Chapter 18

Is it...... love??

                       They quickly find a glass of water each and mumbled sorry for each other after gulping the water down. The atmosphere turned awkward for a while. They continue eating in silence after that. But for Anna and Minho, they are trying to slow down their heartbeat that suddenly pick up during their hand contact. Mrs. Choi just smiles knowing their feelings just now. ‘Looks like there are going to be a love story in this house soon,’ she thought happily.

                       Minho decides to watch the television which he rarely does. He doesn’t even think he had watched something on it before. Yes, that’s how lifeless his life is. Even though his house looks like a typical normal house inside and out, the person living in it is not. He’s not the typical kind of guy. He’s a perfectionist. Therefore, he doesn’t want his mom to realize how depressed he feels inside.

                       Normally, he would go straight into his bedroom after dinner and think about what happens in his life and what he wants to happen in the future. But with Anna in the next room, he doesn’t feel comfortable doing so. He is not good in socializing. His only friends are SHINee. It’s hard for him to open up to people. But he knows that Anna won’t be leaving any sooner. She’s still a freshman. She’s got another five years to complete her studies.

                       ‘I guess I’d have to accept her as a family at some point. Omma would like that. But when though?’ he thought to himself. It’s hard for him to trust anyone after his father’s death. And that’s not the only reason he shuts himself out from life. He’s able to move on for his mother’s sake. He sighs, remembering his painful past.

                         He gets up from the comfortable couch. The sudden flood of painful memories hurt his head. He climbs up the stairs to his room. He stops and looks at the door beside his bedroom. The room where Anna stays and will be staying for years to come. ‘Six years is not that long Choi Minho, she’ll be gone before you know it,’ he tells himself. He sighs again. ‘Why does she remind me of that painful past?’

                       He opens his bedroom door. He slumps himself into the bed, closing his eyes. He takes out the aromatic candle, lighting it before brushing his teeth and doing his usual ritual before bed. He takes his diary from his study table; it’s been a while since he wrote anything in it. Well, nothing much happened to his life until today.

                      Dear Diary, he starts.

               

                 It’s been a while since I last wrote on you. Nothing much happened to my life on those days. I would wake up; take a shower, got to work, meeting my brother who is no more than a boss at work. And then, I would sing with SHINee if I’m too stressed out. It only made me forget until I stop singing. Though I love the feeling of it, it wouldn’t last long.

             

               Today, Omma suddenly showed up in my house with a girl. She’s beautiful, I must admit. Omma said she got lost and ended up in our family house. How it really happened, I’m not sure. I know Omma really wanted a daughter. So, I could understand, or at least try to when she said that she’s going to take care of the girl until she graduated from the university, which would happen five years from now. She is in her first year in the university. She is learning to be a doctor. A very difficult journey awaits her. Business was hard enough to learn, yet alone medic. Well, she’s smart. I know she can handle this.

 

             And how would I of all people know that? First, she comes from Malaysia. It’s not easy for a foreign student to be accepted to the prestigious Universityof Seoul. Unless if you’re very smart. Like her. Wait, I haven’t mentioned her name at all, haven’t I? How forgetful of me! Her name is Anna. Anna Mellissa Smith. The name suits her very well I’d say. It’s very simple yet beautiful. Just like her…

          

         I probably should tell Donghae hyung about her tomorrow. Omma wants him to join us for dinner. We haven’t had a family gathering like this since Appa’s death. We’re too busy to take a leave at the same time. The company directors are still not convinced of us. I think they thought of us as little kids who heir our father’s company without any experience in the business field. Whatever they’re thinking, they’re wrong. We might still be young. But our father prepared us way before we even got to the university. Thank you, Appa, for trusting us to lead your company. I don’t know about Donghae hyung, but I’ll do my best in fulfilling your wish, Appa. I’m certain he feels the same way too. I really miss you….

 

              He feels tears running down from his eyes, through his cheek, finally falling down to his hand. He puts the pen down, his hand trembling. He puts his hand on his mouth, trying to muffle the sobs that barely got out of him. But he’s scared if Anna heard him. He never cried in front of anybody before, except for one person. He takes a deep breath. As he lets it out shakily, he wipes away his tears. ‘Crying won’t do you any good, Choi Minho. Appa’s gone. He’s not coming back. All you can do now is move on,’ he mentally said to himself. With his tears dried, he picks up the pen and starts writing again.

 

       I think the dinner’s going to be awkward. The three of us haven’t been talking in the same room practically since Appa died. I hope Anna can bring some differences. Though I highly doubt so. We’ll be talking in English, I think.  Since Anna doesn’t really understand Korean yet. I think I’d have to help her with that. She’s smart. I know she can pick up faster than average students. I think.

 

      I’m a bit worried about Donghae hyung though. What if he flirts with Anna? What if Anna falls for his trick? It works every time. Always. I don’t want to see Anna heartbroken. And I bet Omma doesn’t want it too. Wait, why should I be worried about her? It’s not like she’s my real sister or something. Hmm, why can’t I answer the question? Probably because she reminds me of…

       

           Minho stops writing at once. He really doesn’t like thinking about it. It makes his heart hurt. They are right. A person who shuts their heart is yearning for love.

                         Was it really the reason of what he did just now? Minho isn’t very sure of himself. It is not what he usually does except maybe that time… ‘Aish, why does she keep reminding me of that person?’ he questions himself. ‘Well, she does kind of look like that person…,’ he tries to reason with himself. ‘No, you know that’s a lie,’ he retorted in his head. He’s in confusion.

                         He gets up from the chair, closing the diary and almost throwing it in frustration. Well, technically with himself. He throws his body onto his bed. He looks at the clock on his side table before his eyes open widely. ‘I thought about nothing but her for almost an hour?!’ he thought. ‘I spent that much of my time just thinking about that?’ he shakes his head in denial. As usual, he sleeps with his head full of problems. But this time, he found one more to be added in the list. ‘And this one is the biggest of them all,’ he thought before he’s off to wonderland.