Odd

Barefooted
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Eunjung's P.O.V 

 

I didn’t know why my body was reacting this way, why it didn’t react my way. I felt so embarrassed to even admit I blush with just one stare, a y alluring stare I should add.

But that wasn’t what worried me the most. I started to be self-conscious of what was crossing through my mind the moment he opened his mouth to say the true. And the true is we are not dating. I am still questioning myself why did I feel disappointed. What did I expected after all? I was no longer tease about him, but was that what I really wanted?

I know I am in deep trouble when I don’t know what I feel about this. It’s like my heart wants something but my brain thinks otherwise, but I don’t know what my heart wants, I don’t even know what I am involving my heart in this whole situation.

Every time he turned to stare at me an odd felling will take over my body and I would feel a shiver running down my spine, and this started to freak me out, but I conserve a neutral expression, there was no way he was seeing me fluster. This night was going smoothly without anymore teasing. I like it better this way.

I thought my expression was neutral, that there was no signs of me being fluster in anyway but I guess my burning cheeks gave away. I could only sigh as Jaeri turned to me with a grin plastered on her face. There was no way she didn’t notice my oddly quiet behavior while the others talk about random topics.

She elbowed me, and I only knew one thing, I wanted to go. I wanted to go now.

“Eunjung, are you okay?” She whisper in a worry tone but the grin on her face made me confuse about how she really meant what she said, but I ended up answering.

“I-I am okay.” Perfect, I just have to stutter. “But, can we go now.”

When I said the last part she turned completely to face me. “Why?”

“I am feeling uncomfortable.” I simply responded. Couldn’t she note my behavior?

 

This time the grin faded and was replace instead with a frown. “Why?”

Why so many questions today? Why everyone thinks I have an answer for every question? And even if I did have it, will they still be pleased with it? Because my members weren’t really satisfied with the answers I gave them, after all I didn’t lie to them. Some people did like to hear lies instead.

Jaeri noted that I was weirdly spacing out and cut my thoughts the moment she wave a hand in front of me, but when I drift back to reality I mentally slap myself. Why? Just why? Why did I have to space out while staring at T.O.P. I am so embarrassing!

I rolled my eyes when he smirk at me, and turned to face Jaeri again. This time if I space out I will make sure to look at anything else but him.

“Eunjung.” Jaeri waved her hand again. “Why are you spacing out so much?”

“Sorry, Jaeri.” I started. “What were you talking about?”

Jaeri sighed. “I was asking you what made you feel uncomfortable, but then you randomly spaced out.”

I didn’t respond.

“See.” Jaeri cut. “You are doing it again.”

“What?” I was listening, I didn’t respond but I was listening. “I listened.”

“Then respond me?” She made it sound like a question.

I swore Jaeri cab be really confusing sometimes. “Umh, eh…I…Is not that I am uncomfortable, it’s just that I want to go.”

“Why?” She raised an eyebrow.

“Because I...I…”Okay, I should have think of an excuse when I space out, because now I was staring awkwardly at her trying to mumble an excuse that made actual sense. “I…I am tired?” That wasn’t so bad. “Yes…I am tired.”

I put on my best act and fake a sleepy yawn. I think she actually bought it by the look she gave me, and my theory was prove the moment she nodded.

Perfect, one down another to go. But Yoomi was harder, with a simple yawn I will not convince her to go, not when she looked like staying with her boyfriend all night.

Jaeri stood up and went to Yoomi’s side before leaning closer to her.

Whatever she mumble made Yoomi turned to face me. And by the look on her face I knew she was slightly annoy, I knew she wouldn’t buy my excuse, but at least I try. Doesn’t I deserve some credit for that?

Just when I thought we were going to stay two more hours, my hero in shining armour, well…more like lady in shining apron stopped in front of the table.

All heads turned to her, and I swore those words that left her lips were like music to my ears. A soft melody to sleep at night, it was a heaven’s sign that sometimes things could work out the way I wanted them to.

“I’m really sorry guys, but the cafe is closing. We rarely close this early at 12, but I need to.” That’s why she said, but of course not everything was cream and peaches. “You can come back tomorrow night, and I will make sure to give you discounts and reserve this area for you guys. Once again, I’m sorry.”

No, why did she had to give them weird ideas? There was no way I was being drag back here tomorrow night.

“Don’t worry, we were thinking about leaving anyway. Thank you for the service so far, and we will make sure to come back tomorrow.” The weird ideas worked great in Seungho.

I could only sighed again. Well at least we were biding our farewells now…or that I thought.

We exited the cafe and went I stepped outside the cool breeze of the night caressed my cheek, but the cold didn’t bother me.

Yoomi locked her arm around me and smiled.

I smiled back at her, not really sure why she was smiling.

“So?” I asked. The smile in her face meant no harm, but the intention behind it started to tickle a weird feeling in my stomach.

It was that feeling again, the feeling that something bad was about to happen. But what could possibly go wrong when we were biding our farewells, nothing abnormal about saying goodbye and parting ways.

“I am leaving with Seungho, and Jaeri told me she needed to take the car and drive somewhere alone.”

The last part was weird. I wasn’t going to be a third wheel inside Seungho’s car, but I thought that maybe Jaeri could drive me back to the dorm. After the encounter with that creepy- man I rethink the possibilities of walking alone at night.

But, why did Jaeri needed to go alone? Where was she going at this hour anyway?

Then the whole feeling and the odd smile in Yoomi’s face sank on me. I realize how gullible I was. Jaeri was not going anywhere at this hour alone, first of all Yoomi will drag her with her as the responsible cousin she is; and second, Jaeri was too much of a coward to drive alone even if it meant to drive to her dorm at the university.

