Yesung

The Identity I Never Knew

 

                Kim Jongwoon or better known as Yesung for his exceptionally amazing singing voice is Heechul's cousin. Not everybody knows that though. They just thought that they were close since they almost grew up together. He is Yesung and he loves his cousin Kim Heechul more than just a relative.

                He never really admitted it though. He was contented from having an unrequited love. She was technically his cousin after all. He knows that she only sees him as a little brother and he's fine with that.

                Since when exactly did he like Heechul? Well, that was from the moment he set his eyes on the beautiful girl when they were kids. Yesung was pretty much good at hiding his feelings. So good that nobody really noticed it.

                He knows about Donghae. He was happy that his love gained a friend. It was hard for her to do that because she was frank. She always speaks her mind without minding what the other feel. He liked that about her.

                Then came Kibum.

                "Yesungie~!!" Heechul called from outside the door of his study room. "Open this goddamn door this instant! Why were you even locking the door of your study room huh?" she pounded on the door.

                Yesung chuckled. 'Where did she get that strength from?' He placed down his book on the table and made his way to the door. He breathed in first before opening the door. The moment the door opened, Heechul tackled Yesung.

                "What took you so long? I was pounding on the door like a crazy woman!" Heechul shouted.

                Yesung covered his ears. "Stop shouting. I'm standing right in front of you." He closed the door and headed to the couch followed by Heechul. He sat down and grabbed his book "What brings you here?"

                "I found him!" Heechul squealed. Yesung's grip tightened on the book unconsciously.

                "W-Who did you f-find?" he stammered nervously.

                Heechul blushed.

                'Please don't tell me...'

                "My first love"

                There goes his heart; shattered into a million pieces. Yesung was obviously shocked at the sudden revelation but Heechul didn't see it. She was busy admiring the floor. He put his act together before smiling and holding her hand. She smiled at him in response.

                "Who is he?" he asked. His voice didn't falter. Not even for a moment.

                She blushed yet again. "Kim Kibum"

                He frowned. The guy likes Yuri. But even if he tells her about it, she wouldn't believe him and would think that he wasn't there to support her.

                "When are you planning to confess to him?" 'It's probably for the best that she gets this over with quickly. I know I am being harsh but I don't think I have any choice.' he thought to himself.

                As Yesung was contemplating on his own thoughts, Heechul was fidgeting on her seat. "I'll probably do it later. If he ever rejects me, would you be there for me?"

                He smiled "Of course I will"

~

                The door opened and Yesung peeked up from his book to see who it was, Heechul.

                He stood up and hugged his cousin. She cried streams of tears. He didn't say a word instead, he hugged his cousin close and he started singing. This calmed the crying girl in his arms.

                "You're voice is really beautiful" she said hoarsely.

                He smiled and continued to sing another song.

                They sat down on the couch when he finished singing. There was silence for a brief moment before Heechul decided to speak up.

                "He told me that I'm a vain, selfish diva and that there's nothing to possibly like about me" she whispered the last words as tears starts to form on her eyes again.

                "And you believed him?"

                Heechul stared at him, eyes wide in confusion. Yesung tilted his head prompting the other to answer. Heechul smiled at what her cousin was implying then shook her head.

                "No. I don't believe him. What do you think I am?" she asked.

                He thought for a moment before staring deeply into her eyes "You're beautiful"

                She blushed. "You know, if it wasn't for the fact that you're my cousin, I would've fallen in love with you"

                His heart missed a beat. 'Technically, I am your cousin. But I'm not biologically. Can't you just accept me? Can't you feel my undying love for you?'

                Sensing something wrong with his sudden silence, she looks up and stared at him in the eyes "What's wrong?" he shook his head then faked a smile. She cupped his face "You're lying. You can't lie to me"

                He hugged her and buried his face on her shoulder and whispered "I love you, but I know you can't love me back" Her eyes widened in disbelief. She tried to free herself but Yesung kept her in place. "But please don't let my confession ruin what I've been protecting for so long. Please Heechul? You're the only person I have left" he unconsciously tightened his hug.

                She pulled herself away from his tight hug and stared at his eyes for a moment then smiled. "I can't reciprocate the love you give me but I will always be here for you. Just tell me when you can't take it anymore and I'll go away" he nodded in response and let himself be hugged by his cousin.

                A few days later, Yesung received a call that Heechul was kidnapped. Within 6 hours, he managed to track the kidnapper and his/their hideout. Policemen were amazed at how fast the young man managed to track the guy when the said operation would take a few weeks to accomplish.

                He went to an abandoned warehouse alone, but loaded with an M-16 in his right hand. He heard muffled screams and what seemed to be ripping of fabric before he eventually kicked the locked door.

