Chapter 18

Beside You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica was staring at the father and daughter for the longest time. She misses her dad dearly. 
  
"Hey shortie" snapped Yoona, sensing the change of emotion from Jessica because the girl had been staring for a while now 
  
"Y—yes?" 
  
"You said you're going to treat me an ice cream" 
  
"Oh, right" She smiled and headed for the ice cream shop. 
  
  
"My dad used to tie my shoelaces for me" Jessica voiced out, breaking the silence. They just bought the ice cream and settled at the farthest, also the shabby part of the store "He would smile at me and always go on and on at how can I be a good student if I can't even tie my shoelace - something he taught me since I was 5" 
  
"Your dad must be the gentle type. Mine too" Yoona smiled  
  
"Where is your dad?" 
  
"Where your dad is" 
  
"Oh" nodded her "I forgot. How old were you when your dad passed away?" 
  
"Hmm, 11, If I am not wrong" 
  
"At least you got to be with him 4 years more. I lost mine when I was just 7" 
  
"Don't be sad" Yoona pats Jessica's hair "Probably, your dad is watching you from above" 
  
"Do you think ... If my dad isn't an underground boxer, would we be happy now? Would we still be a whole family now?" 
  
"I don't know" Yoona sighed "I have those 'If's' too, but I just choose to shrug them. Because, there are some things that we like that won't happen if those were to come true. If my mom hadn't left, I wouldn't have the chance to meet Taeyeon, and eventually meeting you. A lot of things. Things we can't change" 
  
  
  
  
"I never learned to bike, because my dad promised to teach me how to ride it" She snapped again as she was reminded. They are now riding the bikes. Though she was still wobbly and shaky, she finally managed to learn how to ride it - thanks to Yoona; she taught Jessica how to do so for the whole day "But he didn't come home the next day" 
  
"Is it okay to ask about your mom?" 
  
"Sure" 
  
"Where is she?" 
  
"I don't know, actually. Krystal and I woke up with guys in suits digging up the house as if there were golds in it. They took mom, and left both of us" 
  
"Why did they take her?" 
  
"I don't know" She shrugged her shoulders 
  
"My mom was really sad, like really really sad, when my dad passed away. It's as if she got her soul taken away." 
  
"Where is your mom now?" 
  
"Just like you, I don't know. I just got home one day, and she was completely gone. Just vanished like that. All that she ever left me was a note explaining that she ought to think about some stuffs and she had to go away for I don't know how long it'd be" 
  
"If I don't know you, and we happen to be co-workers, I would think that you're my sister at this rate" 
  
"Yeah," Yoona smiled, finally the smile making way to their faces and stopping the sullen conversation "What does it feel like to be your dongsaeng? Probably scary" 
  
"I am not!" She slapped Yoona's arm after stopping on their tracks. Yoona was satisfied with the result of her teaching and Jessica is already dead beat. "Protective is the proper term of it, okay" 
  
"It wasn't even an hour when you two got separated!" She argued 
  
"Still! It's not scary" 
  
"Fine, a silly unnie then" 
  
"How am I a silly unnie?!" whined her 
  
"You taught your sister how to annoy me really quick!"  
  
"Oh," she giggled "Fine, maybe a little" 
  
  
"One last question" Jessica sent the message when she couldn't sleep yet despite her being tired the whole day; learning how to ride a bike 
  
"Go ahead shortie" 
  
"If ever your mom shows up, what would you do?" 
  
"I don't know, actually. I never thought of it, nor think that she would come back?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter