After Afterlife #6: The Donor And The Recipient

Exo Beats

     

 

After Afterlife #6: The Donor And The Recipient (HunHan)

 

 

Three months.

 

 

It’s been three months since Luhan started med school.

 

 

“Ah, I hate Biology the most, seriously,” Minho complained beside him as he fixed his things after the bell rang.

 

“Says the one whose dream is to be a surgeon,” Luhan teased.

 

“Shut up, you. I knew meeting you on the train and becoming your friend is an absolutely bad idea,” Minho replied.

 

 

The two people walked side by side as they passed through the university’s hallways. They crossed another building for their next class, but just then they saw the bulletin board was being crowded with the other students. Out of curiosity, they checked it out.

 

 

“Summer internship for medical students, limited slots available. For more details…” Minho read aloud.

 

“Wow, this is a great chance! We should apply,” Luhan said excitedly as he saved the contact numbers immediately.

 

 

After a few weeks, the results of the internship application were released. The two were very lucky to have been given a slot.

 

 

“I can’t believe this! We’re going to be interns!” Luhan was as excited as any other.

 

“And not just an ordinary internship. Others get to work at pharmacies and drug stores and clinics, but we get to work at a hospital! Man, we’re so lucky.” Minho was in his peak of happiness, too.

 

 

A few more days and then summer break came. The two immediately checked on what hospital they were assigned.

 

 

“I don’t know what kind of hospital this is, but it’s still a hospital. Minho, what do you think?”

 

“I think my aunt said something about it. According to her, this hospital has many patients who are in need of organ donations. I don’t know if I remember it correctly though.”

 

“Oh, that’s fine. At least it’s not a mental institution or something.” They both laughed.

 

 

On their first day of internship, both were excited. They were given a tour first around the hospital although it’s not that big, but just in case they get ordered around.

 

 

The two friends were actually enjoying what they are doing. They get to see how people work at this field, and what the real world’s like. Being a doctor is not a joke, and they can see it.

 

 

“Luhan, can you please deliver this to room 207? Tell the patient that it’s time to drink his medicine.”

 

“Okay, sir. I’ll deliver it immediately.” Luhan said enthusiastically.

 

 

As he reached the floor, he immediately looked for the said room. But one thing’s not right: he forgot to ask the patient’s name for verification. What if he gave the medicine to the wrong person? He could’ve killed him!

 

 

He looked at the prescription and luckily the name was there. He arrived at his destination and looked at the patient’s name posted outside. It matches the prescription.

 

 

Three knocks. And then, “Oh Sehun-ssi?” He opened the sliding door and found the patient sleeping.

 

“Should I wake him up?” Luhan asked himself. In the end, he did.

 

“Oh Sehun-ssi. Oh Sehun-ssi, wake up. You need to drink your medicine on time.” He nudged the boy and luckily he’s not that hard to wake up.

 

 

The patient slowly opened his eyelids, his lashes fluttering. As he opened his eyes, he blinked a few more times to focus his eyes. And then they landed on the person beside his bed.

 

 

Luhan was a little startled. He had been analyzing the patient’s features: dark brown hair as if the sun tanned it too much, fair skin complexion, and his body frame that looks healthy, not to mention his sharp jawline. “Oh Sehun-ssi, sorry to disturb your slumber, but you need to drink your medicine now.” Luhan was being as kind as he could, and the patient just stared at him as the capsule was given. He drank it immediately and consumed half of the water in the glass.

 

“Thank you,” he said softly, and then he smiled a bit. Luhan left the room after that.

 

 

“Sehun. I’m Oh Sehun.”

 

 

Something flashed his mind. Oh Sehun…where did I here that name again?

 

 

The next days were fine as well. Unfortunately, Luhan wasn’t given a chance to visit Room 207 again. Something’s up with Sehun, he feels it. He just doesn’t know what.

 

 

After their internship, Luhan and Minho go home together like always. But Luhan…

 

 

“I’m sorry, but can you go first? My uncle is confined in this hospital, and I want to go visit him.”

 

“Oh, sure. I hope your uncle gets well soon.”

 

“Thanks!” Luhan ran inside the hospital again and went straight to Room 207.

 

 

He first checked if there were any other visitors. There were none.

 

 

He knocked three times again before speaking. “Oh Sehun…ssi?”

 

 

Sehun was looking outside the window, looking at the night view of Seoul. He was so amazed that he didn’t hear Luhan.

 

 

Luhan cleared his throat. “Excuse me?”

 

 

Finally Sehun spared him a glance.

 

 

“Can I come in?” Luhan asked with a small smile. Sehun nodded.

 

 

As soon as Luhan went inside the room, he grabbed a chair and sat beside Sehun’s hospital bed. Sehun went back to looking at the night view of the city, but he remembered that he has a visitor so he looked back.

 

 

“Sorry for coming in randomly. But I’m not here to harm you or anything, I just wanted to be friends.”

 

 

Sehun didn’t speak for a while. After a few moments, he asked, “Why?”

 

“I just want to. Is that bad?” Luhan asked with a convincing smile. Sehun shook his head saying, ‘no’.

 

“My name is Luhan. Nice to meet you, Sehun.” Luhan extended his hand for a handshake. It took a while, but Sehun returned it.

 

 

Since then, every after his internship, Luhan visits Sehun on a daily basis. Sometimes he brings a basket of fruits and other healthy stuff for Sehun to eat. He also tells Sehun what happens each day, and Sehun listens happily to Luhan’s stories.

