Chapter 14

Make Your Move

Amber’s POV

Our managers gave me two weeks to write a song for our collaboration with f(x). I was excited and at the same time nervous. Writing songs weren’t difficult for me, what I’m worried about is whether they’ll like the songs or not especially now that f(x) is gonna perform it with us. I decided to finish the song I’ve been working on for a long time. As I have said before, it wasn’t complete because I don’t know what words to put in with the melody. I kept on thinking what the song should be about. Then, I remembered our friends in high school. They were the perfect couple but after graduation, the girl needed to go to the US. It was heart-breaking to see them part since we all know how their love story started. So I had an idea. Why don’t I write a song about them? I got excited and found the perfect words about their story. So now, I’m on my way to the living room to show this new song to the boys. I wanna know what they think.

“Guys? What do you think? Is it okay? I can still make some adjustments.” I said trying to get their attention. The boys are still reading the lyrics. I somewhat felt nervous because they weren’t saying anything. After a minute, Key suddenly looked at me.

“This story seems familiar.” he said tilting his head to the side.

“Yes. Is this about our friends in high school?” Jonghyun asked with his eyebrows up.

I just smiled. Wow! They really got the song. Haha!

“Wow Amber, you’re really are the man!” Minho said while messing my hair.

“So, do you like it? Do you think f(x) and the managers will like it?” I asked nervously.

“Of course Amber! Don’t worry!” assured Jong.

“Yeah bro, I’m sure our first collaboration will be successful.” Onew exclaimed.

How about you, Taemin? What do you think?” I asked and the boys and I looked at his direction. He didn’t speak. He slowly stood up, clapped his hands and shook his head side to side while faking a tear coming out of his eyes. We all laughed at his silliness and jump on him.

“It’s time to show this to the managers!” shouted Jonghyun.

 

SM Entertainment

“Hmm…” our manager said while reading the lyrics.

“Have you embedded the melody too Amber?” asked f(x)’s manager. We are now at the music studio. They decided to hold the meeting there just in case we need to let them hear the song.

“Yes sir. Actually the boys and I had already practiced at our dorm.”

“Well then, let’s hear it.” they said.

Krystal and the girls seated themselves near their managers. The boys and I went to our positions and started playing. Throughout the song, I can see that the girls especially Krystal like it. After playing, the managers gathered us again and told us how to divide the songs. There is a rap part too so maybe one of the boys will do it.

Before heading back to the dorm, Krystal asked me if I wanted to talk with her for a while. Of course I said yes. While walking through the halls, we passed by their poster and I immediately stopped.

“Why did we stop?” she asked surprised.

I just pointed at their poster with a smile.

“She looked at where I was pointing at then giggled.

“You know, that day when we submitted our demo tape, we passed by this hall and I saw this poster.” I said still looking at it.

“Really? We didn’t know each other that time yet, right?” she said.

“Yes. Before we went out of the building, I talked to your picture first. Haha!” I said slightly embarassed.

“Hahahaha! What did you say?”

“I said I hope I could meet you.” I said but now looking at her. “And here you are, we finally met.” I said looking at with a smile.

She blushed a little then said, “Wow, I didn't know my picture has magic. Haha.”

“Yeah… haha… and I’m really happy I met you.”

“I’m happy I met you too, Amber.” she said while looking at me.

Our moment was interrupted when Krystal’s phone rang.

“Yes unnie? Okay, we’re going now.” Then ended the call.

“Uhm Luna unnie called. She said it’s time to go home and take a rest since we’ll have rehearsal with your group tomorrow.” she said.

"Oh right, so let's go?"

"Okay."

 

SM Entertainment music studio

"Okay girls, are you now familiar with your parts?" asked f(x)'s manager.

"Yes oppa!" they answered

"How about you The Strings?" asked our manager.

"Yes, sir!" we answered.

"Then let's start!"

We rehearsed for the whole day. During the rehearsal, all of us focused on the song. The girls really sang their parts just like how I imagined. I can't wait for our performance day. Our managers gave us a day off tomorrow to be on full energy the next day. Before going home, Victoria noona treated us coffee. 

