Goodbye but not really

I remember

(Min Ho)

"Oppa is leaving, you have to take care of yourself and our parents, okay?" I tell Min Jung. She nods, wipes her tears away and gives me a tight hug. I hug her back as tightly. 

"I'm going to miss you so bad," She frowns. 

"Me too, Jung-ah, me too," I sigh. My eyes are threatening to tear too but I'm holding back as much as I can. I let go of my sister to look at the girl I've been in love with since forever. I open my arms wide and she automatically steps into them. We stay in each other's arms for what seems like only a few minutes but it's been about fifteen minutes. "I have to go, Shin Hye-ah."

She shakes her head against my chest, causing my heart to ache. Her tears soaked through my shirt. Noticing it, she quickly attempts to dry it by blowing on it. The wet spot just had to be near my . It's a sad moment but I can't help but to feel . Even when we're about to separate, she still manages to arouse me, that girl. I squirm and quickly stop her.

"I'm sorry," She sniffs.

"It's okay," I smile at her assuringly. I softly plant my lips on her forehead. I'm glad my girlfriend doesn't put make up at all or my lips will be icky with foundation. "I'll be back before you know it. Don't fall for any other guy!"

She chuckles slightly before pouting. "I'm more worried about you. I'm afraid the girls there will try to seduce you because my boyfriend is so handsome."

I laugh at her before giving her a light kiss on her lips. Her lips are like magnet, I can't seem to resist myself.

"Only you can succesfully seduce me, Shin Hye-ie," I wink at her, causing her to laugh uncomfortably and her cheeks to turn red. I smile at my A clearing of throat catches our attention and we turn to see Min Jung fake gagging, causing us both to laugh awkwardly. 

"It's time to go, Oppa!" Min Jung reminds, glancing at her watch. She pushes me slightly, telling me to go now. "Kyung San said to say sorry that he can't be here today because he's sick."

"I know," I nod. "It's okay, I'll see him when I come back. Tell him I'll fly back straight away to beat him up if he mistreats you... and that I'll miss him too."

"Yeah, yeah, hurry and go," She rolls her eyes. I flick her forehead lightly, mock glaring at her. She giggles before handing me my luggage. "Eat well, sleep well, and study well!"

I give Shin Hye a last kiss and my little sister a last hug before turning away from them, leaving. My tears that I tried so hard to contain finally spill. My parents were just now but they left early because my mom wasn't feeling well. She said she couldn't bear to see me walk away so she had to walk away first. I assured her again and again that I will be fine, and that I will make them proud. My dad unexpectedly shedded some tears as well. I wipe my tears away fiercely upon arriving at the check in gate. 

 

After the whole tiring process of boarding the plane, I am finally seated. I put on my earphones to help alleviate the loneliness, even if only by a little bit. I look out of the window, wondering if the years that I'm going to spend abroad is going to change a lot of things. Firstly, I hope that when I'm back, my relationship with Shin Hye will be the same, or even better. Secondly, I hope Kyung San and Min Jung will also still be together, and that they will do well in their University so my sacrifice (Can it be called a sacrifice?) will not go to waste. Thirdly, I hope my parents, Shin Hye's parents and her grandmother will still be healthy and kicking. I just want everything to not change at all but who am I kidding? Things will definitely be different. 

Unexpected things happen all the time, which is what scares me the most. 

Me agreeing to go abroad to study is one example of an unexpected happening. I only agreed because I finally looked at the whole matter from my dad's perspective. As a person who dreams about going abroad to do great things, it is inevitable for him to want someone to carry out his dream that he is unable to complete. My dad scrimped and saved for years since Min Jung and I was born to send one of us overseas. He didn't mind whichever course we want to take, he just wanted one of us to go and experience something different, something that he wasn't able to experience. He was most upset about not being able to send both of us together. It was something he experienced before. He made the mistake (which actually isn't a bad mistake if you ask me) of knocking my mom up before University so he had to marry my mom. My grandfather, who wanted my father and his brother to study abroad, decided that his brother should go because my father had to stay to look after my mother. He could only study part-time at a local University while working to provide for my mother and the then unborn us. My mother told me that even then my father never resented my grandfather, uncle, my mother or us. Any rotten man would be blaming the world instead of himself and would do all he can to torture his wife and children but not my dad. He worked and studied hard just so one day when we grow up, we would go in his place. He wanted us to be successful, be it getting our degree overseas or in Korea.

I decided to go, making use of this chance to test the strength of my relationship with Shin Hye. I told myself that if we managed to survive these few years and are still going strong together, that I would propose to her once I get back. We don't have to get married right away, but we will at least get engaged first.

I'm also going to take the opportunity to make my parents proud. I'm going to come back as a great business man. I'm going to make my father's suffering and hardwork worth it.

 

There's some stirring beside me and I pray that my flight neighbour will not be an who can't stay still. As I turn to see who it is, my mouth falls open and my eyes widen.

"Hi!" Shin Hye beams, waving to me cheerfully. 

What just happened?