Prologue: How to Handle Things the Wrong Way

My Wife Is Straight

A groggily moan escaped from the half-asleep lump on the bed. Images of last night circled her head, from meeting somebody to somehow renting a limo. Jessica’s mind wandered until something hit her, where am I and how did I get here? The room didn’t sound like her own hotel room, as there was a lot of light and it sounded like something was frying on the stove. She tossed to face the left side of the bed and slightly opened her eyes, silently wishing she was back home in Korea and her boyfriend was the one making the food. The other side of the bed was empty to her relief, but that didn’t explain the frying.

 

   “Good morning sleeping beauty,” an unfamiliar voice sounded. Her eyes flashed fully open and she turned back to the front to sit up. Jessica’s eyes sadly didn’t deceive her, it was a woman. She let out a quiet sigh before looking at the stranger more clearly.

 

  She had medium brown hair stylized in a very round bun at the edge of the top of her head and brown eyes. Her clothes were average but with a bit more style, but it also seemed like in anything she would look like a model. Thankfully, she was also Korean. A tan apron with checked side pockets covered from her chest to a little above her ankles, her feet of which were bare. 

 

  “Who are you and where am I?” Jessica wasn’t in the mood for sweet talk, she wanted out of here as fast as she could. 

 

   “That’s sorta cold for someone who made you breakfast,” the woman replied, ignoring Jessica’s questions. The aroma of pancakes and bacon made her stomach complain of emptiness, reminding her that she couldn’t remember that last time she had eaten or how much. Apparently the growling was loud enough to be heard by other’s ears, as she added, “You sound hungry too, do you remember the last time you ate?” 

 

  That made her think a bit, didn’t she eat at the bar last night? Distracted as other thoughts entered her mind, Jessica responded, “Don’t act like you didn’t hear me! I want to know who you are and-” she was cut off when work suddenly came to mind. Jessica immediately took a glance at the clock and let out a very disappointed sigh, her face full of fret.

 

  “You slept in honey, it’s 11:39 already.” How did you know I had work at 9? Jessica thought as the taller person walked over and set a medium sized plate of pancakes, eggs, bacon, and a strawberry poptart on the nightstand next to Jessica and the bed. “But don’t worry, I already called you in sick for today.” 

 

  “You what?” She roared, suddenly eating and getting to work were at the least of her problems. “I want an answer now or I’m calling the police, who are you?” 

 

  “I’m Choi-” another interruption, this time a cell phone. The ringtone of the pink-panda cased iPhone paused Jessica from her answer. She let out another heavy sigh before starting to get up to grab it, the phone was hers, and it was probably her mother calling. 

 

 “The Jung residence. How may I help you?” The stranger had grabbed it first. Already out of her seat, Jessica hurried over and almost violently grabbed the phone out of her hand. 

 

  “Who is this? Is Jessica there?” the male voice on the line confused her for a second. Did my boss call? It wasn’t until she heard the high-pitched barking of Samson in the background that she recognized who it was.

 

  “Hi Daewook, yes I know I called in sick for work today. I...um...I...” Jessica took a harsh glance at Ms. Choi for answers. The brunette rolled her eyes and made a coughing gesture, her body in motion to rest in a chair from the table in front of the bed. “I have a cough. Yes I’ll be back in Seoul by Monday, bright and cheery to see you. I understand, yes, I love you too.” Jessica responded to the other voice on the phone quickly, wanting to get back to figuring out who just that was who the other person in the  room was. She calmly set the phone down on the edge of the bed and soon flopped down next to it. “You are...?” 

 

  “Choi Sooyoung, we got married last night.” She put out a hand, a welcoming gesture, as if they were friends of a friend meeting each other for the first time. Jessica watched her friendly smile as they shook hands, not even trying to beam back. “Who was on the phone?” How can you be so casual at this time?

 

  “My boyfriend back in Korea, my boss called him and asked what was wrong because I sounded weird when I called in sick.” Jessica explained, eyeing her supposed newly-wed partner at the predicate of the sentence. She continued with her own query, “So Sooyoung, do you have a logical explanation to last night?” 

 

   “Wait so you’re not gay?” Sooyoung’s voice raised about two octaves at the question. 

 

  Jessica coughed out in response, surprised. “Me? Lesbian? No no no no, no. We were both drunk out our minds and-”

 

  “I was 40% more sober than you, as I actually remember what mostly happened.” Sooyoung recalled, finally answering one of the many questions right now in Jessica’s life. Good, you can tell me.

 

  “Why did you say yes to marrying me then?” Jessica got up from the bed, her feet walking better than she thought they would for being hungover. She grabbed the now lukewarm dish of breakfast that Sooyoung had brought on the nightstand earlier, joining back to her spot on the bed for the response. 

 

  “You didn’t ask me, I asked you.” Out of all the shocking things she had heard today, this beat them all.