Seventeenth beat!

Exo Beats

The members are back to school. As they walked together, they saw a new poster on the bulletin board for announcements.

 

 

“A singing contest is to be held…” The members continued reading the announcement.

 

 

“Baekhyun! I think you should join!” Chanyeol immediately thought of Baekhyun as he read the words ‘singing contest’.

 

 

“M-me? I’m not good at singing—“

 

 

“Oh shut up. I heard you singing once when I accidentally went into your room.”

 

 

“Well…I think Chen should be the one joining this,” Baekhyun tried to divert their attention, but he failed.

 

 

“Nah. I’m already a member of the school band. And besides, I’m not interested. You join instead,” Chen successfully brought the topic back to Baekhyun.

 

 

“I’ll help you. They said students can join as duets, too,” D.O patted his hyung’s shoulder. 

 

“You sing?” Kai questioned.

 

 

“I do. I think my voice is quite good enough.” D.O sang a few lines and all the members agreed.

 

 

“What do you think? Care to join, Baekhyun hyung?” D.O persuaded.

 

 

“Well…okay.” They cheered for the two members who will be joining. D.O started talking happily on what song they will sing or when they will practice.

 

 

But Baekhyun became nervous.

 

 

Ahh seriously. My heartbeat is really fast right now.

 

 

He took a glance at Chanyeol, and the giant was happily smiling to the others.

 

 

Chanyeol. Should I tell you or not?

 

 

**

 

 

Luhan was taking his time on seeing and appreciating the view of the sunset. It was in the afternoon, and his hobby is to look at the sunset from the school’s rooftop before heading home.

 

 

Suddenly the door creaked open. Ahh. Why do someone always interrupt my alone time?

 

 

“Chanyeol-ah, what brings you here?”

 

“Oh. You’re there, Luhan hyung. I was thinking of just seeing the students from the top view. I wonder what it will be like,” he said and immediately took a peek.

 

“They look like ants, especially Baekhyun.” He pointed a finger at the said one. “He’s so short.”

 

“And you’re so tall,” Luhan commented. Chanyeol just flashed his happy virus smile to his hyung.

 

“You ears are quite big,” Luhan noticed.

 

“Everyone says that.” Chanyeol held his ears as if to emphasize the comment.

 

“But you know, I didn’t get to use these ears when I was alive.” Chanyeol frowned.

 

“Why? What happened?” Luhan seemed uncomfortable when he saw that Chanyeol’s expression immediately changed. He doesn’t get sad easily…

 

“Well. When I was alive, I was born deaf.” Luhan’s world stopped for a moment due to the shock.

 

“D-deaf? You were deaf?”

 

“Do I have to repeat myself, hyung?” Chanyeol flashed a happy smile again. Seriously, these people kept on smiling as if nothing happened.

 

“It must have been really hard for you.” Luhan just stared at the sunset because he can’t look at Chanyeol due to what he heard.

 

“It really was. But I got over it now.” The both of them just admired the nice view.

 

“I’m excited for the singing contest, hyung.” Chanyeol’s giddy voice came back.

 

“Why? You’re excited as if you’re one of the contestants.” Luhan just smiled at his dongsaeng’s playfulness.

 

“I’m excited to hear Baekhyun’s voice.” Luhan looked at Chanyeol for what he said. That smile seems happier than the usual as he said those words.

 

“Don’t tell me you actually like him,” Luhan predicted.

 

“Who knows?” Chanyeol shrugged but based on the smile he had, he agrees to the statement.

 

 

 

Luhan chose to not to say more about the topic. They actually look cute when they’re together, he thought.

 

 

“What do I do, hyung?” Chanyeol asked, now serious.

 

“Why?”

 

“I really like him, you know?”

 

“Then tell him.”

 

 

Chanyeol just smiled.

 

 

 

**

 

 

The members went to the Multi-Purpose Hall earlier than the contest for them to sit wherever they want. Before they went to the audience seats, they first went backstage to see the Baekhyun and D.O.

 

 

After sending their regards to the two, they went to sit on the audience’s side. But Kai and Chanyeol were left because they would like to say their personal good luck words to the two.

 

 

“I know you can do it. Don’t be nervous or your voice will crack.” D.O smiled at Kai’s sincerity.

 

“I am not. Cheer for me, okay?”

 

“Of course. Good luck. Love you.” Kai patted D.O’s head and left. D.O heard those last words and immediately blushed.

 

“Yah! Go find a seat there. The empty ones will be filled out if you get late,” Baekhyun scolded Chanyeol.

 

“I already reserved a seat beside Kai. Don’t worry. I just want to send my personal good luck to you.” Chanyeol held Baekhyun’s cheeks with his big hands. Baekhyun blushed immediately.

 

“You don’t have to touch my cheeks! Aish.”

 

“Yah Byun Baekhyun. I know you can do it. Baekkie fighting!” Chanyeol said and pumped his fist.

 

“Thank you, Yeollie.”  They both smiled as they called each other’s nicknames.

 

“We’re being called now for the performance order.” D.O interrupted the two.

 

“Okay. See you!”

 

“I’ll cheer for you!” Chanyeol waved goodbye and went to his seat.

 

 

I’ll see him after the contest. Good luck, Baekhyun.

 

 

**

 

 

“Why are they not coming out yet? The contest is almost over,” Chanyeol said impatiently.

 

“I think they picked the last number,” Sehun said.

 

 

And they did.

 

 

 

“And for the finale, let us welcome Byun Baekhyun and Do Kyungsoo!”

 

 

EXO K- MOONLIGHT

 

 

The members cheered loudly and even stood up. The two contestants saw them, which gained them the confidence they needed.

 

 

“Woah. Their voices are so good,” Luhan commented.

 

 

“I am very proud considering I’m their leader,” Suho said.

 

“Yah. You’re just the leader but I’m the one who actually trained them,” Chen side commented.

 

“Here he goes again.” Xiumin rolled his eyes.

 

“They can actually be famous with those golden vocal cords.” Sehun smiled.

 

“D.O-ya isn’t shy anymore, and Baekhyun hyung sounds professional.” Tao cannot believe that he actually complimented the two.

 

 

Kai and Chanyeol went silent as they tried to absorb the singing voices. It was like they are being hypnotized, but they’re not. D.O didn’t use his power this time. They were just singing there comfortably on the stage.

 

 

And they couldn’t be more proud.

 

 

After the performance, the contestants were lined up on the stage. Everyone held hands before the winner/s are announced.

 

 

And the two members won.

 

 

“WOAH! WE DID IT! WE DID IT, KYUNGSOO! WE ACTUALLY DID IT! OH MY GOD!” Baekhyun freaked out as they were announced as winners.

 

“I CAN’T BELIEVE IT, TOO, HYUNG!” They hugged each other on stage. The other members went up to the stage as well, and patted them both and showed how they were so proud of the two.

 

“Encore! Encore! Encore!” The audience chanted. The two complied, and after the closing remarks, everyone went home.

 

 

 

**

 

 

Well, not really home, they just went outside the MPH.

 

 

As Baekhyun was walking his way home, someone walked beside him and joined.

 

 

 

“Chanyeol-ah, I told you to not walk beside me because I will look shorter.”

 

 

Chanyeol just laughed at the short one’s remark and put his arm around his shoulders.

 

 

“You’re already short, Baekkie. And sometimes you don’t mind me walking with you.”

 

 

Baekhyun just remained silent. Chanyeol sighed and spoke again with all his heart.

 

 

“When you were singing at the stage, I was just looking at you. I only heard you sing once, but after hearing your voice again, it was like my heart was being absorbed with the song.”

 

“I was so proud of you I wanted to shout, but of course that would be inappropriate. But God, my feelings for you can’t be contained anymore.” Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol with wide eyes. But before Chanyeol could speak, Baekhyun already said it.

 

“Chanyeol, I love you.” Chanyeol’s mouth made an ‘O’ after hearing that.

 

“Me too, Baekhyun. Me too.”

 

“You know, Chanyeol, when I was alive, I was mute. And all I wanted was to speak. That’s why I was so noisy when I came to this world, right? It was all I wanted to do.”

 

“And my genuine happiness is…to say those three words to someone I love.”

 

 

Chanyeol saw that Baekhyun is slowly disappearing. But that’s not the only thing that is happening. He was disappearing, too.

 

 

“I was born with a disability, too. I was born deaf. But in this world, I believe we’re connected to each other, Baek. Because my fulfillment is…to finally hear those three words from someone I love.”

 

“I guess we’re each other’s ‘someone’,” Baekhyun said with a smile.

 

 

There is little time left. They are really becoming transparent now.

 

 

They held each other’s hands as they said their last words.

 

 

“Shall we say those words again?” Chanyeol asked. Baekhyun smiled and spoke for the last time.

 

“I love you, Park Chanyeol.”

 

“I love you, too, Byun Baekhyun.”

 

 

And together, the two of them disappeared why holding each other’s hands.