"Amber, that song is really good! How did you come up with that?" she asked. All the girls looked at my direction and again, I felt shy. 

"Uhm... actually, I didn't have any idea on how to write the song at first though I already had the melody on. I had been working on that for a long time. I then got the inspiration from our friends back in high school and decided to use it for the song." While I was telling them the story I noticed that Krystal stood up and went outside. I wanted to follow her but I can't leave in the middle of the story. When Krystal came back, she just sat on her chair and played with her phone. She just stayed quiet until it's time to go home. I wanted to walk with her but she immediately grabbed Sulli's hand and dragged her with her. What's wrong with her?

 

Krystal's POV

Hmp. She already wrote the song but she didn't tell me. She promised that I would be the first one to hear it, but she lied. I thought I was special. She even gave me this bracelet. I think this means nothing anymore. I don't wanna talk to her! How would I deal with her tomorrow? Argh! I'll just ignore her. Oh well, I'd better sleep this off.

NEXT DAY

"10 minutes guys and your on!" shouted the floor director.

We were busy preparing ourselves back stage when I saw Amber walking towards me. I quickly turned around and pretended to talk with my make-up artist. I think she saw what I did so she just walked away. I'm still mad. I hope she figures out why.

"It's show time!" we heard the director again so all went to our positions on stage. 

"A new collaboration from SM Entertainment! Let's all welcome, The Strings and f(x)!" we heard the crowd scream but immediately calmed down when we were about to start. Amber started strumming her guitar.

*intro of Goodbye Summer* 

Author's note: Hi readers. I used the translated version of Goodbye Summer. If you'll notice, the words are different because I changed them so it will match to the tune of the Korean version and would be easier for you guys to imagine them singing it. But don't worry, I just rephrased it but the meaning is still the same. As for the chorus, I used Amber's but she only exposed a part of it in English so I just made my own. The names above the lyrics indicates the person singing the part. DISCLAIMER: I don't own the song nor the lyrics. Copyrights belong to their owners.

Onew

I remember all the days

All the times

Our sweet memories in school

We get in trouble

But it’s fine

They were special all in all

Luna

And as we walk (yeah yeah)

Me and you (yeah yeah)

Would spend a lot of time talking

Same words with love and meaning

Taemin

On the last day of school you shed your tears

Sulli

Because you’re the one whom I’ll surely miss

Taemin

But I guess it’s time for us to part

Sulli

Please just stay, please keep my heart

Amber and Krystal

I just wanna love you

Give me that chance

Wanna hold you

Baby you know that I need you I need you

And I’m wondering all the time

Just stay with me

Let me prove that

I can make you happy

Please don’t end our love story, I’m sorry

Baby just don’t say good-bye yeah yeah

Minho for rap and Victoria for second voice

What do I say, we didn’t have to play no games

I should’ve took the chance

I should’ve asked for you to stay

And it gets me down

The unsaid words that still remain

Just let our story start, don’t bring it to an end

Jonghyun

Your song that day was all I need

Like the flickering lights of the summer sea

The feelings we shared, I’ll treasure the most

But like the deep night sky, we say good-bye

Repeat chorus for Krystal and Amber

Key and Luna

Baby oh no oh oh oh I wish you could hear what I want to say

Oh, I really love you please stay

No secrets now, it’s time to let you know

What I feel, I’ll let it out, just tell me you won't go away

All now for the chorus

After the performance, I can feel that Amber really wants to talk to me but I didn't give her a chance. I told my members that I really want to go home now so they just agreed and we left the building immediately. On our way home, I received a message from Amber.

From: Amber

         Are you mad at me?

I ignored her message. Then after a few minutes she sent another one.

From: Amber

        Why are you ignoring me? Did I do anything wrong? If so, I'm sorry.

See? She doesn't have any idea of what she did. She was trying to call me but I rejected it. After that, she didn't send messages or calls anymore. I don't know why I'm so pissed. All I know is I hate her.

 

At The Strings' Dorm, Amber's POV

"Whoooo! They loved our performance dudes!" screamed Key.

