After Afterlife #5: The Deaf And The Mute

Exo Beats

 

DID I MENTION HOW MUCH I LOVE BAEKYEOL

 

 

**

 

After Afterlife #5: The Deaf and the Mute (BaekYeol)

 

     

 

 

It’s lunch time, right past twelve. This is the time when usually the restaurant that Baekhyun works at gets the most customers. And that’s when he’s the busiest since he’s the one who gets their orders.

 

 

As soon as people sat down, Baekhyun approached them with a smile while holding his notepad and pen.

 

 

Sadly, these customers are people with bad attitude.

 

 

“Hey, aren’t you going to at least say ‘good afternoon’ to us and politely ask for our orders?” Baekhyun’s grip on his pen tightened. He immediately wrote the words on his notepad:

 

Good afternoon sir. I’m sorry for forgetting my manners. May I take your order now?

 

 

As soon as he’s done writing, he showed it to the customers who were quite amused at the way he communicates with people.

 

 

“What? Why don’t you use that mouth of yours?” It happened fast, the customer gripped Baekhyun’s jaw tightly which caused Baekhyun to close his eyes and whimper inside.

“What? Answer me!” The man’s grip grew tighter and people were watching them. Baekhyun wanted to cry at that moment. Why weren’t they helping me? They’re seeing what’s happening yet they don’t make a move.

 

“Let him go.” A deep voice joined the scene. Baekhyun’s eyes opened and the first thing he saw is a really tall man with big eyes and wide shoulders. Does the deep voice belong to that man?

 

“Mind your own business, man. This waiter here doesn’t treat his customers properly.” The man’s hand traveled from Baekhyun’s jaw to his polo shirt and he pushed him. Baekhyun almost fell but not until his ‘savior’ caught him.

 

“From what I see, you’re the one who doesn’t treat this waiter right here.”

 

“Tch. Shut your mouth, kid. We’re just trying to have fun.”

 

“Picking on other people is not a way to have fun.”

 

 

They were about to punch each other when the manager called them off. The rude customers were reported immediately and Baekhyun couldn’t be more thankful. Just because he’s handicapped, people always make fun of him. He doesn’t understand why and he just always cries to himself. Now someone saved him, and that’s new.

 

 

“Are you okay?” The deep-voiced man/his savior asked him. Baekhyun nodded his head. Then he wrote something on his notepad.

 

Thank you for stopping them, sir. You can sit down and order anything you want, my treat.

 

“Are you sure? I can pay for it, no need to treat me.”

 

Consider it as a gift of gratitude, sir.

 

“Don’t call me ‘sir’, I have a name.” He paused. “Chanyeol.” He smiled. Baekhyun just looked at him blankly, waiting for him to order his food. Chanyeol realized that he won’t get any response from Baekhyun, so he just ordered and Baekhyun left.

 

 

After finishing his food, Chanyeol thought it’s time to leave, but somehow, a part of him wants to stay and just keep an eye on that small waiter. So he did.

 

 

Baekhyun’s shift ends at 3 PM, and Chanyeol waited for him for almost 3 hours, and Baekhyun never failed to notice him the entire time.

 

 

“Baekhyun-ah! Your substitute just arrived. You can go rest now.” Chanyeol saw the manager call out, and the man he’s eyeing for turned around and removed his apron.

 

 

Baekhyun changed into a new shirt and neatly folded his work attire: his white polo shirt. As soon as he’s done packing his things, he nodded to his manager and went out through the back door.

 

 

Since Baekhyun’s shift ends in the afternoon, he always goes to the park near his house before heading home.

 

 He rested himself on the swing. He sat down and started swinging. A smile crept on his face as he started enjoying himself.

 

 

What he didn’t know was that someone was watching him. Chanyeol.

 

 

“That’s a wonderful smile right there,” Chanyeol muttered to himself. Chanyeol just looked at him, and even if he can’t hear anything, Baekhyun seemed to be at peace. He took a deep breath before stepping forward. Due to his long legs, he reached Baekhyun’s place in no time.

 

 

Baekhyun, who was swinging all on his own, looked up at the intruder in his sanctuary. What…?

 

 

“Hi,” Chanyeol greeted with a big smile. “Do you remember me? From earlier?” It took a while, but after Baekhyun recognized his savior, he nodded his head in response.

 

“You’re really quiet.” Chanyeol saw the swing beside Baekhyun’s so he sat down and started to have fun as well. “Are you shy? I’m friendly, I swear. I won’t hurt you.” Baekhyun kept quiet and just let him have fun on his own. He doesn’t know why his savior is talking to him right now. He didn’t want to be rude, so he took out his notepad and pen and started writing.

 

I know you’re kind based on your attitude earlier. I’m thankful for that.

 

 

Chanyeol almost fell from his swing when he read Baekhyun’s little note. If this is the way he wants to communicate, then I’m fine with it as long as he talks to me.

 

 

“You’re certainly welcome.” Chanyeol stopped swinging for a while, and then he faced Baekhyun. “What’s your name?”

 

I’m Baekhyun. You’re Chanyeol if I remember correctly.

 

“You’re absolutely right, Baekhyun.” Chanyeol clapped his hands like a kid. “So…why don’t you open your mouth and talk? Are you afraid of me?”

 

No.

 

“Shy?”

 

It’s not that.

 

“You don’t want to be friends with me?”

 

You’re getting the wrong idea.

 

“Then why won’t you speak?” It took Baekhyun a little longer, but now he responded honestly.

 

…because I can’t.

 

Chanyeol gasped. “You can’t? You’re…you’re…”

 

Yes, I’m mute. Sorry if I seem rude, I just really can’t talk.

 

“I…I’m sorry about that. I shouldn’t have pushed you.”

 

No, it’s okay. I’m used to it. Baekhyun even smiled to show Chanyeol that he’s fine.

 

“Is my voice too loud for you?” Chanyeol asked. Baekhyun’s eyebrows creased and quickly shook his head saying ‘no’.

 

“Oh. I’m glad about that. Don’t mind the question.” Chanyeol swung his legs back and forth alternately and slowly. “You can hear me…right?” Baekhyun nodded. Why is he asking me that?

 

“Lucky you…because I can’t hear myself.” Those words made Baekhyun look up.

 

Am I thinking what you’re thinking?

 

Chanyeol sighed before speaking. “You’re not the only one with a disability.” Chanyeol flashed a weak smile.

 

 

Somehow, that smile tugged Baekhyun’s heart. They just met today, but Baekhyun is seeing different sides of Chanyeol. He didn’t know if he should consider himself lucky or what.

 

 

Then how did you save me from those rude customers earlier?

 

“I learned to read lips, Baekhyun. It took me years, but it really comes in handy.” Chanyeol showed two thumbs up, on which Baekhyun nodded and smiled at.

 

Good thing you told me. Or else I’ll think that’s weird.

 

“Well, people think I’m weird anyway.” Chanyeol shrugged.

 

We can be weird together. :)

 

 

Chanyeol flashed his biggest smile ever.

 

 

Chanyeol went home to an empty apartment that day. He found out that the landlady threw all his things out since he hadn’t paid. Well, it’s his fault alright, because he doesn’t have money. He didn’t know what to do until Baekhyun flashed across his mind.

 

 

“That’s right. I can apply for a job at that restaurant.” Not only will he earn himself some money, but he’ll be seeing Baekhyun on a daily basis.

 

 

He got accepted as someone who welcomes the customers at the entrance. The manager thought about it because of Chanyeol’s happy smile and his friendly personality. One more thing left to worry about: where will he stay?

 

 

Baekhyun went to work the next day like it was any other day. But what surprised him was that Chanyeol is wearing a white polo shirt (like his work attire) and also wearing the same apron and he’s standing happily at the entrance while waiting for some customers.

 

 

“Oh, Baekhyun! Hi there!” Chanyeol waved his hands as he saw Baekhyun walking. “I’ll be working here from now on! That means I’ll get to see you every day!”

 

 

Baekhyun didn’t know why but he blushed at Chanyeol’s words.

 

 

Chanyeol’s shift also ends at 3 PM, same time as Baekhyun’s. They went out of work together and due to Chanyeol’s persistence, they went to the park again. Chanyeol told Baekhyun the reason he worked there and Baekhyun just nodded and listened because he didn’t know what to do.

 

 

“And my only problem now is where I will stay.” Chanyeol sighed.

 

I have an extra room at home. You can stay for free if you want, Baekhyun wrote and volunteered. As soon as Chanyeol read this, he smiled widely almost all of his teeth showed. And the next thing was…he hugged Baekhyun in his delight.

