Think Outside the Box

My Wife Is Straight

It's been sooo long I'm such a terrible person OTL I could've gotten it done within one day but I took over a month!! :( I'll focus on finishing this first then write new chapters in the chat, ok? Since this is already finished (just slight changes now). I'm reallyyyyy soorrrryyy! This chapter is somewhat bigger tho (3,000+ words c:) but I'm generally really sorry ;; 


The trip to Seoul wasn’t as awkward as it would’ve been three weeks ago, they were a thousand times closer than their first drunk meeting that night, like a real couple almost. It was a bit longer than expected, but they worked around that and got in the streets around the tall tower by ten a.m., cheerful and worry free.

 

   They spent the rest of the morning looking around and doing very interesting things both of them either had never the chance to do or hadn’t done it in a long while, including the famous skyline nearby. At sometime around noon they had a lunch filled of street snacks, which were different than those in Incheon. The afternoon they continued their adventure around the other side of the streets and played around taking pictures and other things; Sooyoung even did her own “research” on the teenage kids which had passed by.

 

  It was around five when they decided to go into the N building’s diverse floors, going on the open public ones the most and doing whatever that level had, leaving when one got bored or they finished the activity. It was around six-thirty when the two had finally gotten to the top, and the choice of locks was at the lead of priorities. 

 

  “Do you like this one? It’s very cute,” Jessica mused while holding a white one with two pink emoticon rabbits on them, a red heart in between. “Like us,” she whispered quietly, unsure whether it was toward just herself or not. 

 

  Sooyoung shrugged, “Naw, it doesn’t seem right to me. How ‘bout this one?” She held up two ones with a connecting heart in the middle of them and smiled, “It’s cheesy but practical.”

 

  Jessica shook her head with feeling, “Nope, nope. That’s cheesy for sure, but too cheesy. We can have a heart in it, but it shouldn’t be the main point. We want to them know we’re a couple but we’re not some foreigners on our honeymoon being corny and not caring.”

 

  “Wait, but I am, technically? Since I’m speaking an odd Konglish currently with you, wouldn’t this count? Not much of a honeymoon but it was still fun,” Sooyoung let a small sigh and moved over onto another arrangement of the locks. 

 

  The two of them disagreed over locks for the next half hour until they decided just to choose a lock themselves and then they would agree on the ‘couple’ part afterward. Yet another fifteen minutes later they had their personal locks selected and bought and were out on the terrace part just as the sun was beginning to set down off the sky.

 

  “Woah...” Sooyoung awed at the beautiful pink and orange sight at the top of the tower, the lock firm in her hands. “This is an amazing view! I love the city and the sunset is stunning!” She walked closer to the railing and looked at the view with a brighter face, “No matter this place is so popular!”

 

  “I know, it’s really something, right?” Jessica responded and stood on the left side of Sooyoung, a grin also decorating her face. After another minute or so of staring she nudged the other woman, “Where do you want to put these up?” 

 

  She was surprised by the reminder, “Oh yeah! I forgot about those!” The taller person walked away from the railing and her eyes searched through the huge terrace at the thousands of locks on the sides, in trees, and just everywhere in general. “Um...how about over there? On that side?” Se remembered that pointing was considered rude so lifted her foot in the direction subtly and moved her shoulder in the other part of that area she preferred.

 

  “That’s cool with me, not bad of a spot. Let’s go,” Jessica nodded and they strolled over to the spot across the area with no set pace, just a normal walk. When they were over at the designated location for their locks, Jessica handed her wife a Sharpie and explained to write what she wanted to, but not too much self information. 

 

  After Sooyoung finished she passed it back to Jessica and the other girl continued to write up her own, concluding not long after receiving the marker. “Alright, locks done!” She cheerfully clipped hers onto the hatch of the huge amount of others, smiling. “You see what I wrote on mine? ‘In remembrance of the honeymoon with my lovely wife.’”

