A longing for victory

Finding the Missing Pieces

  Miyoung

I studied all last night, hoping that all the work would pay off today. Oh and what's today, you ask?

Today is the final exam and the last day of me being a freshman! Hopefully  when we come back to this school next year, everyone would forget what humiliation I went through this year. 

"Hwang Miyoung!" a voice called. I blinked my eyes, snapping out of my day dream, or should I say morning dream. That-- that makes no sense. 

"Please take your exam sheet," The teacher instructed.

Just think Miyoung, after today, you'll be free from all of this humiliation and mostly away from Donghae. Isn't that what you want? 

A grin appeared on my face. Yeah, that's right. I just need to get through the day and then after that, I'll be free at last! 

After grabbing my test and sitting back down. Something hit me. 

Literally, something hit me

I quickly looked around to see what hit me and all I could find was a note. I looked around to see who threw it at me but no one looked too suspious. I reached down and grabbed the note. Not long after, I found myself opening it up. 

Miyoung ~ Do you remember me? I miss you. Love, your oppa~ 

I quickly looked up after reading it and looked to my left and right. No one seemed to care. 

Who was this person? Was it the same person who helped my a couple of days ago?

"Begin." The teacher said. 

I quickly shoved the note in my pocket and began working on my test. 

It was quite simple but so many things ran through my mind; Something that I didn't want to happen. 

After almost an hour of working on the test, I finally finished. I looked around and noticed that I was the last one to be done. But I just smiled and handed it in to the teacher. 

When I sat back down, I came to realize that the note most likely came from an open window & I was right, our teacher left one of the windows open earlier. But who would deliver me a note like that? I took out the note from my pocket and re-read it over again. 

"Love, your oppa~" 

After a couple of seconds later, my eyes widened. 

It was Donghae! 

Wooyoung

I leaned against the building of her school and wondered to myself whether she recieved the note or not. I tried to think positive that she'd remember me. Hopefully, she would. 

I smiled to myself and began to walk away. 

Miyoung, I'm looking forward to being with you next year.  

Miyoung

Donghae oppa.... 

My cheeks began to turn pink. 

He misses me~ A big smile arose from my face. 

"Well students," The teacher said, "It's been a great year teaching you all and I hope you guys enjoy your Summer vacation--" 

The bell suddenly rung and without letting the teacher finish his sentence, the students dashed out the door. I was the only left in the building, excluding the teacher. I patiently walked towards him and calmingly said, "I hope you enjoy your Summer vacation, Mr. Choi~" 

A smile appeared on his face, "I hope you enjoy yours as well. You deserve a break."

I sure do.

We both exchanged smiles and soon after, I ran out of the room with a big smile plastered onto my face. 

I'm finally out of this place!!

I met my friends at a boba store nearby and we all chatted, remembering what hardships we endured throughout the year. They even brought up the pain I had to go through with Donghae. Good times... Sorta. We all laughed and stayed there for 30 minutes then left. 

"Miyoung~" Taeyeon said in a cute ageyo voice, "Can you go and hang out at my house tomorrow at 2pm? I've got a suprise for you. But making sure you arrive on time. Please~"

I just had to say yes to the ageyo voice, "Of course! I'll be there." 

The next day arrived and I found myself waking up around 1:21pm. Damnit, I slept in. 

What time did I have to arrive at Wifey's house? 

I quickly dressed up and ran to Taeyeon's house around 1:45. Right before ringing the door bell, I stopped myself from pressing it and remembered that I had to be there  right at 2pm (see what I did there? ;3) Being a fool, I just waited outside for 15 minutes and when I was really confident that it was 2pm, I rang the doorbell and awaited to see what was on the other side of the door. 

I heard someone from the inside unlock the door but they never bothered to open it. I slowly placed my hand on the door knob and began to open the door. Darkness surrounded me. Goosebumps began to appear on my arm. 

What's happening?

All of a sudden, the light . I looked around with a confused expression.

Someone suddenly hugged me from behind and my heart quickly beated. 

Could it be Donghae oppa? 

I turned around to see a familiar looking face in front of me.

"Wooyoung?!"

"Tiffany, you still remember me!" He smiled.

I stepped in and gave him a warm welcome back hug. 

Wooyoung

Please don't let go. Don't ever let go. 

She quickly let go after realizing that we had a long awkward hug. Taeyeon, who appeared from the corner of my eye, came out from the shadows and gave me two thumbs up. 

"Uhm-- so what are we doing today?" Miyoung suddenly asked. 

"We're going to go out and have fun!" Taeyeon said excitingly, " Just like the old days." 

A grin appeared on my face. 

After several minutes of talking, we all went to the mall. 

It didn't really matter to me, I just wanted to be near Miyoung. 

Miyoung 

I had so much fun today. It's great having all three of us together, like the old days. It reminds me so much of the past and how fun it was back then. I want to relive those days again. 

My tummy started to grumble all of a sudden. 

Aish. Why now, out of all times? 

Wooyoung softly giggled while Taeyeon teased me.

"I'll buy you something to eat," Wooyoung kindly offered.

"You will?" My eyes blinked twice before I took a big gulp of saliva in my mouth.

"Of course." He smiled.

"Oh-- uhm--"

"It's fine, I just want to treat my best friend~"

I felt so bad. I should've been the one offering him food since he just came back from America. But should I really accept his offer? 

I slowly nodded my head and smiled. 

What kind of friend am I?!

I fist palmed my forhead then turned to Wooyoung and politely smiled. 

We ended up entering a bulgogi store. 

How ironic, huh?

Wooyoung

I waited in the line with a smile on my face. 

She's still the same Miyoung that I've always had a crush on. 

When we were younger, she'd always protect me. Even if she were the girl and I was the guy, she'd step up and defend me when I got bullied. She was so tough and a hero to me. Over the years of living in the United States, I've come to miss Miyoung being there, protecting me and continuously there for me. I guess I became dependent when it came to her. I realized that she's the one that I want to protect now. She's been through a lot, I want her to feel safe around me, like how I did with her. I want to defend her like how she defended me. 

"Mr~" The cashier said, "It's your turn to order~"

"Oh that's right," I smiled, "I'd like to order a Dweji bulgogi and a spicy pork bulgogi." 

I took out my wallet and payed the amount of money that was displayed on the cash register. It wasn't expensive. No biggie. 

"Okay, just wait over there, your oder is coming right up!" 

I waited near where Miyoung and Taeyeon sat, still with a smile on my face. 

Miyoung

It was good to catch up with Wooyoung. I'm glad he's doing fine. 

"Miyoung," Wooyoung softly mumbled. 

"What is it?"

"Oh uhm... Nothing..."

I turned back around and noticed Taeyeon signaling something to Wooyoung but I couldn't quite comprehend it. 

"Have you recieved any note recently?"

"Nope~" I said with a confused expression. 

"Mr~" Someone from behind me said. "Your bulgogi is ready!" 

From behind, I could hear Wooyoung walk towards the cash register. 

"Oh, so what were you saying?" 

"Have you recieved any note recently?"

My eyes widened. 

"Oh I did!"

"Really?"

Wooyoung

I grabbed the package filled with the bulgogi i specially ordered for my dear Miyoung and slowly made my way back to them.

"Yeah," I could hear Miyoung say, "The note read something like 'I miss you, Miyoung. Do you remember me? Love, oppa'"

A smile appeared on my face, once again. 

"Do you know who it was?" Taeyeon asked. 

I slowly crept my way up to Miyoung and was ready to reveal that the note was sent from me. 

"It was from Donghae oppa~"

My heart suddenly stopped, the bulgogi that I was holding fell to the floor.

Donghae?