Something was off, I could sense it. But as weird as it felt I couldn’t think of anything. My mind was blank, until the deep voice of the man I wanted to avoid was heard behind me. I didn’t want to turn and face him, I have enough of my body reacting weirdly to his intense stares. I didn’t know what he say, but I knew he was behind me, and his proximity ran shivers down my spine.

I needed to go now, even if that meant walking the street alone, because there was no sign of a taxi. Where was my heaven’s sign now?

“Goodbye, Eunjung.” Jaeri’s voice ringed in my ear. She smiled when I turn to face her slightly startled, and she pulled me into a tight hug. “Be careful and arrive safe to the dorm. Text me when you get back. Okay?’

It was now or never. “But wait, Jaeri, you can make sure I arrive safe if you take me to the dorm instead.”

She pulled away from the hug and opened to say something, but she didn’t mumble a sound, she instead raised her gaze and stare at Yoomi before turning back to me.

These two were planning something behind my back, and it didn’t felt nice to be left out of whatever it was. Did they forgot I didn’t like surprises? Because I think I was very clear.

Jaeri’s smirk send off another alarm, and that odd feeling in my stomach came back. And no, I was not hungry, but I started to believe my stomach have some sort of sixth sense.

"So, Jaeri, can I go with you?” I asked her. I knew I looked desperate by the way I pull her into another tight hug, but I didn’t care by the time being.

Jaeri chuckled, and that wasn’t a good sign. Why was everybody against me? Even my body reacted against my will when Mr. whose name I don’t want to mention stared at me.

“I’m sorry, Jung. Let’s plan something for next time. I am really sorry, I hope you can forgive after this.”

Why so dramatic? I understand she couldn’t take me with her, but why apologize like that? Again something was off and Jaeri’s weird apology only confirmed what I fear. The thing is I didn’t know what I was fearing. I fear the intentions behind Yoomi’s smile and Jaeri’s apology.

These were the times when I blame my brain for working and analyzing the situations so damn slow. If I weren’t there I am pretty sure Yoomi and Jaeri will be laughing madly at my confusion.

“Well, time to go, everybody.” Seungho announced.

Those were the words I was hoping to hear the moment I started walking up the stairs to the third floor, but those same words now make me fear what was coming next, so I decided to step in.

I stepped forward and turned my body back forgetting for a moment that T.O.P was behind me. I face him and gave him a press smile before waving a hand to the group. “Goodbye everybody, it was fun meeting you guys. Have a goodnight.” I declared and was about to turned my body to the lonely sidewalk and leave, when Yoomi’s voice interrupted my actions.

“Where are you going?” She asked, and she sounded worry, but something about her loud tone alerted me. Great, it was about time my brain starts to function.

“I am walking back to the dorm.” I stated the obvious, where I was going this late anyway? I doubt something around here will be open at 12.

“Walk alone?” Jaeri asked this time.

“Yes.” I responded. Was the guilt started consuming her?

“You can’t walk alone.” T.O.P suddenly spoke.

His husky voice surprised me, not because I didn’t knew it was that deep, but because he was involving himself in something he shouldn’t care about. I mean, the dorm is near, just 5 to 6 blocks from here, I can walk.

“I-I…” I cleared my throat after stuttering. “I can walk to the dorm.” I manage to say avoiding his eyes. I avoided his gaze, but as I did I notice the smirk forming in Yoomi’s lips.

“Are you sure?” He asked again.

I just simply nodded. No need to be worry. I can run alone, no need to walk. If I run I might get faster to the dorm and avoid the creepy- men, but as I think of the possibility it dawned on me that I was wearing heels.

Crap, the world was against me. No doubt about it.

“You can’t walk alone.” Yoomi’s voice cut through, and the earlier smirk was gone replace by a frown, but again something was off.

“Well, I should get going.” Jaeri announced and bid her farewells before giving an apologetic stare. I should have speak and stopped her, but she was already crossing the street.

Without Jaeri I was officially going to walk alone, but I hoped maybe Yoomi and Seungho will drive me to the dorm, even if that meant to be the awkward third wheel in the car. Yeah, at this point I was sure I could’ve endure it.

“Then we are parting ways too. Goodnight guys, it was fun tonight.” Yoomi spoke.

And there goes my hope.

“Eunjung, call me when you get back.” She smiled at me and locked her arm around her boyfriend. “We will plan another day a hang out with the rest of the girls.”

Seungho hummed at her words and smiled at me before waving a hand at the rest of the group. “Yes, call us, but don’t spend too much time alone with these guys…” He joked and smirked before turning his body to walk away.

“Yah, what is that supposed to mean?” Soohyuk raised his voice for the couple to hear, but Seungho just shrugged his shoulders in response.

Now I wondered what he meant. But that wasn’t what I should be wondering. What was I doing standing here when I needed to walk back to the dorm? Then the sight of the sidewalk answered my question.

It was dark, the lamps didn’t light the road well, and the possibility of encountering other creepy- men was high at this late hour.

“Well, are we going or not?” Hyunjong asked.

I turned my body to listen, but then I realized he wasn’t talking to me.

“So, Seunghyun, aren’t you coming?” Soohyuk asked next.

“No, I will pass tonight. I am tired.” He responded, then Soohyuk turned to me.

“And you, Eunjung, do you want to party on? The night is young.” He asked me with his arms around Taeyoung and Hyunjong smiling at me.

I shook my head.

Please log in to read the full chapter