Opportunity

Free of Charge

Chapter One: Opportunity

opportunity: a favorable or suitable occasion or time

~*~

It had come down to whether he should just return home. He took another glance at his wrist watch and sighed, tapping his foot impatiently. The young male blew away the loose strands of his black hair that jabbed at his eyes. He had stood in line under the blistering sun for over an hour and his patience was running thin. The small hand that held tightly onto his reminded him he was there for a reason.

It's only for today, Baekhyun.

The brunet that stood just in front of the raven-haired boy turned to the little girl holding him, "Are you sure you really want the plushie?" The little girl nodded tiredly. The brunet made eye contact with Baekhyun and flashed a small smile, "Isn't this fun?"

Baekhyun nodded slowly, wishing he was at home lying on the couch with the air conditioner blasted up, enjoying a nice bowl of ice cream while watching TV. But no, he was stuck waiting in line outside on a hot summer day with his neighbor's daughter. All for a free random giant plushie.

At least you're getting paid. Getting paid to melt, damn it. Not to mention you're going to get so dark.

He figured talking to the brunet would help time pass by but he was too tired and hot to even speak. Unfortunately or fortunately -- Baekhyun wasn't sure which -- the brunet wasn't feeling the same way. "My name is Jongdae, what's yours?"

"Baekhyun," the raven-haired boy replied, swiping the sweat from his forehead. He was melting. When were the stupid people going to come out? The small hand tugged his and he turned his attention to the little five-year-old girl that stared up at him with large brown eyes.

No, not those eyes.

"I have to pee."

"Well, if we get out of line you're not getting your plushie," Baekhyun said flatly. The little girl pouted and pulled at his hand again.

"I really have to pee, Baekkie." She began lightly bouncing from one foot to another. Pouts never worked on Baekhyun, he was practically immune to them, and the situation didn't call for many choices. It was either she relieved herself, no plushie, and tears or wait, get the plushie and possibly a bladder infection, and then use the restroom. He didn't have to worry about a bladder infection because she would pee in her pants before that would happen.

Rolling his eyes, Baekhyun asked, "Do you want the plushie or not?"

"I do, but I really have to pee!"

Baekhyun caught Jongdae watching him. The brunet smiled, "It seems you have quite the dilemma."

"Just pee in your pants," Baekhyun said to her. He ignored the looks everyone was giving them, he could care less about what they thought.

The little girl squeezed Baekhyun's fingers tightly, "Can't I just go by myself?"

"No."

In the end, Baekhyun and his neighbor's daughter walked home with empty hands. He was upset he had to wait in line for an agonizing hour and a half in the heat, only to have to leave because the dumb little girl had to relieve herself and that cost them their spot in line. He only became angrier when he found out the brunet guy didn't even receive a plushie. What a waste of his time.

"Just tell your parents to buy you one," Baekhyun said to calm down the gloomy girl. She sniffled, tears streaming down her face. She didn't say anything as the two arrived at Baekhyun's house. Upon entering the home, a blast of cool air gently caressed his skin before enveloping him entirely.

His mother's voice traveled from the kitchen to the front door where he stood, "Were you two successful? Are you hungry?"

The little girl disappeared around the corner, "Baekkie's Mom, we didn't get it. It's all my fault because I didn't use the restroom before leaving." Baekhyun followed the invisible trail left behind by his neighbor's daughter. After the many times he had babysat for her, he still wasn't quite sure what her name was. Hence the reason he was waiting for his mother to address her before he said anything. Usually he was pretty good with names, but the little girl's always slipped his mind.

"Aww, I'm sorry to hear that Jinah," his mother smiled down at the little girl as she wiped away the girl's sweat, tears, and snot.

Jinah. Jinah. Jinah. Remember her name or else you're never babysitting again. And how long have we been living next door? God Baekhyun...