"Yeah! I'm so happy I didn't mess up the rap. It's my first time rapping!" exclaimed Minho who dropped himself on the couch.

All the boys congratulated one other but I was lost in my thoughts.

"Amber? dude? Are you alright?" said Taemin.

"What's wrong Am? We did well today but you don't look very happy." said Jonghyun.

"I am Iam... it's just that..."

"What?" asked Onew.

"I'll go out for a while, okay." I said while grabbing my guitar. I didn't even waited for the boys' answer. I just needed to go to Krystal. I went to their dorm and knocked. Luna noona opened the door for me.

"Good evening noona, may I speak with Krystal?"

"Wait, let me check on her." and she went inside and closed the door a little. When the door opened, I saw Krystal with a blank expression.

"Why?" she said in a monotone.

"Can we talk?"

"I'm already sleepy."

"Please, it will not take long."

She put on her shoes and went outside their dorm. I saw her looking confused as she saw a guitar in my hand.

"Where are we going?"

"Just downstairs where we used to talk before." I said. When we reached downstairs, we went out towards the steps. I invited her to sit. She sat but still did not look at me.

"Why are you mad at me?" I asked. She didn't answer.

"Hey..." I said poking her shoulder.

"Stop that!" she said pushing my hand away.

"What's wrong? What did I do? Please talk to me..." I pleaded.

"You really don't know? Wow.." she said in an irritated manner. "That song we sang, it was the song you've been working on for a long time right?"

"Yes..." I answered shortly.

"You said when you're done writing it, I'd be the first person who'll hear it."

"Yes, I said that."

"Then what happened? I wasn't the first one." she said angrily. But even though she's acting this way, she still looks so adorable.

"Oh that's because this will be the first time I'll play it." I said smiling.

"What? C'mon stop lying." she said as she stood getting ready to leave.

"Would you please stay first and listen?" I said holding her sleeves. She stopped on her tracks and looked at me. I started playing the chords for the chorus of Goodbye Summer but she was surprised when the words are not the same as what we've sung earlier.

Amber's I Just Wanna for Krystal

I just wanna love you

Be my princess

Let me serve you

Now you know that I need you

I miss you

And I’m wondering all the time

If you stay with me

And let me prove I can make you happy

I wanna start our love story, just let me

and I'll never say good bye yeah yeah

After singing, I saw Kystal trying to hide her smile. I smiled back at her. Haha.. she's so cute. I never thought that she'd be this childish. Childish in a cute way. It makes me want to take care of her more.

"The song we sang earlier, is just for the show. But this one is for you. I got this idea even before we met. It tells about how I feel for you back when I was just a fan." I explained. she didn't say anything so I spoke again.

Are you still mad?" I asked while smiling. She just shook her head still covering her lips.

"Then come here." I said gesturing her to come near me which she did. I put down my guitar and we stared at each other. She removed her hand away from her lips and picked something from her pocket.

"Here." she said holding out the bracelet I gave her. I was shocked because I thought she's returning it to me but then she spoke.

"I was planning to give it back to you because I was so mad." she said. 

"Do you want me to take it back?" I said with a sad tone.

"No..." she said. She said while wearing it around her wrist again. I smiled. 

"Wait, give me that." I said trying to take her bracelet off from her.

"Why?" she said surprised.

"Let's exchange." I said removing mine and putting it on her.

"There. Never take it off please." I said and she nodded. I wore her bracelet on my wrist too.

I can't help it anymore. I held her left arm, pulled her close to me and hugged her. I thought she would get mad again but I felt her arms wrap around my waist. We stayed like that for a while. Before we broke the hug she whispered something.

"I'm sorry Amber."

"It's okay. But please, don't ignore me like that again." I whispered back.

"Okay."

It's getting colder outside so we went in. As usual, I walked her to their dorm again.

"We're okay now, right?" I asked just to be sure.

She nodded again and just like the other day, we pecked each other on the cheek.

"Good night, Amber."

"Good night, my Princess."

 

Author's note: I apologize for this wordy chapter. I hope you liked how I wrote it. Please do comment your thoughts about this. Thank you for your support! <3