A Pair of Friends and Two Strangers

My Wife Is Straight

“Come on! Let’s go out for lunch!” Sooyoung whined, her pitch higher for maximum cuteness. “I’m hungry!” The 25 year old stood outside of the bathroom door as Jessica got ready for the day after her shower. 

 

   “But we just had breakfast an hour ago! How can you be hungry again?” Jessica argued back, starting to apply mascara, if they were going somewhere, she had to be ready. Almost everything was ready, the only problem was who she was going out with. Her ‘wife’. 

 

   “You aren’t?” Sooyoung asked, only mildly surprised. She started to tap her foot and glanced at the clock. 12:51 pm. Her hair was now fallen out of the bun, resting a couple centimeters above her elbows, wavy with a hint of curls around the edges.

 

  “Of course not! Are you-” Jessica cut off her own sentence, knowing the answer to the question. If anybody had ever asked ‘Are you crazy?’, the answer would undoubtedly be ‘Yes’. She fluffed up her gleaming blonde hair and fixed the top strands near her scalp before beginning to open the white door. “Why don’t we walk around first, then find a place to eat?” 

 

  Sooyoung backed away from the doorway and moved her head like she was nodding, all the while checking out how cute Jessica looked. “Sure, just make it quick.” She dug into her shorts’ pocket, grabbing the green credit-card shaped key within a couple seconds. “I have the room key right here, let’s go!” 

 

   The impatient woman was just about to open the front door when Jessica suddenly ran in front, holding her hands out like she was stopping a car in the middle of a street. “Wait! I’ve been meaning to ask this since I woke up, whose hotel room is this?” Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was mine. 

 

  Sooyoung simply shrugged and replied matter-of-factly, “Mine, I didn’t want to be rude and use yours.” Her next words had a hint of irritation, “Can we leave now?” Without another response, she fully opened the door and strolled out, leaving Jessica standing n the doorway with a desperate look. 

 

   “But wasn’t it rude enough to say yes to marrying me?” Jessica called out at Sooyoung, still not moving from her spot.

 

   “You said yes to me, remember?” She raised an arm on the question while continuing to walk casually down the floor’s hall. Stopping in front of the silver elevators, she added, “You comin’?”


   

     The streets weren’t too busy, but there still was a fair amount of people. The two were standing three blocks away from the hotel, the blonde one holding out a map. 

 

  “You look like a tourist,” Sooyoung commented, rolling her eyes as Jessica traced the thin road lines on the paper. 

 

  “I am a tourist,” She retorted, already concentrated on the signs around the corners. “If we go here....” she whispered to herself, figuring out a route to the nearby outdoor-mall. 

 

  The native let out a grunt and grabbed the map out of Jessica’s palms, immediately folding and putting it in her pocket. She turned to her partner, “Let me show you my town! You don’t need a map when your GPS is right here!” Sooyoung pointed at her chest with her thumb, bringing in another smile to bring up the mood from earlier. 

 

   “You’re not one of those annoying glitchy GPSs right?” Jessica said, letting a small chuckle out at Sooyoung’s expression. 

 

  “Of course not! Tell me where you want to go and I’ll show you the way!” Sooyoung interjected, strutting in front of her. 

 

  “You’re really odd you know,” Jessica added, walking up to stand next to her . “First you act like getting married to straight woman is a regular thing, act all sweet to her, and now volunteer to show her around Las Vegas.” 

 

   Her acquaintance nodded and shrugged her shoulders, “I tend to get that a lot.” She started to trek forward, finding Jessica’s left wrist and grasping it before starting to walk forward at a faster pace. “What I’ve been doing? That’s just hospitality.”

 

   “Wait I didn’t command you to go anywhere yet, where are we going?” 

 

“A place I’m sure you’ll love.” 

 

 

They arrived ten minutes later in front of a side building with large fancy letters above the entrance reading ‘Sunny’s Place’. 

 

   “We’re here!” Sooyoung exclaimed, letting go of Jessica’s warm wrist. “My work!” 

 

  I’m going to love her work..? Jessica ignored any other words and opened the clear door, pulling it open to step in. A loud tingling of the bell above the door didn’t alarm her as she began to evaluate the building. The walls were a plain white and the floors a light brown wood. She works at a clothing store... her eyes ran through the four isles of clothes in front, faintly seeing the shoe isles behind. The store wasn’t all too busy, but that might’ve been due to the fact that it was still early in the day. She glanced her way at the store clerk about twenty feet away behind the thick half circle wooden desk. 

 

    “Not bad...” she muttered to herself, lost in the world of examining. 

 

“Good you think so, jagiya*.” Sooyoung let out a breath of relieve, as if Jessica’s response on her workplace mattered. 

 

    “Can you stop acting like we know each other well when I just met you?” Jessica replied frigidly, beginning to stroll more into the depth of the store. 

 

   “If I stop now I won’t say them later,” Sooyoung commented, following Jessica leisurely. “You should meet the owner of the store, great girl.” 

 

  “Is she working now?” The golden-haired female asked, turning back to face her personal GPS, stealing another glance at the woman behind the corner. 

 

  Sooyoung also looked that way, her face switching emotions. “S.Y!” The clerk cheered jubilantly, grabbing a part of the counter and flipping it up to get out. Her high heels clicked on the floor as she jogged over to her friend. 

