Selfish

I remember

(Shin Hye)

Something is going on. I don't know what it is yet but I just know something is going on. For the past three days, I've been texting Min Jung and Min Ho and they both won't reply me. They don't even pick up my calls. I wanted to go over to their house but I am so busy with school work. Talking about school, Min Jung also hasn't been coming since three days ago. This omnious feeling just wouldn't leave me. Them ignoring me really hurts and I can't do anything but cry myself to sleep. Yesterday, I even resorted to texting Kyung San but he also doesn't reply. 

While walking to school dejectedly, I bump into someone, causing me to apologise profusely because I'm not focused but am distracted.

"Sorry!" I bow. The person put his or her hands on each of my shoulder and I jump. Who does this person think he or she is touc--- I look up only to be surprised by Min Ho standing in front of me. I narrow my eyes at him and step back from him but his hands are rooted firmly on my shoulders.

"Hey," He says gently. I look away because I can't look at him in the eyes without breaking down. "I know you're upset but---"

"Shut up and leave me alone like you did for the past three days!" I shout at him. He flinches but doesn't let go. Tears well up in my eyes. He pulls me back close to him. He forces me to look up at him by grabbing my face. 

"I'm sorry, Shin Hye, but... Min Jung found out about us," He confesses softly, his voice filled with pain. "She refuses to talk to me and Kyung San at all. She goes out of her way to avoid us."

My blood runs cold. She found out? How is that possible? Only Min Ho, Kyung San and I know. Who would tell her? I can't seem to think of a person who knows and will betray us like that. Min Ho hugs me when I'm blanking out. I push him away and put some distance between us.

"I'll go over today to talk to her," I say before walking away from him. I can feel his stare piercing through my back and I know he's still right at the spot where I left him but I need to think on my own. I still have not forgiven him for MIA-ing. Even if we're found out he can't just ignore me for three days, leaving me hanging there like an idiot. I cannot concentrate in class the entire day and there are times where I feel like crying so bad. It's all because of memories. I remember once, when we were talking on the phone, he told me that he's been crushing on me since he first saw me at the bus stop. I was so shocked yet overjoyed. It wasn't a one-sided love at all. It was reciprocated. He said that he will always be there for me and he will never leave me hanging, and yet that's all he has been doing for the past three days. There's not one text at all, not until he looked me up just now. 

After school, I politely decline my classmates' invitation to go to the mall. Instead, I go over to the twins' house to clarify the matters. This can't be dragged on anymore. I knock on the door and it is Min Jung who opens it. Her eyes narrow when she sees that it's me. I flinch slightly and she notices it. She then reluctantly step to the side to let me in.

"I have things to say, Min Jung," I tell her softly. We stand in front of each other awkwardly.

"What do you want to say to me? Or better yet, lie to me?" She rolls her eyes, giving me attitude. I sigh but continue to talk anyway.

"I'm sorry for hiding it from you," I say. "The thing is, we want to tell you. We want your blessings but I know you'd rather us stay as 'siblings'."

"Despite that, you still got together?"

"That's because we really do like each other... You know it better than anyone else how relationship stuffs are complicated and things like this can't be controlled."

"I trusted you guys! I trusted you guys enough to let us all hangout. If I'd known you two will fall for each other then I wouldn't have let us stay close together all the time. I'd prevent this."

What she said really angers me and I feel like she's a stranger. The Min Jung I know isn't like this at all. The Min Jung I know will put her loved ones before her. What made her this way?

"You can date your brother's best friend but I can't date my best friend's brother? Can't you see you're being selfish?" I say, my voice increasing with every word spoken. I'm angry, but more than anything, I'm hurt. I'm hurt that my best friend won't make an effort to understand me or even listen to me. Hurt that she doesn't consider my feelings at all. 

"Then why don't you look in my perspective? What will happen if you guys break up and you decide you don't want anything that's got to do with him anymore? What will happen to me? Plus, what about Jae Min? He loves you so much!" 

"Then what will happen to your brother if you decide to break up with Kyung San? Won't they stop being friends as well?" I ask, tears welling up in my eyes. "Don't even try to bring Jae Min up. I've told him, and you, from the start that I only see Jae Min as a good friend. You were so fixed on getting me and Jae Min together even if I didn't want to! Is your happiness really more important than mine?" 

Min Jung looks at me with anger and sadness. The look she gives me tells me that she only brought us together because she wants to prevent me and Min Ho from getting together. I feel betrayed, I feel hurt, I feel like the trust I have for her is gone in an instant. I shake my head in sadness and turn to walk out but I notice Min Ho standing at the door. He must be listening to us. I push pass him and run off. I can hear him running after me but I run even faster to get rid of him. I reach a small and old playground and decide to sit on the swing to calm down. 

I swing back and forth lightly while I cry. It makes me sad to think that our friendship is so fragile. It makes me sad to know that I'm might lose both of them. They have been in my life for quite awhile now and they are two of the most important people in my life other than my parents. After I stop crying I make sure that there are no tear tracks left on my face before walking back home. My mom opens the door and looks at me for awhile, making me look down.

"What's wrong?" She asks as she steps to the side to let me in. Why is my mom so good at reading people? I sigh as I plop myself down onto the couch.

"Nothing's wrong, Eomma. I'm just tired and a little hungry," I lie. Well, it's not really a lie. I'm really really exhausted but I'm far from being hungry. I have no appetite at all. My mom doesn't answer and I look up to see her giving me a look, a look that says she doesn't believe me.

"You're my daughter. I'll definitely know if there's something wrong with you. I won't force you to tell me but you know you can always tell me if there's something bothering you," She says gently. She gives me a hug before going back to the kitchen and I sigh. I want to tell her so much, but there are some things that are better left unsaid because saying it will bring the pain back again. I go up to my room to take a nap so I can escape reality for a little while.  

 

(Min Ho)

The guilt I feel right now is killing me. I handled this matter without thinking through. I never thought of how Shin Hye would feel if I just ignore her all of a sudden. I thought that I should distance myself to pacify my sister but clearly I was wrong. I'm regretting like hell right now and I realise that although Shin Hye and I are at fault, Min Jung isn't completely innocent. 

"We need to talk," I say to my little sister. She looks up at me wearily and nods curtly. "How can you be so selfish? I gave in and let you be with Kyung San but you're so against me and Shin Hye being together? Have you thought of how much you're hurting her? Hurting us?"

"Don't I feel hurt too? She's always over here, and you guys are dating behind my back when I'm in the same house. I look like a fool. I feel like I'm not even important to you guys!"

"Weren't you and Kyung San dating behind my back as well? Didn't I look like a fool as well? Don't you think I felt the same way as you do?"

She keeps quiet, not knowing what to say anymore. A few minutes passed by and she still makes no move to say anything. I can see the tears rolling down her cheeks and normally I would feel for her but not now, not for this matter. Fed up, I turn and leave her room without saying another word.

1_zps0d1c61f5.jpg

(Don't hate Min Jung! xD And I'm sort of having a writer's block and I feel that this is not really well written I don't know why D: if you have any advice for me to write better please let me know! <3 I love all my subscribers hehehehe <3)