Choices and sacrifices

I remember

(Min Jung)

"Min Jung-ah, don't cry," Kyung San frowns, rubbing my shoulders to calm me down. I shake my head. I feel so horrible, knowing that either Kyung San and I or Oppa and Shin Hye has to part. I kind of resent my father for causing us so much misery. I've known since young that my father really wants to go to America for his studies but because of us, he is unable to do so. There are many times he wanted us to migrate there as a family but because of our grandparents, we couldn't. Our grandparents didn't want to move to some foreign place.

"I don't want any of us to be separated," I cry. Kyung San spread his arms out and I move forward, willingly accepting his embrace as I lay my head on his firm, sturdy chest. It manages to soothe me a little but I still can't help but feel upset. We have to answer dad tomorrow, but neither of us has an answer yet. Thinking of having to leave to America and not being able to be held by Kyung San for a few years really hurt. I cry even more, and I know it's making Kyung San feel helpless but I can't stop myself. My mom calls me to go back home because she wants to speak with my brother and I. "I have to go, jagiya. I'll call you later."

"Okay," He nods. "I'll send you home."

We walk in silence, hand in hand, feeling that there's nothing to be said because we both know what's on each other's mind. I reach home in no time and we hug for a little while before I turn to go in. A tug on my wrist sends me twirling around. Kyung San places a warm, sweet kiss on my lips before sending me in again. It takes all the self-control in me to not go after him and propose that we elope from this place together. My mother is sitting on the couch with my brother already there. 

"Eomma," I cry, running over to hug her while wailing. Min Ho hugs both of us while patting my head soothingly. 

"I've tried to get your father to change his mind but he's not budging. I don't know why he is so adamant about this," she sighs, her eyes getting teary. "I don't want any of you to leave my side."

"Neither do we," Min Ho frowns. "Let's just refuse to the end. There's nothing he can do."

"He already printed the admission form, and is calling to secure a place for one of you," Mom sighs. I cry even harder. 

I turn to my brother, who is fuming. "Oppa, do you... want me to go?"

He shakes his head vigorously. "I don't want either of us to go. As long as the school fees are not paid, we still have a chance. I'll think of a way. You think of one too."

I nod and dejectedly walk up to my room. Just the thought of having to live abroad without my family, my best friend and my boyfriend really kills me inside. I pick up my phone and decide to call Shin Hye. 

 

(Min Ho)

"So, have you both pick who is to go to America?" Dad asks during dinner. My fists clenches automatically. I see mom eyeing me anxiously, her gaze pleading for me to not do anything reckless. My fists loosen slightly.

"Neither of us are going," I state firmly. He looks at me, unpleased with my reply. 

"Min Jung-ah, I thought you are always hoping to go overseas? This is the perfect chance," Dad says while looking at Min Jung with a soft gaze. She looks down at her fiddling fingers.

"I don't want to leave you guys, and Shin Hye and Kyung San," Min Jung mutters. "If I have to go I want everyone to go with me."

I look at my father. His face is red and it shows how angry it is. "You want to give up perfect education for all these? We will all visit you, that's for sure. You should be happy that your parents can afford to send you there! There are so many people who wants to get education in America but can't afford to do so."

"Appa, I'm thankful, I really am," Min Jung cries. "I just rather stay here for an education. I prefer it here. I don't want to go to a place that's so foreign alone. It's scary."

My dad shakes his head, sighs and turns to me. "Then you go."

I am about to refuse when mom slams her rice bowl on the table, shocking all of us. She stomps out of the kitchen without saying anything and our dad automatically get up to chase after her. I look at my crying sister before going over to hug her. 

"Let's go up," I tell her gently. She nods and lets me lead her to her room. She plops down on her soft bed while I sit on the couch, both of us waiting for each other to break the silence. I look up from the floor to see her lying on her bed. She sighs, as if knowing that I'm looking at her.

"Oppa, what are we going to do?" She asks me. I sigh at her question. This is what I've been asking myself since my dad broke the news to us. What are we going to do? I can't possibly let her go, because she's so kind and soft I'm afraid people will hurt her. We are different. Not every American will accept an Asian. I know there are many Asians in the States but I don't want my sister to risk getting bullied. "Oppa."

"Yeah?"

"I have an idea," Min Jung says, springing up from her previous position. I look at her curiously, wondering what her idea is. "Let's run away."

I sigh. "What about Eomma?"

"We'll tell her where we are and get her to pretend like she doesn't know!"

I smirk at my devious little sister. "Good idea."

 

(Sorry for the late update! I was having a writer's block. T.T Hope this short chapter isn't too disappointing! I'll try my best to update soon although I'm having tests next week... Please bear with me!)