 

  Sooyoung scoffed, “Says the one that the hearts was ‘too cheesy’! That’s not original at all!” She connected her lock to Jessica’s and crossed her arms, “Mine is much better! ‘Let’s go to Korea more often Soo! Jessica heart Sooyoung’, see? It’s like a cute reminder!”

 

  Jessica playfully pushed Sooyoung’s arm, “You’re not much better than me! What’re you saying? Don’t lie to me!” She touched the two locks and chuckled, “They fit together perfectly, which sorta resembles us. Except they aren’t as dysfunctional and weird like us.” 

 

  Sooyoung shrugged, “That’s right, I guess. Didn’t you say you had a place for dinner? Or should we start heading back to Incheon by now? I’m not very sure, since I have to pack up everything tomorrow and visit my family for the last time as well, leaving in the early morning for my grandma’s house in Suwon and all.”

  “Also true, I forgot about you meeting with your family again! We should leave by now then, right?” Jessica agreed and turned against the locks, holding up her phone. “Come here and let’s take a selca together with our locks and the sunset in the background.”

 

  Sooyoung rolled her eyes but went along with it without arguing, “Fine, but you’re coming to see my family with me tomorrow.”

 

  Her wife was intimated by this, “Say what now? Go with you? To see your family? Isn’t it a bit too earlier to meet the parents? We decided just a little bit ago to take this whole marriage thing seriously, don’t go too fast now okay?”

 

  Sooyoung chuckled gently, “My parents are in the U.S. remember? You can meet them next time you visit, or if you decide to move in with me...”

 

  “Like I said, don’t go too fast with us yet, sure we’re married, but we don’t know each other as well as most married couples so let’s wait until that.” 

  “You’re right, let’s do that. But for now, let’s take that picture and head home.” 

 

 

 

  The next day the two woke up early and Sooyoung made sure not to wake Yuri or Yoona, she didn’t know what time they had gone to bed the night before so she wanted to make the least noise as possible. After her shower she gave herself a small breakfast of whatever was easy to make there that she was taught how to make earlier in her visit before going out the front door of the apartment complex to wait for Jessica.

 

  “You look dressed up to see my family,” Sooyoung commented while eyeing down the other girl’s body as she strolled toward her. “I don’t think it’s necessary for those weirdos.”

 

  Jessica let out a breath of despair, “You should’ve told me beforehand! You’re the one dressed up like a thug! You probably can disguise to Sunny’s dad as one of the members of his gang right now, not lying.”

 

  “The thug that stole your heart,” Sooyoung joked, moving closer to hold the blondie by her waist. “You can be in my gang any day.”

 

  “You’re the kind of thug who marries by accident, you’re not my type,” Jessica teased back and let herself be taken back by Soo, smiling. 

 

  “You marry by accident too, you must be my type,” Sooyoung grinned as well and finished off the hug, kissing the back of Jessica’s hair. After they disconnected the embrace, she added her own random comment, “Your hair smells really good Ms. Jung, what kind of shampoo do you use?”

 

 The two began to hold hands while heading toward Jessica’s car and she ignored the question, “So this is what being a newlywed is like...I’m not sure if I’m anticipating what we’ll be like in eleven years though.”

 

 “Our four kids would not like to hear that kind of news honey,” Sooyoung responded and Jessica stopped in her footsteps. 

 

  “What? Four kids? You’re not serious are you? I plan on two, max.” Jessica shook her head slowly, “Do you know how tiring kids are? That’s the reason why people have one.”

  “But kids get lonely without any siblings, that’s why we should have four.” 

 

  “You’re not serious right? Remember, it’s us who’s going to be taking care of the little monsters, do you seriously want four of them in the house? Sure it’s easier as they get older but we still need to be there when they’re little and I don’t wanna go through that four times over,” Jessica continued to defend her argument without faltering, stopping when they got to the automobile. 

 

  After they had gotten in and were comfortable, Sooyoung was ready to confidently continue her part in this. “We can handle that, don’t you know those people who have seven kids back then? They could do that, in a little house too, just have confidence.”