 

 

“Enough about me. What about you, Sehun? You should learn to talk too, you know?” By now Luhan realized that Sehun isn’t the talkative type, but he pays attention to what he says everytime.

 

“What do you want to know?”

 

“Everything? Anything? You choose. It’s your life,” Luhan reassured.

 

“I don’t know where to start.”

 

“Well, how about this, I’ll just ask a question, and you start from there.”

 

“Sounds good.”

 

“Okay. So first, Sehun, why are you here?” The question caught Sehun for a moment, but he replied.

 

“I’m in need of a donation.” Of course. Luhan knew what this hospital is for.

 

“What kind?”

 

“I need a heart.

 

 

Silence.

 

 

“Ah…how long have you been confined here?” Luhan continued.

 

“A year, maybe. Or two. Or three. I’ve lost count.”

 

“Why? Is it that long?”

 

“You won’t believe me but I’ve been here since forever.” Luhan laughed at the comparison, while Sehun just stared at him. This guy…why does it feel that I’ve met him before?

 

 

“I wanted to become a doctor. I want to continue with my life hearing other people saying ‘thank you’. My sister always said those words, and after she died, I can’t help it. I studied hard, too. Then I got caught into a train accident. We had difficulties, and after a few days, I died.”

 

 

 

“But my organs were up for donation. I bet I saved someone’s life there in the real world.”

 

 

Lu…Han?

 

 

“Luhan, can I ask you something?”

 

“Sure. What is it?”

 

“Are you…a student from a med school?”

 

“Hmm? Yeah. How did you know? Oh right, I’m an intern here.”

 

“And you had a little sister?”

 

“How did you—“

 

“You brought her books to read everytime. And you love hearing her words of thanks, that’s why you wanted to become a doctor. But your sister died—“

 

“STOP!” Sehun didn’t realize but Luhan’s eyes were crying. “Just stop…” Luhan slowly lowered his head. But then he got his things and left the room.

 

LUHAN - OUR TOMORROW [PLAY FOR BG MUSIC]

 

 

Sehun hadn’t seen Luhan since that day. He felt guilty for what he said. He shouldn’t have said those words about Luhan’s painful past. But why does he know it in the first place?

 

 

Luhan was spaced out the whole time. Why did he even leave the room? He’s such an idiot, still trapped in the past when it’s all gone. But something tells him that those were not the only memories he’s supposed to have. And just then…

 

 

“I like being with you.”

 

“You saved my life long ago, Luhan.”

 

“What are you talking about now?”

 

“Your heart is beating inside of me. I received it as a donation when I was alive.”

 

“So please, Luhan. Say those words again.”

 

“No! I don’t want you to…to…”

 

“Please…”

 

 “I love you, Sehun.”

 

“Let me believe in what you believe, Luhan. Let me believe that life can be wonderful.”

 

“I love you, Sehun.”

 

 “I hope you’ll do well in this world, Luhan.”

 

 “Let’s be together…forever…”

 

 “Thank you, Luhan. Thank you…”

 

 

“Sehun…” The words came out of Luhan’s mouth unexpectedly. “Sehun. My Sehun.”

 

 

He remembered everything.

 

EXO.

Obliteration.

Cheonsa.

Plans against Cheonsa.

And most importantly, Sehun.

 

 

He ran as fast as he could.

 

 

Without knocking he immediately opened the door.

 

 

“Sehun?”

 

 

But no one was there.

 

 

Luhan started to panic. Where’s Sehun? Where’s my Sehun? Where is he?

 

 

A nurse came passing by and he immediately asked for help.

 

 

“Oh, sir, he went to the comfort room.” Are you kidding me?!

 

“Oh. Okay. Thank you.”

 

 

Luhan entered the room and waited patiently for Sehun to come back.

 

 

As the door opened, it was like a slow-motion for Luhan. Sehun was there, his eyes to the ground. He slowly lifted his head up, and his eyes met with his lover’s.

 

 

“L-Lu—“Luhan rushed to Sehun and immediately hugged him.

 

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry for leaving you. You must be upset because of me. Go on, hit me. Stab me in the chest or something.” Sehun couldn’t help but let out a hearty laugh at Luhan’s statement.

 

“Why? Why are you laughing? You shouldn’t—“

 

“I really love you, you know?” That was enough to shut Luhan up. He saw that small tears are about to fall from Sehun’s eyes.

 

“Who says I don’t?” Luhan also cried. After a few moments of silence, he spoke again. “Yah, I thought you were gone or something! Then I found out you’re only in the toilet. Aish.”

 

“Why would I be gone?” Sehun asked.

 

“Well…I just thought—“

 

“Remember what you said? ‘Let’s be together…forever…’

 

“I was just afraid. Sorry.”

 

“Don’t worry,” Sehun held Luhan’s face. “I won’t leave you.”

 

“Not this day. Or tomorrow. Not anytime. I’ll always be with you...”

 

“...forever.”

 

 

- FIN -

******

 

Hello! :) It's been a long time, hasn't it? I'm sorry. Why was I absent for a long time? School+Graduation+College preparation+Writer's block. 

 

But until the end, I wanted to say thank you to all of you people who supported me throughout. I wouldn't even have the guts to continue this story without your lovable comments and support. Thank you thank you thank you <3 *huuuuugs*

 

I also have other stories, you may want to check them out here. :)

 

So this is emeraaald, signing out for Exo Beats. Until then, folks. :D