The woman glanced at her son with a small frown and furrowed brows, "Oh dear, did my son just wake up inside a furnace? Your face is so flushed." She approached her son and touched his forehead and cheeks with the back of her hand, clicking her tongue and shaking her head, "You two must be really hot and disappointed. I'll make some lunch for you and then you can have ice cream after."

Jinah beamed and hugged the woman as tightly as her small and weak frame allowed her to, "Thank you Baekkie's Mom! You're the best!"

She laughed lightly and took Jinah by the hand, "We should get you washed up first." She gestured to her son to do the same and Baekhyun gladly retreated to his bathroom.

The first thing Baekhyun did was peel off all his clothes. He hated sweating; having his clothes glued stuck to body sent shivers down his spine and not to mention the smell and hygiene itself. It was just gross. Baekhyun practically worshipped cleanliness and tidiness. After an inspection of his used-to-be milky white skin, he jumped into the shower.

The moment he stepped out fresh and clean he caught the whiff of chicken soup. The smell conjured mixed feelings; one of his carefree childhood and one as a reminder than he was a growing young man. In the near future he would be living out on his own with his own job and family. But for now he was a still a high school student.

Baekhyun strapped on his most important piece of clothing -- his wrist watch. Without it he felt ; it was an indescribable necessity in his life. Fixing his hair one last time, he headed downstairs to eat his lunch.

---

Jongdae sat back in the couch as he watched the local news, "I still can't believe the school burned down." His hair was slightly damp from his quick shower and small droplets made dark circles on the couch cushions.

His mother smacked the back of his head with her book, "How many times do I have to tell you to blow-dry your hair?" Jumping to his feet, Jongdae rushed to the bathroom away from his mother's wrath. When he returned to his seat, his mother responded back to his first comment, "You will be surrounded by new people. Perhaps a nice girlfriend?"

"Usually moms don't want their sons to date but you keep nudging me in that direction," said Jongdae exasperatedly as he tilted his head back. He had plenty of girl friends when he was in China for the foreign exchange program, but none of them had that strong magnetic pull he was searching for. Even if he struggled with the language, the emotion should have been obvious. He wanted someone he felt comfortable around that could lure him in without trying. Some of those girls had tried way too hard. It was so unattractive.

"My son is very handsome and I find it a shame he hasn't dated anyone when he's almost halfway finished with high school," she responded back with an amused smile.

Jongdae smiled at his mother, "I'm waiting for the right person."

Her smile disappeared and she prepared to hit her son once more for saying such a ridiculous statement, but at the last second she held back, "How would you know if it's the right person? You never even bother going out on dates!"

He hid the fact that his mother nudging him to find a girlfriend only prompted him to question his own uality. His friends have dated several girls already, leaving him as the odd ball. His friends didn't help either, as they joked about Jongdae's secret taste for boys whenever they were discussing girls. Jongdae figured he just hadn't found the correct girl and shrugged it off.

And now because his high school had mysteriously burned down, he was being transferred to another school. High school had temporarily ceased for the students as teachers and staff busied themselves into distributing the students throughout to the three nearby high schools. Jongdae had recently received a letter directing him to attend Sooha High School. One good news is that his friend Kyungsoo was also being transferred there so he wouldn't be alone. He just hoped for a miracle they would be in the same class.

"Sooyeon must be disappointed she didn't get the plushie," Jongdae's mother clicked her tongue as she opened her book. He nodded in agreement; over an hour of standing in line and they barely managed to snag a plushie. Two people in front of them had received the last one.

Jongdae's phone lit up and he quickly reached for it, suddenly remembering he was supposed to text Kyungsoo when he got back. Jongdae slipped on his sandals and headed out the door, "I'm hanging out with the guys today." His mother simply waved him away as if she were glad the nuisance was finally leaving her alone. "Mom, don't read too much it will hurt your eyes," he grinned before shutting the door.

"Baekhyun, dear, what are planning on doing for the rest of the day?" Baekhyun's mother asked as she combed through Jinah's hair. Her son was hunched over the kitchen sink vigorously cleaning the dishes, one earbud in his ear.

