Explanations

My Wife Is Straight

“I’m her-” Sooyoung started, but was immediately taken back when Jessica covered with her hand. 

 

   “My assistant. They’re both my assistants, newbies in the company. The others are already in their cars.” Jessica suddenly felt a mountain of guilt on her shoulders, feeling horrible for Yuri. Can I really continue this?

 

  “Assistant for what?” Tiffany asked, not really understanding the situation. It was then that she felt like a mother taking care of two loud mouthed toddlers, ready to cover the other’s mouth if she says anything out of the sort. “What others? Sunny’s the only one who left I thought.” 

 

  “Sunny? I never knew you had a Sunny in your company.” Yuri remarked, her eyebrows raising questioningly. She’s onto me. 

 

  “She’s another newbie, they’re all transferred from another company. From the company stationed here in Vegas, actually.” Jessica rolled on, ready to physically hurt herself if she lied anymore. “I have to be off, things to do.” Sooyoung’s warm mouth escaped from her hand and she grasped both their wrists, fast walking out of the door and down the street before Yuri got to reply.

 

  “What was that about?” Sooyoung asked, her voice annoyed. “I don’t remember being your assistant or Sunny working in your company. You have some explaining to do.” 

 

  “I know,” Jessica whined, turning over to Tiffany for full blame. “Go ahead, complain about me, I’ll explain afterward.” 

 

  But the dark brown haired girl was too lost in thought to say a word, only looking into the distance with a confused expression. Jessica let go of their wrists and spoke again, “That woman back there, the one in the black dress and heels; is Yuri, a friend from back home. She thinks I’m here for work, and had to lie to her that we were there for an after party of the presentation.” 

 

  “Why didn’t you just tell the truth?” Sooyoung asked, her voice partly faint from thinking. “I don’t see why she wouldn’t understand that you accidentally got married to a lesbian lady.” It’s not that easy, Sooyoung.

 

  At that, Tiffany was interested again. “You got married by accident? That explains how distant Sica seems from you.” 

 

  “Call me Jessica,” she reminded the other person, “not Sica, not honey, not darling, not anything else by Jessica.” That’s obvious? I’m not surprised. 

 

  Sooyoung nodded at Tiffany, ignoring Jessica. “I know right? How can we be a happy couple when one of us has to be straight?” She glared yet again at Jessica and she felt guilty yet again, this time not knowing why. 

 

  “It’s not my fault that I’m straight and make mistakes.” Jessica replied, the guilt from a second ago falling off her shoulders. “You don’t need to complain, I do. You never explained last night fully.” 

 

  “Do you want me to go into detail or do you want to get the pictures from the pharmacy first for proof? I was originally going with that plan but if you want Tiffany to know too, I’ll sit down right here on the sidewalk and explain every minute of it in detail.” Sooyoung raised her voice while speaking, obviously irritated. While the other two searched for words to respond, she rested down cross-legged on the gray sidewalk, keeping to her words. 

 

  “I think I should go, I have some more people to sing to....” Tiffany retorted in her politest tone, trying not to cause more trouble. She began to move backward slightly but Jessica caught the middle of her left arm, her eyes pleadingly saying not to leave her alone. 

 

  “Please don’t,” Jessica muttered to Tiffany and turned her attention back to Sooyoung. “Can we not do this in public? People are starting to stare, it’s sorta embarrassing.” 

 

   “Embarrassing? This is Vegas, making people stare at you is nothing in this town. Now come take a seat right here and let me explain it all.” She made a patting gesture to the right side of her on the sidewalk, noticing that Tiffany hadn’t left yet, she added, “You too Tiffany. I’m sure you’re wondering how this whole thing started.” 

 

  Tiffany reluctantly nodded, agreeing. “The worst thing you can get in Vegas is the police getting involved, and that might even get you some street credit.” She shrugged and sat down on Sooyoung’s left side, moving backward a few feet so they weren’t in the middle of the sidewalk and interrupting the flow of the walkway. 

  Jessica rolled her eyes and flopped down to Sooyoung’s right side, “Okay, start saying it all. Except not in full on detail, we can pick up the pictures after this.” 

