Dad

The Identity I Never Knew

 

                   "Hey dad! I'm here again" I said as I lay down the flowers on his grave. Yep, my father is dead. I sat down beside his grave and stare at the beautiful scenery in front of me. Not that I want to look down because all I see is a graveyard. The weather is nice today. Not too hot and not too cold. I look up and saw birds flying by. I sighed.
 
                   "You  know dad, I met some new friends. They're both nice. One of them is a new guy in my school. His name is Lee Hyukjae and he looks like a nerd. He wears this big glasses that I don't think is useful. I think he's hiding that beautiful face of his. Not that I care about it, I assure you. Since he's a new student and he's a nerd, he's always bullied by other students. Sadly, I can't help him. I'm not a fighter, I'm not rich although I'm smart. But brains without money will not help you win. So, to at least reassure him, I help clean him up every single day. It's tiring but it is nothing compared to what Hyukjae has to endure. I pity the guy. He's only been around for a week and yet he has to suffer like this" I heaved a sigh. 
 
                   'You like him don't you?' 
 
                    I looked around me. There's nobody around. I looked at the gravestone beside me then I smiled. I think dad is trying to talk to me. It should creep me out but it doesn't. I'm happy to know that he really listens to me. 
 
                    "I don't know dad. I just met him. Liking him would be impossible. Plus, I don't want to lose a friend" I answered the imaginary question.
 
                    'It's called love at first sight'
 
                    I laughed. "But I didn't feel anything when I first saw him, but if I ever do like him, what should I do?" Pathetic I know. Asking the dead for advice.
 
                     'Follow you're heart'
 
                    "What's that supposed to mean?"
 
                     I waited for any sign that my dad would answer my question, but there wasn't so I continued with my story.
 
                    "Anyway, aside from Hyukjae, I also met Lee Sungmin. Funny how she's always been my classmate but I never knew her. She's beautiful dad! She has this doe eyes that can grow bigger whenever she's surprised. She looks fragile though. Ever since I met her, I can now fully understand what the saying 'Do not judge a book by its cover' because she's amazing in archery and taekwondo. I watched her one time during her practice. She's doing something strenous yet she still looks so elegant. No wonder a lot of guys are asking her out. She's really nice dad. I kind of missed how nice it is to have friends" i wrapped my arm on my legs and placed my chin on my arms. I looked up to supress my tears. 
 
                    I shuddered as a cold wind passed through my back. Wait! I widened my eyes when I realized that it wasn't a cold wind cause it is still there. It's my dad! And I think he is comforting me. He's been listening to me all along! Everytime I come here to visit and talk to him, he was listening! My tears freely ran down my cheeks when realization hit me. My dad kept his promise. He'll always be here when I need him the most even when he's gone. I  kept crying as memories of my late father comes back to me. 
 
~FLASHBACK~
 
                   My parents and I were at home eating breakfast together. It has become a family tradition that no matter how busy my parents are, they still eat beakfast and dinner with me. That was one of the many things I love about this family. I have a caring and gentle dad. Although my mom is strict to me, I know that deep inside she loves me. I can see very clearly that they are both in love with each other. I smiled to my self. 
 
                  "Fishy, hurry up on your food. I will give you a ride to school" my dad said. He calls me Fishy because he said my mom was always thinking about fishes when I was still inside her. That's where the name Donghae came from.  I don't get his weird antics sometimes. After I ate my breakfast, I grabbed my bag, pecked my mom on her cheek and said goodbye to her. I hopped on to my father's car.
 
                  "So, what do you want me to bring you home?" my dad asked. 
 
                 "What do you mean dad?" this is really surprising. He never asked me those questions before because normally it would've been a surprise. Ugh! Redundant much?
 
                 "I mean, you've been doing well in school lately and I want to give you something you want this time" he said while his left hand run through his hair. I can tell that he's really nervous.
 
                 "I love what you've been giving to me dad" 
 
                 "Even the monkey plushie?" he asked in disbelief.
 
                 "Yes dad, even the monkey. I admit, I hate it at first, especially when you told me that it reminded you of me. I even had the intention of burning it" I heard him gasp. "But of course, I thought otherwise. It was from you and I started hugging it until I fall asleep"
 
                 "You really planned on burning it?" 
 
                 "Yup!" I answered. I saw his shocked expression and laughed my heart out. It was really funny.
 
                 "Stop laughing. I'm hurt you know" he feigned a hurt expression. I laughed even more. 
 
