Wicked Game

Barefooted
Please log in to read the full chapter

Eunjung's P.O.V 

At the door, Seunghyun greeted a member from the staff. And the young male told him he will have to go on stage in some minutes, and I was glad the interruption came, but he asked the man at the door for a brief break, and I knew he wasn’t done with me yet.

Without much thought, Seunghyun thanks the staff member, and closes the door after him. He, then, turns to me and before he can open his mouth to speak I interject, “I will take my leave now.”

“Eunjung, listen, this conversation isn’t over,” he said firmly, but his tone sounded kind of unsure, for what I took the opportunity to clap back, “no, we won’t have this conversation again. And I believe you have to go on stage, so this is pointless right now." 

I made the motion to leave, but before I could step a foot out of my previous spot, Seunghyun crosses the room and stops right in front of me, preventing me from taking a step forward. I sighed in defeat, and didn't bother to hide my annoyance, it honestly couldn't be any more painfully obvious. 

“We won’t have this conversation again if we finish it now," he said. 

Damn it.

He thought way too highly of himself, he thought he was that smart with his words. But, in my defense, he didn’t sound all that confident.

What was he so insecure about?

I raised a brow at him, and let out an exasperated huff at his words, “you won’t make me stay, not now, not today, not tomorrow, just… no.”

“Try me,” his eyes stared right back at me, or more like, through me.

I scoffed at that, but prevented myself from rolling my eyes at him. He was seriously testing my patience at the moment, and was sure he was enjoying it. I felt myself boiling as my mind wandered on, I was sure he was entertaining the thought of being able to step on my limits and push me further as if I could keep on holding into my sanity. “This isn’t some kind of stupid game you can play over and over again with me, you know that, right?”

Seunghyun treaded a hand through his hair, pushing some loose, jet black strands back, and then proceeded to let out a brief huff, “what are you even talking about? This is not some game for me, I’m being totally serious. Why won’t you believe me? I honestly don't understand you.”

As a matter of fact, a long time ago, I stopped taking you seriously, I wanted to argue back, but I bit my tongue and banned the words from slipping out of my mouth. 

Arguing wasn’t reasonable, not when I wanted to leave the room and end the futile conversation. 

His daring eyebrows darted up in a frown, “what? You don’t have anything to say?”

I finally decided to roll my eyes at him, “oh, believe me, I have a lot to say – more than you can imagine - but I will stay quiet for your sake and mine as well.”

“Why can’t you just be honest with me?”

The truth hurts, that’s why.

He didn’t wait for my response, and instead proceeded, “I’m not dumb. I don’t know where this conversation is leading to, or what are you trying to do, but I’m not blind,” he sighed, and I hated what he implied, “don’t lie to me, you can’t fool me.”

Oh, but how well you had fooled me many times before.

Seunghyun seemed to be expecting me to say something, anything at all, but I refused to give him what he wanted, so I remained quiet all throughout the whole ordeal and managed to just stare back at him.

It was as if we were in a mental battle, and the first one to break down was to end up being the loser.

Many times before, I lost to him. I always ended up as the foolish character in this mental war, and - for once - I wanted to take the lead, and be in control of my reactions.

He simply stared back at me, and I felt the pressure of the packed room pressing down in on us. It was almost exhausting to hold a firm gaze as I felt myself slowly losing the ability to breathe properly, my intakes of air became shorter with every coursing second.

We stayed, maybe, 3 or 4 minutes staring at each other in complete silence, no words were needed, no words were exchange. Our eyes did all the talking, since neither of us dared to address the tense atmosphere taking over the room and polluting the air.

Nobody was knocking in the door, no calls were entering my phone, nobody was there to interrupt, and I hated how everything seemed to be playing in slow motion. It was as if time was drifting back.

The pressure was too much to take, and just when I thought I will the first one to break the asphyxiating silence, Seunghyun shifted in his position.

He unfolded his arms, and let them hang on both sides, before he parted his lips to speak, “please say something, your silence is killing me. We won’t get anywhere at this pace. I

Please log in to read the full chapter