 

“Thank you, Baekhyun!” Baekhyun hadn’t responded to the hug yet when Chanyeol realized what he just did. He immediately let go of Baekhyun’s small body.

 

“Sorry…I just felt so happy.” Chanyeol laughed awkwardly and Baekhyun just kept quiet.

 

BAEK JI YOUNG - AFTER A LONG TIME (ROOFTOP PRINCE OST) [PLAY FOR BG MUSIC]

 

That night, while Baekhyun was alone in his room, for some reason he can’t sleep. He sighed. He sat up on his bed as he rubbed his eyes. His eyes…landed to a certain notebook on the floor. He hadn’t touched that notebook for a long time. He decided to pick it up. He removed the dust from it and sneezed a little, and then he opened it.

 

 

This is his special notebook. In this notebook, he writes the words he wanted to say if he can. Not only that, he also writes on how the words are pronounced.

 

 

The truth is, Baekhyun visited the doctor a long time ago, and the doctor said that he can treat his disorder by learning to speak and practicing it like a baby trying to learn to talk and say his first word. And this is a way he thought of. He admits, he lost the motivation to continue doing this, but now…he has another reason to speak.

 

 

He found the column indicating ‘WORDS I WANT TO SAY’ and smiled as he added another word.

 

 

Chanyeol.

 

 

Meanwhile Chanyeol is still not used to his new living space and he can’t sleep that night as well. Instead, he fixed his things as he put his clothes in the new wardrobe, set his own lampshade and night lights, and he also placed a few books on the small shelf. A little paper fell from one of the books so he picked it up. It’s his medical certificate from the doctor.

 

 

“Should I get a hearing aid?”

 

 

Chanyeol doubted about it, but when Baekhyun flashed through his mind. He smiled.

 

 

“I probably should.”

 

 

Since that night, Baekhyun did his best in learning how to speak. For Chanyeol, he tried to find the best hearing aid there is in town so that he could hear clearly.

 

 

“Do you want ice cream?” Chanyeol asked Baekhyun. They are currently at the park after the long day’s work. Baekhyun nodded in agreement.

 

 

As Chanyeol was buying ice cream, something spoke in his head.

 

 

“My name’s Chanyeol. Once you’ve spoken to this shorty here, you’ll get loud as well.”

 

 

He didn’t know how he heard it, but something tells him that what he heard was real. He saw himself among a group of boys. And he’s pointing to a small person…that looks familiar…

 

 

Then everything seemed to follow.

 

 

“When I was alive, I was born deaf.”

 

“I’m excited to hear Baekhyun’s voice.”

 

 

“Baekhyun?”

 

 

While Baekhyun was sitting on the swing waiting for Chanyeol, another memory hit him as well.

 

 

“Hello! I’m Baekhyun! I’m not loud, I just get excited whenever I speak.”

 

 

How the hell did he talk? And the voice? Was it his? Did he really speak? And…why is Chanyeol in the memory as well?

 

 

“Yah! Hypnotizing Chanyeol isn’t a good thing.” Chanyeol.

 

“Go find a seat there!” Chanyeol.

 

“Sure! Your treat, giant!” Chanyeol.

 

“Yah Byun Baekhyun. I know you can do it. Baekkie fighting!” Was that Chanyeol’s voice? And Baekhyun responded…”Thank you, Yeollie.”

 

“Chanyeol-ah, I told you to not walk beside me because I will look shorter.” Chanyeol again.

 

“When I was alive, I was born mute.”

 

“Chanyeol, I love you.”

 

 

More scenarios pooled in his mind like a movie. He couldn’t grasp all of it, but words like ‘EXO’, ‘saranghaja’ and ‘Cheonsa’ were the most used and heard. And another thing…

 

 

The name ‘Chanyeol’.

 

 

“Baekhyun! Here’s our ice cream!” He snapped in his thoughts when he heard Chanyeol’s voice. As they were quietly eating, Chanyeol broke the silence.

 

“Baekhyun…I know it’s nonsense and all…but I’m going to ask you a question and I want you to answer me honestly, okay?” Baekhyun suddenly felt nervous and he didn’t know why but he nodded.

 

“Baekhyun…do you believe in the afterlife?” Baekhyun’s eyes widened. And he remembered things like that too. Things that happened in the afterlife, if that’s even real.

 

“Baekhyun?” Chanyeol asked since it looked like Baekhyun spaced out a little. “What do you think? Do you believe in that?”

 

 

Baekhyun slowly nodded his head.

 

 

“Me too.” Chanyeol smiled. “And…you know, I’ve been remembering things that I don’t know if they happened or not. But what’s strange is that…you were there.” Chanyeol looked into Baekhyun’s eyes.

 

The same thing happened to me, Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol was shocked. “Then…that means…”

 

Yes.

 

“Oh God.” Chanyeol hugged Baekhyun tightly. “Baekhyun…my Baekhyun…” They stayed silent for a while, just comfortable in each other’s arms. “Remember how we fulfilled each other’s happiness?”

 

 

Baekhyun nodded, and then he stopped Chanyeol from talking.

 

 

Tomorrow, let’s do that again. Right here at this place.

 

 

It was Chanyeol’s turn to nod in agreement.

 

 

They were so determined. Baekhyun stayed up late learning to speak as well as he can. Meanwhile Chanyeol made sure to contact the doctor to get his hearing aid. So the next day, they met at the park just like how they said.

 

 

Baekhyun was the first to arrive. Chanyeol isn’t there yet, so he took time to practice speaking. He’s doing well after all those times he worked hard to open his mouth. Their meeting time is 3 PM, but it’s already past 5 and there’s still no sign of Chanyeol. The sun is setting and it’s starting to get dark. Baekhyun is worrying more and more.

 

 

“Damn,” Chanyeol cursed. His doctor told him to wait, and he’s been waiting for hours for his damned hearing aid. When he finally got it, he rushed outside and took a cab home.

 

 

It’s already 7:34 and Baekhyun is getting cold. He never liked the cold but he’s doing this for Chanyeol. Where is he now?

 

 

8:21. That’s when Chanyeol arrived. Baekhyun stood up from the swing and rushed towards him.

 

“Baekhyun—“Chanyeol was surprised when Baekhyun hugged him tightly. And a little later, he felt his shirt getting wet. Oh no. Is Baekhyun…crying?

 

“Hey…hey…it’s alright. I’m here now.” Chanyeol patted Baekhyun’s head. Baekhyun looked up and wiped his tears. He took a deep breath, and Chanyeol knew what he’s going to do.

 

“Ch…Ch…Cha…” Baekhyun didn’t know what’s wrong with him. He practiced it all over…but what’s wrong now? He’s starting to lose hope when Chanyeol held his chin, forcing him to look up.

 

“You can do it, Baekkie. One more time.” Chanyeol smiled. Baekhyun gathered up all his courage and tried once again.

 

“Cha…Chan…Chanyeol.” Baekhyun smiled as he spoke the first word. “Chanyeol, I…love…you.” Baekhyun’s smile widened more. “I love you, Chanyeol,” he said without stuttering.

 

“Now, that’s a pleasant thing to hear.” He looked down at Baekhyun. “I love you too, Baekhyun.”

 

“I love you, Park Chanyeol.”

 

“I love you too, Byun Baekhyun.” Baekhyun blushed, and he hugged Chanyeol to hide it.

 

“I love you…so much…” Chanyeol whispered.

 

“I love you…to the moon and back…” Baekhyun countered.

 

“I love you to infinity and beyond.”

 

“I’ll love you till death do us part.”

 

“Alright, you win.” They both laughed. “Will you sing for me, Baekhyun?”

 

 

Baekhyun happily obliged. Soon the both of them walked the way home, talking about the things they remember in the afterlife. Everything was so important because it was all part of their happy days, especially the moment they first laid eyes on each other back then. While talking, Chanyeol suddenly grabbed Baekhyun’s hand which surprised the latter. He was about to protest when Chanyeol gripped it tighter. Baekhyun just let it off, and both of them thought the same thing:

 

 

They never want to let go of each other again.

 

 

**

 

FIRST OF ALL, MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! :) Wow, I got to update today and I got the chance to greet you all. Haha. So yes, I don't know sign language so I thought of other ways on how Baekhyun can communicate. Haha. Sorry about that. And Chanyeol~haha. So...I hope you liked this one! And the bg music! I was listening to it while writing.....and I almost cried. Hahaha.

 

 

Tell me your thoughts! Comment on anything, it's not bad to say your opinion, you know? :)

 

 

Thank you everyone! Saranghaeyo~ *huuugs* And Merry Christmaaaaas! <3