 

  “This isn’t about my confidence at all, okay. This is about how we’ll be able to handle four children in our home at once without going bankrupt and or falling under the hardships of them,” Jessica was sure she could win this argument with her intelligent responses.

 

   “Would adding two more make anything worse? If we’re already bankrupt by then, adding two more beings will just add to-shoot,” Sooyoung realized she was slowly going toward Jessica’s side and she shook her head slowly, “Anyway, my point is that tons of people handle a common number of three kids all over the world without dying from the hardships or going completely bankrupt from them and that we can be just like them, just with one more.”

 

  “I understand that but I’m just fearing that since our jobs don’t pay quite the best, having more kids around will make it harder to contend with difficulties.” It was obvious the conversation was wrapping up calmly and adultly, and that both of them didn’t have much to help back up their halves.

 

  “I also understand, let’s talk about this when we’re seriously considering kids, okay? As you can tell, it appears to be a bit too early for this but it’s nice we already know about each other’s opinions on this.” Sooyoung summed it up and the other woman nodded in agreement. 

  

 

  The rest of the car ride there was short discussions on simple things, none of them too important to be noticed. Well, that was, almost none of them. One was quite interesting. It was a call. A call from Tiffany.

 

  “Hello?” Jessica answered the phone with curiosity, although happy to have their friend call, most people don’t call for fun. Her wife turned her head slightly, it was her duty has a spouse to eavesdrop in conversations, otherwise they wouldn’t know each other’s business.

 

  “Jessie! How have you and Soo been? Enjoying life I suppose. Anyway, I have very important news to tell you both! Is she with you?” Tiffany’s excited and rapid voice played by Jessica’s ear.

 

   Important news, huh? What kind of important news? Putting the phone on speaker, she asked, “What important news?”

 

 Sooyoung kept her head straight toward the road, curious why the blonde female had turned the phone on speaker and that there was some type of important news. “Who is this? What important news?”

 

  “It’s Tiffany! Hi Soo! Have you caught up with your family? I hope you’ve been having as much fun as possible while there!” 

 

  She nodded slightly, acknowledging who it was and slightly chuckling at her friend’s talkative nature. She realized she missed home...a lot more than she had thought. “I have been having fun: either with Jessica, or any of her friends, even catching up on everything Korean, and etcetera. But that’s not the main reason you called I bet. What’s so important?”

 

  “Oh, that! Guess what? I got casted for a Korean entertainment company!” 

 

The two women in the car were a mixture of really excited and happy for their friend, but also really nervous and scared for her. Especially Jessica. 

 

 “That’s great news! What company? Is it big enough to be investigated?” Jessica asked steadily, she knew how shady the entertainment industry was, with her best friend’s sister being in that field and all. 

 

  “I think it’s like Forever Young Entertainment or something, I’ve been exploring their website all morning. It’s quite fun! They’re not sketchy at all, even Taeyeon approved! All I have to do is show up at the company and discuss contracts and stuff. My dad is helping me with the whole attorney thing, I’m still a little confused about that. But otherwise, I’ll be able to see you more Jessica! Isn’t that great?” 

 

 Jessica sighed in relief at the name of the company well known for the way they treat their singers and actors, as if the managers are their parents and the bosses are their sweet but harsh uncles and aunts. It’s also the sister company of HS Media, which was also well known for better wages within groups. 

 

  “I’m so glad that company casted you! They’re especially known for great treatment on their artists, I’m sure you can do well there! I guess we will see each other more often, won’t we?”

 

 Sooyoung wasn’t sure what to respond because she was lacking in that field, so she just congratulated Tiffany and let the other two talk on. She liked that feeling of reassurance that home is closer than you think, even in a foreign country.

 

 

 They arrived in front of the gates of Sooyoung’s grandma’s house within quicker time than expected, which was a relief for Sooyoung.