 

  The two embraced while Jessica got a better look at her. She was dressed in a crop top with a black cami underneath, her pants a pair of black jeans and her feet in unusual red heels. It wasn’t until she fully hugged Sooyoung that she realized why she had the heels on.

 

   “Who’s this?” The owner asked, grinning a white smile. Her hair was also blonde, but richer and straighter than Jessica’s, stopping a little below her ears with her bangs leaning to the left (like in The Boys era). 

 

   “Jessica, meet Sunny. Sunny, meet Jessica. She’s my...” Sooyoung introduced them to each other, but her tongue cut short at what to call Jessica. Suddenly it came to her, and she let out an awkward giggle. “She’s the girl I told you about this morning.” 

 

  “Oh, hi Jessica!” Sunny’s voice was a gentle shocker to her, higher pitched then what she expected. “I’ve been Soo’s friend since third grade. I was her girlfriend for two years but then we decided afterward that it’s best to stay friends.” 

 

  Sunny put her around around Sooyoung’s shoulders and Sooyoung playfully pushed her. “You act like she wanted our whole story!” 

 

   Sunny nodded and let out a hand, without thinking, Jessica shook it back nonchalantly.  “Nice to meet you, Sunny.” Jessica secretly thought that then was the best time to run away from this place, but she knew that she had left her bags and things back at her hotel room. Or were they all in Sooyoung’s room? She knew that last night she must’ve brought over her suitcase and phone, but there still might be more at her own. Plus, if she ran away now, where would she go? She’d already missed work, was called out sick, and her plane didn’t leave until two days. 

 

   “Why don’t we all go out for lunch? My employees are fine without me.” Sunny paused and yelled, “Right Will and Catherine?” 

 

   “We got it boss!” The two voices screamed back in almost perfect unison. Jessica couldn’t detect where they directly came from, but she was guessing it was obviously somewhere in the vicinity. 

 

   “Let’s go!” Sunny twisted them both around to face the front door again. But I just got here! “You’re hungry, right Sooyoung?” 

 

    Sooyoung nodded enthusiasticly but Jessica stopped in her steps, coming even more to her senses. “Wait, what just happened? I thought I was going to look around or-” she was cut off by more pushing from Sunny. Yet again, she was being dragged to a mysterious place today.


     

   As they paced on quickly, many things ran through Jessica’s mind. For example, Why am I doing this?, and Is it a normal thing for them to drag each other around everywhere? She shook her head, changing to the optimist side. Sunny seems really nice, maybe she can be my second GPS later, and I hope there’s good food where we’re going. She also hoped that they were doing fine with the presentation at work while she was gone away ‘sick’. 

 

  The roads flew by, Jessica barely paying attention, letting the pedestrians walk on casually. It wasn’t until they abruptly stopped in the middle of the sidewalk that the reality hit her more than ever. “Why did we stop?” 

 

  “Listen to her sing,” Sooyoung nudged Jessica, as if she was listening the whole time. It appeared Sunny and Sooyoung had been having an intriguing conversation during the trip, and that they were pausing for a listen to a local performer. Jessica sighed and turned her attention to the dark brunette woman’s voice dance, she wasn’t too bad, Jessica admitted. A small crowd of ten or so people joined, but a majority just passed by without caring, busy with their lives. 

   A few citizens threw money in the black baseball hat lying on the floor next to her, Sunny and Sooyoung two of them. The singer finished her melody and the two friends clapped while everybody expanded around them, leaving Jessica the only silent one in the leftover crowd of three. 

 

  “I love your voice! What’s your name?” Sooyoung queried, beaming brightly. 

 

 “Tiffany Hwang, thank you so much for the money! Really!” She interjected loudly, smiling back friendly. 

 

   “It’s nothing, we just gave you some pocket money.” Sunny added into the conversation, bumping Jessica in the back, gesturing her to speak she guessed. 

 

  “Yeah, your voice is great,” Jessica blurted out and hit her shoulder to Sunny’s for revenge. 

 

   “Thank you so so so much, can I repay your kindness for doing anything?” 

 

“Well, we were just going off to lunch and-” Sooyoung began unthinkingly, being painfully stopped by another violent act from Sunny. 

 

  “Lunch! Really? Is it fine if I pay? Though I don’t know if I had enough money for four..” Tiffany bent down and grasped her hat, looking through the pitiful amount of cash. She started to put a hand in her pocket to take a wallet but Sunny grabbed her arm. 

 

  “No, you don’t have to pay. We can, don’t worry. Your voice is just enough of a payment.” Sunny quickly thought of something, and Jessica could tell that she was getting annoyed at Sooyoung for mentioning anything.

 

  “Aw, you guys are so sweet. But I’m really allowed to accompany you? It looks like you already have a crowd.” Tiffany muttered, taking a glance at Jessica. Why do I suddenly feel like a third wheel?

 

   “Of course you can! The more the better!” Sooyoung kindly let Tiffany join the party, and Sunny again inflicted pain on her friend by slapping her closest arm. 

    “So I guess we can leave now, unless you’re busy...” Jessica spoke for once, her voice not as loud as the others. She really wasn’t lucky today was she? 

 

   “I’m not busy, do you think a street performer is busy? Let’s go now!” And at that, the pair of friends and two strangers headed off. 

 

  • jagiya is slang for honey, most commonly used in couples