After Afterlife #4: The Twin Brother And The Only Child

Exo Beats

 

KAISOOOOOOOOO! :)

 

P.S. This is a long one, haha. But I hope you enjoy!~

 

**

 

After Afterlife #4: The Twin Brother And The Only Child

 

      

 

“Kim Jongin. You’ve heard about him, right?”

 

“Yes. He’s that young dancer from EXO Entertainment. I saw him live, he’s really good.”

 

“Ahhh you’re one lucky girl.”

 

 

Jongin’s popularity is rising as time passes by. He is well known not only locally but also internationally. He is a solo artist, but he made his way through the music industry.

 

 

He started around 3 years ago, and it didn’t take long for him to debut. People say he was so good he’d become a legend.

 

 

But what people didn’t know was that Jongin had a dark past behind him. He remembered someone named Lee Taemin, with that guy driving his car towards Jongin. And…and…

 

 

He can’t remember.

 

 

That day Jongin finished practicing early. His new routine was simple, and he wanted to rest after his new comeback. He passed by an acoustic bar, and someone’s voice—someone’s beautiful voice—stopped him from driving. As he entered the place, someone was indeed singing in front. It was if the voice was calling him. He looked at the singer, and the singer’s eyes, those big round eyes…they were looking at him as well.

 

 

“I’ll never go far away from you. Even the sky will tell you that i need you so. For this is all i know…”

 

 

Then Jongin found himself singing along. “I’ll never go far away from you…”he whispered.

 

 

He sat there for a few more hours, listening to that precious voice like it’s all he ever wanted. Sometimes he would close his eyes, and something inside him sparks. Something inside him blooms like a flower, and it feels so nice.

 

 

Jongin saw that the singer sang his last song and made his way down that set-up stage. Jongin was immediately alarmed. Maybe the singer’s shift was over? That’s right. So he made his way to the back door, hiding himself in the shadows. Indeed, in a few minutes, the singer made his way out and walked away. Jongin decided to follow him.

 

 

Until just before a big house, the singer stopped.

 

 

“Who are you?” He asked, his back facing Jongin. Jongin was stunned and hadn’t answered.

 

“I said,” he turned around. “Who are you?”

 

“Why are you following me?”

 

“I’m not a bad person,” Jongin finally said. “I just…I don’t know. The alcohol got into me.” He sighed. “I’m sorry.”

 

“Go,” the singer said. “And never come back.”

 

 

Jongin’s heart pained at those words.

 

 

**

 

 

“Kyungsoo. How’s your day honey?” Kyungsoo was lying on his bed when his mother peeped from the door.

 

“I’m fine mom. Just…some creepy guy followed me. He’s even drunk! Boy that was scary.” Kyungsoo’s mother laughed and so did he. But her tone got serious afterwards.

 

“Honey…there’s something I’ve got to tell you.” Suddenly Kyungsoo sat up as his mother sat down beside him. Kyungsoo saw the pain in his mother’s eyes and he knew. “It’s about your brother.”

 

“What is it this time?” Kyungsoo asked. Suddenly his mother caressed his head.

 

“Are you still upset about what happened in the past?” Kyungsoo bowed his head. Then he started to cry. “We love you honey, okay? Your dad and I love you so much. Don’t think about anything else.”

 

“I know mom. You were saying about Kwangsoo?” Kyungsoo wiped his tears and smile.

 

“He’ll be coming back next month.”

 

“Does that mean I won’t be working at the bar anymore?”

 

“Why do you sound so upset?”

 

“No. I’m actually happy about that.” Kyungsoo glanced at the clock. “It’s getting late, mom. Maybe you should sleep.” His mother kissed his forehead.

 

“You too honey. Good night.”

 

 

As Kyungsoo tucked himself on bed, he remembered the guy from earlier.

 

 

Stupid Kyungsoo. Why did he push him away like that?

 

 

Kyungsoo was so frustrated in himself. Everything is a lie. Everything.

 

 

Kim Jongin. Of course Kyungsoo knew him. How couldn’t he? He loves him.

 

 

Kyungsoo remembers every single thing that’s related to Jongin. Kai. That was his other name. He was a dancer before, but he was killed by his own best friend. Then he was in the afterlife. And that’s where Kyungsoo met him.

 

 

Why can’t he tell Jongin? Something’s holding him back, and he doesn’t know what it is.