"I didn't really have any plans," he replied after a moment's thought.

"When you go back to school, everything's going to be different."

Baekhyun snorted, "Not everything Mom. We're just going to get a lot of new students. I think I'll probably get four or five in my class. Hopefully not any more than that." When the news of Yoonkyu High School came out last week, the three nearby high schools closed for the week so the teachers could assist with the ones from Yoonkyu. The authorities still haven't discovered who or what caused the fire. Supposedly when they found some sort of evidence, his mother would be called to work.

"I heard from Kyungsoo's mother that he's going there."

"To Sooha?" Baekhyun asked in surprise. Kyungsoo was his friend since middle school. Then while he, Chanyeol, and Joonmyun attended Sooha, Kyungsoo went to Yoonkyu. Interesting that Kyungsoo would be transferred to Sooha; it seemed the little gang was getting back together.

After finishing the dishes, Baekhyun laid on his bed, calling friend after friend. They were all busy with either their dates or family. He decided to give Kyungsoo a try.

"Hello?"

"Oh, Kyungsoo! Are you busy today?"

"I'm hanging out with my friends."

"Am I not your friend?"

"We're heading to the Han River if you want to come along."

Baekhyun frowned. It was too hot to go to out with people he didn't know other than Kyungsoo. He would really rather just stay indoors and read comics or watch dramas. Even if it was cooler by the river, Baekhyun had already taken a shower and didn't need to take another one. "Ah, that's all right then. You and your friends have fun."

"Loser. Afraid to sweat?"

"I've already sweated enough for a whole year," Baekhyun retorted. "Bye." He didn't even wait before disconnecting the line. With a defeated sigh, Baekhyun returned downstairs and continued babysitting Jinah. It was easy; he just the TV, glanced at the shows she was allowed to watch, and the two sat together on the couch and began marathoning a show with a giant bowl of popcorn in between them.

~

Entering his classroom, Baekhyun took notice of how close the desks were and the extra desks in the back. A frown found its way onto his face because the extra desks meant he was no longer in the back. There would be someone sitting behind him. There went his sense of security at being able to see all the students in his class. Baekhyun paused a few meters away from his seat, which was occupied by Chanyeol's girlfriend.

Ugh, those two.

He headed over to the couple and slammed his hands down on the desk's surface. The two stopped kissing, but they were closer than ever as they held onto another in alarm. Seeing that is was just Baekhyun and nothing serious, they sighed and let go. "Move," Baekhyun said to Jaehwa, gesturing for her to relocate somewhere far, far away. "You're sitting in my seat."

"Baekhyun," Chanyeol frowned but Jaehwa got up anyway. She made a face at Baekhyun before flicking his shoulder and walking out. Chanyeol gawked at his best friend, "What is your problem with my girlfriend?"

"She's a ," Baekhyun said as if it was the most obvious answer in the world. "Why are you dating her?"

Chanyeol sighed, "Give her a chance. She's really nice."

"Nice my . I knew her longer than you," Baekhyun rolled his eyes. "I can't believe you would let her contaminate my seat. You should have sat here while she dirtied your chair." He dug through his bag and pulled out the workbook that was due in several more minutes. "Are you sure you don't have my pen?"

"You should get yourself a girlfriend," Chanyeol took the workbook and began copying the answers down. "No, I don't have it. You never let me touch it. Why would I even use that prehistoric thing? Why are you using it?"

"I use it for writing letters you . It's old fashioned but not prehistoric," Baekhyun snatched his workbook back and shut it. How dare the ignorant Park Chanyeol call his treasured ornate calligraphy pen prehistoric. "I recall mentioning that I'm going to grow old and die alone. I can't find myself being in a long-term relationship with another person."

Chanyeol attempted to grab the workbook, "Come on Baekkie, I need the answers!" Baekhyun tossed it back inside his backpack and shook his head. "I'm really sorry. Next time I'll sit in your seat."

Baekhyun stuck out his hand, "Failing to do so will result in monetary loss for you." With a roll of his eyes, Chanyeol took Baekhyun's hand and Baekhyun filed the deal in his mind.

While Chanyeol was busy stealing his answers, Baekhyun took out his phone and checked his message from Kyungsoo. Apparently they weren't in the same class. He glanced at the door and a familiar figure walked in after Kyungsoo; when Kyungsoo saw Baekhyun he quickly made his way over. Baekhyun squinted and carefully analyzed the brunet behind his friend. When the brunet met his eyes it clicked.

"Ah, you're from the plushie giveaway," Baekhyun said in realization, frantically searching for the name that belonged to the face. The guy had no name tag to help identify himself.

"Yeah," the brunet said in surprise. "You're the one with the little girl that had to use the restroom." Baekhyun nearly killed himself trying to figure out the guy's name; it came to him when the brunet smiled.

"You're Jongdae."

The brunet blinked in surprise that he had remembered his name. He honestly forgot the raven-haired boy's name and now he felt bad. To his luck, as he was reading the name tag, the male student sitting beside the raven-haired boy said, "Hey Baekhyun, are you sure this is the correct answer?"

"Yes," Baekhyun replied. "If you doubt me then don't bother copying."

Kyungsoo beckoned Jongdae over to the desk behind Baekhyun, "This is your desk. I'll be off to my class. I'm just right next door, lucky me." Before Jongdae could say anything, Kyungsoo darted out. More students filed in and soon class began with the introductions of the students from Yoonkyu.

Baekhyun didn't give Jongdae much thought until lunch came along and Kyungsoo and Jongdae were sitting several tables away from where he sat with Joonmyun and Chanyeol. For once Chanyeol was actually there but only because Jaehwa had an early dismissal. Baekhyun only knew because Chanyeol wouldn't shut up about how he hoped she was okay. Joonmyun was more supportive than Baekhyun, taking Chanyeol's hand and assuring him nothing serious would happen just because Chanyeol and his girlfriend didn't get to spend the whole day together.

Baekhyun on the other hand said, "I hope you got her pregnant and she's going to be out for nine months."

"Pregnant?!" Chanyeol gasped as he clutched two handfuls of his brown hair and violently shook his head. "We never had , she can't be pregnant!"

Joonmyun shushed Chanyeol, "He's just joking."

Baekhyun smiled, "You know Channie, if you do ever get married to her or have little aliens with her, I'm afraid that's the end of our friendship. Unless that grows a heart."

"Don't talk about her like that!" Chanyeol snapped but Baekhyun rolled his eyes indifferently. He ignored his two friends sitting across from him and gazed over at Kyungsoo and Jongdae.

---

"Is Baekhyun the guy that helped you talk to your crush but then you found out she had no interest in you; the one that did your homework for about two weeks? The one that people pay to get him to do stuff for you? The Well? The Well?" Jongdae whispered to his friend so fast he was slightly light-headed when it came to Kyungsoo's turn to speak.

"Thanks for reminding me of my literal middle school crush. Yes, he is. Why? You have a favor?" the male with the red hair asked before biting into his sandwich. With a mouthful of food he said, "Don't ask him to do your homework. That was the biggest mistake of my life."

"Why?"

"I failed the test."

The brunet chuckled. No, he had no plans to ask Baekhyun to do his homework. He had another job, one that he had to make damn sure he wanted to ask that person. He looked over and saw Baekhyun staring at them. He nearly jumped from the cold chill that crept up his spine as he returned his attention to Kyungsoo, "Are you guys friends?"

"Yeah."

"Why don't we go over to them then?"

Kyungsoo craned his neck to look over the brunet. He flashed a smile and waved at Baekhyun. To Jongdae he said, "Sure, why don't we go ask them?"

"Right now?" Jongdae gasped, stealing a quick glance at Baekhyun. "He seems cranky."

