Is that what you're really calling it? A revolution? You’re asking for the elimination of an entire race.” Taeyeon spat back.

“It’s inevitable. Everything up to this point and onward has already been planned out. Keeping that girl away from us is only going to cause trouble for everyone.” Sunny said.

“Her name is Jessica, and she means a lot to my friend. Though, you don’t seem like the person to understand friendship huh?” Taeyeon said harshly. Sunny didn’t even flinch before replying monotonously.

“She’ll fall into line like all the others...I suggest you give up while you can.”

    It took a lot for Taeyeon not to shout and scream. It took her a lot not to spit fowl words and demeaning phrases. And it took a lot for her not to just break down sobbing. She knew that Sunny wasn’t actually there, that the girl was probably doing some kind of transmission from some far away land. But to be so close, yet so far...it was driving her insane.

“I’m doing this in your best interest Taeyeon, when you wake up I hope you can make the right decision.” Sunny said.

“Do you remember what you said to me the day you left?” Taeyeon asked. Sunny paused.

“You were leaving because your grandfather found out what you were, what I was, but you didn’t tell me that directly cause you didn’t want to see me sad, but you failed terribly.” Taeyeon continued. She smiled for a moment remembering briefly.

 

“Why do you have to go? Are you coming back?”

“We’re different you and I, Taeyeon.”

“What? You’re not making any sense.”

“Promise me things will get better okay? That we’ll both grow up to be big and strong and happy. Promise me that.”

 

“Do you know what I told you?” Taeyeon asked. Sunny stared aimlessly.

 

"I-I promise! From now until forever!"

“That's...that’s good Taeyeon...I have to go now.”

“B-But you haven’t told me why yet!”

“Sometimes you don’t need a reason. Have some fate will ya? I won’t be gone long!”

 

“And for all it’s worth I’m not going back on it. Not when so many people depend on me now.” Taeyeon stated. This time, the girl before her smiled sadly and her gaze softened.

“A promise is a promise, I guess...” Sunny spoke softly. She reached out, her fingers grazing Taeyeon’s arm ever so slightly. Taeyeon resisted the urge to shout once again. Sunny paused before pulling back, her arm now hanging limply at her side. 

“You have a lot to learn, that’s for sure. I'll see you later, Taeyeon.” In that moment reality seemed to shatter between the two girls. All Taeyeon could see after that was Sunny crumbling away into the Void.


 

    When Taeyeon came to, she didn’t expect any of this. She didn't expect to wake up in the center of what appears to be a highly advanced underground city. Tall columns stretched to the ceiling, as buildings appeared to be built directly into the walls with bridges connect those high above the ground. Amazing, it was like something out of a--

“Hault! You are in a restricted area! Either stand down or be detained!”

Taeyeon directed her attention to those around her. There were at least eight people, some more distinguishable than others, standing around them, all were armed. Tiffany only glanced back at her once before getting into a fighting stance as Yoona approached the group hands raised. Jessica was close behind.

“Fellow Half-Breeds, we mean no harm. We have only come for safety and we carry viable information meant for those of great importance.” Yoona said calmly.  

“Of great importance? Either tell us what business you have here or else we will force it out of you.” One of them stated.

“Okay, we don’t have to go that far, just have one of your officers come down, they’ll be sure to recognize---”

“I was hoping I would see you here.” Yoona paused. The eight people all stood up straight, there weapons lowered as a tall woman walked up from behind.

She was about Yoona’s height, with short brown hair stopping just above her shoulders, dark brown eyes, and a thin smile. Her outfit consisted of a white blouse with a black vest on top, wine-colored pants and knee-high boots. Strapped to her waist were two holsters, the hilts of two swords did not go unnoticed.

“Lieutenant! We found these outsiders attempting to sneak into---”

“Yoona is an old friend of mine and is highly ranked, you don’t need to worry….” The girl said.

“Lieutenant, eh? That’s not a title to be swinging around lightly, Sooyoung.” Yoona said dully. The girl chuckles, causing the other Half-Breeds to glance at each other in curiousity.

“A lot can happen in three years, Yoona, you know that.” Sooyoung replied.

“And I assume that you know why I’m here?” Yoona asked, completely ignoring the statement.

“I wouldn’t have been called back to HQ if I didn’t.” Sooyoung replied. There was a long pause before Sooyoung cleared .

“We have some catching up to do, but I’m sure you need your friends need to rest. Victoria, Amber.” Two of the females jumped when they heard their names called. They stepped forward.

“Take them to one of our resident complexes. As for the rest of you, you are dismissed.” Sooyoung said. 

“Yes Ma'am!” Tiffany helps Taeyeon up to her feet, squeezing her arm slightly as they followed the two girls. Yoona waited until Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Jessica we’re out of earshot before turning to Sooyoung with a glare.

“I don't care if you are my superior, I will end you. Don't you dare act like I can't.” Yoona said.

“Wouldn’t act like it, even if they payed me to.” Sooyoung said.

“Come, we have much to discuss with the Commander.”

Yoona glanced after the others for a moment before treading slowly behind Sooyoung.


I FINALLY UPDATED, YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!! (confetti goes everywhere and I do a small victory dance). This chapter was certainly one of my difficult ones, I can't tell you how many times I had to copy, paste, erase, and re-type this because I felt like it was either too jumbled or I could write a specific part better. Then when I tried to upload it earlier the format was off that I deleted the entire thing.

Anyway! Sunny communicates with Taeyeon through a mindscape transmission, which is a really fancy way of saying Sunny warped Taeyeon's dream-state. She's kinda a jerk at that point, trying to influence Taeyeon to give up the fight and hand over Jessica, but in end with Taeyeon being stubborn, Sunny disappears once more. Then here she is, Lieutenant Choi Sooyoung, in all her glory and power!  And Yoona is not ammused. Not at all. But the girls have finally arrived at HQ, a underground base overflowing with other Half-Breeds, and hopefully will be able to stay safe long enough to come up with a plan to stop this so-called "Revolution" Sunny speaks of! 

Now, we are stand with 176 subs, 6145 views, and a total of 21 upvotes! I hope you enjoy this chapter and will continue to stick with me till the very end! I will try to upload the next chapter soon, until next time!

Peace out my Ghouls and Ghosts!

GHOSTKEEPER