 

 

“Whatever,” Kyungsoo muttered to himself. “I’ll just sleep for tonight.”

 

 

**

 

 

Like the usual, Kyungsoo went to work. But his heart leaped for a moment as he saw Jongin among the crowd.

 

 

And the best part is Jongin is looking directly at him.

 

 

After Kyungsoo’s work, Jongin’s phone rang. He went outside the place to answer it, and as he ended the call, a familiar face passed by him.

 

 

Jongin stared at the person who walked by for a while until he recognized the face.

 

 

The singer’s face.

 

 

Jongin took this as an opportunity. He went to ask for his name.

 

 

“Uh…I’m Kwangsoo. You’re weird.” But Jongin reached his hand out to offer a handshake.

 

“I-I’m Jongin. Nice to meet you.” And that handshake was awkwardly returned.

 

“Do you live around here?”

 

“Yeah. Actually, our home’s just one ride away.”

 

“Oh, really? Are you going home now?”

 

“No, I’ll go see someone in a while.” Kwangsoo looked at his watch. “And it’s just about time. I—“

 

“Okay, Kwangsoo. Can I get your number?” Kwangsoo involuntarily blushed.

 

“I-I guess it’s fine…” And they exchanged phone numbers.

 

“Okay…I have to go now. See you when I see you.”

 

 

Kyungsoo was fixing his things when suddenly, his twin brother’s presence surprised him.

 

 

“Hey. What are you doing here?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

“I got bored, okay? Don’t mock on me like that.”

 

“Don’t you know that it’s dangerous for you outside?” Kyungsoo groaned in frustration. “Let’s go home.”

 

 

While they rode the bus, Kwangsoo talked to Kyungsoo about the guy he met earlier.

 

 

“He’s quite cute, although there’s a dark charm in his eyes. But that’s okay.” Kyungsoo was too tired to give a comment about his brother’s story.

 

“Yeah. I bet he is.”

 

“And his name was…wait, what was it again?” Kwangsoo stopped to think for a while. Kyungsoo was about to fall asleep when a word perked his mind up.

 

“Right, his name’s Jongin.”

 

“Who?” Kyungsoo suddenly woke up and became interested with the situation.

 

“Jongin. Yes, yes, that’s it.” Kwangsoo snapped his fingers at the sudden return of memory. “Why, do you know him?”

 

“No, not at all.”

 

 

Kyungsoo just looked outside the bus window, his mind wandering far away.

 

 

**

 

 

Hey, it’s me. Are you free tomorrow? :)

 

- Jongin

 

 

Jongin just sent a text message to Kwangsoo. After a few seconds, he replied.

 

 

[Yes, of course. Why?]

[Wanna hang out?]

[I guess that’s okay.]

 

 

The texting session went on for another hour, until Kwangsoo bid goodbye and just told Jongin that they’ll continue the next day. Jongin can’t wait.

 

 

“Where are you going?” Kyungsoo asked his brother as he saw him dressing up.

 

“Gonna hang out with someone,” Kwangsoo replied as he buttoned the last one up.

 

“Who’re you gonna hang out with? You seem more dressed up than the usual.”

 

“Remember the guy I told you about? Jongin? He asked me if I’m free, and I said yes.” Kwangsoo smiled a little. “Gotta go now. See ya.”

 

“Mhm.”

 

 

Kyungsoo’s heart ached at those words.

 

 

**

 

 

“So your stage name’s Kai? That’s cool.”

 

“The company chose it for me. It means ‘opening a door’ in Chinese.”

 

“That’s nice.” Kwangsoo smiled. “Can I call you Kai?”

 

“Of course.”

 

 

Kwangsoo and Jongin decided to go to the park since the weather’s nice. They both just walked around while getting to know each other. When they got tired, they sat down in a nearby bench and continued talking. They also ate together and did fun things. The day ended and they said their goodbye.

 

 

It didn’t end there. They went on for another one, and another one. But on the fourth one, things changed.

 

 

[Hey, don’t forget about tomorrow!]

 

 

Kyungsoo heard Kwangsoo’s phone buzz. He had a feeling on who sent a message. Kwangsoo’s not around, he went to the hospital for a check-up, leaving his phone behind. Kyungsoo nervously opened and what he expected was right.

 

 

“If I don’t do this, I’ll lose him.”

 

 

He hesitantly replied,

 

 

[Of course.]

 

 

Kyungsoo was the one who met with Jongin. His heart fluttered at the sight of the man he loves running towards him.

 

 

“Hey. You’re early.” Kyungsoo smiled.

 

“I’m excited to see you.” Kai’s world stopped for a moment because of those words. He blushed, taken aback by the sudden attack.

 

“Wow, what’s with you today? You’re not like that the last time we hanged out.”

 

“Nothing, I just feel happy.” Kyungsoo flashed a sweet smile, meaning every word he said.

 

 

It continued like that. Kyungsoo knew it was wrong, but what can he do? He loves him.

 

 

And he can’t lose him at that.

 

 

Kai wasn’t dumb. Since that day, he knew ‘Kwangsoo’ changed. But not for the worst, it’s for the better. He liked the change, and he’s starting to fall for him as they continued to go out for maybe…the seventh time? It doesn’t matter. He felt so light, as if they’ve been together before. He feels just like home.

 

 

“’Til the next time, Jongin.” And Kyungsoo went home.

 

 

Jongin.

 

 

Jongin.

 

 

Jongin.

 

 

Jongin.

 

 

He never told Kwangsoo his real name.

 

 

During late at night, that’s when Kai…no, Jongin, remembered everything.

 

 

Kyungsoo. That’s his name. His loved one’s name.

 

 

He was known as D.O. Jongin was in the afterlife, and that’s where he met that owl-eyed person who tortured him a lot. But then…

 

 

“You’re not the D.O hyung I knew now.”

 

 

“What…” Jongin shut his eyes. What is happening?

 

 

“You know what? When I was alive, I had a twin brother.”

 

 

Is his twin brother…Kwangsoo?

 

 

“In both of us, he is the better one. We do the same things, wear the same clothes, sleep in the same room, but my parents liked him better. I can do things as much as him, but my parents would scold me for being a copycat of my brother. But when he became sick, things turned upside down.”

 

 

That’s why…that’s why he met Kwangsoo at the bar that night. Maybe because he also works there? And he looked so pale that night!

 

 

“That’s when I had the spotlight to myself. They made me pretend to be him, and continue with life as him. I was a kid; I didn’t know that they were using me. I achieved better, but when I was about to die, I realized something. The one dying isn’t me. It was my brother.”

 

 

Then he remembered everything. From D.O…, no, Kyungsoo, hurting him like hell, taking out all his anger to him, hypnotizing him and all.

 

 

But what came back to him the most is the feeling that his heart feels whenever Kyungsoo’s around. Love.

 

 

He opened his eyes and they almost popped out. He sent a message to Kwangsoo, and he’ll confirm his thoughts tomorrow.

 

 

The next time, the real Kwangsoo was the one who appeared. Kai’s mind was confused all of a sudden. No. It can’t be. He’s with Kwangsoo right now, the one he loves, right?

 

 

“Kai, what’s wrong?”

 

 

That’s when he knew.

 

 

This person isn’t the one he loves. It’s someone else.

 

 

“Kwangsoo, could you possibly…have a twin brother…or something?”

 

“Hmm? Yeah. How did you know?”

 

 

He knew it.

 

 

“Kwangsoo…you see…your brother…I…”

 

“Hmm? What’s with him? Do you even know him?”

 

“I love him.”

 

“No…you don’t…”

 

“I do, Kwangsoo. I really do.” He stared straight into Kwangsoo’s eyes, as if he stares deep into his soul.

 

“How could you? You can’t love him. You haven’t met him yet.”

 

 

That’s when Jongin told him about everything. Kwangsoo didn’t want to believe that there’s such thing as the afterlife, but after the desperate look on Kai’s eyes, Kwangsoo somehow managed to believe on what he said.

 

 

“I first heard him sing in the bar. Then when I saw you, I thought he was you. It has been a misunderstanding all along.”

 

“Okay. It’s clearer now. Good thing I haven’t fallen for you deeply yet or else I would’ve killed myself.” Kai and Kwangsoo laughed at that until Kwangsoo glanced at his watch.

 

“It’s almost the end of his shift! You better catch him this time, okay?”

 

“Okay. Thanks for understanding, Kwangsoo. Someday, you will have your own special someone.”

 

“I can’t wait for that.” He smiled. Both he and Kai rushed to the bus stop to go to the bar. This is it, Jongin thought. I hope things will be set right.

 

 

**

 

I'LL NEVER GO - ERIK SANTOS [PLAY FOR BG MUSIC] [Erik Santos is a singer from here (PH) and this is one of his English songs. Play it, the song's lovely :)]

 

“And for the last song tonight…I decided to choose this song because the person I love doesn’t love me back. But…I’ll never go far away from him. I don’t think I can handle it.” Kyungsoo’s audience awed in pity, but he just smiled.

 

 

You always ask me

Those words I say

And telling me what it means to me

 

 

Kyungsoo smiled at the lyrics. He remembered the time when he first met Jongin at the afterlife. It was all coming back to him again.

 

 

Every single day

You always act this way

For how many times i told you

I love you for this is all I know

 

 

Sure, they were in bad terms because of Kyungsoo himself. But Jongin…Jongin had been so kind to attempt to stop his wrongdoings.

 

 

Come to me and hold me

And you will see

The love i give

For you still hold the key

 

 

Jongin was so kind to remind him that what he’s doing doesn’t have a point. And not only that. Jongin reminded him that he is Do Kyungsoo. He returned Kyungsoo’s mind to himself, and how can he not be happy about that?

 

 

Every single day

You always act this way

For how many times i told you

I love you for this is all i know

 

 

Kyungsoo shut his eyes while singing, absorbing every word he says…with only Jongin in his mind. Jongin…who was kind enough to love someone like him.

 

 

I'll never go far away from you

Even the sky will tell you

That I need you so

For this is all I know

I'll never go far away from you

 

 

Jongin finally arrived at the bus stop near the bar. Kwangsoo and he hurried towards the place, but when he heard Kyungsoo’s voice…Kyungsoo’s beautiful voice…from outside, his heartbeat quickened. Right. His heart beats for Kyungsoo, that’s why.

 

 

Come to me and hold me

And you will see

The love I give

For you still hold the key

 

 

He ran inside, and he was stunned at what he saw: Kyungsoo singing while his eyes were closed. It was as if he feels the song, like there’s a story flowing through his mind while singing.

 

 

Every single day you always act this way

For how many times I told you

I love you for this is all I know

 

 

Something tells Kyungsoo that he should open his eyes. And so he did. There, standing a few feet away from him and against the bar’s entrance, was the love of his life. Kim Jongin. It was a breathtaking sight, because his eyes were also staring at Kyungsoo’s. Kyungsoo didn’t regret opening his eyes.

 

 

I'll never go far away from you

Even the sky will tell you

That I need you so

For this is all I know

I'll never go far away from you

 

 

“Kyungsoo…” Jongin didn’t care anymore. He slowly walked towards the stage. Kyungsoo wanted to caress his face so bad, tell him how much he loves him, but he’s on the job right now.

 

 

Jongin is still approaching the stage. Many people looked at him like he’s some weird person from the mental hospital, but Jongin couldn’t care less. If Kyungsoo’s at the end of the road he’s walking, then he’d happily walk the way, no matter how long the road is.

 

 

Meanwhile, Kyungsoo’s song is almost finished. He didn’t know what to do. Should he end like the usual? Should he talk to Jongin? Should he even spare a glance at him? He didn’t know.

 

 

I'll never go far away from you

Even the sky will tell you

That I need you so

For this is all I know

I'll never go far away from you

 

 

Jongin finally reached the stage as soon as the song finished. People clapped for Kyungsoo, but Kyungsoo’s whole attention is only on the man in front of him, who finally spoke a word.

 

 

“Kyungsoo…” Kyungsoo’s eyes widened. It didn’t matter anymore. He hugged Jongin with all his might.

 

“You remember everything now, Jongin?” He asked while softly crying in Jongin’s arms.

 

“Yes.” Jongin let go of him. “And Kyungsoo, I just want you to know that…”

 

“…I’ll never go far away from you…again.”

 

 

Kyungsoo hugged him tighter this time. All the people had smiles on their faces and saw nothing wrong with what the two men were doing in front.

 

 

“I really love you, Jongin.” Jongin kissed Kyungsoo’s forehead before responding.

 

“I love you more.”

 

 

**

 

I hope you like this one although it's too long! Haha. I still don't know when I'll update next, but hopefully tomorrow. And tomorrow's Christmas! Merry Christmas everyone! <3 Saranghae~ *huuuugs*