Reminiscing

I remember

(Min Ho)

The girl I saw everyday stopped coming to this bus stop since a few days back. It's really weird not seeing her here because I've seen her everyday for the past seven years. Over the years she changed so much and every little detail I've noticed. I remember how she looked like when she was ten. She had blue braces and pink plastic spectacles. Although it was quite a mismatch, I found it really adorable. She was also quite chubby then, and I thought it'd be nice if I could hug her. There are many other changes, and it's all for the better.

She grew her hair long and dyed it the colour of milk chocolate when she was fifteen. She started wearing contact lenses at sixteen. She only wore plain lenses at first, but slowly she experimented with different colours like grey, brown and even blue. I prefer her original eye colour that's a dark brown though because it suited her the best. Her eyes are big and gorgeous and I fall in love with her everytime I look into her eyes. 

She started putting on make up at seventeen, which is this year. How do I know her age? Well, this neighbourhood is pretty small to not know each other. She has never acknowledged me before though. All we ever had were brief exchanged glances.

I remember when she was forced to get her hair cut four years back. The entire neighbourhood heard the fight between her and her father. The first thing I noticed about her when she was walking over to the bus stop was her red face. She was crying while trying to use her bangs to cover her face by looking down. Her sobs while waiting for the bus broke my heart. I wanted to tell her that she still looked lovely even though her hair was now shoulder length. When she finally looked up, I smiled at her but she surprised me by crying even more which made me afraid that she thought I was laughing at her. I really wasn't I swear, I just wanted to reassure her that she's still beautiful.

I remember when she had her first branded bag. It was pink, I figured it's probably her favourite colour since her shoes were pink too. Her bag looked really expensive. I could see her more confident than ever when she carried that bag and it made her all the more adorable to me. It was autumn of the year when she was fifteen that she first started to wear knee high socks instead of ankle socks. I thought it made her look ever more youthful. A few days later, the entire neighbourhood's teenage girls were doing the same thing and I felt proud that she started a trend.

All these details that I remember of her caused me to wonder if she ever noticed me.

 

(Shin Hye)

One thing I dislike about my dad sending me to school was that I stopped seeing the boy I saw everyday at the bus stop. It was really weird and I felt really empty and strange inside when I didn't see him. It has been seven years, and he changed so much from since he was ten. I remember when I first saw him. I thought he looked pretty dorky with a bowl haircut although it was adorable too. His hair was thick and jetblack in colour. He was really skinny too and I was worried that he would just fall if a strong gust of wind blows by. It made me want to share my packed lunch with him but I was too shy to approach him.

When he was fifteen, he spiked his hair. I thought he looked really cute but I didn't dare to look at him much because I was afraid he'd think I was a creep. When he was sixteen, he started training his body. Week after week I see him looking stronger and buffer which I thought he looked really really handsome. I wanted to touch his muscles because to me a masculine guy was attractive. I mentally slapped myself for thinking that because it felt erted. His uniform tops were more fitting than ever due to his growing muscles. They used to be oversized. He started to alter and taper his pants at seventeen which is this year. He looked way more fashionable than before. He also changed his hairstyle to side bangs and he dyed his hair brown. I really liked it.

How do I know his age? Well, we actually stayed really near each other. I heard his parents talking about his studies and the grade he was in, which was the same as mine. I was glad he's not younger than me, although it's nearly impossible for us to be together.

I remember when he was shorter than me. Now, he's taller than me by half a head. It secretly made me happy. I remember when I was really determined to approach him but I did not because a girl came to join him at the bus stop. She was so pretty that it made me feel like he wouldn't even want to look at me. She kept holding his arm, which made me mad. In the end I gave up and decided against talking to him, especially with that girl around. There was once I felt really embarrassed. It was when my hair got too long and my father forced me to chop it off. I screamed and cried while he dragged me to the hairdresser. I was so upset and I didn't talk to him for weeks. My hair was then at the shoulder length and I felt ugly and plain. I didn't want to go to school until my hair grew longer but I was forced to by my parents. I cried all the way while walking to the bus stop and when I noticed he was there, I felt all the more embarrassed. It was bad enough that my hair was short but I was also crying so I looked even uglier and my face was red and blotchy. I hid my face all throughout waiting for the bus. I tried to stop crying but I couldn't. My hair was my life, it was really a depressing time for me. At one point of time, I looked up and I saw him smile at me, which made me cry even more because I was too embarrassed and he was probably judging me and laughing at me. I didn't dare to look up the entire time after.

I remember when he changed his backpack to a sling bag because it was popular at one period of time. I found it really nice on him. I remember when he wore his first pair of branded shoes. He looked like a model. He's so handsome. I remember during summer he was at the bus stop a flavoured ice bar. He looked so innocent and so much like the little boy he was. My heart melted, just like the ice pop.

After all the time I spent thinking and remembering every little detail of him, I really wonder if I had ever crossed his mind, even for a second.