After Afterlife #2: The Paralyzed And The Soccer Player

Exo Beats

Another special chapter featuring XiuChen!!! I SHIP XIUCHEN HARD, REALLY!! Haha. I hope you enjoy. And can you comment? I love reading comments. ^^~ Okay, you can read now :D

 

 

**

 

 

AFTER AFTERLIFE #2: THE PARALYZED AND THE SOCCER PLAYER (XiuChen)

 

   

“Jongdae, do you want some soup?”

 

“I want some, eomma. Thank you.” Jongdae smiled at his loving and caring mother. She stood up to get Jongdae some soup, but before she could leave, she the TV for Jongdae. Jongdae let out yet another thankful smile.

 

 

While his mother was making him soup, Jongdae watched the TV alone. It was on the sports channel. Jongdae doesn’t like sports; he wants to change it to the music channel. But because of his situation, he can’t move and get the remote control for himself. He turned his head to the window and just watched the birds fly.

 

 

“And the MVP for today’s game is the young star, Kim Minseok!” Jongdae’s head turned to the TV once again. Kim Minseok. Where did he hear that name again?

 

“Congratulations, Minseok-ssi. How do you feel about your team’s win today?” A guy with big round eyes and also a round nose was beside the MC. Jongdae wondered if that was Kim Minseok.

 

“I am very thankful for today because the last time that we played, we lost because of me.” All of the members of the winning team laughed alongside with him. “But now we won, and I’m glad about that.” They all cheered for him while Jongdae kept staring at the Minseok guy. Something’s up with him and Jongdae’s mind is not giving him any answers.

 

“Oh, you’re watching sports?” Jongdae’s mother popped from the door while smiling. “I thought you hate them?”

 

“Eomma, it’s your fault. You just the TV and you didn’t change the channel.” Jongdae pouted. Jongdae’s mother knew what Jongdae was feeling deep inside, so she patted his head and gave him a warm hug.

 

“It’s okay, my son,” she whispered. “It’s okay if you can’t do sports. Don’t envy them.” Jongdae was taken aback, but as the words sank in, he closed his eyes as he felt his tears coming.

 

“I know eomma. But sometimes I just can’t help it…” he said while sobbing. His mother hugged him tighter.

 

“It’s okay. I still love you, Jongdae.”

 

 

Jongdae silently cried in his mother’s arms.

 

 

**

 

 

“Minseok! Congratulations!”

 

“You did well in that game!”

 

“You’ll become successful for sure.”

 

 

Minseok was congratulated by his seniors for winning. He totally deserved it, considering the effort he put in that game. He didn’t want to repeat the past, so he did his best. And now it didn’t put to waste.

 

 

As everyone was done packing up, they had a victory party afterwards. The team had a luxurious dinner, all on the coach because he was so happy. The team finished eating as the sun was setting. Everyone went straight home, while Minseok found a vacant lot.

 

 

“No one seems to bother if I play here,” he murmured to himself. He got his own soccer ball and put his things aside. He played with the ball, kicking it with his knees and sometimes bumping with his head. He was actually enjoying himself as he thought about today: him winning the MVP award. The thought got him too excited and he kicked the ball too high and hard, crashing on one of the houses’ window. Minseok’s round eyes widened.

 

“Oh no…” He immediately got his things and went to the house. A woman welcomed him.

 

“Uhm, excuse me ma’am but—“

 

“Oh, is the ball yours?” She asked. Minseok’s face reddened.

 

“Yes. I’m so sorry for that.” The woman gave him a warm smile which set Minseok at ease.

 

“Here, come inside. It’s getting cold.” Minseok was surprised at how welcoming the woman was, considering what he did.

 

 

Minseok was led upstairs to a bedroom. The first thing he saw was a boy lying on his bed comfortably.

 

 

“There’s your ball,” he said. His eyes motioned towards the opposite side of the bed, and Minseok saw his soccer ball.

 

“I’m terribly sorry for breaking your window.” He sent an apologetic smile towards the woman and the boy, and they both just sent the same smile in return.

 

“Why don’t you sit down while I make some food for both of you?” The woman asked. She gave Minseok a chair to sit on and he gladly accepted.

 

“Thank you,” he said. The woman smiled at him and she went downstairs to get some food.

 

 

Minseok’s attention is now on the boy on the bed. As he stared at him, his head hurt, as if something triggered inside his mind.

 

 

“Hey,” he approached. The boy turned his head to him. Minseok was taken aback by the boy’s stare. It was deep, as if he was rushing through his soul.

 

“Hey. You play soccer, right?” Minseok’s eyes gleamed with delight because someone recognized him.

 

“I do. And I’m really sorry about the window.” Both of them laughed the topic off. Minseok’s eyes turned to his soccer ball and an idea flashed through him.

 

“Do you want to see some tricks?” Minseok asked. The boy smiled, a sign saying yes. Minseok stood up immediately. He held the soccer ball with his hands. And as he let it go, he focused and played with it like passing the ball from one knee to another, head-bumping, and more. When he felt that it was enough and the boy enjoyed it, he stopped before he could break another window.

 

“Food’s here,” the woman said. Minseok realized that she must be the boy’s mother.

 

 

As they finished eating, the three of them talked about Minseok playing soccer and all. It was getting late at night when Minseok decided that it’s time to go home.

 

 

“Thank you for today,” he thankfully said to both of them. His eyes lingered on the boy on the bed.

 

“I still haven’t asked you your name, right?” The boy just smiled at him before responding.

 

“My name is Jongdae.” Something flashed through Minseok’s mind: the word ‘Chen’.