 

  “Can I go too? I’m not due at my Dad’s house to help until later, and I’m too into this not to leave your sides yet.” Tiffany cheerfully said, trying her own attempt at changing the atmosphere. She squinted up a cheesy eye-smile, and Jessica let out a tiny giggle.

 

  “Fine, I guess it’s about time I explain it all. Should I start from us meeting or from the marriage?” Sooyoung smiled back at Tiffany, just not as happily a feel. Sooyoung changed her attention back over to Jessica, “I’m sorry for getting annoyed earlier.” 

 

   Jessica was amazed at how fast she apologized, it seemed that with the amount of confidence that shined off of Sooyoung that she wouldn’t think of saying sorry until at least three hours later. “It’s fine, I guess,” she shrugged and continued, “you should start from us meeting. I only remember meeting someone named Taeyeon that night, not you.” 

 

  “Taeyeon! You met Taeyeon? She’s my best friend!” Tiffany exclaimed unexpectedly, immediately taking out her phone and pointing at the locked background. “You met her right?” 

 

  Jessica nodded cautiously, the girl was definitely the person she had met the night before. The same shoulder length wavy light brown hair and short stature, even the same keys hanging from her pocket. It had to be only a strange coincidence that she met Tiffany’s best friend at the bar last night. Why is there so many coincidences lately? Is this some MTV show?

 

  Sooyoung chuckled and nudged Jessica’s right arm with her shoulder jokingly, “You sure do know how to meet the right people. I’ve seen Taeyeon before at the shop, comes every other Saturday to look at the new shipments, quite a loyal costumer.” 

 

  Tiffany cocked up her head lightly in understanding, “Ah, are you that cute girl she’s talked about before? Unless she’s talking about one of the other female employees, but I don’t think they’re all that cute.” 

 

  “Aw really? She might’ve, unless she’s talking about Sunny.” Sooyoung humbly said, acting surprised at Tiffany’s comment about her cuteness. She shook her head and tapped a hand on the sidewalk, “No, no we have to go back to what we were talking about originally.” 

 

  “Right, sorry for distracting you. Go back to your story, I won’t interrupt again. Zipped lips,” Tiffany replied and pouted her lips, ‘zipping’ them quiet with her index finger and thumb squished together. 

 

  Sooyoung exchanged confirmation glances at Jessica so that she knew that Jessica had nothing to add before starting her story, “Okay, so it all started at the legit bar. I was leaning against the counter drinking something weak when I first saw you. You were only a couple feet away asking for another beer, and I was surprised. You seemed too much of a cute rich chick that likes fruity drinks over a man’s beer, which made me even more surprised when you drank it down that fast. One bottle was like a shot for you, I swear.” 

 

  She paused to think more of the memory, and Jessica’s cheeks began to heat up at Sooyoung’s words, she was always a big drinker. “Anyway, as shocked as I was, I just had to meet you. We talked about a couple things, and, if you were wondering, they were sports, shoes, and humor. I knew you’d been long drunk, but I kept talking with you anyway, hoping to maybe sober you up enough for an actual logical conversation.” 

 

  “Get on to the part where you asked me to marry you,” Jessica cut in, she couldn’t handle the embarrassing truth anymore, especially in front of Tiffany. It would have been worse if Sunny was here, she probably would’ve been laughing the whole time. She looked over at Tiffany, curious how she had handled the story so far. The brunette was obviously holding in comments, fidgeting her fingers against her knees to help endure the quietness. 

 

  Sooyoung rolled her eyes, “Fine. I didn’t mean to actual marry you I think, just, it seemed convenient at the time. I liked you, you seemed to like me, I was lonely and wanted a friend. Sunny and Hyoyeon were busy and couldn’t have gone with me, and I don’t have a girlfriend or drinking buddies. So I just, um, drove you there and the rest is history?” The last few sentences sounded awkward and were spoken slower than the rest, and Jessica put her face in her palms. 

 

  “I’m a full-fledged idiot, I shouldn’t have gone to the bar in the first place. Then none of this would’ve happened. I would be doing something logical and important right now, I need to think more often.” Jessica responded, her tone sadder and worried. If this was all just a dream... 

 

  “Oh come on Jessica, do you really wish that? Do you regret meeting Tiffany and Sunny with me and going to lunch? It’s still early in the day, we can do something logical and important for you later.” Sooyoung laid her left arm across Jessica’s shoulders, which didn’t effect Jessica at all surprisingly. 

 

  Finally Tiffany spoke up again, blurting out her next words in a very fast pace, all except the last sentence. “Jessica, you sure can drink. Sooyoung, you can’t sober up a person just from talking, unless you bore them to sleep. But who’s Hyoyeon? You aren’t an idiot Jessica, you’re a wonderful beautiful girl that I barely know, but, if I’m lucky, will get to become friends with as time goes by.” 

 

  Jessica separated her hands from her face and looked up, “How can you say that already when I’ve only known you for-” she paused to take a glance at the phone in Tiffany’s hands, “two hours.” She turned her attention back to Sooyoung, “I don’t have a proper answer to that question yet, I need to think more. But what do you mean by ‘something logical and important’?” 

 

  A devious smirk showed on her wife’s face, “You’ll see.” After speaking, she got up from her seat on the sidewalk and wiped her backside quickly before reaching out a hand to Jessica to help her get up. 

 

  Jessica took the hand and stood, sliding her phone out of her pocket and seeing the ‘New Message’ sign on the screen as soon as she opened it from its lock. There was a couple messages that she never got to read yet, one of which was from Yoona, just as Yuri had said. ‘Yuri unnie is coming to Vegas too! yay! Try to find her in the big city Sica keke text her in the morning for more details.’  

 

  “Ooh who’s Yoona? Is she another one of your friends you have to lie to?” Tiffany asked innocently, distracting Jessica from reading her missed messages. 

 

  “No, well, sort of. She’s another of my best friends from back home,” Jessica replied back casually, trying not to add too much detail to the response. 

 

  “Hey Tiffany, Hyoyeon is my best friend next to Sunny. I met her in college,” Sooyoung also conducted an answer to one of Tiffany’s many questions, trying to instruct the other person’s attention from Jessica to herself. Tiffany is a surely curious girl...

 

   “Really? That name sounds familiar, like I’ve heard it before. Does she work in the street performer business too? Or is that a Hyorin? I’m not really sure,” Tiffany speculated for more information as she got up off the ground. 

 

  “I think I remember her saying something related to that awhile ago, like she did that when she was fifteen or sixteen maybe? I can’t remember too well.” Sooyoung started walking forward again, the other two following after her like obedient puppies. Jessica looked up from her phone and stuck it back down her pocket, looking at her surroundings for the first time since before the talk.

 

  “Where are we? This is my first time look around Vegas and I think we’re at least a mile away from the hotel, probably more.” Jessica spoke again, none of the buildings nor street names seemed even mildly familiar to her. 

 

  “Correcto my friend, we’re two miles away from it actually. My house is headed toward this way, only about another three miles way. I tend to walk home every once in awhile to get some exercise, I have to keep this body some other way than great metabolism.” Sooyoung replied as they stopped at a crosswalk going across the street, she made a gesture to move forward and they all stopped to wait for the ‘moving’ green figure to light up. 

 

  “I live a half-hour from there! We should get together at the park in between us sometimes and walk my dog, you can walk Taeyeon’s for her if you don’t have a dog.” Tiffany brightly brought up something again, it really was strange at how the two had never conversed more often by the amount of similarities between them.

 

  “Maybe we should sometime, Jessica can join us!” Sooyoung enthusiastically added, and the light turned just as Jessica was going to talk. The three ran across the now much busier street, and Jessica kept close to make sure she wouldn’t get lost. 

 

  The other side of the street was almost the opposite, with less big box stores and more small stores like Sunny’s Place to occupy it. It was already almost three pm and Jessica couldn’t believe how quickly the day had gone by, thats what I get for waking up late I guess. They kept walking silently for a little awhile until they stopped in front a red outlined CVS Pharmacy, and Sooyoung opened the door for the other two first. 

 

  “Can’t wait to see how the pictures came out!” Sooyoung interjected after all of the members of the trio had come in the bright large room, and Tiffany nodded in agreement. 

 

  “I hope they’re good,” Jessica said, gulping from the thought of the visible proof that she was a drunken idiot.