 

  “This is the fourth and may I mention, last, time I’m visiting somebody from my family here, so there it might be a bit sad or odd but overall that’s my family.”

Sooyoung commented before she hit the speaker. “Grandma! It’s Sooyoung, I brought someone and some food.”

 

  A little bit later an elderly voice responded, “Ah! Soo-ah! You came earlier than I thought you would! That’s great news! Come right in!” A sound indicated it was unlocked alarmed them both and Sooyoung opened the green door carefully, feeling uncomfortable.

 

  They both entered the open front yard, Sooyoung leading. Before the front porch there was an array of flowers, all beautifully shown in their way. Sooyoung took note of them to use for a compliment later that day. 

 

  After the two had gone in, the inside was the opposite of the outside. Full of life. They discarded their shoes and walked into the living room, which was where two kids were sitting on the floor in between a television and a white sofa playing a game of Gonggi. 

 

 One of them, a black haired female, looked up with a smile, “Sooyoung unnie!” She called out excitedly and the brunette male changed his vision to view the two as well. 

 

  The girl got up from her seat and hugged Sooyoung, passing the bag of food over to her own hand. As if it was a normal thing, the dialect in the girl’s voice

changed straight to American English, “I thought you were coming later! So nice of you to visit! Let me take this to the kitchen!”

 

  It was now that the boy got up also and embraced Sooyoung, he was noticeably younger than the girl and he smiled. His English was nearly perfect as well, less native-sounding though, “Noona! I missed you!”

 

  She pat him on the head, “Tell me you’ve been a good boy since you last saw me. We don’t want to talk to your mom about listening in class again do we?” 

  He nodded passionately, “Of course I have! I only got in trouble twice last month!” 

 

 Sooyoung smiled wider, “That’s a new record! Keep trying for none!” Jessica held back a heavy laugh and just let out a small giggle, guessing she found the trouble child. 

 

  “Who’s this lady though? I’ve never seen you with her before,” the little boy commented curiously, gesturing toward Jessica. 

 

  “You’ll learn more at dinner, just call her Jessica noona. Got it?” Sooyoung bent down to look at the marble-shaped gonggi stones. “Who’s winning?”

 

  “I am, of course.” The girl walked back into the room casually and went immediately over to the other two. “He’s too young to understand it fully.”

 

  The little boy shook his head, “No I’m not! I’m right behind you! I can win if I move my hand quicker!” 

 

  Sooyoung ruffled his hair, “I know you can, Oknam was probably being very considerate to let you catch up to her. You two must be playing easy on each other, huh? When I play later, don’t go easy on me.”

 

  “I won’t,” Oknam, which was what Jessica guessed was the girl’s name, replied and sat back down across what Jessica also guessed was her little brother. “Our dad is in the kitchen with grandma, our mom is still at work.”

 

  Sooyoung nodded, “Thanks.” She quickly grabbed Jessica’s arm and dragged her along to the kitchen which was a little bit farther from the television. 

 

  “Sooyoung!” A noticeably older women exclaimed from in front of two sinks, washing potatoes. “Your brother’s coming this afternoon with his daughter and wife, just saying.” 

 

  Sooyoung looked shocked, “Really? I haven’t seen him in a long time.”

 

  Her grandma shook her head, another person with flawless English, “It’s unsure as of now what time, but there’s a possibility around 3 or 4PM. I know how you really want to see him.” 

 

  Sooyoung agreed and Jessica stood next to her feeling very awkward, so this is how Sooyoung must’ve felt here her first day... It wasn’t until the man in the kitchen, Oknam and her brother’s father, moved his elbow near her that Jessica payed much attention. 

 

 “Who’s she?” He asked while cutting some carrots, not much of a whisper in his voice, he was too genuinely curious. “A friend of yours?”

 

  “Good guess, but you’ll get the answer at dinner, okay? Now let me hug you,” Sooyoung replied back and the man rolled his eyes with a grin and embraced her just from those words. And she says they’re not close...? Was she lying to me? Hm...