"That's how he always is."

That's true. He was like that at the plushie giveaway.

Kyungsoo stood up, then sat back down, "Let me finish my sandwich first."

With an annoyed look, Baekhyun said to Chanyeol, "Can you talk about something else? You're giving me a headache."

"Well, if you had a girlfriend of your own then you wouldn't be so mean to me," Chanyeol sniffed and wiped his tears away.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes, "I don't need a girlfriend. I'm an independent man and I don't even have time for myself."

Joonmyun frowned at the two second years that were his friends. Why were they even friends? The third year gently rubbed Chanyeol's back and spoke to Baekhyun, "You should take it easy on the jobs. You're going to get yourself in trouble one day."

Baekhyun flashed the eldest male at the table a bright smile, "I get paid for helping people with things others won't do. It's not like you haven't requested a favor from me." The smile lingered on Baekhyun's lips, sending Joonmyun goosebumps as he remembered his request for Baekhyun to be his alibi as he snuck out to a party. Baekhyun's smile faded and he sighed with a shake of his head, "Even my friends have once been my customers."

Someone tapped Baekhyun's shoulder and spoke in a quavering voice, "Mr. Well?"

"Yes?" Baekhyun turned around.

A chubby male student -- most likely a first year and that looked quite familiar -- bowed quickly, "I have a request." Baekhyun smiled warmly to ease the tension from the younger male, he was practically oozing tension.

Baekhyun guided the young student away from possible eavesdroppers before asking in a low whisper, "What can I help you with?"

"Umm, I'm sorry to bother you, but I have to get two books from the library. I would go myself, but I saw the guys hanging around inside and I don't want them to see me."

"Bullies?" Baekhyun asked flatly. He absolutely despised those who physically hurt others just for the joy of it. In the back of his mind, Baekhyun knew people labeled him as a bully because of the harsh way he spoke his mind, but Baekhyun didn't go around choosing students to beat up. Baekhyun leaned closer to the younger male, "What year are they in?"

"The same as me. We went to the same middle school."

"Ah, I see," Baekhyun nodded. He took a peek at the name tag -- Gu Dongbin. He patted Dongbin's shoulder, "Give me the your card and the book titles. I'll do it for you."

"How much will it cost?" Dongbin handed him his card and a note paper.

"For you... 1,000 won. Have it ready," Baekhyun smiled before taking off.

Jongdae watched as Baekhyun walked by his table and headed toward the library. Perhaps it was his chance. The brunet turned to Kyungsoo, "I'll be right back, don't choke on your sandwich." Before Kyungsoo could reply, Jongdae rushed off. The brunet followed Baekhyun at a safe distance; he wasn't prepared to have acted so quickly on the first day of school, but he didn't want to push the problem farther down the road.

Baekhyun sensed someone behind him but didn't stop to look back until he was inside the library, climbing up the flight of stairs. As he stepped foot onto the second floor, he caught sight of Jongdae.

It's no coincidence; he's following me.

He quickly scanned book after book for the two titles written on the piece of paper. Several seconds later before he could locate the books, a hand tapped his shoulder, "Baekhyun, can I talk to you?"

Baekhyun faced the brunet, "What is it?"

Jongdae peered past Baekhyun and took his wrist, guiding him to the back of the library. Baekhyun stared the brunet hard in the eyes, waiting for an explanation as to why Jongdae had taken him away from prying eyes.

He probably wants a favor.

Jongdae chewed his bottom lip and rubbed the back of his neck, "I heard you grant favors for people."

Bingo.

Baekhyun nodded, arm across his chest, "As long as they pay me and provide a reason."

"Then I have a favor: I want you to be an intimate close friend."

What the hell did this guy sniff up? Am I some kind of e?

"And why would I do that?" asked Baekhyun in sincere curiosity. Because of his reputation, Baekhyun rarely received requests where he physically had to interact as someone else's person, whether that be a date, family member, friend, even stranger. Here, Jongdae was asking him to be his close friend, an intimate close friend. With a sigh he asked, "What's your reason?"

"I... I would rather not tell. It's personal and... embarrassing."

"I only grant favors with pay and a reasonable excuse and sometimes if the reason's good enough, I won't even charge."

Jongdae didn't want to tell Baekhyun the reason. Surely Baekhyun would laugh in his face or even punch him. The brunet chewed his bottom lip again as he averted his eyes from the male with the dark hair.

As Jongdae contemplated on telling or not, Baekhyun impatiently tapped his foot as he awaited an answer. He blew his bangs from his eyes and blinked once, twice, thrice, "Well if you don't plan on saying anything, I have things to do." He tried to get away as fast as he could before the brunet said anything.

A hand reached out and tightly grasped onto the raven-haired male's wrist, "Wait. Can you promise not to laugh or shun me if I tell you? Can you keep it a secret?"

Baekhyun turned around and eyed the hand around his wrist, "Don't. Touch. My. Watch." The hand immediately retracted and Baekhyun glanced down at his wrist watch to inspect it before looking into the brunet's eyes, "I won't promise you anything. It all comes down to whether or not you trust me."

"I need you to be my intimate friend so I can confirm if I'm..." Jongdae's voice cut off, his bottom lip quivering. Baekhyun was going to be so disgusted. "I'm having... issues." Baekhyun gestured him to continue after a long pause. The brunet gulped before he said, "I'm trying to confirm my... s-uality." He winced and unconsciously took a step back in case Baekhyun reacted violently.

Surprised and slightly troubled -- Baekhyun furrowed his brows and compressed his lips. Did he hear correctly what the student standing before him just said? He needed Baekhyun so he could test if he was gay or not? "Wow," Baekhyun whispered, pushing his dark hair back with his hand. "This has got to be the strangest request I have ever received."

Jongdae couldn't tell whether things have gone downhill or the opposite.

"Let me ask you one thing," Baekhyun slammed a hand on Jongdae's shoulder. The younger male cringed but quickly regained his posture. "How will me being close friends with you help you determine... that? You can always test it out with other guys without having to pay them. Why are you going all the way out to ask me?"

"Because... it makes me feel less bad if I pay you to do something people find repulsive. I was planning to spend my time around a guy first to see how I felt, then I was hoping... maybe you could introduce me to a girl afterwards... Besides, no one's going to do it for free." Inside, Jongdae was slowly dying. He felt like a complete moron to ask this of his new classmate.

Baekhyun remained quiet as he pondered through his thoughts. Would he feel comfortable being intimate with Jongdae? They just barely met! What if he really was gay and he fell for Baekhyun? Poor guy will have his heart broken. Baekhyun bit the insides of his cheeks as he quickly weighed the negatives and positives.

Intimate close friend? Oh my god. What do I have to lose?

Baekhyun raised a brow, "How long?"

"Excuse me?"

"How long do you want me to be close to you?"

"I'm not sure yet."

Baekhyun sighed again; Jongdae was an amateur at asking for favors but he was willing to help out the poor guy find his... uality. A small shiver attacked the raven-haired male. "Don't make any big, unexpected moves on me and you're good. Mess with me and the whole school will know about your dilemma," Baekhyun grinned his pearly whites at the brunet. He leaned in close and whispered, "We will discuss details and pay later. I'm on a job at the moment."

Should I be relieved or worried?

Baekhyun left the library after getting the two books for Dongbin; by then Jongdae was long gone from the library. He delivered the books, received his pay, and headed to his usual hangout spot where Kyungsoo and Jongdae were sitting across from Joonmyun and Chanyeol. The brunet averted his gaze from Baekhyun as the older male sat down. Baekhyun caught the brunet stealing a glance at him and a smile crept its way up on the raven-haired male's face.

Kim Jongdae... you are going to be my most interesting customer.