                His eyes widened in shock by what he saw in front of him. Heechul was lying on a table, clothes ripped off with her legs spread wide and a man on top of her trying to take advantage of her. He faked a cough. The man looked up and smirked.

                "That was fast my dear nephew" Jonghyun mocked. Yesung's eyes wandered through the older man's clothing and saw that he was still wearing his pants and it was zipped. "Maybe you were as smart as your good for nothing father huh?"

                Yesung said nothing but pointed the gun at the mad man. Jonghyun raised both of his hands with a smug face "That's unfair. You have a gun and I have nothing. Drop your weapon and fight me like a man"

                Yesung contemplated for a moment before dropping his gun and kicking it as far away as possible. Jonghyun smirked again and lunged at him. He managed to pin him down because he was far bigger and muscular than Yesung.

                "Heh that was easy" he said while drawing a knife from his back. "You know, you've got a pretty face, just like your mom." He ghosted the knife over Yesung's cheeks "Too bad, your dad got to her first. Oh well, might as well be satisfied with my REAL brother's daughter. She's also beautiful and y, exactly my type. I'm gonna continue what we were doing after I'm done with you"

                Snap. There goes Yesung's thick line of patience.

                He grabbed the knife and pulled it away from Jonghyun's strong grasp and threw it far away. Jonghyun gasped at the sudden power of the young male who got off him without breaking a sweat. He suddenly felt chills run down his spine when he looked up at Yesung. His face was calm, definitely. But a deadly aura could be felt. Heechul, who was watching them from a far, is scared of her cousin.

                Jonghyun panics. He was intimidated by the younger guy. He threw everything he gets his hands on but to no avail because Yesung would either dodge it effortlessly or catch it and break it into pieces.

                Jonghyun steps backward and finally reached the still tied Heechul. He smirks and grabs her. "Game over freak!" Then he Heechul's right cheek earning a loud cry from the latter.

                Yesung lunged at him in an instant; he threw Jonghyun to the other side of the building with an unfathomable strength. His eyes then wandered to the shaking girl. He removed his jacket, knelt down and placed it on her shoulders before removing the ropes in her wrist. "Run away from here Heechul. Call for help. I think I forgot to do that earlier" he chuckled.

                Heechul stared at him in disbelief. 'He's calm right now. He has even worse mood swings than I have!' she thought. "You should've done that before coming here! God, you're so reckless sometimes!" she yelled.

                Suddenly, Jonghyun took a piece of wood and swing it directly to Yesung. "Watch out!" Heechul screamed. He was hit, and the dark Yesung was back. He was bleeding, so she fished through Yesung's pocket and grabbed his phone and dialed the emergency number.

                Yesung, on the other hand, grabbed Jonghyun's neck and tightened his grip. "You are so ed up. You killed my parents and now you want to make another life miserable. You're pathetic and this world no longer needs you" he said coldly as his grip tightens even more.

                "Yesung!" Heechul desperately screamed. "Jongwoon stop! If you continue you are just as worse as him! So please! I'm begging you, Stop!" she begged.

                His grip loosened until he no longer held the older man. The latter coughed for the lack of air. Suddenly, sounds of sirens were heard and the place was surrounded immediately. Heechul stood up and hugged Yesung. "You did great Jongwoon. Thank you for listening"

                After that incident, Jonghyun was forever locked in an asylum. Yesung went back to normal as if nothing happened while Heechul, well, she's once again a diva. The only thing that changed though was, she hates men more now, except for Yesung, of course. He managed to get rid of her hatred towards men and now she's alright.

                Then, high school came. He met Donghae again after a long time but he pretended not to know her. Heechul was also oblivious of the fact that the girl was actually her friend. Everything was going smoothly, until Hankyung came along. He knew, the moment he set his eyes on the china man, he has already lost the battle. He knew he had to step down and so he did. It was hard at first but then he realized that the affection he felt for Heechul wasn't for a lover but for a sister he never had. He was happy for them.

                Yesung sat in the green house and was later joined by the couples. Eunhyuk and Donghae are not official yet but they look like a couple. He suddenly felt alone inside the not-so-crowded room.

                "Yesung, what's wrong?" Heechul asked. Everyone's eyes were on him. He raised an eyebrow. "You may be good at hiding but you can never fool me" she mocked. He chuckled before heading out the spacious room, leaving the other's with confused glances.

                He was walking on one of the most secluded corridors in the school building. He was busy contemplating how lonely his life is when suddenly he heard music playing. Someone was playing. He followed the sound and he ended up on the old music room that used to be his hiding place. He opened the door ever so slightly so as not to startle whoever was playing.

                The musician had her back on him. Yes, it was a she. He stood there, closed his eyes and listened intently to the music. Then at the next moment, she was singing. 'What a beautiful voice' he thought to himself. The music finally stopped after a few moments then he heard a gasp. He opened his eyes and looked at the girl who was singing a while ago.

