Chapter 14

Is it...... love??

            “Yeobosayo, dugumika?” Seohyun said as soon as she answered the phone. She pulls Yuri’s hand and stops walking. Yuri looks at her, her eyes alight with curiosity. Seohyun shakes her head, she doesn’t know the number. “I don’t know,” she mouthed to Yuri.  

              “Seohyun-ah, it’s Anna,” she said. She felt pity for her friend, her voice sounded so tired. She paused for a few moments to wait for Seohyun’s reaction.

                “Huh? Anna? Oh my God! Anna! Where in the world have you been?! We have been searching everywhere for you! Whose phone are you using? Do you know how worried we were when you just vanished out of thin air without saying a word? I thought you were kidnapped. We almost reported you missing to the police!” she said all without pausing. Anna smiles through the phone.

                “Seohyun, calm down, it’s okay. I’m fine. Now, I’m sure Yuri is driving to the police station, right? Tell her to go back. I’m not kidnapped. Just stop first. Then put me on speaker so you won’t have to explain it to her all over again,” she said, trying to calm Seohyun down.

                 “Yuri-ah, pull over. Anna wants to talk to us,” Seohyun instructed Yuri who is driving. Yuri looks at her with a frown on her face.

                  “Anna? Do you mean Anna who we are about to report missing to the police? Where is she? That girl needs to know all the consequences of her vanishing into thin air without telling us anything,” said Yuri. She feels angry yet relieved that Anna is finally in contact with them.

                  “Yuri-ah, save your lecture about safety for later when Anna actually gets back to us. We need to hear out her explanation first,” said Seohyun, frustrated. Anna chuckles hearing her friends’ bickering. They have always been like that ever since she known them. How on earth did they become friends with each other is still a question to Anna. They are just too different from each other. ‘Well, I guess they compliment each other,’ she thought secretly to herself. 

                   The conversation died away while Anna waits patiently for Yuri to stop the car from moving.

                   “Anna, we’re ready. Now tell us what actually happened to you when you suddenly disappeared last night,” Seohyun instructed Anna while Yuri, to Anna’s astonishment, just stays quiet.

                  Anna inhales a lungful of air. She already has her story prepared when they were busy arguing with each other.

                 “Well, you guys know how I always sleep when we get into the car after class, right? I kinda go carried away by my tiredness and I slept in bus no. 4. Sure enough, when I woke up, I ended up in Incheon. Seeing the bus had already stopped running at the time, I went to stay at my friend’s house. You guys don’t know about him.  I met him at the airport when I first came to Korea. I forgot to tell you guys about him. About not calling you guys to inform that I’ll be staying at is house, I’m sorry. My phone died and I thought that it’s already too late to call you guys. I don’t wan to mess with your sleeping time,” she ends her story with a joke to lighten up the mood.

               “Wait, it’s a HE?! You stayed at a guy’s house last night?” Yuri asks Anna to make sure what she heard just now is correct.

                “Yes, it’s a guy’s house,” she said, sighing. “It’s not like anything happened though. I mean his mom is in the same house,” she explains, a bit defensive of herself.

                 “Um, Anna? Are you sure that you’re not TOO BUSY doing SOMETHING that you forgot to call us. I mean, you can call using his phone, right?” Seohyun asks playfully emphasizing on certain parts to make sure hr message is delivered.

                  Anna blushed. She doesn’t expect Seohyun to ask THAT kind of question. “Seohyun-ah, NOTHING happened, alright? It’s just that I forgot that he as a phone. I mean, you can’t possibly remember all that when you’re too tired,” she said defensively.

                “Too tired doing what Anna?” Yuri asks playfully before chuckling with Seohyun. Anna is getting annoyed with her friends.

                  “Yah! If you continue this, I won’t come back to the apartment ever! Then you and Seohyun can think of a way to eat without me. In the matter of months, I think you both will have to work in order to get money to pay for all your expenses,” she said, no longer suppressing the anger she had been holding in.

                  “Owh, don’t be like that, Anna. We’re just kidding. Although I do understand why you would want to stay,” said Seohyun, giggling again.

                  “That’s it, I’m hanging up,” said Anna, frustrated.

                  “Anna! Wait! When are you come back?” Seohyun said frantically.

                  “I don’t know. I’ll call when I get there,” said Anna sulking. Then she immediately hung up on Seohyun. She just can’t stand those kinds of jokes.

                  “See! Look at what you did! Now who’s going to cook for us?!” Seohyun asks Yuri. Yuri frowns at her.

                  “Me? What did I do? You are the one who started it all. And now you’re blaming me?!” Yuri retorted. Seohyun stays quiet, pouting.

                   “Who do you think that guy is? Her boyfriend?” Yuri asks her.

                   “I don’t know. She never told us anything about meeting a guy when she came here,” said Seohyun, smiling mischievously. Yuri, who glances at her at the time, pulls out the same kind of smile. They drive back to their apartment, knowing there would be no police report being made concerning Anna because she is definitely safe somewhere in Incheon.