 

“Chen…” he whispered. But Jongdae seemed to hear it. And his mind tells him that the name seemed to fit him.

 

“Okay, Jongdae. I’ll see you again tomorrow.” Minseok happily waved goodbye to both Jongdae and his mother.

 

 

As Minseok left the house, Jongdae’s mother smiled at him and she almost cried. It’s the first time that she saw her son this happy. And her motherly heart is proud of her son because it’s the first time that Jongdae had a friend. She gave him yet another warm hug.

 

 

“I’m really happy, eomma.”

 

“I know, I know.”

 

 

Jongdae can’t wait to see Minseok again tomorrow.

 

**

 

Minseok immediately went to Jongdae’s house the next morning. Jongdae’s mother was happy to see him like yesterday. She led him to Jongdae’s room once again, and Jongdae’s smile was so bright.

 

 

Minseok sat beside the bed again, while Jongdae’s mother went out for groceries.

 

 

“Have you ever stood up from the bed?” Minseok asked.

 

“When I take a bath, my mother lifts me.” Minseok sent him an apologetic look, but Jongdae shrugged it off.

 

“Don’t pity me, I’m totally fine with it.” Minseok knows Jongdae’s not fine, so he offered him something.

 

“Do you want to go outside, Jongdae?” Jongdae’s eyes were full of anticipation. Minseok smiled at him before getting a wheelchair.

 

“Okay, okay, there we go.” Minseok lifted up Jongdae from his bed slowly until Jongdae sat down comfortably on the wheelchair. Minseok got Jongdae a blanket since it’s a little cold outside.

 

“Oh, you’re going out?” They met Jongdae’s mother at the door and she gladly let them do what they want. As they were gone, she suddenly burst into tears as if a weight was lifted off of her.

 

“Take care, my son.”

 

 

**

 

 

“The trees are blooming,” Jongdae said while turning his head from side to side.

 

Minseok, who was happily pushing the wheelchair, smiled as well. “It’s that time of the year when it’s nice to take a walk on the streets.”

 

“I never knew it was this beautiful…” Jongdae whispered. Suddenly he started humming a song.

 

 

A song familiar to Minseok’s ears.

 

CHEN - BEST LUCK

 

And then…

 

 

“Who’s Chen?”

 

“I’m Chen, mister dumpling.”

 

 

Dumpling. Chen called him a dumpling? And who’s Chen?

 

 

 “Chen wants to replace Lay as the school band’s vocalist.”

 

“You’ve gotta be kidding me. Him? He’s going to replace Lay? Let’s see what you’ve got, camel boy.”

 

 

Minseok remembered something, like being a member in a group of boys. And this Chen…who is he?

 

 

“Do you dislike Chen that much?”

 

 

Why does Minseok dislike Chen?

 

 

“Chen…that kid. His voice made me feel nostalgic. Somehow, his voice makes you feel different. As for me, it made me think about my past. That’s why…that’s why…”

 

 

Minseok felt like crying. Slowly tears were becoming clearer for him. He’s starting to remember everything.

 

 

“So why?”

 

“I…I heard your talk with Luhan hyung the other day. And I…”

 

“You what?”

 

“Honestly… I don’t want you to be gone.”

 

 

Minseok was in the afterlife. And that’s where he met Chen. Or should he say…

 

 

“I love you. I mean it.”

 

“But…how can you say that? You don’t even know who I really am.”

 

“It doesn’t matter, Jongdae.”

 

 

…Jongdae?

 

 

“Jongdae…” Minseok whispered. When he glanced at Jongdae sitting on the wheelchair, Jongdae was crying.

 

“Minseok…Xiumin…” Minseok’s tears fell when he realized that Jongdae remembered everything, just like he did.

 

Minseok went in front of the wheelchair and knelt in front of Jongdae. “Do you remember me? Chen?” Chen let out a soft laugh while crying.

 

“You promised…”

 

“Yes.”

 

 

“I really love you, no matter what kind of handicap you might have back then.”

 

“But…I can’t really walk. I can’t get up, either. I’ll just be a burden to you if you’ll be with me.”

 

 

“Even if you’re so weak…”

 

 

“I said no matter what kind of handicap, didn’t I?! When I first met you, I admit, I didn’t really like you and the way you talk and sing, even your existence itself. But as we grew closer, I realized that you are just being Jongdae, being yourself. The person I came to meet in this world isn’t a fake. It was really you. And I love you for that.”

 

 

“Even if you can’t live without depending on anyone…”

 

“In the real world, I am sure that we’ll never meet each other, anyway. What’s the point in saying those words?”

 

 

“Even if you lose confidence in yourself…”

 

 

“I know there’s a little chance. Let’s say that there’s a 99% chance that we won’t meet ever. But that tiny 1% chance…I’ll believe in that.”

 

 

“Even if everyone has given up on you,” Minseok caressed Jongdae’s face lovingly. “I will love you.” He smiled while crying. Jongdae bowed his head, unable to wipe his tears due to his disease.

 

 

“Why?” Jongdae asked. It was the same situation back in the afterlife, when he asked Minseok why he believes in that 1% chance.

 

 

And Minseok’s answer was the same.

 

 

“Because I love you too much to believe that the impossible will become possible.”

 

 

Jongdae cried silently while Minseok hugged him. Minseok’s heart leaped with mixed feelings, but their minds were at ease. Finally they found each other in the real world, in the after afterlife.

 

 

It was like things were meant to be this way.

 

**

 

Thank you so much for supporting this story. I really love you all I'm crying. Haha. *huuuugs yooouuu allll*

 

Last one for today: