Train Wreck

Myth

It’s late afternoon and Taeyeon was sitting alone, staring blankly at the wall, deep in thought. Taeyeon was suppose to the reliable one, the one the others can depend on, the one who always have her head on straight.  But her mind has been such a mess lately, bringing back memories or making her think someone was there, and she didn’t like it. It stirred unknown worry in , but all she could do is swallow it and act like everything’s okay.

 

    Her top priority was to keep Tiffany and Jessica safe, or at least train them enough that they can protect themselves. Yoona informed her that once they made it to HQ, it was likely she would be asked to become a mentor for fellow Half-Breed trainees. It was obvious Taeyeon had more experience in using her powers for self-defense more than most Half-Breeds, making the position perfect for her. Also with her knowledge of the growing threat, she could back Yoona up when it was time to talk to the leaders of the Half-Breed community.

 

    She would probably be labeled as a leader in the process.

 

“Like always.” Taeyeon mumbled. She just wished that she could get a brea--

 

“TaeTae!” Tiffany’s voice snapped her out of her trance. The girl leaned back into the couch and saw Tiffany approaching her.

 

“Yoona says we should get going while there’s still daylight, it would be difficult to catch a ride at night.” Tiffany said with a cheerful smile. The girl paused and studied Taeyeon's face for a moment.

 

“Are you okay? You look like someone just slapped you across the face.” Tiffany said.

 

“I’m just tired, the past few days haven’t exactly been relaxing...is Jessica ready to go?” Taeyeon asked dismissing the girls concern.  

 

“She’s already with Yoona, we’re just waiting on you.” Tiffany replied, the suspicion never leaving her voice. Taeyeon stands up and stretching a little.

 

“Come let’s go then.”

 

    The moment she stepped outside, Taeyeon felt her body relax slightly, the cool air pressed itself against her as she followed Tiffany.

 

“You know Tae, things are probably gonna be really different from now on. With crooks and villains practically hunting us down and questions still unanswered, things may never be the same.” Tiffany said.

 

“Things were much easier when we were younger, don’t you think?” Tiffany asked. Taeyeon hadn’t been paying attention, but she gave a short nod as she got lost in her thoughts once more.

 

“Finally you guys made it! Though we’d have to leave without you.” Taeyeon’s gaze met Yoona and she finally took in her surroundings.

 

As of right now they were standing on the edge of golden fields that Taeyeon ran through earlier. Under her feet was solid rock and around her were tall walls of stone reaching towards the sky. Jessica gave her a smug smile while she sat on a stack of rocks. Everyone had packed light, holding onto backpacks filled with clothes and normal necessities for traveling. Yoona was the only one who carried nothing but a fairly large rectangular case.

 

“You haven’t exactly told us how we were getting to this HQ of yours.” Jessica said. Yoona beamed a smile at her before turning to face the right wall.

 

She grabs on a piece of stone and pulls. Something gives away immediately, and Yoona swings a door open, revealing a set of stairs that traveled god-knows-where. Dusting off her hands, she glanced back at the girls before heading down the stairs. Tiffany and Jessica followed after her. Taeyeon waited for a moment, listening to the rush of the wind, the sounds of animals near by. She stares at stairway then glances behind her

 

“Taeyeon come on!” Tiffany shouted.

 

Taeyeon shook any and all thoughts from her head before heading down as well. She felt the door close behind her, cutting her off from the outside. Taeyeon sighs but ventures after her friends. The poorly lit staircase seem to go on forever, until they came to another door. Yoona pushed it open and bright lights flickered on. Taeyeon felt her jaw drop at the sight.

 

“Woah….” Who would have know underneath the property would be a full, and hopefully operational, train system. Of course, the place wasn’t as high tech as the one in the city, but it was in impressive condition. Yoona walks over to what looks like a control panel and press a couple of the buttons.

 

“This should have us at HQ before the sunsets.” Yoona said as a the doors for a passenger train shifted and opened automatically.

 

“You just so happen to have this, under your place?” Jessica asked.

 

“If it makes you feel better, I haven’t used it since I was a little kid when my parents were around.” A pang of sadness had spread across Yoona’s face for a split second but was replaced with a bright smile. Yoona hops onto the train without another word.

 

“Do you even know how to drive this thing?” Taeyeon asked. Yoona smiles once the girls board the train and the doors shut.

 

“It drives itself.” The sound of a roaring engine caused Jessica and Tiffany to flinch as they were jerked forward. Taeyeon had grabbed onto one of the support beams as the train moved forward. Yoona was unphased.

 

“All you gotta do is bunch in some coordinates and it takes you there in a flash! Awesome right?” Yoona asked.
 

“A little bit of warning next time would be nice.” Jessica said.

 

“Heh, sorry, I guess I’m use to it.” Yoona replied. Just as the girls regain their composure, the train barrelled back into the outside word. Taeyeon glanced out the window and saw everything pass by in a slight blur. Trees, ground, all faded into nothing. The outline of the city disappeared the father the train went.

 

“There’s no going back.” Taeyeon thought.

 


 

Tiffany and Jessica had fallen asleep midway through the ride. The two girls had sat together, Jessica took the spot closest to the window and Tiffany right next to her despite the blondes protests. Tiffany had ended up leaning her head on the blondes shoulder while Jessica had her arm propped up under her chin in an effort to gaze out the window. Taeyeon sat in front of them doodling in a notebook she brought along.

 

The snap from a camera caught her attention as she looked to her right. Yoona grinned with a camera in one hand and a picture in the other.

 

“Gotta take pictures while they’re like that. Jessica’s probably gonna flip when she wakes up.” Yoona said.

 

“Which is why I don’t get why you’re taking it in the first place.” Taeyeon replied. Yoona paused but her smile never falters.

 

“Well, I gotta keep the memories somehow.” She stated. Taeyeon chuckles slightly and hears the camera click again. Taeyeon tilts her head with a frown.

 

“Memories.” Yoona claimed with a shrug before stick the photos into her jacket pocket.  Taeyeon sighed and looked back at her notebook.

 

“You know, I’m actually curious about something.” Yoona said.

 

“And that would be?” Taeyeon asked not bothering to look at the girl.

 

“What’s the child of a Forest Nymph doing hanging out with an under-trained Summoner and a Yuki-onna?” Yoona asked. Taeyeon felt her body tense up.

 

“It’s an honest question. Forest Nymphs are peaceful and tend to avoid conflict altogether while enjoying the adventurous outdoors. They’re very playful, but here you are charging into what may be civil war. ” Yoona added. Taeyeon sighed before answering.

 

“Someone’s been doing their research. Did you also know we are also very easily angered and can lash out violently if you annoy them?” Taeyeon replied. There was a long pause before a stray chuckle came from Yoona.

 

“Yeah, but that’s only if there friends are endanger.” Yoona said.

 

“I haven’t decided if I considered you a friend or not.”

 

“Seeing that I’m helping you protect those two over there, I’d consider me as one.”

 

“You’re really cocky.”

 

“I prefer the term prideful, now answer the question.”

 


    As the train made its way down the track, two hooded figures watched it from a top of a cliff.

 

“Do it.” A husky voice ordered. The smallest figure stepped forward raising a shortbow over head, a blue tipped arrow was loaded. Pause. Then fire.

 

The arrow went whizzing through the air and embedded itself in the rock a couple feet from the front of the train. It glows before exploded into a fit of ice, growing upward to form a wall. The train hits at full speed.


 

    Taeyeon and Yoona continued to chat away. At least until they felt the impact of the main haul meet frozen wall, causing the car they were sitting to jerk backwards. Jessica groaned when Tiffany landed on top of her, Taeyeon swore, and Yoona was perfectly unmoved.

 

“What the heck happened?” Jessica asked as Tiffany sat up rubbing her head.

 

“We've been tracked.” Yoona said. The sound of something hitting the top of one of the train cars, caused the girls to flinch.

 

“Move.” Yoona’s voice had went dark. Jessica and TIffany looked at her fearfully. Footsteps moved downward

 

“MOVE!” Yoona barked. Jessica and Tiffany scrambled to their feet and moved further back in the cart. Taeyeon swallowed harshly before digging in her bag for something. She pulls out a metal cylinder about the size of her palm. Yoona sets her case on the floor and opens it up.

 

“Taeyeon, you only attack when your friends are in danger right?” Yoona asked.  Something else hits the top of the car and moves downward as well.

 

Now perched high on Yoona’s shoulder was a sword about twice her size. Her face was emotionless as her eyes were trained on the exit. Taeyeon felt her blood run cold at the sight of  someone kicking in the door. The metal cylinder she held automatically extends into an iron-clad staff as she stands up. Two people step inside, cloaked in black. Only one of them is armed, but that didn’t dismiss the threatening aura surround both of them.

 

“Consider them, and us, in danger.”


DUH DUH DUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!!! You guys probably thought they were safe, that they'd make it to HQ in one piece, but they aren't out of harms way yet. The girls have been ambushed by the enemy once again, and with Tiffany still injured and Jessica only recently becoming aware of the threat and her own history, it's up to Taeyeon and Yoona to protect their lives. 

 

My Exams went amazingly fast and I am now on Winter Break! Meaning more time for me to write and update this story, and trust me I have A LOT of ideas for whats gonna happen next. The story has only just begun!

 

I wanna give LL2014 my upmost thanks because of her incredibly nice comment about this story. I can't even describe how big of a smile I got from reading that comment, it certainly made me look forward to updating again. I've always had some kind of talent with mythical stories, this one is one of many I've written! The concept here was literally something I thought up out of the blue; I did a ton of research on different kinds of legends and myths that would fit each character based on personality, possible backgrounds, and etc. It's nice knowning I'm doing a great job with the way I'm trying to flow each chapter into the next and how I'm buidling the characters up one by one.

 

So thanks! Not only to you but to everyone who has commented and read this story! You guys are AWESOME with a capital A!

Now then on to the usual, we have moved up to 4985 views, 163 subscribers, and 17 upvotes! Thank you to those who have recently upvoted the story:

LL2014

151Kamii

 Look out for my next update! Until Next Time, My Ghouls and Ghosts!

GHOSTKEEPER