                 "Hmm.. I have a craving for strawberries lately. How about buying me strawberries then?" I asked.
 
                 "They're not yet in season honey. It'l be hard to find one that is sweet" he said. I can hear sadness in his voice.
 
                 "How about a cake?" I saw his face lightened up.
 
                 He nodded enthusiastically. "Then cake it is!" I didn't notice that we're in front of my school already. I hopped off the car and looked back to my father.
 
                 "I'll be expecting my cake dad! I love you!" I waved at him.
 
                 "I love you too sweety!" he said then he drove off. I smiled at my child-like father. I didn't know then that that was our last conversation.
 
                 "WHAT?!!!!!" I shouted on my phone. My mom called me during lunch time that my died got into a car accident. I hurriedly ran to the school gate, hailed a cab and went directly to the hospital. The cab dropped me off in front of the emergency room. I grabbed the paper bills in my pocket and head to the hospital. I saw my mom crying, hugging the doctor's legs. 
 
                "Mom" she looked at me. I walked towards her and helped her stand up. She hugged me and kept crying. I looked at the doctor that my mom was hugging earlier and he shook his head. NO! This was not supposed to happen! My dad, he was supposed to bring home a strawberry cake! Why? I started crying too and I hugged my mom really tight. This was the worst day of my life. I hate this day. Why my dad?!
 
                After that incident, I shut myself out from the outside world. I no longer have friends because they gave up on me. They give up too easily. 
 
~END OF FLASHBACK~
 
                Remembering how my dad died somehow made me miss my childhood friend. She's the daughter of my father's bestfriend. I miss her a lot. We used to send each other mails when she first moved to America but it stopped because we have to move. At the same time, they also moved to another country. That's how we lost contact.
 
                I only have her picture. But we're still kids here so I don't know if I could recognize her with the use of these. I think she also has one of this. It's my lucky charm. I sighed yet again.
 
                "Thanks for comforting me dad. I feel so much better now that I know you really haven't left me after all these years. But why haven't you left yet? Ghosts are supposed to cross over or something right?" I asked my dad. I know he's still there. I can still feel him.
 
                ' Unfinished business. I'm still waiting for my wish to be fulfilled'
 
               "Maybe I can fulfill it for you. I want you to rest now. Though I'm happy that you're here, I'm still sad by the fact that you're still not in peace after all these years" I told him my opinion.
 
                'My wish is not for you to grant' 
 
                I can no longer feel him. I guess he already left. I sighed. I stood up from my seat. I didn't realize that it was already getting dark.
 
               "Bye dad. Thank you for talking to me. I'll come back again next week" I told him then I bowed.
 
               I walked home not really wanting to spend money on cab. I smiled as I remember my encounter with my dad. Somehow, I feel really happy and light. Like a load was lifted from me.
 
               I entered my house and saw that my mom was not yet home. I heaved another sigh and head straight to my room. I washed up and layed down on my bed. I hugged the monkey stuffed toy that my dad gave me and smiled again. I fell asleep almost immediately.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
~MEAWHILE~
 
               Donghae was walking home from the cemetery, oblivious of the stares some group of people has been giving her. 
 
               "Hey guys look! I think that one's a hottie" one of the three guys said with a smirk on his face. The other two nodded and they started walking towards her.
 
               "I wouldn't do that if I were you" a voice from behind them said. Sounds of bones cracking was heard as he approached the three guys. He was just a sillohuette to the three guys. But as he walked closer, the light from the street lamp hits him and the guys shuddered at the sight. His eyes has the intention of killing them in an instant.
 
               "Run" he said under his breath. The three guys complied. He stared at the oblivious Donghae and saw her smiling.                    
"Seriously Donghae, when will you listen? Didn't we tell you that it's dangerous walking alone?" Hyukjae muttered to himself.
 
               Nope. He doesn't look anywhere near the nerd in school. In fact, he looked like another person. The Hyukjae in school has a very neat combed hair, while the Hyukjae now has a messy looking hair. He was not wearing those ridiculous glasses and his outfit was screaming "I'm hotter that your boyfriend" 
 
               He silently followed Donghae as she reached her house. Sighing a relief, he smiled to see that she's living in a peaceful neighborhood. He turned to his heel and walked away as he remembered the genuine smile he saw on Donghae's face as she left the cemetery earlier that day.
 
A/N: I wrote this in the middle of the night. Whenever I'm typing responses from Donghae's dad I feel creepy and goosebumps starts appearing on my shoulder. Plus, this is a bonus chapter, a double update in one night. Enjoy!