                "I'm sorry. I-I d-didn't notice y-you we-were there" she bowed and was about to leave when Yesung suddenly speaks.

                "What's your name?"

                She stopped in her tracks and looked at his brown eyes. "Ryeowook. K-Kim Ryeowook" she answered.

                "Play something again" he said. It didn't sound as an order but more like a suggestion. She stared at him in confusion. He smiled "You played beautifully and your voice sound amazing. I wanna hear it again. If it's alright with you"

                "I don't think my voice is really that beautiful" she mumbled.

                He chuckled "I don't make false compliments." He took a step and head towards the nervous brunette. "Play. I'll listen" he sat down comfortably on a chair next to Ryeowook.

                Ryeowook nodded and played a melody that was lost in Yesung's memory after his parents died. Tears suddenly formed in his eyes as memories kept flashing in his mind.

                Hearing sobs; Ryeowook stopped playing and rushed to Yesung's side. "Are you alright? Oh my god, I'm so sorry" she pulled out a handkerchief and offered it to him.

                He took the handkerchief and wiped his tears. "It's not your fault Ryeowook-shi. The song you just played brought back memories that I've locked for a long time. Please play it once more. I wanna sing it" The brunette nodded and walked back to the piano.

(If you do not know the song, click here. starts at 0:42)

해가 지기전에 가려했지 (Tried to leave before the sunset)

너와 내가 있던 그 언덕 풍경속에 (Into that scenery of a hill where you and I stood)

아주 키작은 그 마음으로 (Where, with a heart of children,)

세상을 꿈꾸고 그리며 말했던 곳 (We dreamed and talked about the world)

이제 여행을 떠나야하는 소중한 내 친구여 (My dear friend you now have to leave on a journey)

 

때론 다투기도 많이 했지 (We often argued)

서로 알수 없는 오해의 조각들로 (Due to pieces of misunderstanding unknown to each other)

하지만 멋적은 미소만으로 (But in those countless memories, with just awkward smiles)

너는 내가 되고 나도 네가 될수 있었던 수많은 기억들 (you could become me and I could become you)

 

내가 항상 여기 서있을께 (I will always stand here)

걷다가 지친 네가 나를 볼수 있게 (So you can look at me when tired from walking)

저기 저 별위에 그릴거야 (I will paint it on that star up there)

내가 널 사랑하는 마음 볼수 있게 (So you could see how much I love you)

 

(Credit: http://delacroix.egloos.com/4560224 for the translation)

                "Thank you" he muttered as the song ended. She smiled at him. "Are you a new student by any chance? I've never seen you here before" she stiffened. His eyebrows creased and realization suddenly hit him. "You're not a student here. Didn't you know that the penalty is severe to those who trespass?" he crossed his arms in his chest.

                "I'm sorry! I just wanna play the piano badly. I... can't afford to buy this..." she sniffed.

                He took a pen and a paper from his pocket and scribbled something. "Do not come here again"

                "B-but..." Tears rolled down her cheek.

                "If you want to play the piano, come to my house. I have a piano there that's been unused for God knows how long. Where do you live anyway? It's getting pretty late" he gave her the note and she blinked at him in disbelief.

                "What's this?" she asked.

                "My address" he answered off handedly.

                "I m-mean, w-why a-are y-you giv-giving me the add-address to your house? Wh-what if I'm a-a b-bad person?" she stammered.

                "Are you a bad person?” he tilted his head sideways. She shook her head violently. "Good, now where do you live?" he asked again.

                "Why do you w-want to know?" she played with her fingers nervously.

                "It's getting pretty late and I don't want to send a woman home alone. That would break my principle"

                She sighed nervously before answering "Anywhere? I can't afford an apartment" she whispered the last words.

                He pondered for a moment. "Live with me" Her eyes widened in surprise. He kept a poker face.

                "Wh-what did you just say?" her voice cracked.

                "I'm offering you to live with me. I live alone with only servants and pets to keep me company. A new face wouldn't be bad" he shrugged.

                "But, y-you just met me" tears are forming on her eyes.

                "Who cares? I know I don't" he shrugged.

                She hugged him and cried, giving endless thank you to the man who offered her shelter.

                "Let's go. I miss my turtle" he offered her a hand and she took it happily before leaving the room using the other door.

                One person witnessed everything from the outside. Heechul smiled "Congratulations dog. You finally found your happiness. I hope it would last long" she walked away and headed after Yesung and his new friend. Or soon to be girlfriend, whichever fits best.

 

A/N: Yesung!!! Here's a chapter that tells you all about him!! ANd I'm not completely biased, honestly!! hahha.. hope you like this one!  Ryeowook also makes a cameo!! ^^